2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Share the road!
2020-03-11-bullock-aa-ebr.jpg

Fairney View, 19 km up the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail.
I sheltered behind my Powerfly and cried Boo! with all the authority I could muster. It worked; a stratagem worth considering.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL! Awwww. They are timid, sweet animals that spook easily - the cows, that is. Bring some apple slices with you next time and see if you can entice the cow close enough to take a slice. They will use their tongue to do so - which are amazing marvels of dexterity.

Bulls are another story. Maximum assist to get as far away as possible, and keep a healthy distance.

Monday Blues! Actually it was more of a grey day. Unlike yesterday, the weather knew what was expected of it: pour down!

Notwithstanding the forecast, I set off at 6.00 am on my local rail trail ride with only the faintest Scotch mist for company. Just twenty minutes out the Kiox chirped up with its thought for the day which I duly recorded…

View attachment 47098

As I headed for home I realised that the Rohloff E-14 wasn't changing gears.

I did the obvious things – cleaned contacts and sprayed them with WD-40 Contact Cleaner – but to no avail. The Bosch Wizard in Brisbane is in Vietnam for a few weeks of mountain biking so I'll have to be patient. The Powerfly is working and I have the Homage's PowerPack to take along to double its range.

Mustn't complain. Not too much, anyway.
Did you check the connection down by the left hand swing arm/chain stay? There is a wire dongle that comes out of the forward end of the E14 Mech on the left side of the rear hub. It is about three or four inches long and has a two wire, rubber connector to the wiring on the frame. It is there to safely remove the rear wheel.

If it ain't is broke, don't fix it …
2020-03-11-dam-ebr.jpg

Fairney View, 18 km up the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail.
Is this a rail trail in desperate need of improvement? The money is available – millions upon millions of dollars by all accounts – but there is a problem or, put differently, the gravel grinders backed by horse riders insist that there is no problem; the trail is perfect just as it is! They don't want it graded and 'improved'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another country town …
2020-03-11-lowood-ebr.jpg

Lowood, SE Queensland
I've lost count of how many times I've stopped here. There's nothing imaginative about Lowood's little park – old-style benches, lawns kept under strict control – but it is a convenient and pleasant place to take a break. There's even a decent coffee shop across the main street. What's not to like?

An hour after finishing my coffee in Lowood I'll be back home, trying my best to ignore the state of our lawn.

Now that I've had a moment to download my photos from my camera (which has agreed to work 80% of the time due to a bit of lube on the outside cover of the expanding lens), I can write about my abbreviated ride yesterday.

First of all - it was cold. Not teeth rattling cold, but "bundle up in the ski jacket and put the windbreaker pants over your regular pants" kinda cold. Thinsulate gloves and skull cap cold.

Ok. With the weather out of the way, and dressed appropriately, off we went on a planned 25 mile gravel road ride. A "go as you please with no constraints or map" type of ride. And go backwards...by which I meant go the opposite direction I tend to go. See coming towards me the scenery I usually see in my rear view mirror. Oh, and only ride the gravel roads. Make the entire ride gravel. No pavement. (I always like to give myself a bit of a challenge!)

Thus a vast part of my ride looked like this:

IMG_0112-small_copy_734x550.jpg

while the skies looked like this:

IMG_0119-small_copy_734x550.jpg

Made for a very serene ride, at a nice slow pace, taking photos of farm signs along the way.

Most of the farm signs were really just pretty signs for pretty houses on a nice plot of acreage. Since we have a plethora of places with names on signs, I could pick and choose the ones I liked the best. Like this one which was a place built for the poor in Loudoun County (Virginia) as a place to live and work until they got themselves back on their feet again:

IMG_0108-small.jpg

We had actually looked at buying this place 32 years ago - 10 acres with a huge bank barn and lots of little houses that the poor had lived in over 170 years ago. However, the house was gutted at the time and we didn't feel like we had the time or energy (since I was 8 months pregnant and we were moving down to VA from 3 states away) to devote to the historic property. It ended up being sold to an owner who turned it into a successful B&B.

I thought these next few signs were photoworthy, even as I pondered what had compelled the landowner to these unusual names :

IMG_0109-small.jpg

Yeah, this one is really confusing????

IMG_0111-small.jpg

Looked for an aviary, but didn't see one. No raptors in the skies, either.
IMG_0115-small.jpg

This last one made me laugh, thinking of all the ""would be" suburban "farmers" planting dozens of tomato plants in the spring, only to be overwhelmingly deluged by ripe tomatoes in the summer and trying to find friends and neighbors who would willingly take some of the juicy-but-too-prolific crop!

Now it goes without saying that if you have enough acreage to actually have two signs, you are really a high tone place. Like this one:
IMG_0123-small.jpg

This was their front drive sign. And this one was their "other" entryway:

IMG_0126-small.jpg

And at this fancy place this is what came galloping up to the fence to check me and my bike out in close range....after they first had spooked and galloped off. An old timer, who had been there-done that for countless years, simply walked up to the fence to say hello. The spooked herd borrowed a bit of courage and followed suit - enough for me to snap this shot of them in their fancy matching clothing (the old timer was not dressed for pasture time):
IMG_0125-small.jpg

On down the road, taking in the quiet scenery under a low hanging sky, turned a corner to find a real farmer dumping feed into a trough for a patiently waiting herd of cattle. I immediately thought of Dave Berry, and stopped my bike to ask the farmer if he minded me taking a photo. He was quite agreeable, and by the time I had clamored up the weedy embankment to the feed lot, he had opened the gates to let the cattle rush in to the filled trough.

IMG_0117-small.jpg

I noticed one cow, an Angus, peel off from the herd and go into a private little side paddock which included a pan filled to the brim with sweet feed. The farmer held the gate open for her, then shut it to prevent anyone else from the herd from muscling in on her private dinner.

IMG_0118-SueSue-small_copy_734x550.jpg

"That's Sue Sue" the farmer said as he took up sentry in front of the cow who was shoveling the sweet feed in her mouth with her tongue as fast as she could manage.

"She's a very pretty Angus cow" I said, admiring her as I bent down to pat the farmer's sweet dog with the "pet me please nice lady!" face,
reaching my fingers through the mix of fencing panels and field wire to stroke the dog's head.

"Heifer", the farmer corrected.

"Oh, I'm sorry" I said quickly, looking at how big she was, which was well over a heifer size. Sue Sue continued to shovel in the feed, and I marveled at her glossy coat and huge girth. She was a big girl! "How old is she?" I asked.

"Three" he said, correctly interpreting my look. "She was a bottle baby," he said by way of further information, then added "she'll never have a calf."

"Why?" I asked, surprised. She certainly looked like she was carrying one with the girth on her.

"She was a twin," he said. I guess he expected me to know what that meant, but when I professed ignorance, he told me that twins were not a good thing for cows to have unless they were the same sex. Male/male and female/female were OK, but if the twins were male/female, then the probability was over 80% that they would be sterile.

I knew what that meant. Sue Sue wasn't going to pull her weight in the herd, and those that couldn't were usually destined to go to the slaughterhouse. The farmer and I stood in silence for a moment, watching the heifer chow down, before I looked at him and said the obvious.

"You really like her, don't you?" I commented, then smiled to see that wonderful expression of love and caring pass across the farmer's old grizzled face as he gazed at his bottle fed girl resplendant in her shiny black coat and bright eyes.

"Yes" he said simply in a quiet voice. A voice full of love. It was all that needed to be said.

We started to talk about the emerging grass, dealing with the last dredges the stored winter hay to stretch it out until the grass was ready, and various other things - including the latest development in grading the section of gravel road nearby that had been closed due to creek overruns for a month.

He finally turned and looked at my bike and said "That's an electric bike."

I looked at him in surprise, then looked at my bike, patiently waiting on the gravel road.

"Yes," I admitted. "How did you know?"

"I can see the generator on it down below," he said, indicating with his chin to the bike's belt drive

I looked at my bike, with its carbon belt drive in full view, and for the first time I realized that it did indeed look "different" from a normal bike. He was intrigued when I explained what the belt was, what it offered for riding on dirty, rough gravel roads well beyond what a chain had to offer, and how it was pretty much like the belts on a car or truck engine.

By then Sue Sue and her herd companions were finished and ready to head back out into the fields. Time to open back up the gates and the farmer to go back to work. And for me to get back to my ride.

We said our goodbyes and I headed off in search of more eclectic farm signs to photograph. About a half mile down the road I stopped my bike and turned around to look back at the now tiny figures of the cattle herd scattered on the open field, grazing on the tiny bits of green grass just coming up in this early spring.

I pedaled on, letting the miles of gravel roads flow under my bike wheels. While I had tried not to include too many hills this time, there was still plenty of slopes to go up, and plenty of downhill to test my brakes.

It wasn't until I hit a bit of paved road just a mile from my farm that my right leg sent my brain a warning. I had planned for another 7 or so miles, but that warning, while vague, was not to be ignored. My leg was tired, but it was the nerves sending the warning. Not sure if the cold had anything to do with it, but probably contributed.

I did ignore the warning, but only for a mile further, then stopped my bike. I was in maximum assist, going on the flat, which was not right. It was decision time, and I erred on the side of caution. I turned the bike and had it take me home. Only 15 miles on the GPS, but it was clear my right leg, and then my left leg in sympathy, were done for the day. Perhaps for the next couple of days as well

Early in my equestrian endurance career I had been taught a very important lesson: don't ever overtrain your horse to the point where it is too tired to compete. I was cautious never to fall into that trap with my horse, but it seemed I'd forgotten my own body needed that consideration as well. And if it didn't get it, it was going to demand it in no uncertain terms. These past several weeks I have been biking some very hilly, very tough roads, and some killer elevations for miles and miles, day after day, and not resting as much as I should have in between.

So, as of now, I'm off the bike for the next three days, letting my right leg rest and recover. It already feels better today, and should be right as rain by the beginning of next week, giving me plenty of time to shop for a new camera. And ride my horse. She's as fat as Sue Sue. And just as spoiled. And loved. Like my bike.

Last edited:
Today was not very windy. The sun was out. I was tired of all the virus talk and finally, when the thermometer said 48 degrees, I put extra clothes in and took off. I like to ride up on "the flats" but to get there one has to ride up a longish hill. Then it becomes up and down. So a sweat is started right at the get go and then, up on the flats you cool down. That's why I carried extra clothes along. It is also usually cooler up there. The Tiffanies were out today so I took yet another picture of them.
I turned onto the road I wanted to ride on last Sunday. It goes by a couple of pot farms that look like forts or something super secret. I noticed what seemed like a lot of new houses being started and wondered if they would mind the pot smell when harvest time neared.

More up and down and in and out of orchards. I wanted to ride 20 miles.
47334 47335
I did.
Tomorrow there is a winter storm warning and it is supposed to be a bit nasty for the next three days. Sigh.

Last edited:
A favourite café on an idyllic ride …
057_omakau-a-ebr.jpg

Muddy Creek Café, Omakau, New Zealand.

No, I didn't visit the Muddy Creek Café today but it is an intended repeat stop later this year. I think I'll order the spring vegetable soup with toast again. The spring photos that are being posted on this thread reminded me of my November ride in South Island. It's worth the trip! (Just remember that it's as close to the South Pole as the Equator.)

025_alex_cc-a-ebr.jpg

Near Alexandra, Otago Central Rail Trail, NZ.​

Now that I've had a moment to download my photos from my camera (which has agreed to work 80% of the time due to a bit of lube on the outside cover of the expanding lens), I can write about my abbreviated ride yesterday.

First of all - it was cold. Not teeth rattling cold, but "bundle up in the ski jacket and put the windbreaker pants over your regular pants" kinda cold. Thinsulate gloves and skull cap cold.

Ok. With the weather out of the way, and dressed appropriately, off we went on a planned 25 mile gravel road ride. A "go as you please with no constraints or map" type of ride. And go backwards...by which I meant go the opposite direction I tend to go. See coming towards me the scenery I usually see in my rear view mirror. Oh, and only ride the gravel roads. Make the entire ride gravel. No pavement. (I always like to give myself a bit of a challenge!)

Thus a vast part of my ride looked like this:

View attachment 47321

while the skies looked like this:

View attachment 47322

Made for a very serene ride, at a nice slow pace, taking photos of farm signs along the way.

Most of the farm signs were really just pretty signs for pretty houses on a nice plot of acreage. Since we have a plethora of places with names on signs, I could pick and choose the ones I liked the best. Like this one which was a place built for the poor in Loudoun County (Virginia) as a place to live and work until they got themselves back on their feet again:

View attachment 47323

We had actually looked at buying this place 32 years ago - 10 acres with a huge bank barn and lots of little houses that the poor had lived in over 170 years ago. However, the house was gutted at the time and we didn't feel like we had the time or energy (since I was 8 months pregnant and we were moving down to VA from 3 states away) to devote to the historic property. It ended up being sold to an owner who turned it into a successful B&B.

I thought these next few signs were photoworthy, even as I pondered what had compelled the landowner to these unusual names :

View attachment 47324

Yeah, this one is really confusing????

View attachment 47325
Looked for an aviary, but didn't see one. No raptors in the skies, either.
View attachment 47326

This last one made me laugh, thinking of all the ""would be" suburban "farmers" planting dozens of tomato plants in the spring, only to be overwhelmingly deluged by ripe tomatoes in the summer and trying to find friends and neighbors who would willingly take some of the juicy-but-too-prolific crop!

Now it goes without saying that if you have enough acreage to actually have two signs, you are really a high tone place. Like this one:
View attachment 47327
This was their front drive sign. And this one was their "other" entryway:

View attachment 47328

And at this fancy place this is what came galloping up to the fence to check me and my bike out in close range....after they first had spooked and galloped off. An old timer, who had been there-done that for countless years, simply walked up to the fence to say hello. The spooked herd borrowed a bit of courage and followed suit - enough for me to snap this shot of them in their fancy matching clothing (the old timer was not dressed for pasture time):
View attachment 47329

On down the road, taking in the quiet scenery under a low hanging sky, turned a corner to find a real farmer dumping feed into a trough for a patiently waiting herd of cattle. I immediately thought of Dave Berry, and stopped my bike to ask the farmer if he minded me taking a photo. He was quite agreeable, and by the time I had clamored up the weedy embankment to the feed lot, he had opened the gates to let the cattle rush in to the filled trough.

View attachment 47330

I noticed one cow, an Angus, peel off from the herd and go into a private little side paddock which included a pan filled to the brim with sweet feed. The farmer held the gate open for her, then shut it to prevent anyone else from the herd from muscling in on her private dinner.

View attachment 47331

"That's Sue Sue" the farmer said as he took up sentry in front of the cow who was shoveling the sweet feed in her mouth with her tongue as fast as she could manage.

"She's a very pretty Angus cow" I said, admiring her as I bent down to pat the farmer's sweet dog with the "pet me please nice lady!" face,
reaching my fingers through the mix of fencing panels and field wire to stroke the dog's head.

"Heifer", the farmer corrected.

"Oh, I'm sorry" I said quickly, looking at how big she was, which was well over a heifer size. Sue Sue continued to shovel in the feed, and I marveled at her glossy coat and huge girth. She was a big girl! "How old is she?" I asked.

"Three" he said, correctly interpreting my look. "She was a bottle baby," he said by way of further information, then added "she'll never have a calf."

"Why?" I asked, surprised. She certainly looked like she was carrying one with the girth on her.

"She was a twin," he said. I guess he expected me to know what that meant, but when I professed ignorance, he told me that twins were not a good thing for cows to have unless they were the same sex. Male/male and female/female were OK, but if the twins were male/female, then the probability was over 80% that they would be sterile.

I knew what that meant. Sue Sue wasn't going to pull her weight in the herd, and those that couldn't were usually destined to go to the slaughterhouse. The farmer and I stood in silence for a moment, watching the heifer chow down, before I looked at him and said the obvious.

"You really like her, don't you?" I commented, then smiled to see that wonderful expression of love and caring pass across the farmer's old grizzled face as he gazed at his bottle fed girl resplendant in her shiny black coat and bright eyes.

"Yes" he said simply in a quiet voice. A voice full of love. It was all that needed to be said.

We started to talk about the emerging grass, dealing with the last dredges the stored winter hay to stretch it out until the grass was ready, and various other things - including the latest development in grading the section of gravel road nearby that had been closed due to creek overruns for a month.

He finally turned and looked at my bike and said "That's an electric bike."

I looked at him in surprise, then looked at my bike, patiently waiting on the gravel road.

"Yes," I admitted. "How did you know?"

"I can see the generator on it down below," he said, indicating with his chin to the bike's belt drive

I looked at my bike, with its carbon belt drive in full view, and for the first time I realized that it did indeed look "different" from a normal bike. He was intrigued when I explained what the belt was, what it offered for riding on dirty, rough gravel roads well beyond what a chain had to offer, and how it was pretty much like the belts on a car or truck engine.

By then Sue Sue and her herd companions were finished and ready to head back out into the fields. Time to open back up the gates and the farmer to go back to work. And for me to get back to my ride.

We said our goodbyes and I headed off in search of more eclectic farm signs to photograph. About a half mile down the road I stopped my bike and turned around to look back at the now tiny figures of the cattle herd scattered on the open field, grazing on the tiny bits of green grass just coming up in this early spring.

I pedaled on, letting the miles of gravel roads flow under my bike wheels. While I had tried not to include too many hills this time, there was still plenty of slopes to go up, and plenty of downhill to test my brakes.

It wasn't until I hit a bit of paved road just a mile from my farm that my right leg sent my brain a warning. I had planned for another 7 or so miles, but that warning, while vague, was not to be ignored. My leg was tired, but it was the nerves sending the warning. Not sure if the cold had anything to do with it, but probably contributed.

I did ignore the warning, but only for a mile further, then stopped my bike. I was in maximum assist, going on the flat, which was not right. It was decision time, and I erred on the side of caution. I turned the bike and had it take me home. Only 15 miles on the GPS, but it was clear my right leg, and then my left leg in sympathy, were done for the day. Perhaps for the next couple of days as well

Early in my equestrian endurance career I had been taught a very important lesson: don't ever overtrain your horse to the point where it is too tired to compete. I was cautious never to fall into that trap with my horse, but it seemed I'd forgotten my own body needed that consideration as well. And if it didn't get it, it was going to demand it in no uncertain terms. These past several weeks I have been biking some very hilly, very tough roads, and some killer elevations for miles and miles, day after day, and not resting as much as I should have in between.

So, as of now, I'm off the bike for the next three days, letting my right leg rest and recover. It already feels better today, and should be right as rain by the beginning of next week, giving me plenty of time to shop for a new camera. And ride my horse. She's as fat as Sue Sue. And just as spoiled. And loved. Like my bike.
Hi Readytoride
Im interested to know more about your saddle
Could you please share some info on the brand and model

Hi Readytoride
Im interested to know more about your saddle
Could you please share some info on the brand and model
It's a Serfas RX. You can find them on Amazon.com. They come in men and womens styles (for narrow and wide hips). Super comfortable with a wide open gullet so no pressure on the crouch at all and helps keep everything air cooled down below which is really appreciated for the long rides. Mine is the ladies road/mountain bike model.

I looked long and hard years ago for just the right saddle, buying and discarding many until this came recommended. Tried it and loved it from day 1. I bought a second one for my analog road bike, and that saddle will be moved to my new ebike (as soon as the shop gets it in for me)

Back