2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
looking South ...Burnaby Mtn Velodrome visible across the inlet.
1584136603858.png

"W marcu jak w garncu" (The Month of March Is Like The Inside Of A Cooking Pot)

Well. The key-service man had arrived within an hour; clean work with replacing the garage door-lock; I had to ride very fast with Lovelec to an ATM in Podkowa to bring the gratification for the man. It was still before 2 p.m. so I took my Vado out for a shorter trip (I thought). It was magnificent sunshine, acceptable temperature of 7 C (45 F), a strong westerly wind. I forgot about our saying "w marcu jak w garncu" as the weather can change from Spring to Winter at any time. Yes, there was sleet, hail, sunshine again and there was even snowing at the end of the ride. Who cares, not I.

I had several purposes of the ride. I wanted to learn the proper operation of the PNW Coast Suspension Dropper Seat-Post; to check how good the suspension was; and how to extend the range of my Vado by manipulating the "Turbo Vado /Como Tune" app of Specialized.

For some reason, my Czech GPS route planing/navigation app went banana, so at some point I was making turns around and inside some forest. Very good! The dropper post turned out to be fantastic. At places, I rode with a slightly lowered saddle, giving me better control; if not the dropper post, I would certainly fall after riding in some wet sand. The suspension part worked as well. Rigid at even surfaces, the shock was working nicely off-road and on poor roads.

I was playing with the assist level and acceleration settings in the Eco mode. The acceleration (known as Max Motor Current in the app) was at 70%. The assist level upwind was 45%, downwind 30%. After 48.5 km (30 mi) there was as much as 36% battery left, a great improvement.

My grand plan was to do a hard work-out so I could visit the cake shop/bakery on the last segment of the trip. No pączki! I had to eat sweet cake instead!

As usual, I returned at the dark. Then had to do some basic grocery shopping and then I learned the state of emergency was announced in Poland. More time for riding for me.

1584157767051.png

No clipless pedals this time. The VP-831 pedals and FiveTen shoes; it was a good decision for future off-road riding.

1584158087120.png

A muddy and wet fire-road in some forest. Vado is by no means an off-road e-bike yet it managed the terrain surprisingly well. I was missing the suspension fork in my model though.

1584158291966.png

Single track. The causeway over a forest pond was too hard for the Vado. I had to walk the bike through it.

1584158525588.png

The causeway.

1584158587072.png

The terminal station of WKD in Milanówek.

1584158859069.png

The route stats.

Last edited:
Small town main street …
2020-03-14-toogoolawah-alex.jpg

Toogoolawah, about 120 km inland from Brisbane.
Saturday's ride started from Toogoolawah (above), a pleasant country town about fifty minutes by car from where we live. This is Alexandra Hall, the old-style cinema complete with box office and prospective patrons checking Saturday night's fare.

Last edited by a moderator:
An even smaller town with no main street …
2020-03-14-linville-1-ebr.jpg

Linville, about 30 km beyond Toogoolawah.
An hour and a half after leaving Toogoolawah, I rolled into Linville which allegedly has a population of around 400. On the main road there was an old hotel and a general store but where were the houses and their occupants? There was no one in sight!

Anyhow, it was a pleasant place to stop. Someone had mown the grass and laid on facilities for visitors, and then just disappeared.

Twenty minutes after arriving, still without seeing anyone, I headed into the wilds, emerging from an abandoned railway tunnel into an enchanted land of hills and gullies, lost cattle and another unfortunate episode to add to my list of ebiking catastrophes…

View attachment 47428
An hour and a half after leaving Toogoolawah, I rolled into Linville which allegedly has a population of around 400. On the main road there was an old hotel and a general store but where were the houses and their occupants? There was no one in sight!

Anyhow, it was a pleasant place to stop. Someone had mown the grass and laid on facilities for visitors, and then just disappeared.

Twenty minutes after arriving, still without seeing anyone, I headed into the wilds, emerging from an abandoned railway tunnel into an enchanted land of hills and gullies, lost cattle and another unfortunate episode to add to my list of ebiking catastrophes…
That ending is a real teaser...left us all hanging, waiting eagerly learn about yet another catastrophe down under.

View attachment 47428

Did it happen on Friday the 13th too? Spooky.

Last edited:
Bonked (I Wish This Winter Were Over)

Having had read of the famous 50 mile escapades of Readytoride and motivated by my friend Jerzy (the old man rode out his mechanical steed the day before to make 40 km despite of the wind while I could only make 48 km on the same day...) I decided to show them! :D Lovelec, the spare battery, an emergency set of winter clothing in the second pannier, I was ready to conquer the world and set off for a 50 mile ride.

Not to avail. I can stand many things now but not the freezing-cold-massive-upwind ride for 40 km. The wind was literally howling in my ears despite of the snowboarding helmet being equipped with warm earflaps. I put the whole winter suit on during the ride and I was at least warm but even the maximum PAS level didn't help. I bonked in Żyrardów and made the decision to return by train. Still, some funny stories:

I was hiding against the wind in a bus shelter, making the decision to put even more clothes on (windbreaker trousers, winter gloves...). Suddenly I saw a young road cyclist approaching me. I got up and rose my hand in a greeting gesture. He did the same and shouted:
-- It looked as if you wore a biological suit from afar! 🤣

Next riding segment, the same perfect side road. I felt a quiet swish. It was another young road cyclist overtaking me! Mind you, I'm in the maximum PAS, pedalling furiously against the wind and that boy overtakes me as fast as a sporty BMW does it to a cheap VW! I rode 25 km/h, he must be riding at least at 30 km/h. Upwind. What the aero position and youth combined together can achieve...

Another segment, I can see yet another road bike in front of me. I can see I'm approaching him. Perhaps I shouldn't overtake him? What to do if I am faster than him? I inspected the mirrors; the road's empty. I pushed on the pedals very hard; at that very moment the wind softened. SWEEESH! I overtook him easily.

-- Oi! -- he groaned in great surprise. His face was strained, blue with cold and purple from effort
-- Hi! -- I greeted him and he soon disappeared in my mirror ;)

I'm going to retry on Sunday, hoping for more mellow winds. Don't get me wrong if I fail.

1584231900150.png

First time inside the large village of Żabia Wola. The proper translation of the name would be Frogsville not Frogsthorpe. Here, I put the winter jacket on.

1584232110273.png

Here, the young cyclist told me I looked as if wearing the biological suit :D

1584232243788.png

While eating hot-dogs at a gas station in Żyrardów (too late! I have already bonked). The shop assistant girls wore latex gloves because of the pest. During the state of emergency, restaurants are closed but take-away is allowed. Not many people around.

1584232524817.png

What an interesting city, Żyrardów. In the first half of 19 c. a French engineer and inventor, Philippe de Girard, invented a machine for the spinning of flax yarn. Despite of the success of the invention, de Girard almost bankrupted in France. He took the offer of the Polish to help the (Russian) Kingdom of Poland with the modern textile machinery. That was his greatest success as he indeed built the Polish textile industry. In 1833, the factory in Ruda Guzowska started its operation. The future industrial city was renamed to Żyrardów (the Polonised name of the "City of Girard").

When the Warsaw-Vienna Railway started its operation in 1845, many train stations were built along the rail. The one in the picture is one of those.

Today, Żyrardów is the most known of its spirits plant, with the Belvedere Vodka as their flagship product.

1584233630403.png

I made it to the train platform and had to negotiate two steep flight of stairs with my 30 kg total load of bicycle. The train trip was only 19 minutes long. The train was almost empty; people wisely stay at their homes. When the conductor came to inspect tickets, I just pointed at my handlebar-mounted smartphone with the e-ticked displayed on the screen. -- Ah, that's good. That's very good -- he sighed with relief; he didn't need to touch a paper ticket. When at home, I first put all the electronic devices for charging, then took a deep sip of the Becherovka herb liqueur. To your health!

1584235108012.png

I planned a full circle. To be repeated in the morning after a nourishing breakfast! An interesting fact is Jerzy had the average speed of 17 km/h on last Friday while my avg speed was 22.5 km/h today under harsher conditions. Another point for e-bikes. Although I admit the 250 W hub-motor is not the best for conquering extreme winds. Unluckily, my spare Vado battery is still in transit from the Netherlands.

Last edited:
Beyond the tunnel …
2020-03-14-tunnel-1a-ebr.jpg

Yimbun Tunnel
I should have turned around at the Yimbun Tunnel. It was dark inside and I had already disturbed a snake on the trail, not any snake but an eastern brown (Pseudonaja textilis). Seriously dangerous! There is a simple rule concerning what to do when you see an eastern brown: Don't! Whatever you were thinking of doing – hopping off your ebike to take a photo to share on the EBR Forum, for example – just don't do it! Keep moving.

We'll have to content ourselves with a Wikipedia link for more info and a photo of a specimen of similar size and, for purposes of identification, in the same colour phase.

Beyond the tunnel, I encountered two more snakes, a beautiful carpet python and a lithe yellow-faced whip snake. Sorry, no photos.

Beyond Linville the rail trail heads up the Blackbutt Range. It must have been a long and winding haul back in the days of steam, especially during hot and dry summers. For me it was easy but I had ridden a bit too far (or started too late)…
  • Start : 10 am
  • Top of Blackbutt Range : 2 pm
  • Sunset : 6 pm
No problem; just don't dawdle on the way back (as I had done on the way up).

2020-03-14-blackbutt-09-ebr.jpg

Blackbutt Range
On the return down the Blackbutt Range I stopped to take the second photo (Linville is about 10 km away and hidden behind the hills).

Three young men in their mid-fifties – the only people I met on the trail all day – stopped to chat. They were riding the full length of the rail trail over two days and, as I was, were heading for Toogoolawah. Unlike me, they had backup; the wife of the rider with the biggest 4X4 with the biggest bike rack had been volunteered for the job (such is love).

What's Linville like? Jason enquired as he pulled out a phone to call the luckless Kaye who was heading that way with refreshments. Phones don't work here, I explained. I knew this because the cycle route map on the Ride with GPS on my app goes blank in this area. Is loss of phone coverage really the way to judge remoteness in 2020?

See you in Linville! They were gone and I had to get a move on. This was definitely not the place, or the time, to run into trouble…

First time running out of battery and 10km from home after a 50km ride with a wrong turn. As luck would have it I ran into my boss at the corner of the Hwy buying maple syrup from the Mennonites. Loaded the bike on the truck and made it home.....Definately considering an extra battery...47474

First time running out of battery and 10km from home after a 50km ride with a wrong turn. As luck would have it I ran into my boss at the corner of the Hwy buying maple syrup from the Mennonites. Loaded the bike on the truck and made it home.....Definitely considering an extra battery...View attachment 47474
A more frequent need for a second battery is a sure sign that you are riding more distance and your ebike has brought you to a higher level of conditioning and fitness. Congratulations. There should be a second battery badge or something.

..Definately considering an extra battery...
Best purchase ever...besides the ebike itself. You should consider it a birthday gift for yourself. That helps takes the sting out of the mucho pricy cost.

I equated my 2nd battery's price to 5 dinners out with hubby, or 3 out with us plus son and daughter-in-law. Avoiding packing on restaurant calories coupled with a huge reduction of range anxiety was a win-win for me.

Back