2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
In Puszcza Mariańska

"Puszcza" means "primeval forest". When I announced to my FB friends I was going to Puszcza Mariańska, a friend exclaimed:
-- But the public access to parks and forests has just been banned! -- I could not help laughing. The name is just a place-name, not any actual forest. There is a monastery of the Congregation of Marian Fathers in the village, and the remains of the primeval forest surround the village, hence the name, "Marian Primeval Forest".

I hope everybody will forgive me if I cease using the word "wind" in my short stories. My dream is the powerful power of Nature would take a couple of days of well deserved vacation in some near future... Regarding the weather, it was very confusing. The temperature was around 10 C (50 F) but it was alternately warm and cold, depending on the Sun shining or being hidden behind clouds. I had a set of clothes in my pannier and could regulate what I wore at a given ride segment.

I planned a 50 mile ride but was not aware the Power of Nature I Don't Mention Anymore and riding on a reduced PAS would make me tired sooner than I expected. On 22 mile to finish I restored the default motor assistance levels. On 15 miles to finish I went into the full Turbo Mode. The first battery was good for 55 km (34 mi) meaning I was really saving the power on the way out!

I should take some rest now but how would I lose more weight without riding? 😊

Ah. The impressions about the Baramind BAM Trek shock-absorbing handlebars: Not a replacement for a good suspension fork but rather a nice complement. Was it a damaged blacktop or gravel, I could retain a grip on the handlebars without having my body shaken to the level I would need to exclaim: "Mamma mia!" :D It is nice to be able just to ride over a speed bump and not be standing on the pedals. I think the PNW Coast Suspension Dropper Post also contributes to the ride comfort but I haven't still got the BodyFloat Kinekt suspension seat-post so I miss the comparison.

1586063793636.png

On entering the Marian Primeval Forest. It was pretty warm at that moment. The temperature dropped soon. The first thing to change were the gloves.

1586063966170.png

Yes! They had pączki in Jaktorów! I allowed myself to eat the first one only at the 18th mile of the ride and kept the other one until the 28th mile. Delicious! That rose jam inside!

1586064349871.png

I do love brand new roads such as this one (4719W). Just built from the State funds and the infrastructure such as the ditch has to be completed yet. Near Wola Polska (Polishville).

When I reached Mszczonów, a guy there made a rant against e-bikes! "These don't help your health!" -- if I haven't known better :D

1586064559559.png

A lovely wooden church from 1678 (the bell-tower is from 1822) in Skuły. There is something more important than buildings to tell you about: the people. At the 55th kilometre I stopped to replace the battery, to have a drink and take a short rest. A man came out from his home at the opposite side and shouted -- Are you OK? Any help needed? -- While it is natural to North Americans to offer help, it was not the fact for the Poles. The epidemics has changed the people in my country; they take care now, are very polite and helpful. And any talk ends up with "Stay Healthy!" I'm moved.

1586065119035.png

The route as planned.

1586065312027.png

Relevant and true ride data.

Last edited:
A town & country ride …
I had no plan for my last ride. I just needed to be gone for a few hours.

At the bottom of our lane I turned right – it could just as easily have been left – and in two kilometres the trusty Powerfly was across the Warrego Highway and heading south along minor roads. This is an area waiting to be gobbled up by Ipswich's urban sprawl. Here, dilapidated farmhouses from more than a century ago await destruction. There must be tens of thousands of old buildings like this around the world…

2020-04-03-karrabin-ebr.jpg

Karrabin (5 km on map), Ipswich, QLD

An hour after crossing the highway, I crossed it again (25.5 km) and headed north along gravel roads and through the forests and farmland…
2020-04-03-map.jpg

Ipswich – west of Brisbane, QLD
On (and off) the map…
  • 4 km : School – Three decades ago, locals scoffed: Why build a school in the country? Because the city will expand to engulf it!
  • 5 km : Dilapidated farmhouse in photo.
  • 9–13 km : Brisbane Valley Rail Trail. You can follow it beyond as it crosses the highway and then snakes its way through the forest.
  • 16–20 km : Unnamed rail trail – actually the first railway in Queensland and reputably the first narrow gauge main line in the world.
  • 22 km : Shopping centre on the north bank of the Bremer River.
  • 26–52 km : Country roads and rail trail all the way home.

Yes! They had pączki in Jaktorów! I allowed myself to eat the first one only at the 18th mile of the ride and kept the other one until the 28th mile. Delicious! That rose jam inside!
Ha! I’m somewhat convinced that the reason I enjoy riding so much is that it means I get to eat more! I’ve added a thousand calories to my daily intake and am still maintaining my weight thanks to the long rides.

Ha! I’m somewhat convinced that the reason I enjoy riding so much is that it means I get to eat more! I’ve added a thousand calories to my daily intake and am still maintaining my weight thanks to the long rides.
I'm a diabetic and I really shouldn't... Besides, my weight doesn't go down anymore. No more sweets!

A ride down to the lake behind our place, I don't think we'll be getting the old canoe in the water anytime soon with still a couple feet of ice that need some warm weather to dissolve - spring is slow this year and no sign of green in the grass or buds in the bushes yet, but still so much fun to switch to turbo and easily power up out of the lake bottom flushing out a covey of hungarian partridge and at the top a pheasant that escaped the winter prowling of the fox den close by, and just as I reached the top the sun cracked through with some much needed warmth and all in the world seemed fine at that moment, got home just in time for supper and happy hour and at least for a couple of hours escaped the all to familiar slant on the news, be well everybody
20200404_172645.jpg

Jordan Lake near Farrington, North Carolina. I have friends who live a couple miles away from this spot. I took a minute to ride through their neighborhood and much to my surprise, my friend
was sitting on a rocking chair on his front porch. I stayed out on the sidewalk and he stayed on his porch and we chatted for a bit. I road to the lake, stopped
to sit at a picnic table next to a church (church was closed), then road the 16 miles home. The Bosch 500 battery works out very well for the way I've been riding
recently. Yes, more is always better but, for any day ride done mostly at Eco, it's been fine. In fact I took this 33 mile ride after having done a 30 mile ride a couple
days earlier on the same charge and still had 10-15 miles left to go.

1586109471663.png
1586109471663.png

IMG_20200404_122418536_HDR~2.jpg

On my 18 mile gravel road ride the other day I did not expect to see a dinosaur standing alongside the road. I also did not expect to see that dinosaur casually conversing with a horse. One does not see that too often so ... I simply had to stop.

This is Daisy. Daisy is a modern day dinosaur. Daisy was busy keeping company with a neighboring horse when she saw me ride up the road. She decided I might be a better conversationalist than said horse, and so she casually strolled over to cluck hello.

I decided Daisy was photo-worthy, so took my phone off the handbar cage to grab a snapshot...just as Daisy's owner drove by in an SUV. I saw the SUV slow down, stop for a few seconds, then drive on.

Daisy paused her chicken walk for one photo, then resumed walking towards me for the next photo...just as Daisy's owner returned from turning around somewhere up the road, and stopped near my bike.

Daisy's owner, who turned out to be a lovely young lady going by the name of Savannah, got out of her SUV and proceeded to scold the little dinosaur for having crossed over to the other side of the road. (Chicken joke. Couldn't resist). Daisy was happy to be tucked under Savannah's arm to be carried back to the proper side of the road while Savannah and I chatted. Because of the pandemic, Savannah's two grade school kids were at home and the entire family was busy trying to stay busy. By the end of our chat Savannah was thrilled that I was going to drop off some litter bags so that she and the kids could spend some time accomplishing a goal of doing "good works for the community" by cleaning trash off her stretch of the gravel road .

Meanwhile, Daisy had become bored being tucked in Savannah's arm and had flapped her way free, gliding down to the ground to begin a slow stroll up her own driveway to her owner's barn. That was our clue for Savannah and I both to be on our way as well.

When I got back home I put together a swag bag for each of Savannah's 2 kids. Each bag contained: an orange littler bag, an blaze orange-shirt, gloves, small cloth grocery bag, and a drink bottle. Plus a grabber stick for picking up litter without touching it. I'll be hopping on my bike today to deliver the goods. I think the kids will get a kick out of doing a litter patrol project with all these goodies, Savannah will be able to achieve her goal for the kids to do something for the community, and all the cyclists riding the road near Savannah's farm will be able to enjoy a litter free road.

A win-win.

Sometimes a bike ride is more than just a ride. Sometime it's meeting dinosaurs, and helping a neighbor achieve a goal with projects for two already bored-to-tears out of school kids just looking for something interesting to do.

It will be nice seeing that stretch of road sparkling clean on my next ride. And I'll have Daisy the dinosaur to thank for it.

The rail trail with no name …
2020-04-06-brassall.jpg

Brassall, Ipswich, Queensland
If you know where to look, you can find an historical marker detailing the history of this area of Ipswich just west of Brisbane. In the first half of the 1860s, when Queensland had just become a colony and war was raging in the US, surveyors chose this corridor for the colony's new railway.

Money was limited – a massive residence for the new Governor (the Queen's representative, not the people's) had depleted the colony's reserves – so a narrow-gauge rail system was chosen. This is where it ran. Fortunately the corridor was never sold after the line was rerouted.

Queensland's trains still run on narrow gauge lines! Such is history.

Last edited by a moderator:
A narrow gauge once ran through the very back of my farm. Nearby you still see the vast gully created When Union Calvary off loaded on their way to the battle of yellow Tavern

Bremer River, Ipswich …
2020-04-06-bremer-ebr.jpg

Bremer River, Ipswich, QLD
I took this photograph from near Wharf Street. Times have changed: the wharves are gone and paddle steamers no longer chug up the Bremer River to Ipswich when the tide is favourable as it was when I took a break. Timing the 80 km trip upstream from Brisbane trip to coincide with a rising ride would have been crucial.

The paddle steamer in the 1870 photo would have been unloading supplies and loading farm produce at the old wharf which was midway between where I was stopped and the 'new' (1965) bridge. Where the paddle steamers were turned around is revealed in the map.

In the background is the road bridge linking Ipswich Central (our left; south) with North Ipswich. When floodwaters threaten the David Trumpy Bridge the town is in serious trouble. Fortunately, this only happens when there is a once-in-thousand-years flood. Don't breathe a sigh of relief, that happened in 1974 and 2011.

Ipswich_paddlesteamer_1870.jpg

Ipswich Wharf, 1870
2020-04-06-map-2-ebr.jpg

Photo taken at X, looking upstream (west).

Last edited by a moderator:
We’ve had some days with decent temperatures. Yesterday calm and about 11°C. Did 28km with a light rain for the last 13km.

1586203173670.jpeg

There is a small island called Skeppsholmen just above the X on the map. That’s where Benny Andersson, one of the Bs in 70’s pop group ABBA, has his company Mono Music and studio. Picture below shows the building where the mixing studio is. His recording studio RMV is in another similar building nearby. These houses were built as warehouses for the navy around 1870.

1586203857383.jpeg

Next picture is also from yesterday. Taken before the picture above. Cherry trees in the city center. Still a bit pale but in a few days I suppose cherry blossoms will have full coulor.

1586204521610.jpeg

Today was warmer, 13-14°C, but windy. Did 33km. Picture to show you it’s still early to say spring is here. Very few green leaves.

1586204426626.jpeg

Out today looking for legs that have faded with sickness...today too beautiful to sit in my chair so stopped often on my ten mile jaunt to take pictures. The house down this road I once went to looking for a lost calf...an acre of azaleas in bloom. This cattle farm is where my little place backs up to and where the Union unloaded many calvary from the small gauge railroad that ran through on the attack to Yellow Tavern. You can still see the wide artificial running up a hill from a thousand horses.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    683.8 KB · Views: 322
Yeah, I forgot that today. Went our for a short ride but ended up huffing and puffing up the last hill towards home after I heard and felt that THUD when the battery kicked off. Lesson: when it says you have 26 miles of range left, don’t believe it.

Lesson: when it says you have 26 miles of range left, don’t believe it.
Luckily, none of my bikes has the range indicator and I calculate the things mentally, taking into account the varying conditions such as the Mighty Power of Nature, Name Of I Promised Not To Mention :D Luckily, no hills here.

The coming Wednesday will be a single day in months when the Said Power is going to take vacation. I plan a metric century.

The entrance to my road. Next the horse farm next door. The earlier occupant Smilin' Jack well digger/bootlegger murdered his family ( after beating another murder charge in Richmond years before)...I still remember him as better company than the present occupants. Further down the stream that feeds the wetlands where I often go in search of the Great Blue Heron that often commutes home in the evening flying over my house like a pterodactyl. Further at the solid end the field where Jack kept his Piper Cub.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    847.4 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    712.9 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    932.9 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    932.9 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    614.1 KB · Views: 307
Ended up huffing and puffing up the last hill towards home after I heard and felt that THUD when the battery kicked off.
Dave, I think there are quite few of us who've had similar experiences. I often switch to Turbo as I near the end of a ride – just for fun, of course, but I've frightened myself more than once!
The entrance to my road.
Mulezen, the photo with the brook beyond the fence is so evocative of times long past when I live in England. One seldom sees streams like that around here.

Back