2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
The Big Loop (accepting the RabH's challenge):D

Our fine Scotsman @RabH got on my nerves doing a 50 miles ride against stormy wind, in sleet & snow, a great feat. Neither the current Polish weather nor my capabilities/endurance are to match Scotland and RabH but at least I rode out into the rain and against significant wind! I originally planned a 120 km journey but wisely contented myself with the half of the distance today.

1582578807800.png

The person at the far left was a Retired Man With A Mission. He was trying to convince me to cast a vote for an extreme far-wing politician (read: a Nazi) because "Poland needed to be saved". I don't particularly think Poland needs any saviour so the guy went away full of contempt for a stranger who even didn't watch the news on the TV (that was me) :) What I want to show really is the Old Style shared pedestrian/bike lane in Milanówek. Those pavings haven't survived many years and are damaged in many places.

1582579415080.png

Jaktorów revisited! On Fat Thursday, I was unable to get pączki at that fine bakery/cake shop. As there is no Fat Monday, I could buy as many donuts I wanted today. I took two of them to control my glucose level on the ride: no bonking welcomed! (The price is US cents 53 apiece).

1582579659966.png

A segment of the Voivodship Road 719, a 68-km stretch that makes a trip to Warsaw the shortest from the place I live. The road quality is fine. Unfortunately, there is high traffic there. I'm used to riding on the 719 but it is the best to avoid it. The bike ban sign means there has to be a bike lane nearby. It actually exists on the left hand side.

1582580025603.png

'oo have we got here? :) Some goats but I am not any good at recognising animals.

1582580154923.png

Direction change at Sade Budy, meaning change from headwind to side-wind. The Queen La Petite Marie Street. When Poland had a female ruler, she was styled the King of Poland and actually we had one female King, Jadwiga. The title of Queen was given to the King's spouse (queen consort). Our most successful King, John III Sobieski (the victor of Vienna against the Turks) married the French Marie Casimire Louise de La Grange d'Arquien when she was 24 and he was not a King yet. (It was her second marriage; she was married to a Polish aristocrat earlier and married the future King as a widow). The couple actually fell in love, which is proven by letters both of them wrote to each other. The Poles are affectionate of the memory of the Królowa Marysieńka (La Petite Marie).

1582580766818.png

Although I am proud of the new roads we have in Poland nowadays, it is still easy to find cracked blacktop, or worse. On the Big Loop I found no worse road than that, though.

1582580964130.png

On one of the County Roads; these are not numbered. Not bad. Another direction change to downwind.

1582581064187.png

A beautiful Park & Palace in Radziejowice. The property was in hands of the Radziejowski family since 15th c. Several Polish Kings lived there, including the aforementioned John III Sobieski. The current palace got its form between 18th and 19th centuries. Currently it is run by the State as the Home of Creative Work. Artists can stay here and do their work in peace. There are also exhibitions inside, the current one of the realistic painter Józef Chełmoński of 19th century. Chełmoński was painting exactly in the area I live and died in a village I passed on one of my recent rides.

1582581713709.png

With Ignacy J. Paderewski, a virtuoso pianist, composer and Prime Minister of Poland (1919). Paderewski was the owner of the Bristol Hotel in Warsaw (since 1901), now Luxury Collection Bristol Hotel, one of the most posh hotels in Warsaw. When Poland was about to regain independence in 1918, Paderewski came in Warsaw and gave a passionate speech from the balcony of his own hotel!

1582582014548.png

Wet, wet, wet! I found my thinner gloves completely soaked so I swapped them with dry, thick and water-resistant CHIBA ones.

1582582132155.png

The New Style pedestrian/bike lane. There are literally many kilometres of such lanes built wherever people live by the S7 motorway. In lack of a bike lane, you can safely zoom over the neighbouring road, where the traffic is minimal (good for my Vado 5 that is not allowed on bike lanes).

1582582315047.png

By a mistake, I rode onto an overpass of the S7. The company at the left is (as the name suggest) a Canadian-Polish joint-venture for baby products. They have been there since early 1990s.

1582582487178.png

Refuelling the Lovelec after 50 kilometres. I have noticed very short range on both bikes this winter.

1582582596200.png

I was very happy about that trip!

1582582828735.png

The route stats & map.

Last edited:
View attachment 46344
Jaktorów revisited! On Fat Thursday, I was unable to get pączki at that fine bakery/cake shop. As there is no Fat Monday, I could buy as many donuts I wanted today. I took two of them to control my glucose level on the ride: no bonking welcomed! (The price is US cents 53 apiece).

Big Pączki Day around here tomorrow. Buffalo NY is known for it's large past immigrant populations of Polish, Germans, Irish and Italians. Their heritage is still alive and well today in many parts of the City, though much has changed. Still have Bakeries doing it up fresh.

The Big Loop (accepting the RabH's challenge):D

Our fine Scotsman @RabH got on my nerves doing a 50 miles ride against stormy wind, in sleet & snow, a great feat. Neither the current Polish weather nor my capabilities/endurance are to match Scotland and RabH but at least I rode out into the rain and against significant wind! I originally planned a 120 km journey but wisely contented myself with the half of the distance today.

View attachment 46341
The person at the far left was a Retired Man With A Mission. He was trying to convince me to cast a vote for an extreme far-wing politician (read: a Nazi) because "Poland needed to be saved". I don't particularly think Poland needs any saviour so the guy went away full of contempt for a stranger who even didn't watch the news on the TV (that was me) :) What I want to show really is the Old Style shared pedestrian/bike lane in Milanówek. Those pavings haven't survived many years and are damaged in many places.

View attachment 46344

View attachment 46345
A segment of the Voivodship Road 719, a 68-km stretch that makes a trip to Warsaw the shortest from the place I live. The road quality is fine. Unfortunately, there is high traffic there. I'm used to riding on the 719 but it is the best to avoid it. The bike ban sign means there has to be a bike lane nearby. It actually exists on the left hand side.

View attachment 46350
'oo have we got here? :) Some goats but I am not any good at recognising animals.

View attachment 46351
Direction change at Sade Budy, meaning change from headwind to side-wind. The Queen La Petite Marie Street. When Poland had a female ruler, she was styled the King of Poland and actually we had one female King, Jadwiga. The title of Queen was given to the King's spouse (queen consort). Our most successful King, John III Sobieski (the victor of Vienna against the Turks) married the French Marie Casimire Louise de La Grange d'Arquien when she was 24 and he was not a King yet. (It was her second marriage; she was married to a Polish aristocrat earlier and married the future King as a widow). The couple actually fell in love, which is proven by letters both of them wrote to each other. The Poles are affectionate of the memory of the Królowa Marysieńka (La Petite Marie).

View attachment 46352
Although I am proud of the new roads we have in Poland nowadays, it is still easy to find cracked blacktop, or worse. On the Big Loop I found no worse road than that, though.

View attachment 46353
On one of the County Roads; these are not numbered. Not bad. Another direction change to downwind.

View attachment 46354
A beautiful Park & Palace in Radziejowice. The property was in hands of the Radziejowski family since 15th c. Several Polish Kings lived there, including the aforementioned John III Sobieski. The current palace got its form between 18th and 19th centuries. Currently it is run by the State as the Home of Creative Work. Artists can stay here and do their work in peace. There are also exhibitions inside, the current one of the realistic painter Józef Chełmoński of 19th century. Chełmoński was painting exactly in the area I live and died in a village I passed on one of my recent rides.

View attachment 46355
With Ignacy J. Paderewski, a virtuoso pianist, composer and Prime Minister of Poland (1919). Paderewski was the owner of the Bristol Hotel in Warsaw (since 1901), now Luxury Collection Bristol Hotel, one of the most posh hotels in Warsaw. When Poland was about to regain independence in 1918, Paderewski came in Warsaw and gave a passionate speech from the balcony of his own hotel!

View attachment 46356
Wet, wet, wet! I found my thinner gloves completely soaked so I swapped them with dry, thick and water-resistant CHIBA ones.

View attachment 46357
The New Style pedestrian/bike lane. There are literally many kilometres of such lanes built wherever people live by the S7 motorway. In lack of a bike lane, you can safely zoom over the neighbouring road, where the traffic is minimal (good for my Vado 5 that is not allowed on bike lanes).

View attachment 46358
By a mistake, I rode onto an overpass of the S7. The company at the left is (as the name suggest) a Canadian-Polish joint-venture for baby products. They have been there since early 1990s.

View attachment 46359
Refuelling the Lovelec after 50 kilometres. I have noticed very short range on both bikes this winter.

View attachment 46360
I was very happy about that trip!

View attachment 46361
The route stats & map.

I think you should have bought some paczki and made friends with the goats ! They probably would have loved them !!

David, I hope your luck changes soon!
Sorry to hear about your misfortune David.
A spot of gardening leave …
Two ebikes, both with Bosch CX Gen1 motors, both out of action…

On the final day of January my R&M Homage's Gates Carbon Drive belt self-destructed. I retrieved the bike twelve days later on the same day that the Trek Powerfly's motor failed disastrously when I was an inconveniently difficult distance from home. Taxi!

This was by no means the first time that the motor had stopped or refused to switch on. The Trek shop sent the Powerfly's battery to Bosch who declared it to be in good health but offered a new wiring harness to connect motor and battery. Hopefully, it will be fitted soon, but I am not sure that that was the problem.

Almost a week ago the Homage's motor played up resulting in a train ride back from what should have been a wonderful Friday ride. I imagined it might be an unfortunate once-only problem. No such luck. On Monday I was left stranded on the local farm roads. I can attest that the Homage is a beast to ride without power. 10% inclines were definitely beyond my ability. It's booked in for repair next week (waiting list!) and I have no idea whether it will be back the same day. I hope so but am not confident.

No ebikes to ride! Any good news? Yes, it's been raining and with almost tolerable temperatures returning I've run out of excuses to get the garden in shape after the dreadful eighteen-month drought we've just been through. About time!

February : 840 km
Last 12 months : 16,957 km

Last edited by a moderator:
On a humorous note: When my only e-bike was waiting for a fix (four weeks of waiting for a custom spare part), I got so impatient I bought the Turbo Vado ;)
I'm at that stage right now. I need a backup pedal assist ... right now. Having withdraw waiting for the Kevlar innertubes to arrive for my bike to make it bulletproof for flats (3 in less than 3 weeks - don't ask), and am riding my converted 21 speed hybrid with the front hub w/throttle. Missing that wonderful pedal assist so much. Too much! Unfortunately we're already committed to shelling out mega $k for son's upcoming wedding reception, or I would have had a 3rd ebike already. The Specialized Turbo Vado is calling to me!

A spot of gardening leave …
Two ebikes, both with Bosch CX Gen1 motors, both out of action…

On the final day of January my R&M Homage's Gates Carbon Drive belt self-destructed. I retrieved the bike twelve days later on the same day that the Trek Powerfly's motor failed disastrously when I was an inconveniently difficult distance from home. Taxi!

This was by no means the first time that the motor had stopped or refused to switch on. The Trek shop sent the Powerfly's battery to Bosch who declared it to be in good health but offered a new wiring harness to connect motor and battery. Hopefully, it will be fitted soon, but I am not sure that that was the problem.

Almost a week ago the Homage's motor played up resulting in a train ride back from what should have been a wonderful Friday ride. I imagined it might be an unfortunate once-only problem. No such luck. On Monday I was left stranded on the local farm roads. I can attest that the Homage is a beast to ride without power. 10% inclines were definitely beyond my ability. It's booked in for repair next week (waiting list!) and I have no idea whether it will be back the same day. I hope so but am not confident.

No ebikes to ride! Any good news? Yes, it's been raining and with almost tolerable temperatures returning I've run out of excuses to get the garden in shape after the dreadful eighteen-month drought we've just been through. About time!

February : 840 km
Last 12 months : 16,957 km

Oh no Dave! Ebike withdrawal.
Let me express my condolences and hope it doesn’t last long.

For a short time, we had almost Spring weather here. I got a parcel with Adidas 510 cycling shoes in the morning; a tad too small. As I had a busy morning, I got time only around the noon. Filled the Replacement form at the Adidas website and then I thought if I should drive a car to deliver the parcel to the UPS Access Point in Podkowa Leśna. "Where will I park my car?!" -- i thought with disgust -- "Will I need to walk to manage these simple chores?" -- even more disgust. Pulled the riding shoes on, a jacket on, a pannier in my hand and I simply rode my Vado out. No helmet, no goggles, no gloves, no multilayer clothing -- what a pleasure! As if it were the Spring around.

On very short way to the town centre, I played with tuning my Vado from the smartphone app, a boy's delight. Buying the silver tape at a local bookstore, resealing the parcel, labelling it while chatting with the ladies in the bookstore at the same time. Quick ride again to the liquor store (the UPS access point is there) and again a short ride home, playing with the bike's tuning again.

I've found I hardly drive my car nowadays. Only big grocery shopping forces me to use the car. Anything else local can be done with e-bike.

Last edited:
When do you expect at least one of your e-bikes be fixed @David Berry?

There will be e-bikeless time for me until March 10th. My gf comes from London and we will be on the move, unluckily out from my home and without e-bikes. Prague Czech Republic, Wrocław Poland and we'll also stay for several days in Warsaw. I have hoped for the last ride today but I did a large washing of all my cycling clothes yesterday and these are still wet. (By the way, does anyone of you know how to get rid of the mud and grease stains from Gore-tex/Softshell clothes? The washing temperature should be low -- at 30 C -- no fabric softener, no spinning the laundry. Twice washed, bleaching agent used and the stains are still there).

The Adidas FiveTen size 47 1/3 to be delivered tomorrow, the PNW Coast Suspension Dropper Post to be received on Monday. I'm so happy with the globalisation :) It is so easy and fast to get wares from all around the world when you need them...

When do you expect at least one of your e-bikes be fixed @David Berry?

There will be e-bikeless time for me until March 10th. My gf comes from London and we will be on the move, unluckily out from my home and without e-bikes. Prague Czech Republic, Wrocław Poland and we'll also stay for several days in Warsaw. I have hoped for the last ride today but I did a large washing of all my cycling clothes yesterday and these are still wet. (By the way, does anyone of you know how to get rid of the mud and grease stains from Gore-tex/Softshell clothes? The washing temperature should be low -- at 30 C -- no fabric softener, no spinning the laundry. Twice washed, bleaching agent used and the stains are still there).

The Adidas FiveTen size 47 1/3 to be delivered tomorrow, the PNW Coast Suspension Dropper Post to be received on Monday. I'm so happy with the globalisation :) It is so easy and fast to get wares from all around the world when you need them...

Stefan, looking forward to your pics of Prague. My bike tour this summer starts there.

Grease stains: I use liquid detergent, undiluted, directly on the stain. Maybe let it sit for an hour or more. I use liquid Tide but I’m sure you have something similar there. To be safe, test this process on a small inconspicuous area.

Yes, taking a camera to Prague. I decided to ride 36 km today anyway
Writing from the trip 😊
How utterly convenient to have a Liquor store at a UPS access point
One thing we're not missing in Poland are liquor stores for sure 🇵🇱😀

I'm at that stage right now. I need a backup pedal assist ... right now. Having withdraw waiting for the Kevlar innertubes to arrive for my bike to make it bulletproof for flats (3 in less than 3 weeks - don't ask), and am riding my converted 21 speed hybrid with the front hub w/throttle. Missing that wonderful pedal assist so much. Too much! Unfortunately we're already committed to shelling out mega $k for son's upcoming wedding reception, or I would have had a 3rd ebike already. The Specialized Turbo Vado is calling to me!
I will say it again...get Tannus Armours and say goodbye to flats my friend.

Stefan, looking forward to your pics of Prague. My bike tour this summer starts there.

Grease stains: I use liquid detergent, undiluted, directly on the stain. Maybe let it sit for an hour or more. I use liquid Tide but I’m sure you have something similar there. To be safe, test this process on a small inconspicuous area.
Marci Jo we took your advice and bought a box of those hand warmers this Winter and they do the trick thanks!

Muddy waters (a reminder of most welcome rain) …
2020-02-18-rivwalk-ebr.jpg

Riverwalk, Brisbane River
No, I'm not out riding again and there is no indication of when my ebikes will be home from hospital (Homage hasn't gone, yet!).

Here is a photo from two weeks ago. This is the view, in the opposite direction, from girder details of the Story Bridge (with Brisbane Central in the background) shown previously.

On the right bank (we're looking southeast – downstream) there is a short section of old-style shared pedestrian and bike path which runs past a mini beach and a disused loading pier which now provides a pleasant fishing platform (both visible in 'satellite' photo). I usually ride down this path and then loop around to the Story Bridge only to be deposited on top of the cliff overlooking the river. Fortunately the city council has provided two bicycle-friendly elevators down to the riverside.

For those interested in civil engineering: The northern end of the bridge is anchored to a cliff and the cycle path leaves the bridge abruptly but on southern side there is a long elevated rise above the low-lying point bar of the river's meandering course.

Trivia: Sydney's Harbour Bridge and Brisbane's Story Bridge are both accessed by roads named 'Bradfield Highway' in honour of the Queensland (note!) engineer who coordinated the design and construction of both bridges.

2020-02-19-story-bridge-aa.jpg

BTW: The Brisbane Riverwalk's design brief required it to withstand a one-in-a-thousand-year flood. This was also a requirement for its predecessor – completed 2003; destroyed by flood 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
Muddy waters (a reminder of most welcome rain) …
View attachment 46544
Riverwalk, Brisbane River
No, I'm not out riding again and there is no indication of when my ebikes will be home from hospital (Homage hasn't gone, yet!).

Here is a photo from two weeks ago. This is the view, in the opposite direction, from girder details of the Story Bridge (with Brisbane Central in the background) shown previously.

On the right bank (we're looking southeast – downstream) there is a short section of old-style shared pedestrian and bike path which runs past a mini beach and a disused loading pier which now provides a pleasant fishing platform (both visible in 'satellite' photo). I usually ride down this path and then loop around to the Story Bridge only to be deposited on top of the cliff overlooking the river. Fortunately the city council has provided two bicycle-friendly elevators down to the riverside.

For those interested in civil engineering: The northern end of the bridge is anchored to a cliff and the cycle path leaves the bridge abruptly but on southern side there is a long elevated rise above the low-lying point bar of the river's meandering course.

Trivia: Sydney's Harbour Bridge and Brisbane's Story Bridge are both accessed by roads named 'Bradfield Highway' in honour of the Queensland (note!) engineer who coordinated the design and construction of both bridges.

View attachment 46493

BTW: The Brisbane Riverwalk's design brief required it to withstand a one-in-a-thousand-year flood. This was also a requirement for its predecessor – completed 2003; destroyed by flood 2011.
What is wrong with your Powerfly ?

Last edited:
I will say it again...get Tannus Armours and say goodbye to flats my friend.
Thanks. Next time - if there is one - I'll look into the Tannus Armours.

Turns out the latest flat was due to a new innertube being put in that was...are you ready for this? ... 3 times too small for the dimentions of the tire.

Both mechanic and I were like ?????? He said I was lucky both undersized tubes didn't flat on me once they overexpanded.

So Kevlar tubes are now in the tires, and I pick up my bike tomorrow. And my wonderful mechanic gets his 1 dozen homemade chocolate chip cookies that are cooling on the counter in the kitchen even as we speak.

Thanks. Next time - if there is one - I'll look into the Tannus Armours.

Turns out the latest flat was due to a new innertube being put in that was...are you ready for this? ... 3 times too small for the dimentions of the tire.

Both mechanic and I were like ?????? He said I was lucky both undersized tubes didn't flat on me once they overexpanded.

So Kevlar tubes are now in the tires, and I pick up my bike tomorrow. And my wonderful mechanic gets his 1 dozen homemade chocolate chip cookies that are cooling on the counter in the kitchen even as we speak.

Those cookies smell great!!

I chuckle because sometimes I bring cookies (not homemade, but really good) to my local bike shop. Just because they treat me very well!

Back