2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Oh, I'm SURE that would be just a peachy addendum to those lofty literary achievements on my resume. 🧐

I promise to tone things down. Be more PG, as it t'wer. Less....um... [searching for right word]...verbose? Stop scratching that creative writing itch I get every time I dismount from a satisfied ride. Nothing like throwing one's leg over a gorgeous full powered sleek and eager ebike to get the blood racing and the eyes sparkling and a storyline conceived. I'd do it [ride, that is] multiple times a day if I could. But that would mean I'd be useless for anything except a collapsed, completely drained human couch potato flung onto the nearest piece of furniture to sleep off one too many cycling "adventures".

Besides the electricity bill going sky high, the dishes in the sink would never get done.

pmcdonald, on the other hand, shows great potential. He sneaks out to ride in the hours of "no tell" when the rest of humanity is asleep, teases us with an "wink wink nudge nudge" implied tale of rough-and-tumble encounters with the Unforgiving Mistress (aka Mother Nature), and leads us on with exciting pictures of indiscrete red lights in the undercover recesses of night. Yup, he could easily fill that nitch you mention. He just needs to step up his game and be a bit more ... verbose.

How about it pmcdonald? Let's have the goods on that tumble threesome with you, the bike, and the hard ground. (Just remember I didn't start this. [Pointing accusing finger at chargeride])
Nice...you posted just as I was on the last stroke with my pocket pump putting a bit more pressure in my rubb....now youve got me at it.

A ride on a cool, windless morning …
Saturday wasn't freezing cold but going outside immediately reminded one that the winter solstice was less than a month away — 6º min; 16º max. (That's a dash, not a minus, in front of the 6; we live in Pine Mountain, Queensland, not Poland. Just an aside: when I googled Pine Mountain in Polish so that I could at least attempt to match R2R's style, the search threw up 10 Best Polish restaurants in Pine Mountain! Oh, come on! There isn't a single place in Pine Mountain where you can spend a cent, not even a corner store let alone ten restaurants serving up Stefan's to-die-for decadent delights!)

A morning ride seemed in order providing it was coffee-delayed until the temperature had edged into double-figures. It turned out to be a pleasant day but one when it would be best to wear long sleeves that were intended to keep one warm rather than to protect from the sun.

The Trek Powerfly was treated to a rare all-tar outing through Brisbane's far western suburbs which are just the other side of the Brisbane River. (Do I ever ride without crossing that river?) Mount Crosby's wooded and rolling hills, where seemingly everyone is required to put up a rail fence and keep a few horses, is pleasant country, even if you're on an ebike.

2020-05-22-093441-2400gb10.jpg

Mount Crosby, Brisbane's far western suburb.

A typical semi-rural Mount Crosby property will have a Queenslander-style home and have partly-cleared paddock for the horses…
2020-05-22-092739-2400-10gb.jpg

A Queenslander home – gate optional; veranda on three sides obligatory.

The old fella takes a break…
2020-05-22-102659-gb10.jpg

A break at Mount Crosby Sportsground.

2020-05-22-map-a.jpg

The Mount Crosby Loop – a favourite ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rode with a friend and his son...we're allowed 6ft distance contact with one other household and unlimited distance 'exercise'...to Maccelsfield Forest which has a 20m loop including Britains highest pub...the Cat and Fiddle.
The locals have made loads of home brew dh tracks in the woods and they were serious stuff, endless steep berms and 3ft gap jumps, no filming there, just hanging on for dear life.
His son rides a Cube Stereo, but his bike is a Salsa Bucksaw full suspension running on 3.8inch front and 4inch rear converted to 750W geared hub.
It was a bu88er to convert as it was thru axle and also the pivot for the suspension.
We lathed up some top hat style nuts to thread onto the hub drive and keep the links moving.

We got collared by the local community bobbies for riding in a restricted area, but all we did was follow an unmarked track that took us into it without us realising
I explained the track and they agreed it needed signposting.
It was a good hours walk to where we were and I think they were basically on a jolly in the woods.

The area is stunning with tiny terraced cottages hanging onto hillsides covered in flowers, posh cafes and 200yr old hotels and pubs.
I'll be going back with the missus next week.
Im getting a security error uploading pics, they were screenshots from the very short vid I made anyway....so I'll just post it.

Another bucket list ride: Cedar Creek Road. Actually not bad traffic for an inappropriately crowded holiday weekend: I saw three other cyclists and six cars, four of them on a short stretch of pavement in the last 3.5 miles.

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 2.23.57 PM.png

People are not practicing social distancing, at least at this trailhead:

HpzvXCcvRjKVpEYM3HCXBQ.jpg

Premium all-weather sandy dirt:

YQasPzzAQWaMNK%9zrn1gQ.jpg

View across the valley (the road you can see is the descent route):

EE5L2qBlT4KjkrDirLpq6Q.jpg

For anyone who thinks weight doesn't matter in an e-bike, please consider the effort required to get your heavy e-bike and your personal hide through this itty-bitty hole surrounded by sharp scratchy dead tree branches:

Qbge+lWITjyQxY21oRuKMA.jpg

A ride on a cool, windless morning …
Saturday wasn't freezing cold but going outside immediately reminded one that the winter solstice was less than a month away — 6º min; 16º max. (That's a dash, not a minus, in front of the 6; we live in Pine Mountain, Queensland, not Poland. Just an aside: when I googled Pine Mountain in Polish so that I could at least attempt to match R2R's style, the search threw up 10 Best Polish restaurants in Pine Mountain! Oh, come on! There isn't a single place in Pine Mountain where you can spend a cent, not even a corner store let alone ten restaurants serving up Stefan's to-die-for decadent delights!)

A morning ride seemed in order providing it was coffee-delayed until the temperature had edged into double-figures. It turned out to be a pleasant day but one when it would be best to wear long sleeves that were intended to keep one warm rather than to protect from the sun.

The Trek Powerfly was treated to a rare all-tar outing through Brisbane's far western suburbs which are just the other side of the Brisbane River. (Do I ever ride without crossing that river?) Mount Crosby's wooded and rolling hills, where seemingly everyone is required to put up a rail fence and keep a few horses, is pleasant country, even if you're on an ebike.

View attachment 53067
Mount Crosby, Brisbane's far western suburb.

A typical semi-rural Mount Crosby property will have a Queenslander-style home and have partly-cleared paddock for the horses…
View attachment 53066
A Queenslander home – gate optional; veranda on three sides obligatory.

The old fella takes a break…
View attachment 53061
A break at Mount Crosby Sportsground.

View attachment 53116
The Mount Crosby Loop – a favourite ride.
Crosby is the town where my mother lives, it was a viking settlement and there a big cross or something..oh here it is.
Krossabyr in Old Norse, meaning "village with the cross".
Im sure your mountain has probably nothing to do with it :)

Crosby is the town where my mother lives, it was a Viking settlement and there a big cross or something..oh here it is.
Krossabyr in Old Norse, meaning "village with the cross".
I'm sure your mountain has probably nothing to do with it.
I think you're spot on with the Old Norse origins!

It appears that Mount Crosby took its name from the Crosby (or Crosbie) clan – kross and byr (cross and farm in Old Norse). There was, perhaps, a Scot named Crosby involved!

Ipswich, our city, was originally called Limestone Hills – for obvious reasons – but in the 1840s the locals, determined to make it the future capital of a new colony, decided that name lacked dignity. If the Moreton Bay Penal Settlement could be renamed Brisbane after the Governor of New South Wales, Limestone could improve its image. Just why they chose Ipswich rather than some other English town is obscure.

The first Queensland rail line ran inland from Ipswich to a place called Bigge's Camp – because that was where Fred Bigge was camped. By this time (mid-1860s when the American Civil War was at its height) Brisbane was the capital of a brand new colony.

The revered Governor and his adored wife (Lady Bowen, the Contessa Diamantina di Roma) were set to visit Bigge's Camp in a carriage pulled by a steam locomotive (gasp!) named the Lady Bowen. Embarrassment! What to do about that plebeian name? Latinise it, of course! Bigge = big = grand; camp = chester. Grandchester! Suitably patrician. And so it remains to this day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rode with a friend and his son...we're allowed 6ft distance contact with one other household and unlimited distance 'exercise'...to Maccelsfield Forest which has a 20m loop including Britains highest pub...the Cat and Fiddle.
The locals have made loads of home brew dh tracks in the woods and they were serious stuff, endless steep berms and 3ft gap jumps, no filming there, just hanging on for dear life.
His son rides a Cube Stereo, but his bike is a Salsa Bucksaw full suspension running on 3.8inch front and 4inch rear converted to 750W geared hub.
It was a bu88er to convert as it was thru axle and also the pivot for the suspension.
We lathed up some top hat style nuts to thread onto the hub drive and keep the links moving.

We got collared by the local community bobbies for riding in a restricted area, but all we did was follow an unmarked track that took us into it without us realising
I explained the track and they agreed it needed signposting.
It was a good hours walk to where we were and I think they were basically on a jolly in the woods.

The area is stunning with tiny terraced cottages hanging onto hillsides covered in flowers, posh cafes and 200yr old hotels and pubs.
I'll be going back with the missus next week.
Im getting a security error uploading pics, they were screenshots from the very short vid I made anyway....so I'll just post it.
Nice bike stuff and all, but what we really need to know is; "How high is Britians highest pub?".

Map-5-23-2020.jpg

The ride that my neighbor and I enjoyed yesterday at the start of the Memorial Day weekend. Not surprisingly there were a healthy number of cyclists all with the same idea, and our local roads proved to be a very popular place to partake in all that enjoyment.

Sadly, no pictures except the one below. We were too busy riding and chatting. Lots of chatting. Chatting while riding side by side, chatting standing at intersections (generally reserved for those deep discussion moments), and even chatting while periodically debating which way we wanted to go to extend our ride. Stopped at her farm to get some fresh veggies from her garden (she had hers planted a month before mine so all her salad greens were up) and take said veggies home for lunch.

Another perfect day out on the bikes.

5-23-2020_cropped-small_scenery.jpg

Last edited:
Just an aside: when I googled Pine Mountain in Polish so that I could at least attempt to match R2R's style, the search threw up 10 Best Polish restaurants in Pine Mountain! Oh, come on!
sosnowa góra -- thanks to Google Translate
Yes, that would be Sosnowa Góra precisely! 🤣 There are at least five locations by that name in Poland.

The Brotherly Ride (Around All Vistula River Bridges in Warsaw and Beyond)

I drove in my brethren lot in Kiełpin (north of Warsaw) at 10 a.m. on Saturday. We had a morning coffee with Jacek and then we were ready for a ride (I had my cycling clothes already on when I arrived to Jacek's place, my backpack prepared, too). Jacek, who is only 3 years younger than me, is fit and strong. We were both interested about my Giant Trance E+ real range and whether a 25 km/h e-bike could keep up with a fast traditional MTB rider.

I was unaware that Jacek's plan was to fulfil my dream: Riding around all River Vistula bridges in Warsaw. Actually, I know all the routes there but I've never completed the round trip around all ten bridges we have in our capital city. (There's the bridge #11 under construction now). One really warm day I will do some even more interesting trip with riding over the all ride-able bridges and taking a plenty of pictures. Not on our latest ride, as Jacek is all about the ride, and he hates making stops :D He added several kilometres to the trip to show me several things I might be interested with for our future rides.

The maximum power-assisted speed of my Giant was 26.2 km/h. Which was rather sad, as overtaking slower cyclists had to be done on pedals only. Jacek cooperated very well, he was in the lead over almost the entire ride. The full suspension is worth every money! Whatever the terrain was, the ride was smooth and comfortable. (There was a single exception, read on).

Conquering The Slab

To my surprise, Jacek standard route had never extended southwards beyond the Łazienkowski Bridge. "Why don't we ride up to the Siekierkowski Bridge? I know all the routes there!" -- I suggested, and we rode even further southwards. Yes, I had known all the routes there except one. So we rode through an extremely narrow concrete embankment of the Vistula (it was dangerous because one could fall into the river there), then we negotiated the Ulga Canal through a silly gangplank, and we found ourselves at the lowest level under the Siekierkowski Bridge. No-one really uses that route since there are plethora of bike paths above, at the Miedzeszyński Wall (embankment). And we met The Slab (sorry, no pictures taken!) It was a buttress supporting a pathway above. A concrete slab of at least 45 degrees or more. You could just walk up the stairs, walking your bike sideways...

-- Walking the bike up?! I?! -- I was looking at The Slab with contempt (and with awe at the same time) while I was slowly riding towards it. Left thumb dialling the Max Assist mode, the right thumb energetically downshifting to the granny gear...

I made it. It was something I could only see in dreams before. The front wheel was ready to fall off the wall -- I pushed my weight on the bars -- The Monster crawled up the slab as if it were a giant spider. I made it! Glory to Electric Mountain Bikes! If the rider has no fear, the e-MTB is fearless too! Oh my... Jacek stood with his jaw dropped.

1590301899305.png

My Monster and me at the Żerań Pedestrian/Bike Bridge, over the Royal Canal.

1590302148996.png

My mentor Jacek, wearing a quality breathable face-mask.

1590302298116.png

There are several water intakes in Warsaw, all looking alike. Some of them are built in the middle of the river. The ones you can easily see bear nicknames such as Fat Kaśka, Slim Wojtek. I could see this specific water intake for the first time in my life, so well it is hidden from the view. The bridge in the background it the Siekierkowski, the most southern of Warsaw bridges (until the Southern Bridge is completed).

1590302775942.png

I'm not sure if the paving you see is used in your country. A Polish engineer Władysław Tryliński patented it in 1933. It is made from hexagonal blocks of concrete and we call it "trylinka", the tri-link. When it gets damaged, it becomes the only type of the road surface the full suspension bike is incapable to tolerate 🤣

1590303042139.png

Jacek, the Warsaw Mermaid, and the Świętokrzyski (Holy Cross) Bridge. We're at the left river bank there.

1590303370898.png

The arrows indicate the most apart Warsaw bridges.

1590303627762.png

I was very satisfied with the ride. The range would be 75 km if I travelled at the maximum power-assisted speed or more if I rode alone but slower. The riding experience was just fantastic!

Last edited:
Back