2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Friends, mentally preparing for an interesting ride. I promised my "brethren" Jacek & Piotr to visit them one week after that wedding with my Vado, because Piotr hasn't seen that e-bike* yet. I would be riding downwind, making the trip quite pleasant. Untypically, I'm going to re-charge the battery at Jacek's place to be able to make the return way upwind. Wish me luck! :)

I guess no pictures this time.
-----------------------
*) Jacek is a joker. When he was telling Piotr about my Vado, he remarked: "Know what? People laugh at our brother. He has a registration plate on his bicycle! Fancy that! A registration plate on a bicycle!" 🤣

Fat Thursday in Jaktorów

Every and each Pole must eat at least one pączek (plural: pączki) on Fat Thursday, which is the last Thursday before the Ash Wednesday. We also eat faworki (angel wings), although I personally dislike them. The Fat Thursday is the greatest day of the year for Polish bakers/confectioners but it is also the feast for diabetics :D Any diabetic would do whatever possible to have had at least one pączek on the day!

With my newly developed insulin resistance, I was among them. Light breakfast, couple hours of fasting, and then an intensive e-bike ride in Eco mode, so I could reach the destination at low glucose level and then burn carbs on the way back :) If the life were so simple!

My destination was Jaktorów, basically a meaningless location, one of many. Yet, there is a cake shop in Jaktorów, which I often visited on my numerous bike rides in the past. What a surprise! The demand for pączki is very high on FT and the supply is limited. Once I reached the cake shop at 3 p.m., the assistant there told me: -- "I'm so sorry! The last of our pączki have just sold out! We still have some faworki though" -- I must have looked miserable, told her my story; she smiled and replied -- "Don't worry! There still are some of our pączki in the confectionery on the opposite, by the Police station!" -- I thanked her and rode my Vado to the opposite side of the street, next to the Police station :) I was welcomed with smiles by two ladies there, especially after I told them about the diabetes, the bike ride and all. What a delight to have as many as two pączki, filled with a delicious rose marmalade!

Not the end of the story! When I was finished, I wanted to take the photo of the original cake shop. At that moment, a man approached me and with the look of utter surprise he pointed out at the registration plate of my Vado: -- Are bicycles being licensed nowadays?! -- he exclaimed with disgust. He looked a low-level decorator (stains of paint on his face, cap and clothes were proving that) and he was tipsy a bit (for what he made some excuse). We had a long and humorous talk. He was not as ignorant as I thought! He knew about the 25 km/h speed restriction, he knew about hub-motor e-bikes but was stunned with the sight of the stealthy mid-drive motor S-Pedelec. He even mentioned the name of Shimano!

I returned tired but happy. The glucose level in my blood on my return was 116, very good! And I only weigh 219 lbs today (17 lbs body weight loss in 50 days)!

View attachment 46098
I had to stop at this beautiful sight. (Of course, it is the 25 mph speed limit here). Now I carry my Pentax K-1 camera in the battery compartment of Ortlieb E-mate pannier. Need to buy a lightweight lens though as the existing lens is far too heavy.

View attachment 46099
The Sweets' Land, the confectionery "on the opposite, next to the Police station". The Police station is at far right.

View attachment 46100
After my purchase, only a dozen of pączki was left. Pączki are made with some spirits added to make them fluffy. The alcohol evaporates during baking.

View attachment 46101
Soooo delicious!

View attachment 46102
I was riding upwind on a heavy-traffic segment of some road. To avoid blocking the traffic, I found the moment no cars or lorries were in the sight and sped in Turbo mode. The wind was strong enough to check me at 20.5 mph (33 km/h). It was fast enough. With 500+ kcal burnt, I was able to fulfil my plan!

View attachment 46103
Route stats & map

A paczek
Fat Thursday in Jaktorów

Every and each Pole must eat at least one pączek (plural: pączki) on Fat Thursday, which is the last Thursday before the Ash Wednesday. We also eat faworki (angel wings), although I personally dislike them. The Fat Thursday is the greatest day of the year for Polish bakers/confectioners but it is also the feast for diabetics :D Any diabetic would do whatever possible to have had at least one pączek on the day!

With my newly developed insulin resistance, I was among them. Light breakfast, couple hours of fasting, and then an intensive e-bike ride in Eco mode, so I could reach the destination at low glucose level and then burn carbs on the way back :) If the life were so simple!

My destination was Jaktorów, basically a meaningless location, one of many. Yet, there is a cake shop in Jaktorów, which I often visited on my numerous bike rides in the past. What a surprise! The demand for pączki is very high on FT and the supply is limited. Once I reached the cake shop at 3 p.m., the assistant there told me: -- "I'm so sorry! The last of our pączki have just sold out! We still have some faworki though" -- I must have looked miserable, told her my story; she smiled and replied -- "Don't worry! There still are some of our pączki in the confectionery on the opposite, by the Police station!" -- I thanked her and rode my Vado to the opposite side of the street, next to the Police station :) I was welcomed with smiles by two ladies there, especially after I told them about the diabetes, the bike ride and all. What a delight to have as many as two pączki, filled with a delicious rose marmalade!

Not the end of the story! When I was finished, I wanted to take the photo of the original cake shop. At that moment, a man approached me and with the look of utter surprise he pointed out at the registration plate of my Vado: -- Are bicycles being licensed nowadays?! -- he exclaimed with disgust. He looked a low-level decorator (stains of paint on his face, cap and clothes were proving that) and he was tipsy a bit (for what he made some excuse). We had a long and humorous talk. He was not as ignorant as I thought! He knew about the 25 km/h speed restriction, he knew about hub-motor e-bikes but was stunned with the sight of the stealthy mid-drive motor S-Pedelec. He even mentioned the name of Shimano!

I returned tired but happy. The glucose level in my blood on my return was 116, very good! And I only weigh 219 lbs today (17 lbs body weight loss in 50 days)!

View attachment 46098
I had to stop at this beautiful sight. (Of course, it is the 25 mph speed limit here). Now I carry my Pentax K-1 camera in the battery compartment of Ortlieb E-mate pannier. Need to buy a lightweight lens though as the existing lens is far too heavy.

View attachment 46099
The Sweets' Land, the confectionery "on the opposite, next to the Police station". The Police station is at far right.

View attachment 46100
After my purchase, only a dozen of pączki was left. Pączki are made with some spirits added to make them fluffy. The alcohol evaporates during baking.

View attachment 46101
Soooo delicious!

View attachment 46102
I was riding upwind on a heavy-traffic segment of some road. To avoid blocking the traffic, I found the moment no cars or lorries were in the sight and sped in Turbo mode. The wind was strong enough to check me at 20.5 mph (33 km/h). It was fast enough. With 500+ kcal burnt, I was able to fulfil my plan!

View attachment 46103
Route stats & map

Those paczki look like a jelly filled donut here in the US. Also, here in the US , it's Fat Tuesday !!! The day before Ash Wednesday. It's also the time for the big Mardi Gras in New Orleans,La. I have never been to the Mardi Gras , also known as Shrove Tuesday , but have watched videos on YouTube. A very wild time.

Stefan you are always welcome

Sweet ride and nice colour ! Where did you purchase that beauty from Guv?
Those paczki look like a jelly filled donut here in the US. Also, here in the US , it's Fat Tuesday !!! The day before Ash Wednesday. It's also the time for the big Mardi Gras in New Orleans,La. I have never been to the Mardi Gras , also known as Shrove Tuesday , but have watched videos on YouTube. A very wild time.
A short ride along the Vedder River with my wife.

@ Mr. Mercier - heading to our LBS tomorrow to see if they have the saddle you mentioned and we ordered our bikes from CitE Cycles in Langley.
@ Mr. Milkes - the pączki seems to have all the main food groups covered, preservatives, bread, and alcohol...YUMMO!!

Attachments

• DSC01948.JPG
    DSC01948.JPG
    819.2 KB · Views: 347
Fat Thursday in Jaktorów

View attachment 46098

View attachment 46099

View attachment 46100

View attachment 46101
Soooo delicious!

View attachment 46102

View attachment 46103
Route stats & map
great posts Stefan, congrats on dropping those pounds, a previous post of yours had a picture of 3000 cals used up on your ride, that has to help, your plan to eat a paczkki (or two) is similar to mine to work for an ale (or two) - I grew up in the mountains of a coal mining community (Crowsnest Pass, sw Alberta and south east British Columbia) in Canada and many of the miners were of Polish descent - New Year's eve had to be at the Polish Hall and your pictures of the Polish wedding put me in mind of that - my grandmother was noted for knowing many languages and helped many immigrants get settled and I wished I paid more attention to my background - when the families came over from Eastern Europe in the early twentieth century were very quiet about where they came from because in those days if you were from a country not with the Allies you had to register as an enemy of the state and who wanted that in your new start - anyways during my early days as a young coal miner I have fond memories of the Polish descent workers keeping an eye on me while instilling the strong work ethic that those fellows gave every day - I'll keep sharing your posts with my better half and maybe convince her a trip to the "homeland" would work for our retirement ...

A local ride …
View attachment 46045

Where Jen and I live on the far outskirts of metropolitan Brisbane, there are some roads to avoid and some to enjoy. Choosing a bike that could tackle both hills and gravel was a major consideration when I decided to buy an ebike three years ago.

The first road to note is the M2 Warrego Highway running east-west. This is the main route from Brisbane to Darwin (3426 km; 36 hours) and is not a place for any kind of bicycle although it is an excellent way to get my ebikes (on the bike rack!) into Brisbane. (M = motorway)

The second road to avoid is the A17 Brisbane Valley Highway running north from the M2. Don't even think of using it! (A = major highway)

I keep to quiet country roads and the rail trail. The map shows my local ride last Friday – about 25 km gravel; 50 km sealed. Starting from home (the green marker that Ride with GPS has obliterated by placing a red 'end ride' marker over it!) we head north to Pine Mountain (click for photo; Bryces Rd) and then south through Muirlea on a switchback road that cannot make up its mind whether it should be gravel or tar. The chances of meeting another road user are so remote that it seems imperative to raise a hand in greeting should it happen.

It's back to the present-day reality as we cross over the constant stream of M2 traffic in North Ipswich. We're into Ipswich, once a country town but now overwhelmed by Brisbane's sprawl. (Ever more people – five billion more since when Jen and I started our lives.)

In Woodend the Coking Ovens are passed (click for photo). There are good cafés there but I usually keep going. A wide concrete bikeway – actually the start of the 161 km Brisbane Valley Rail Trail – takes one through Brassall before becoming a rough track through farmland all the way to the Brisbane River…
View attachment 46044

And so to the double-crossing of the Brisbane Valley Highway. Look right… look left… look right again! After a few minutes it's rail trail all the way home! This late afternoon photo was taken looking west from the Brisbane Valley Highway crossing…
View attachment 46043
I look forward to your awe inspiring pics of downunder from our chilly climate in Canada but now look forward to our visit tomorrow to at least your part of the hemisphere in the Cook Islands, we have electric bikes rented for the entire month and after recuperating from the 24 hour travel hope to get in some great rides in the sub-tropics

Friends,
Some answers seem to be in place:
a. Endomondo is unaware of the existence of e-bikes. Big number of calories burnt as reported is wrong. The truth is reported by the Vado's power meter and it might be 500 kcal.
b. Pączki are freshly baked in Poland on Fat Thursday, hence no preservatives. Yes you can buy them preserved at supermarkets but the point of FT is to have them fresh so cake shops and confectioneries are under siege on the day. Many people eat as many as dozen of pączki on the FT!
c. Heard of and read about Mardi Gras to refresh my knowledge before I wrote about the Fat Thursday :)
d. A good friend of mine lives in Queens NYC. She often posts interesting pictures on her Facebook Wall. Aren't the American "pączki" called "Bavarian donut"?

Canada and her hospitality! When my old Norwegian manager Odd and I flew in Vancouver, we both thought at first the Canadian were unfriendly because of the way we were interrogated by the Immigration officer at the airport. Soon, that changed. An old friend of Odd was waiting for us outside and we drove/took ferries straight to the Sunshine Coast, admiring the looks of Vancouver en route. We were on business, looking for engineering software we might be selling in the future. The software was developed by a Canadian couple. Odd was telling me often how much British Columbia reminded him of Norway. In the afternoon next day we were for dinner at a restaurant in Sechelt. We were approached by a group of diners there and invited for a talk. It turned out, there was a fresh immigrant from Ukraine, Marina among them. All the people thought I had come to Sechelt to settle there and treated me as their new neighbour! Amazing!

We also visited the couple at home by the Sechelt Inlet. While we were sipping delicious tea, a bear wanted to enter the pantry. Amazing!

P.S. Almost ready to ride. I told you Jacek was a joker. I wrote him that message: -- "Jacek, I want to visit you today. Tell me if you'll be at home. If you don't mind, I'd like to charge my battery at your place" -- to which he replied -- "We' ll be at home and no lack of electricity here" 🤣

Last edited:
Friends, mentally preparing for an interesting ride. I promised my "brethren" Jacek & Piotr to visit them one week after that wedding with my Vado, because Piotr hasn't seen that e-bike* yet. I would be riding downwind, making the trip quite pleasant. Untypically, I'm going to re-charge the battery at Jacek's place to be able to make the return way upwind. Wish me luck! :)

I guess no pictures this time.
-----------------------
*) Jacek is a joker. When he was telling Piotr about my Vado, he remarked: "Know what? People laugh at our brother. He has a registration plate on his bicycle! Fancy that! A registration plate on a bicycle!" 🤣
Good luck Stefan, I hope you don't have the 100km winds we have here! Imagine the speed we could achieve with that wind behind us ;) I won't be attempting the e bike speed record today:p

Friends,
Some answers seem to be in place:
a. Endomondo is unaware of the existence of e-bikes. Big number of calories burnt as reported is wrong. The truth is reported by the Vado's power meter and it might be 500 kcal.
b. Pączki are freshly baked in Poland on Fat Thursday, hence no preservatives. Yes you can buy them preserved at supermarkets but the point of FT is to have them fresh so cake shops and confectioneries are under siege on the day. Many people eat as many as dozen of pączki on the FT!
c. Heard of and read about Mardi Gras to refresh my knowledge before I wrote about the Fat Thursday :)
d. A good friend of mine lives in Queens NYC. She often posts interesting pictures on her Facebook Wall. Aren't the American "pączki" called "Bavarian donut"?

Canada and her hospitality! When my old Norwegian manager Odd and I flew in Vancouver, we both thought at first the Canadian were unfriendly because of the way we were interrogated by the Immigration officer at the airport. Soon, that changed. An old friend of Odd was waiting for us outside and we drove/took ferries straight to the Sunshine Coast, admiring the looks of Vancouver en route. We were on business, looking for engineering software we might be selling in the future. The software was developed by a Canadian couple. Odd was telling me often how much British Columbia reminded him of Norway. In the afternoon next day we were for dinner at a restaurant in Sechelt. We were approached by a group of diners there and invited for a talk. It turned out, there was a fresh immigrant from Ukraine, Marina among them. All the people thought I had come to Sechelt to settle there and treated me as their new neighbour! Amazing!

We also visited the couple at home by the Sechelt Inlet. While we were sipping delicious tea, a bear wanted to enter the pantry. Amazing!

P.S. Almost ready to ride. I told you Jacek was a joker. I wrote him that message: -- "Jacek, I want to visit you today. Tell me if you'll be at home. If you don't mind, I'd like to charge my battery at your place" -- to which he replied -- "We' ll be at home and no lack of electricity here" 🤣
My family called jam and marmalade preservatives, i think because in the old days when my mum used to can (in this case jar with a good bit of parifin wax on top). In those days there weren't fresh veggies/fruit available year round.

Good luck Stefan, I hope you don't have the 100km winds we have here! Imagine the speed we could achieve with that wind behind us ;)
I had a 32 km/h (20 mph) wind both ways today 🤣 Will write later.

My family called jam and marmalade preservatives, i think because in the old days when my mum used to can (in this case jar with a good bit of parifin wax on top). In those days there weren't fresh veggies/fruit available year round.
Now I got it!!!

E.T. ignores Elliott the Terrestrial and his electric trike …
2020-02-21-et-aaa.jpg

Moora Park, Shorncliffe, QLD
Sometimes rides don't turn out as expected…

An hour into Friday's ride I arrived at Moora Park in Shorncliffe – a kilometre or so beyond where last week's trawler photo was taken. It's right at the water's edge next to the Shorncliffe Pier, a perfect spot to stop. (Nothing unexpected as yet!)

The usual? (Mario, the barista)
Oh, yes! (me)

I've read somewhere (A.A.Gill?) that one requirement – there are a half-dozen others – for a contented retirement is to be 'known' by name and preferred refreshment at at least one café. Mario's Cocoa Biscotti is mine.

As hissing sounds issued from a steaming espresso machine onboard Mario's revitalised 1972 Piaggio Ape, in cruised Elliott and his extraterestrial friend on their electric trike complete with E.T. valve caps and, I suspect, a generally unused but nattily colour-coordinated chain. The joys of a throttle-controlled hub drive? Can you imagine anyone ever telling them that they are 'cheating'?

Blaaap! Blaaap! issued from a horn that must surely have been purloined from a classic car.

The usual for another regular.

After a while spent sitting and sipping and wishing out loud for pleasanter weather (meaning cooler), it was time to be off…

25 km already ridden; 35 more to my halfway Deception Bay lunch stop; turn around and head back to the car with a stop for an afternoon gelato under Mario's umbrella. A pleasant ride and a very good reason for having a dual-battery system.

It wasn't to be. No sooner had I restarted my journey along the promenade known as Lovers Walk than my Bosch system failed. The Kiox display jammed part way between pages and, no matter which buttons were pushed, no power was transmitted to the motor or to the electronic gears. What, or who, was to blame? Aha! A smoking gun glowing finger! The Homage had been zapped by an alien!

To my embarrassment, I realised that I had not brought the ebike's key so there was no possibility of restoring order by removing and replacing the batteries; however, I was able to remove the Kiox display but it continued to glow uselessly (clearly, E.T.'s doing!); everything else, Rohloff E-14 included, was dead.

Twenty minutes later, the Homage and I were on a train heading back to the car; there's a limit to how far I am prepared to pedal without assistance, especially with a Bosch Gen3 motor.

One hour after being disabled by the alien, the Kiox was still 'on'. Home by the shortest route. In Brisbane that means bypassing the city by tunnelling beneath it and coming up the other side. You can get lost down there!

Back home, I treated the Homage to a gentle hose down – we'd gone through the wetlands – and rolled it into the shed. The Kiox had finally switched itself off somewhere beneath Brisbane and now, as is the peculiar habit of the beast, switched itself on when rolled backwards.

Where to? (from Kiox, as if nothing untoward had happened)
Up the rail trail! (me)

Sigh. (Not for the first time on this thread.)

——————————
  • Piaggio : Italian maker of Vespa (Wasp) scooters and, from 1948 until present, Ape (Bee; think apiary) three-wheelers.
  • E.T. the Exra-Terrestrial : Steven Spielberg's 1982 fllm.
  • Elliott : E.T.'s Earthling friend

Last edited by a moderator:
The Family E-bike Service

I read David's story with awe and growing expectation for more adventures on the long ride just to learn about his bad luck :( Thing turned out completely differently for me today.

My day was tainted with a gusty wind, 24/32 km/h (15-20 mph). The outward ride was "running", downwind. It was a great pleasure to sail on my Vado, reaching 42 km/h (26 mph) at times. The net riding time for 35 km (21.7 mi) distance was just 1 hour 10 minutes. The reason to take the Vado to see my family was Piotr (the younger of brethren) has not seen that bike before. As soon as I arrived, I removed the battery and brought it in the kitchen to re-charge. Meanwhile Jacek (the older of the two) was already riding the unpowered Vado over his homestead.

Both brothers are apt mechanics; they fix their own cars themselves, motorcycles or bikes are not secret to them. Both ride their All Mountain or Cross Country bikes for pleasure very much. Jacek is crazy about the concept mechanisms need to work as intended. After short ride, he has detected the first suspicious noises from my bike. I don't want to bore you with details what they had fixed (there were many things to be serviced there), it is enough to say my front mudguard was almost completely loose, the front hydraulic brake needed its pads adjusted, or that the brethren made reinforcement for my bike's registration plate. Even the kickstand went loose!

Meanwhile, I tested Piotr's latest Scott cross-country bike and was shocked I could lift it with one hand! Because the aluminium bike weighed just 12 kg, with RockShox front shock and all.

Finally, Jacek and Piotr were satisfied with their work. We went to Renata who served delicious potato pancakes with sour cream and dill for lunch. Meanwhile, the battery was charging, charging, charging and the time was running.

Satiated, Jacek went to demo ride the Vado unpowered. He took a 4 km loop downwind and upwind. He recorded the average speed of 24 km/h. We lost our patience and inserted the battery. Jacek took the powered test ride that time, Turbo mode. He easily hit 45 km/h (28 mph) downwind but could not ride any faster than that. On the upwind way, he could not ride faster than 33 km/h (20.5 mph). The average speed on the 4 km route was over 33 km/h.

Piotr: -- Isn't it Jacek returning? -- I could see a bright glow at a distance, a glow of LEDish light. I could not believe the Specialized headlamp AD 2017 was so bright! And yes, it was Jacek.

Then we had to re-charge the battery to 100% and waited, waited, waited :)

The return upwind route was hard. I'll only tell you I have already learned to like riding in the cold, in the darkness, in a symbolic but cold rain and against strong headwind. If not the range anxiety! It turned out I could have ridden all the way back in the Sport mode and it would be fine.

Another great day and my e-bike got fixes!

1582408232546.png

Jacek returning from his powered Vado test ride. (We should have risen the saddle for him). Notice the damaged fence: A truck hit it a couple days ago.

1582408732017.png

Endomondo was wrong about weather, wind, temperature and calories :(

Here is what my bike looked like today. I rode 0.8 miles down the hill, had rehearsal and then 0.8 miles back up the hill for lunch and enjoying the warm, sunny weather on the patio. Then it was 0.8 miles back down to a dark performance center. We had our concert, I could not play very well for some reason and my violin lived up to its name--Old Scratchy. I try to play quiet so it cannot be heard. Then I load back up and ride the 0.8 miles home. While we had the concert, the weather had changed to clouds and wind and it might snow tonight. Or rain.
Whatever, I see the weather is predicted to be in the 50s next week!

46243Inside the pannier is my Viking helmet. This concert was for kids and we dressed in costumes. Our first tune was Flight of the Valkyrie, or as I prefer to call it, Kill The Wabbit. That's why I had my trusty plastic Viking helmet along.

Once again, the temps soared into the 60s(f), but the only time I had free to ride was later afternoon about 3:30pm.

I made the most of it, trying for speed to outrun the declining daylight hours. Once again, I was waylaid by stopping to talk to a neighbor several miles down the road who, with a pair of adorable corgis more than happy to chase my bike down the road, was at the end of her driveway in full "spring cleaning" mode with her property. It would have been rude just to have zoomed on by with simply a hand wave and a quick hello, especially since I haven't seen this neighbor in months.

Back on the road I leaned rather heavily on the assist, switching my route for the final 1/3 of the ride from the gravel roads over to the paved road for faster travel, trying to make up for lost time. Then lost the advantage stopping to pick up some road litter which resulted in the sun taking the lead in a nosedive towards the horizon.

I was greeted with this sunset at the end of my 23.9 mile ride:
BikeRide-2-23-2020-evening-sky.jpg

My riding buddy a 100 miles south of me texted that she had done 20 miles. She still beat me this weekend, accomplishing 32 miles on her bike club's Saturday ride while I achieved only 7 miles with a relaxed group ride around a local town to benefit the homeless. At least we had a police "escort" (on bikes) which was fun. I also learned a novel way to use a pair of handcuffs as an impromptu bicycle lock.

I now want a set of handcuffs for my bike!

Last edited:
This afternoon was the first shakedown ride for the new BH hardtail... the latest addition to the stable.

I was pleasantly surprised by the smooth power delivery of the Yamaha PW-SE compared to my PW-X.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists) (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists) (Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)

Been itching all Winter to get a decent length ride in with recently acquired BH eMTB that I purchased December 2019. I got 25 mile ride in, mostly paved trails. It's just so blah out this time of year. Everything dull and gray looking. No greenery to speak of. It took the blue of the twin Grand Island bridges (15 minutes from Niagara Falls NY or Canada to give you idea location) to get me to stop and rest and take requisite photo of newish bike. Thumbs up for the sound of the Brose S motor.....there is none.

1582576210210.png

Back