2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Definitely not the place, or the time, to run into trouble …
With Jason, Alan and Bill out of sight down the Blackbutt Range, I was on my own again. Even the unseen bellbirds (Manorina melanophrys) who had made their presence known by their constant bell-like calls were gone. No snakes or kangaroos, although the latter would be out soon.

Would I reach Linville before needing to swap batteries – the one whose presence in my Ortlieb E-Mate bag has already been surmised? I had left the top of the range with the Powerfly's Purion display showing 7 km left in Eco assist. With half of the 20 km descent behind me, the prediction had increased to 11 km. Who needs regenerative charging (not possible on a centre-drive)?

Such thoughts were suddenly dispelled. Whoosh! Instant flat. So much for tubeless tyres…

Bontrager Tyre Repair

In my opinion the Trek Powerfly has one major flaw; its tyres are almost impossible to prise off the rims. What should I do? Attempt the impossible and risk being left with an ebike in pieces (it's happened before) or commence the two-hour walk to Linville?

What happened? This from familiar voices.

Jason, Alan and Bill rolled to a halt behind me! This was not possible; they'd headed off down the range ahead of me! They were more interested in helping me out of my impossible situation than explaining how they'd pulled off the impossible. Definitely good friends to have. (They had taken a side trail to visit the site of an old fettlers' camp.)

Impossible was banished from my vocabulary and ten minutes later – or maybe it was fifteen – we were on our way to meet Kaye who would soon be my driver back to Toogoolawah.

Dave, you ride ahead this time! I did so cautiously.

My wallet was lighter by twenty dollars which should be retrieved by Trek's mechanics when they fit a replacement tyre today.

Squint at the tyre photo and you might just see the missing AU$20 note, a bit of dirty orange plastic trying to escape through the slit.

Last edited by a moderator:
First time running out of battery and 10km from home after a 50km ride with a wrong turn. As luck would have it I ran into my boss at the corner of the Hwy buying maple syrup from the Mennonites. Loaded the bike on the truck and made it home.....Definately considering an extra battery...View attachment 47474
I almost had the same problem today on a 55 mile ride, the last 25 miles were into a 40mph headwind and it really depleted my battery! I knew I had some 10% climbs coming so I turned the assist off on the flat parts and dropped into a low gear to keep my cadence up, I got home with 5% remaining! My legs are feeling it now ;)

Definitely not the place, or the time, to run into trouble …
With Jason, Alan and Bill out of sight down the Blackbutt Range, I was on my own again. Even the unseen bellbirds (Manorina melanophrys) who had made their presence known by their constant bell-like calls were gone. No snakes or kangaroos, although the latter would be out soon.

Would I reach Linville before needing to swap batteries – the one whose presence in my Ortlieb E-Mate bag has already been surmised? I had left the top of the range with the Powerfly's Purion display showing 7 km left in Eco assist. With half of the 20 km descent behind me, the prediction had increased to 11 km. Who needs regenerative charging (not possible on a centre-drive)?

Such thoughts were suddenly dispelled. Whoosh! Instant flat. So much for tubeless tyres…

In my opinion the Trek Powerfly has one major flaw; its tyres are almost impossible to prise off the rims. What should I do? Attempt the impossible and risk being left with an ebike in pieces (it's happened before) or commence the two-hour walk to Linville?

What happened? This from familiar voices.

Jason, Alan and Bill rolled to a halt behind me! This was not possible; they'd headed off down the range ahead of me! They were more interested in helping me out of my impossible situation than explaining how they'd pulled off the impossible. Definitely good friends to have. (They had taken a side trail to visit the site of an old fettlers' camp.)

Impossible was banished from my vocabulary and ten minutes later – or maybe it was fifteen – we were on our way to meet Kaye who would soon be my driver back to Toogoolawah.

Dave, you ride ahead this time! I did so cautiously.

My wallet was lighter by twenty dollars which should be retrieved by Trek's mechanics when they fit a replacement tyre today.

Squint at the tyre photo and you might just see the missing AU$20 note, a bit of orange plastic trying to escape through the slit.
At least it wasn't the bike that failed this time and although you were unlucky with the puncture, your luck returned when help arrived:)

Discovered this waterfall in the middle of this huge sub division this morning. I was going to this super fancy sports place I found on google. It had 4 baseball fields all nice and fancy.

Attachments

• 79AD9E20-BCB5-48F8-8D6A-3254D464CF99.jpeg
    79AD9E20-BCB5-48F8-8D6A-3254D464CF99.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 311
  • DAA25B57-FF0D-429B-B4DB-2C6A1330EDCF.jpeg
    DAA25B57-FF0D-429B-B4DB-2C6A1330EDCF.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 317
  • 50C6AFDD-9258-4B56-92A6-B3F75EED4FB6.jpeg
    50C6AFDD-9258-4B56-92A6-B3F75EED4FB6.jpeg
    952.6 KB · Views: 332
  • 4648F6D7-167D-4EB9-B436-8936C8E886C7.jpeg
    4648F6D7-167D-4EB9-B436-8936C8E886C7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 311
  • C159E805-6D23-4ADC-B479-FB7EBD8241C2.jpeg
    C159E805-6D23-4ADC-B479-FB7EBD8241C2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 318
  • 88DE762E-AF8D-492D-9933-232F4FA3916A.jpeg
    88DE762E-AF8D-492D-9933-232F4FA3916A.jpeg
    871 KB · Views: 322
  • 102341EF-0EAD-4CBA-9DB6-E10CA58B5DA5.jpeg
    102341EF-0EAD-4CBA-9DB6-E10CA58B5DA5.jpeg
    931 KB · Views: 319
  • 919106DC-E104-4AD2-B5C1-2031A089C042.jpeg
    919106DC-E104-4AD2-B5C1-2031A089C042.jpeg
    995.9 KB · Views: 334
The Fifty Mile Loop (Ça plane pour moi) :)

I made a meticulous planning for the promised route at night (when I could not sleep). Then I took a nap. At 8 a.m. it was -4 C outside! Did my plan fail? Not at all. The weather forecasts provided by Mapy.cz are very accurate! The app promised mellow wind and temperatures above the freezing point from 10 a.m. with temperatures constantly rising with stiffening southerly wind. I planned the route the way it would be 50 miles, the initial long segment would be upwind (just 4 m/s, I can live with that). The lion share of the return way would be either with the wind or with side-wind, leaving the upwind for very short riding segment near to home. Believe it or not, the plan's succeeded in 100%!

It was sunshine and blue skies all the way, it was very cold despite of the temperature. Full winter suit on all the way (even the winter gloves were necessary) but it was the pure joy of riding even if the wind began howling in my earflaps near to the end of the journey. The cold air was even refreshing! I returned home in the full sunshine, quite early as for me.

1584310147871.png

The roads belonged to road-cyclists today. A single large truck, few cars and if I met anyone it was a road-cyclist. They care. They practise all year round.

1584310300925.png

Near to the village of Skuły. The Skulski family were big landowners in the area until 1864. After the lost January Uprising of 1863 against Russia, the Skulski land was confiscated, given as a gratification to the Russian general Mikhail Skobelev and the Russian colonists were settled in the Skulski's villages. No trace of the Russian nowadays.

As you may know, a large Polish workforce has immigrated to the UK, Ireland or Norway in recent years. They were replaced in Poland by Ukrainian labour. Nowadays, when you are served at a gas station, a restaurant, in a store, at a hotel, there is more chance the person would be Ukrainian than Polish here. The booth at the right hand side is an office of a labour housing agent. Indeed, I spoke with an Ukrainian lady in Frogsville today (she had to wait for a Warsaw bus for an hour) and the customers of the popular "Żabka" chain-store (that is opened on Sundays as the owner-company pretends the stores are post-offices) were all Ukrainian.

1584311107125.png

All the fantastic roads just for me! (and for a bunch of road-cyclists).

1584311222195.png

Due to the state of emergency (and because of Sunday), the S8 Warsaw - Katowice expressway was completely vacant.

1584311432097.png

Straight from the Outer Space, isn't it 🤣

1584311525473.png

A real backwoods village of Holendry Baranowskie, even the bus shelter proving that. I know the neighbourhood very well. Many years ago, a friend of mine and her partner chose "the escape to the Nature". They lived in terrible conditions and had two kids there. The friend finally escaped back to Warsaw. A lot of changes have happened since. As the area is desolate the cost of the land is low, so many people settle here building their new homes.

When I was taking a rest at the bus shelter, I noticed an empty can of the "Argus" beer, one of the worst in the market. Suddenly I fancied having some terrible beer after my return home. Read on!

1584311929924.png

"Refuelling" at the 57th kilometre. I was riding in PAS 3 (the highest assistance level that makes sense with this e-bike. You switch to the 5 in the emergency; it does not give much more than 3).

1584312134125.png

50 miles today, 1034 miles since I bought the Lovelec.

1584312357027.png

Don't try this at home! 🤣One of the worst beers available in the market, "Kuflowe Mocne", 7.2% ABV. The favourite beverage of our Ukrainian brethren because it is strong and it costs dimes. I am myself a hop-head, a craft beer lover. Yet I really fancied having that bottom shelf beer; the excess of oxygen must have damaged my brain to buy and drink it. The only good thing was drinking the glass took me just 10 minutes :D

1584312916634.png

The route stats.

Last edited:
Back on the trail …
2020-03-14-bvrt-bridge-ebr.jpg

Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
Trek Bicycles Ipswich had my Powerfly reshod within an hour… decidedly quicker than the expected two months that the Riese & Müller agent is expected to take to fix the Homage's electrics and non-functioning Rohloff E-14.

@Stefan Mikes

Ah, Stefan! So the gauntlet has been thrown down with your recent, and delightfully narrated, brew quaffing finish to your epic 50 mile ride. I guess the race for the epic long-distance half century day ride has commenced. Challenge accepted!

I had hoped to write my first metric century (60 miles) ride adventure in April (a charity ride), but it appears the building pandemic has already attacked every sporting venue in my Commonwealth, forcing the slapdown of a moratorium ban of 8 weeks on all groups with over 100 individuals, a move that is taking down events like a bowling ball to a set of 9 pins in other states across the US as well. I watch with dwindling hope of any big fun organized outtings remaining with other cyclists, outside a small group here or there, for the entire spring into the summer.

So I will share my friend's entire, unabridged narrative of her 52 mile (83k)ride on her 2019 Turbo Vado this weekend with her bike club. Note: She's one for brevity in her writing:

52.80 miles today!! Had 17% battery left at the end. I was very conservative with the battery usage — 40% assist for half the ride, then dropped it down to 30%. Still had no problem keeping up with the speed demons. Now I’m ready for a NAP!! The bike is awesome and rolls along so smoothly.

She, too, has thrown the gauntlet in front of me. "Try to beat those miles, pal!" is the hidden message. I had been winning the race up to that moment. She is now 2.80 miles in the lead.

With time off at an end, and healed knee and rested legs, I accept. I am planning a 60 mile (96k) ride even as we speak. Hah!

En guarde!

Last edited:
It's the time to raise the stakes, @Readytoride ;) 62.13 miles (100 km)? Just teasing you but I checked the weather forecast and the winds seem to be mild on Tuesday here :) The delivery of my spare Vado battery is still delayed but Lovelec is good for at least 110 km.

Allez!

Last edited:
It appears my new 2020 Vado 4.0, which I was hoping to use for this latest record breaking ride, is going to be delayed for delivery well into April.

Je suis désolé.

However, my 2019 LaFree is my trusted épée and more than up to the challenge of the ride by virtue of its double set of batteries. 800w ready to engage. Tonight I will start mapping out my strategy, choosing the right mix of paved roads to run. 60 to 65 miles is the goal.

One road bump to negotiate before I say je suis prêtes:

My presence tomorrow to head a project at home, one that requires my absolute attendance and attention to being started and finished with engineered accuracy, is necessary in order for my husband to remain living in this existence and not incurring management's (c'est moi) wrath if he tries to do it himself (he doesn't believe in levels and tape measures - thinks they are tools for the weak and indecisive). So I must delay my ride until said project is done, thus assuring there is no corps-à-corps during the project, my husband continues to live, and I don't get hauled in for felony murder.

Besides, I need him around as my SAG. You know. Just in case.

Haha, funny how you drop the French phrases into your writing, @Readytoride :D Let us not forget many cycling terms are French!

I am very sorry to hear about the delay with your Vado delivery; I still hope to get my spare Vado battery this week. At the moment, the Lovelec Diadem will be my sabre. Armed with 1152 Wh of energy delivered by that smart Ingenier Stanislav Glac of Český Těšín in form of two large batteries. (It might be interesting that the twin city of Český Těšín/Cieszyn was split by a border again, due to the pest control)

1584393906981.png

The Polish-Czech border sadly reinstated in the twin city...

This Tuesday will be the only day with relatively high temperatures in the range of 50 F with the winds as weak as 3 m/s. I must not miss that opportunity. I think I will take my DSLR camera and a tripod with me this time. Although Mazovia is basically boring from photography viewpoint ;)

1584394156149.png

The Błonie - Sochaczew part is interesting from the cycling viewpoint as (I think) you get multi-use paths along all the way. I would hesitate riding a Vado there as the Vado should use regular roads and the Route 92 is under the bike ban (you have to use the side lane). Another point for the Lovelec. Also, Lovelec has some sort of suspension (sus fork and seat-post) and the multi-use paths are of spotty quality there. I gladly hope I could have some pączki in Jaktorów/Chylice!

Honestly, I'm trembling. In case I fail, there are trains back. If I get a flat, Mr. Andrzej, my local cab driver is ready to help with his golden Mercedes-Benz ;)

Second ride on the new Allant. I'll keep the words to a minimum and just share a few pics.

I just got home from a ride on the Allant 9.9s with my son. He rode the Delight. It was a crisp 50 degrees and sunny. Life is good.

I love the riding this bike. With the Tannus armour in the tires and having them inflated to 35 psi rear and 30 psi front, along with the Body Float seat post and Baramind handlebars, the ride is stress free and quite comfortable. I think the carbon fiber frame plays a major role in dampening and absorbing vibration and chatter.

It has a much shorter chain stay and the wheel base is at least 8" shorter on the same size tires. The Allant has a degree of refinement and finesse that is very different from the heavy, plush ride that the Riese & Muller bikes provide. In this case different beacons!

20200316_145129.jpg

duo.jpg

IMG_0292001.jpg

allant cockpit.jpg

I could but I won't. I have a dual battery bike at hand for longer rides. This will do nicely for up to metric centuries on its integrated 625wh.
The reason I ask twice is the young man at the Trek store may have been misinformed when he told me the range expander was a different unit completely ,although it looks the same in the pics.

Well, well, well. The Warsaw Specialized LBS finally has the spare Vado battery for me. Not changing my plans by an iota; the metric century today!

Second ride on the new Allant. I'll keep the words to a minimum and just share a few pics.

I just got home from a ride on the Allant 9.9s with my son. He rode the Delight. It was a crisp 50 degrees and sunny. Life is good.

I love the riding this bike. With the Tannus armour in the tires and having them inflated to 35 psi rear and 30 psi front, along with the Body Float seat post and Baramind handlebars, the ride is stress free and quite comfortable. I think the carbon fiber frame plays a major role in dampening and absorbing vibration and chatter.

It has a much shorter chain stay and the wheel base is at least 8" shorter on the same size tires. The Allant has a degree of refinement and finesse that is very different from the heavy, plush ride that the Riese & Muller bikes provide. In this case different beacons!

View attachment 47594

View attachment 47595

View attachment 47596

View attachment 47597

Alaskan,
You & your son are fortunate that you both can do such great rides together.
Has he come over to the "Dark Side" and now only rides ebikes?

Back