2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
My wife has been playing tennis for the last 25 years. Last year I took some lessons and started plying down at the local club. The courts are about 5km away and with an elevation difference of ~250m. it seemed a waste to drive my pickup down to the club for a couple of hours of play but I was just not enthused about the concept of hopping on my full suspension MTB to cycle 5km uphill after playing tennis.

Part of my justification to purchase my first eBike in March was to allow me to get to the club without feeling guilty about using my pickup truck. The Covid-19 sturck. Now all organized recreation activities are closed including our tennis centre. But I still have my bike and am riding regardless.

One of my new routes is down to the waterfront and terminating at our local provincial park. Both the waterfront and the park are some of my local birding sites, so I will strap on my binoculars and carry on.

200324 Sunoka.jpg

We live near a US Covid 19 epicenter. I turn 70 this year, I have heart issues so I am both high risk for getting Covid 19 and high risk of not getting anything but palliative care if I do get it. Nancy and I have been house bound for three weeks, constant hand washing. doing rigorous disinfection of anything that comes into our home, no guests, family included. We do get out to walk the dog and ride our bikes. We don't stop and talk to anyone. Ride out, ride back, avoid mixed use trails and stay on the road. That keeps enough distance. The weather has allowed me to ride 9 of the past 11 days but the current forecast does not bode well.

Blossoming cherry trees and some fun memes.
Alaskan:

It appears you have both a Brooks saddle and Kinekt seat post on your Trek. That's a combination I am considering.

Three weeks ago my daughter, her husband and their 2 young children moved in with us. The schools in their town just outside Boston had been closed and we had a prearranged plan. My daughter is under 40 but has serious asthma. She and her husband can both work remotely so coming to our fairly remote corner of Northeastern Connecticut seemed wise. We are fortunate to have 2 houses next door to each other on 35 acres of forestland . One is our home and one my workshop and gallery. They would live in the gallery portion which can also be a guest house. The 4 adults would share childcare and education while still working. My wife and I are self employed and semi retired so our schedules are very flexible.

The change has been both jarring and good. Both Marji and I are in our late 60’s and healthy other than the creaks of age. Ramping up to kid speed took some time. Little kids have so much energy. Fortunately somehow they share it with us and we both feel younger and more energetic although we fall into bed early. Having their giggles and laughter as well as crying and complaining makes these lonely times bearable. The days pass quickly but so far there isn't an end in sight.

Other than biking and 2 quick shopping trips no one has left our land for 3 weeks. We have now learned how Instacart works and have food delivered from a local store. We all miss others but are glad to have each other. Our daughter and son-in-law have adapted to working with slow rural internet augmented with wireless hotspots. The major carriers have removed data caps for 2 months so that helps.

Biking is limited to 90 minutes in the late afternoon weather permitting. No more 3 and 4 hour rides for me for the duration. The weather is warming up and we’ve had a few stellar days that make everything seem better. During rides we have noticed more folks out gardening, walking and biking. Everyone exchanges big smiles but stays clear of each other.

I want to thank everyone for sharing their stories. This is a hard time made easier by sharing.

IMG_4951.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

Last night the weather prediction was for rain all day. It was pouring early this morning but stopped around 9 and then became mostly sunny with a 15- mph breeze. Nancy and I jumped at the opportunity to get a ride in and did a thirty mile cruise around the northern shore of Bellingham Bay.

20200329_135310.jpg

20200329_135247.jpg

march29 ride.jpg

I decided to take the Turbo Como to the grocery store and saw this on the way there, a fitting sign of the times?

lake theater.jpg

This steed was parked, quite appropriately, at the correct social distance from mine when I finished shopping.
prodecotech.jpg

I waited around to talk to the owner but his English was weak, my Spanish even weaker. But I did manage to find out a friend of his in Mexico sold it to him and he said he likes it.

Saw this on the other side of the sign on the return trip.
theater joke.jpg

Maybe when they reopen it will be as a comedy club?

High point of the ride …
2020-03-24-water-tank-ebr.jpg

Rothwell on Redcliffe Peninsula, Queensland
Click photo to fill screen.
There's nowhere particularly high on the Redcliffe Peninsula but a slight rise has to do for the water tank. Being higher than everywhere else is all that matters!

Pelicans are seen on almost every ride close to the sea. Brolgas (Antigone rubicunda), Australian native cranes, are a rare treat, although they are common further north in the tropical wetlands. A pair of rakali (Hydromys chrysogaster) hide beneath.

Now back to Mario's mobile espresso for the next coffee!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wicked rainy today, and it has been chilly all week. So my rides were fairly short:

Town park and river:

IMG_9379.JPG

Going higher from home. It gets full of snow quickly! I've been looking at some roads with binoculars that appear to be open, but often times the lower approaches still have a lot of very icy snow. Just past this photo there was a snow pile about 4 feet deep across the road:

IMG_9381.JPG

"April Is A Weaver - It Weaves Some Summer With Some Winter" (a Polish saying)

Hey, but that's still the month of March? I basically could not stay at home and had known what I was getting into. I knew the weather forecast already in the week before. Temps just above 0 C (32 F); the puddles were frozen. Stiff frosty northerly wind of 25 km/h, often with stronger bursts. I wore my Winter Armor #2 (the #1 is reserved for frost and snow), rode out my Vado as that e-bike handles upwind better than the Good Ole Mule thanks to its powerful mid-drive motor. Heading North, always having the outbound ride into the wind.

The plan was to encircle a half of the Kampinos National Park (KPN). Beware of the moose!

The outbound ride was terrible. Dreary weather, intermittent snowing (not very much; yet, heheh), hard wind to overcome. At least I was prepared with my clothing although ears were somewhat suffering from the cold blows. From time to time, glorious sunshine happened to appear. At such moments the wind used to slack a little and my morale was boosted. Not for long time though.

More on the ride in the picture captions, it's gonna be dramatic at times :) I covered the most of the 50+ miles in the Sport mode customised to 50% support because I needed a solid workout. I made the last 17 km in full Turbo mode because I was very tired and only needed to survive. Funny thing, the wind stopped blowing when I was coming back, no assistance of that power of Nature.

I need to say my Vado, or Turbo Vado as an e-bike model is perfect. Regardless of really adverse and varying conditions it ran noiselessly at constant speed, could handle massive side wind gusts with a snowfall well, the Electrak 2.0 tyres had excellent traction on any surface, disregarding dry or wet, smooth or damaged. Hard to believe I could safely and with full trust make 85 km under the weather I experienced on that trip.

1585601987029.png

Light snowing on Hwy 579 before Leszno. I was riding into the wind and the weather was gloomy.

1585602147594.png

The State Academy for The Circus Arts in Julinek. That school has a very long tradition. Notice a short moment at which the Sun appeared.

1585602448302.png

The South-North Hwy 579 divides the KPN into two parts. The moose are dangerous there. The speed limit is 60 km/h but few drivers respect that. The road is the fastest connection of my place to the Warsaw Modlin Airport (WMI) operated by Ryanair. A large parking lot at my right hand side was closed as well as the best tourist entry to the KPN was blocked (see the white-red tape).

1585602780744.png

Reptiles, deer/elk, cows. So many dangers on that borough road going through the KPN! I was especially scared of the cows, the murderous beasts! 🤣

1585602953408.png

The administrator of the village of Truskawka (literally: Strawberry) is a pigeon-fancier. I was wondering who the people living inside the KPN were and I guess they must be foresters. Note: Snowing again! "April Is A Weaver"....

1585603150878.png

Sunshine again! Entering the region of Łomianki, which is probably one of the richest boroughs in Poland. Businesses everywhere. The road behind the trees is the S7 expressway (Warsaw - Gdańsk).

1585603341023.png

The Winter hit back when I was riding through Kiełpin (where my brethren live). It was a heavy snowfall. I'm loving it! "April Is A Weaver"... Still in March?

1585603487218.png

PhD Eng. Stefan went into a dustbin :D (Parzniew, 5 km from home).

1585603635120.png

Not bad, taking the circumstances into account.

1585603756418.png

The usual bullshit of Endomondo. "Mostly sunny"! A joke or what?!

Last edited:
"April Is A Weaver - It Weaves Some Summer With Some Winter" (a Polish saying)

Hey, but that's still the month of March? I basically could not stay at home and had known what I was getting into. I knew the weather forecast already in the week before. Temps just above 0 C (32 F); the puddles were frozen. Stiff frosty northerly wind of 25 km/h, often with stronger bursts. I wore my Winter Armor #2 (the #1 is reserved for frost and snow), rode out my Vado as that e-bike handles upwind better than the Good Ole Mule thanks to its powerful mid-drive motor. Heading North, always having the outbound ride into the wind.

The plan was to encircle a half of the Kampinos National Park (KPN). Beware of the moose!

The outbound ride was terrible. Dreary weather, intermittent snowing (not very much; yet, heheh), hard wind to overcome. At least I was prepared with my clothing although ears were somewhat suffering from the cold blows. From time to time, glorious sunshine happened to appear. At such moments the wind used to slack a little and my morale was boosted. Not for long time though.

More on the ride in the picture captions, it's gonna be dramatic at times :) I covered the most of the 50+ miles in the Sport mode customised to 50% support because I needed a solid workout. I made the last 17 km in full Turbo mode because I was very tired and only needed to survive. Funny thing, the wind stopped blowing when I was coming back, no assistance of that power of Nature.

I need to say my Vado, or Turbo Vado as an e-bike model is perfect. Regardless of really adverse and varying conditions it ran noiselessly at constant speed, could handle massive side wind gusts with a snowfall well, the Electrak 2.0 tyres had excellent traction on any surface, disregarding dry or wet, smooth or damaged. Hard to believe I could safely and with full trust make 85 km under the weather I experienced on that trip.

View attachment 48671
Light snowing on Hwy 579 before Leszno. I was riding into the wind and the weather was gloomy.

View attachment 48672
The State Academy for The Circus Arts in Julinek. That school has a very long tradition. Notice a short moment at which the Sun appeared.

View attachment 48673
The South-North Hwy 579 divides the KPN into two parts. The moose are dangerous there. The speed limit is 60 km/h but few drivers respect that. The road is the fastest connection of my place to the Warsaw Modlin Airport (WMI) operated by Ryanair. A large parking lot at my right hand side was closed as well as the best tourist entry to the KPN was blocked (see the white-red tape).

View attachment 48674
Reptiles, deer/elk, cows. So many dangers on that borough road going through the KPN! I was especially scared of the cows, the murderous beasts! 🤣

View attachment 48675
The administrator of the village of Truskawka (literally: Strawberry) is a pigeon-fancier. I was wondering who the people living inside the KPN were and I guess they must be foresters. Note: Snowing again! "April Is A Weaver"....

View attachment 48676
Sunshine again! Entering the region of Łomianki, which is probably one of the richest boroughs in Poland. Businesses everywhere. The road behind the trees is the S7 expressway (Warsaw - Gdańsk).

View attachment 48677
The Winter hit back when I was riding through Kiełpin (where my brethren live). It was a heavy snowfall. I'm loving it! "April Is A Weaver"... Still in March?

View attachment 48678
PhD Eng. Stefan went into a dustbin :D (Parzniew, 5 km from home).

View attachment 48680
Not bad, taking the circumstances into account.

View attachment 48683
The usual bullshit of Endomondo. "Mostly sunny"! A joke or what?!
Stefan, you are racking up lots of epic rides. You are looking markedly slimmer since you first came on the scene. I know the weight loss is not from a diet of deprivation, as you share photos of some of your yummy Polish food. You are clearly burning lots of calories though. How much weight have you left behind on the roads of Poland?

I lost 11 kg (24 lb) since the beginning of January @Alaskan. I attribute the body mass loss to three factors:
  1. Metformin (anti-diabetes drug) that I believe contributes to the weight loss;
  2. Careful diet. I use no sugar. I eat regularly but far less than before and take care what I eat. Quite a lot of protein, low-carb, some fats but not too much. Sometimes I eat pączki or cake as a reward for a hard work-out :)
  3. Hard work-out almost everyday. I believe now any time less than two hours of the active ride is a ride lost.
I don't know how long the trend would keep but my objective is to get down to 92 kg (203 lbs), which is the weight I had 15 years ago. Any further weight loss will be a bonus.

These courts would normally be filled with players, once it gets above 7C, but we have not even installed the nets yet.

View attachment 48616

The end point of this ride is Sunoka Park on Okanagan Lake.

View attachment 48615View attachment 48615
ah Summerland, that is quite the drop down to the lake, ( your e-bike will certainly help getting back up) imo Summerland has the friendliest wineries of the Okanagon Valley at the best prices, hmm, a "bottle neck wine tour on e-bikes"

Under the Moreton Bay Fig …
2020-03-24-shorncliffe-house.jpg

Shorncliffe, Brisbane
Click photo to fill screen.
Photo is geotagged to show location.
An enviable place to live? This mid-twentieth century weatherboard home is in Brisbane's northern suburb of Shorncliffe close to Cabbage Tree Creek (mosquito creek?) where the prawn trawlers are based.

More significantly, it's right on the Moreton Bay Cycleway and I've passed it for years on my way to Mario's mobile espresso and beyond. I could live there in contentment.

2020-03-24-shorncliffe-map.jpg

here's the Vogon poem I mentioned. And the field I used to pick my feeders from when Malcolm was still with us.

Flattening

Your live heart pumping wind

Pedaling off the seat getting it

Cropping curves along a rough road

Vibration visceral white noise

All praise the cleanly edged smooth avenue

Yet wasn't the bad road where

Flattening the bend you scattered the guineas

Their following racket so satisfying
Joe S.

IMG_0054.JPG

Back