2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Almost a whole week without rain! Not a cloud in the sky today so one can faintly see Vancouver Island in the distance.
1582243593538.png

Another gorgeous sunny day on the west coast. I'm probably an hour or so east from Mr. Mercier so my water view is a little different, I can't see the Pacific but we do have a lot of water views, one is Cultus Lake. As one of the most popular destination areas in the Lower Mainland, Cultus Lake Provincial Park is characterized by a large, warm freshwater lake and scenic forest-clad mountains. Once the temperatures get into the low to mid 20's the park is very busy so I was very lucky to have it to myself today. My backside was screaming from my first ride yesterday and to turn around and get off this tortuous contraption but i was having so much fun pedaling. Seeing the world (at least our little corner) atop a bike seat just seems so relaxing even though my body was telling me other. After a brief rest to fuel the body i gingerly got back onto the saddle and boy oh boy getting off was a big mistake. That little respite sure felt good at the time, so lesson learned...suck it up buttercup!

Attachments

• DSC01940.JPG
    DSC01940.JPG
    974 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC01938.JPG
    DSC01938.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 300
Another gorgeous sunny day on the west coast. I'm probably an hour or so east from Mr. Mercier so my water view is a little different, I can't see the Pacific but we do have a lot of water views, one is Cultus Lake. As one of the most popular destination areas in the Lower Mainland, Cultus Lake Provincial Park is characterized by a large, warm freshwater lake and scenic forest-clad mountains. Once the temperatures get into the low to mid 20's the park is very busy so I was very lucky to have it to myself today. My backside was screaming from my first ride yesterday and to turn around and get off this tortuous contraption but i was having so much fun pedaling. Seeing the world (at least our little corner) atop a bike seat just seems so relaxing even though my body was telling me other. After a brief rest to fuel the body i gingerly got back onto the saddle and boy oh boy getting off was a big mistake. That little respite sure felt good at the time, so lesson learned...suck it up buttercup!
Cultus is beautiful but that bike of yours....just wow!!

Sorry to hear about your injury, @Readytoride. Get on well soon! It's fantastic you've had the courage to go on riding with your arm in that shape.

To the Canadian friends: You live in a beautiful country. I had a single chance to be in the BC on business, reaching the Sunshine Coast. The country reminded me Norway very much (I'm familiar with Norway). What was even nicer than the landscapes were the people there, extremely polite, welcoming any stranger with good words.

Sorry to hear about your injury, @Readytoride. Get on well soon! It's fantastic you've had the courage to go on riding with your arm in that shape.

To the Canadian friends: You live in a beautiful country. I had a single chance to be in the BC on business, reaching the Sunshine Coast. The country reminded me Norway very much (I'm familiar with Norway). What was even nicer than the landscapes were the people there, extremely polite, welcoming any stranger with good words.
Stefan you are always welcome
Sweet ride and nice colour ! Where did you purchase that beauty from Guv?

Guvna I tossed the factory saddle and settled on a Selle Royale Respiro. The Ergon was too small and too firm and sporty for this old keester.

Fat Thursday in Jaktorów

Every and each Pole must eat at least one pączek (plural: pączki) on Fat Thursday, which is the last Thursday before the Ash Wednesday. We also eat faworki (angel wings), although I personally dislike them. The Fat Thursday is the greatest day of the year for Polish bakers/confectioners but it is also the feast for diabetics :D Any diabetic would do whatever possible to have had at least one pączek on the day!

With my newly developed insulin resistance, I was among them. Light breakfast, couple hours of fasting, and then an intensive e-bike ride in Eco mode, so I could reach the destination at low glucose level and then burn carbs on the way back :) If the life were so simple!

My destination was Jaktorów, basically a meaningless location, one of many. Yet, there is a cake shop in Jaktorów, which I often visited on my numerous bike rides in the past. What a surprise! The demand for pączki is very high on FT and the supply is limited. Once I reached the cake shop at 3 p.m., the assistant there told me: -- "I'm so sorry! The last of our pączki have just sold out! We still have some faworki though" -- I must have looked miserable, told her my story; she smiled and replied -- "Don't worry! There still are some of our pączki in the confectionery on the opposite, by the Police station!" -- I thanked her and rode my Vado to the opposite side of the street, next to the Police station :) I was welcomed with smiles by two ladies there, especially after I told them about the diabetes, the bike ride and all. What a delight to have as many as two pączki, filled with a delicious rose marmalade!

Not the end of the story! When I was finished, I wanted to take the photo of the original cake shop. At that moment, a man approached me and with the look of utter surprise he pointed out at the registration plate of my Vado: -- Are bicycles being licensed nowadays?! -- he exclaimed with disgust. He looked a low-level decorator (stains of paint on his face, cap and clothes were proving that) and he was tipsy a bit (for what he made some excuse). We had a long and humorous talk. He was not as ignorant as I thought! He knew about the 25 km/h speed restriction, he knew about hub-motor e-bikes but was stunned with the sight of the stealthy mid-drive motor S-Pedelec. He even mentioned the name of Shimano!

I returned tired but happy. The glucose level in my blood on my return was 116, very good! And I only weigh 219 lbs today (17 lbs body weight loss in 50 days)!

1582252478069.png

I had to stop at this beautiful sight. (Of course, it is the 25 mph speed limit here). Now I carry my Pentax K-1 camera in the battery compartment of Ortlieb E-mate pannier. Need to buy a lightweight lens though as the existing lens is far too heavy.

1582252723633.png

The Sweets' Land, the confectionery "on the opposite, next to the Police station". The Police station is at far right.

1582252909336.png

After my purchase, only a dozen of pączki was left. Pączki are made with some spirits added to make them fluffy. The alcohol evaporates during baking.

1582253015682.png

Soooo delicious!

1582253135466.png

I was riding upwind on a heavy-traffic segment of some road. To avoid blocking the traffic, I found the moment no cars or lorries were in the sight and sped in Turbo mode. The wind was strong enough to check me at 20.5 mph (33 km/h). It was fast enough. With 500+ kcal burnt, I was able to fulfil my plan!

1582253641026.png

Route stats & map

Last edited:
It is also the lens. Unluckily, the camera body and the Sigma A 35 mm/1.4 lens are 2 kilograms together, which is very heavy for bike trips. As the lens is large, it is also impractical to ride with the camera on your body. There is a tiny, lightweight yet perfect and very cheap Pentax lens dubbed "Plastic Fantastic". I decidedly have to get one (I sold one to a friend and now am regretting that).

Another sunny, but chilly day here. I decided to ride up towards Conconully after the thermometer hit 40. Conconully is a not quite ghost town that was a former gold mining town. It has a small store, gas station, a couple bars/restaurants and a state park. It is at a higher elevation so the ride there is up. Conconully is now a fishing, hunting, ATVing place.

I did better than I thought. I stopped at the top of a big climb and looked at the time. It was later than I thought so I headed back home. I had 5 more miles to go to make it to Conconully. I didn't want to be too worn out as tonight is orchestra practice. I am last violin.

I'd had a @#$% headwind for most of the way up. On the big hill, I finally had a bit of help from the wind and did it in granny gear at the Sport level.

The cows are hatching and the history sign has not been shot up (yet), so all is good.

The maternity ward:
View attachment 45937 View attachment 45938

Down the bank behind this sign looks to be a dumping spot.
View attachment 45939
The Basin:
View attachment 45940

Wow...we used to hunt up there when I was a kid. Great country...will never forget. 👍

Fat Thursday in Jaktorów

Every and each Pole must eat at least one pączek (plural: pączki) on Fat Thursday, which is the last Thursday before the Ash Wednesday. We also eat faworki (angel wings), although I personally dislike them. The Fat Thursday is the greatest day of the year for Polish bakers/confectioners but it is also the feast for diabetics :D Any diabetic would do whatever possible to have had at least one pączek on the day!

With my newly developed insulin resistance, I was among them. Light breakfast, couple hours of fasting, and then an intensive e-bike ride in Eco mode, so I could reach the destination at low glucose level and then burn carbs on the way back :) If the life were so simple!

My destination was Jaktorów, basically a meaningless location, one of many. Yet, there is a cake shop in Jaktorów, which I often visited on my numerous bike rides in the past. What a surprise! The demand for pączki is very high on FT and the supply is limited. Once I reached the cake shop at 3 p.m., the assistant there told me: -- "I'm so sorry! The last of our pączki have just sold out! We still have some faworki though" -- I must have looked miserable, told her my story; she smiled and replied -- "Don't worry! There still are some of our pączki in the confectionery on the opposite, by the Police station!" -- I thanked her and rode my Vado to the opposite side of the street, next to the Police station :) I was welcomed with smiles by two ladies there, especially after I told them about the diabetes, the bike ride and all. What a delight to have as many as two pączki, filled with a delicious rose marmalade!

Not the end of the story! When I was finished, I wanted to take the photo of the original cake shop. At that moment, a man approached me and with the look of utter surprise he pointed out at the registration plate of my Vado: -- Are bicycles being licensed nowadays?! -- he exclaimed with disgust. He looked a low-level decorator (stains of paint on his face, cap and clothes were proving that) and he was tipsy a bit (for what he made some excuse). We had a long and humorous talk. He was not as ignorant as I thought! He knew about the 25 km/h speed restriction, he knew about hub-motor e-bikes but was stunned with the sight of the stealthy mid-drive motor S-Pedelec. He even mentioned the name of Shimano!

I returned tired but happy. The glucose level in my blood on my return was 116, very good! And I only weigh 219 lbs today (17 lbs body weight loss in 50 days)!

View attachment 46098
I had to stop at this beautiful sight. (Of course, it is the 25 mph speed limit here). Now I carry my Pentax K-1 camera in the battery compartment of Ortlieb E-mate pannier. Need to buy a lightweight lens though as the existing lens is far too heavy.

View attachment 46099
The Sweets' Land, the confectionery "on the opposite, next to the Police station". The Police station is at far right.

View attachment 46100
After my purchase, only a dozen of pączki was left. Pączki are made with some spirits added to make them fluffy. The alcohol evaporates during baking.

View attachment 46101
Soooo delicious!

View attachment 46102
I was riding upwind on a heavy-traffic segment of some road. To avoid blocking the traffic, I found the moment no cars or lorries were in the sight and sped in Turbo mode. The wind was strong enough to check me at 20.5 mph (33 km/h). It was fast enough. With 500+ kcal burnt, I was able to fulfil my plan!

View attachment 46103
Route stats & map

Poland is just SO different from southern CA - you have no idea. 👏

Poland is just SO different from southern CA - you have no idea. 👏
Indeed, no idea! Please tell me more. What I would like about your area is the climate for sure. Yet, I know the region only from Hollywood movies... I'm to some extent familiar with Texas. "Nobody rides bikes in TX!" I was told by a Texan I work with.

Indeed, no idea! Please tell me more. What I would like about your area is the climate for sure. Yet, I know the region only from Hollywood movies... I'm to some extent familiar with Texas. "Nobody rides bikes in TX!" I was told by a Texan I work with.

Evidently the climate here is the best in our country, possibly even the world. We are now in 'spring' weather already, mid-60*F most days, today it was 78. The sun shines more than 200 days a year, so if it's cloudy wait a day or two and it's sunny again.

Los Angeles is home to millions of palm trees, it's nearly tropical but not really. The trees were all brought here from elsewhere. It is so popular that LA county is 14M people, while Orange County - home of 'Disneyland' is about 6M. Many call it 'living behind the 'orange curtain'. The lifestyle and culture is quite different from LA in 'the OC', it's very upscale, very nice. The coast has thousands of boats in luxury marinas and multi-million dollar homes. The lifestyle is 'extravagant' to say the least.

We have a 17' sportfisher boat that we launch in various harbors and cruise and drink craft beer and marvel at all the wealth and extravagance. It is absolutely mind boggling how much money is concentrated here.

But we are meager wage-earners, just eeking out a lifestyle in the middle of metropolis. Truly an amazing place.

This is Newport Beach, arguably the richest coastline on the west coast, we're out for our 25th wedding anniversary. A building lot on the harbor is worth millions of dollars.
We have been here for 27 years now, but may move back up the coast to Oregon to retire. We can build a brand new home on a huge lot, or even acreage, for half of what a home costs here in So-Cal. It is one of the most expensive places to live in the entire nation.

The yacht I want to buy and move aboard...

Going out for a harbor cruise...

On the California-Arizona border, the 'Colorado river lakes' - dammed lakes of the mighty Colorado, Lake Havasu - about 275 miles away, RV and boat, and the grown kids for thanksgiving holiday last year:

Okay, I've rambled enough... ;)

A local ride …
2020-02-14-rwgps-a.jpg

Where Jen and I live on the far outskirts of metropolitan Brisbane, there are some roads to avoid and some to enjoy. Choosing a bike that could tackle both hills and gravel was a major consideration when I decided to buy an ebike three years ago.

The first road to note is the M2 Warrego Highway running east-west. This is the main route from Brisbane to Darwin (3426 km; 36 hours) and is not a place for any kind of bicycle although it is an excellent way to get my ebikes (on the bike rack!) into Brisbane. (M = motorway)

The second road to avoid is the A17 Brisbane Valley Highway running north from the M2. Don't even think of using it! (A = major highway)

I keep to quiet country roads and the rail trail. The map shows my local ride last Friday – about 25 km gravel; 50 km sealed. Starting from home (the green marker that Ride with GPS has obliterated by placing a red 'end ride' marker over it!) we head north to Pine Mountain (click for photo; Bryces Rd) and then south through Muirlea on a switchback road that cannot make up its mind whether it should be gravel or tar. The chances of meeting another road user are so remote that it seems imperative to raise a hand in greeting should it happen.

It's back to the present-day reality as we cross over the constant stream of M2 traffic in North Ipswich. We're into Ipswich, once a country town but now overwhelmed by Brisbane's sprawl. (Ever more people – five billion more since when Jen and I started our lives.)

In Woodend the Coking Ovens are passed (click for photo). There are good cafés there but I usually keep going. A wide concrete bikeway – actually the start of the 161 km Brisbane Valley Rail Trail – takes one through Brassall before becoming a rough track through farmland all the way to the Brisbane River…
2020-02-14-b-riv-right-aaa.jpg

And so to the double-crossing of the Brisbane Valley Highway. Look right… look left… look right again! After a few minutes it's rail trail all the way home! This late afternoon photo was taken looking west from the Brisbane Valley Highway crossing…
2020-02-14-wanora-wal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost a whole week without rain! Not a cloud in the sky today so one can faintly see Vancouver Island in the distance.
I wish we could go 1 hour without rain (and wind) :( Tomorrow is looking truly awful...thankfully Sunday looks more promising (after some early snow showers) and we might even see a bright light in the sky if we are very lucky ;) Loving all the photos and stories in here, keep them coming folks:)

I wish we could go 1 hour without rain (and wind) :( Tomorrow is looking truly awful...thankfully Sunday looks more promising (after some early snow showers) and we might even see a bright light in the sky if we are very lucky ;) Loving all the photos and stories in here, keep them coming folks:)
At the risk of repeating myself this is for you RabH "When lonely feelings chill the meadows of your mind, Just think if Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?"

Back