2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
If you are interested in the outcome of the e-bike guitar trip...

1604226715070.png

My "Blondie".

Took a Sunday ride today to one of my favorite fishing ports. It was quite windy today but not enough to convince me to stay in. Love the great outdoors.

Attachments

• C723EBED-9FEC-4927-B31A-A241D1B087B2-20645-0000137BADFCC154.JPG
    C723EBED-9FEC-4927-B31A-A241D1B087B2-20645-0000137BADFCC154.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 8F4822B2-2C72-4F11-BDBA-3025AF278C67.jpeg
    8F4822B2-2C72-4F11-BDBA-3025AF278C67.jpeg
    490.4 KB · Views: 348
  • E3C5C77A-7DAA-41A5-BE7C-37CB30FB7864.jpeg
    E3C5C77A-7DAA-41A5-BE7C-37CB30FB7864.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 330
  • B403141A-31D9-4E2B-AD86-9BE49AA91B00.jpeg
    B403141A-31D9-4E2B-AD86-9BE49AA91B00.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 332
  • 233DD12C-4ACD-4939-A55E-DF3AABE6E80C.jpeg
    233DD12C-4ACD-4939-A55E-DF3AABE6E80C.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 332
Especially when one has an ebike to offset the wind.

What a beautiful place to go for a ride!
Hehe yes exactly.

Edit: Yes the place is great I love this route. It’s mostly coastal roads and dramatic views and the gazebo on the side of the road is my usual stop and snack spot with the lovely view to boot. I wasn’t going to stay in today since it’s the first day I’m fully rested since the big earthquake here on Friday. The aftershocks have been waking me at all hours of the night Friday thru Saturday.

Last edited:
Almost forgot : Plan B for when the weather turns foul

Murrumba Downs Station : Queensland Rail

Murrumba Downs, Queensland
To be serious: on longer rides that do not start from home, I often leave the car at or near a railway station. If something goes wrong, obviously it wasn't the weather on yesterday's ride (above), there is an easy escape route.

Notice the decidedly low-tech, but essential, equipment shared by train and ebike?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe yes exactly.

Edit: Yes the place is great I love this route. It’s mostly coastal roads and dramatic views and the gazebo on the side of the road is my usual stop and snack spot with the lovely view to boot. I wasn’t going to stay in today since it’s the first day I’m fully rested since the big earthquake here on Friday. The aftershocks have been waking me at all hours of the night Friday thru Saturday.
It is beautiful, hopefully things will calm down!

Endomondo Is Dead, Long Live Strava

Yesterday, I learned with great sorrow that Endomondo (a popular sports tracker I've been using since 2013) would be retired by the end of this year. Today, I found SyncMyTracks, a paid smartphone app that allows transferring workout data between different sport trackers. It has turned out I had as many as 185 riding days on Endomondo since August 21st, 2019. In case somebody wants to maintain a Strava relationship with me, my display name there is Stefan Mikeš Mikulski.

Since I had been already aware of Endomondo collapse, I started BLEvo app on my Vado for today's Sunday ride to meet my older daughter. For those who don't know it, BLEvo is an Italian app written by Paolo Diozi that gives full insight into the workings of Specialized (TCU-based) Turbo e-bikes, allows deep tuning of the motor, produces a dashboard with all online ride parameters you might want to know, creates extensive ride reports, has maps, and exports the ride data to Strava. It was the first time I got fully convinced to BLEvo.

1604271663504.png

Unfortunately, my smartphone was set to Polish today. BLEvo works in your language. This specific screenshot has an accidental error: The inclination is measured precisely and it never was 20% on my ride. The two green fields at the bottom are for battery and motor temperature. I doubt even Bosch Nyon is so detailed :) BLEvo gives two ride distances: the one given by e-bike controller and depending on the wheel size, and the GPS based ride distance. Rider's power as well as power drawn by the motor from the battery are indicated, too.

1604272463896.png

It was 9 C when I started the ride but only 6 C when I was returning home. Stiff headwind on the way back! I was using 40/40% assistance on the Vado, which I call "Winter ECO". (Next time, I will set up my phone to English).

1604272595835.png

I was doing everything possible to make the ride less boring for me ;) With my Giant e-bike, we'll see how good the latest RideControl 2 app really is for Strava. With Lovelec e-bike, I will need to record my rides traditionally with Strava as a tracker app.

Last edited:
Today’s ride was stellar weather wise as it hit 18C. I cycled to Lacombe as I have been doing so every week but I set out later than usual today. The days are becoming shorter with DST and at the time of this shot (4pm MST), both my Varia and Cygolite Hotshot had run their course. Fortunately, I still had my helmet light as back up.
IMG_20201101_1557063.jpg

Screenshot_2020-11-01 Garmin Connect.jpg

Screenshot_2020-11-01 Garmin Connect(1).jpg

Screenshot_2020-11-01 Garmin Connect(2).jpg

Today's temps were forcast to peak at 78°F with calm winds. In past years wer've often had inches of rain by now and sometimes snow. Couldn't pass up the opportunity for perfect riding weather!

There was wildfire smoke laying low as I left the house, but no problems during the ride.

Rode through town to see the new Clamper Square railroad museum display. Clamper Square has been owned by the local Clampers chapter since the highway was put through in the 60's. It had a plaque that commemorated the terminus of the Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad that was opened just to the east of this spot in 1876.
P1010526.jpg

P1010498.jpg
P1010497.jpg

The N.C.N.G.R.R., also known as the 'Never Come Never Go Railroad', operated for over 60 years shipping gold, timber, and agricultural products to the main line rail connection in Colfax, CA some 22 miles away and returnning with mining equipment and other supplies. The mines were closed as non-essential industries early in WWII. The tracks for the Never Come Never Go were torn up shortly thereafter and recycled for the war effort.

P1010527.jpg

The Never Come Never Go lives on thanks to a small army of local volunteers that recondition rail road equipment and operate the nearby N.C.N.G.R.R. museum. If you're a railroad buff, or just like a bit of Western history now and then, it is worth your time. Hours are limited now due to the 'pest', but check their web site for updates. BTW - several local Eagle Scout projects helped the museum open and refurbish at least one of the steam engines on display.

Being the Day of the Dead (Día de Muertos), I made it a point to visit my parents graves and say hello, then home to dinner. A very pleasant day.

November 1 Autumn Ride Along the Skagit River

On October 14, I was able to resume riding after the late August surgery on my left quad. That was sooner than I thought possible and most importantly there appears to be less muscle loss than anticipated. I am overwhelmed with gratitude to the doctors, and medical staff for their amazing care, and to the healing power of the universe in this uncertain time.

I have been able to ride almost every day since then, although there have been a few due to weather or pain that I have sat out. In the seventeen days of October I managed to ride 338 miles so the unavoidable conclusion is that I am back. I do have to work off the extra weight I put on being idled for six weeks but I am able to ride almost as strong as before and keep up with my roady friends on group rides just fine.

Yesterday, my friend Matt and I drove down to Skagit county and up highway 20 to Concrete WA. We continued on our bikes up 20 to Rockport and then up the Sauk River, crossing over and then down the south bank of the Skagit River. It was a perfect bluebird day with temperatures in the mid sixties, not a breath of wind, cloudless sky and crystal clear. I was riding my Trek Allant+9.9s while Matt was riding his Specialized Turbo Creo. 33 miles of gorgeous ride. Today looks almost as good. Tomorrow the rain starts for four days and then bitter cold is supposed to arrive. This may be the last warm and sunny day till spring. I plan to make the best of it (which of course means a bike ride).

20201101_142904.jpg

20201101_143014.jpg

DSCF0270.JPG

20201101_141908.jpg

DSCF0278.JPG

DSCF0279.JPG

DSCF0282.JPG

Last edited:
@Alaskan sets the best example how determination and e-bikes can help us recover health. A little statistics from my side here.

I eventually managed to convert my e-bike ride history from the dying Endomondo to Strava. Actually, I had to edit many activities to keep them OK with Strava philosophy (for instance, you need to declare "e-bike ride", not just "ride", and it is better to define which bike was ridden on which ride (in case you own multiple bikes). This thread helped me a lot to recollect my rides, FB and my photo archive helped, too.

When I bought my first e-bike 14 months ago (and some of you could see my pictures of that time at this Forum), I was an obese man who could hardly walk or lift anything. I bought my last traditional bike in 2013, with the intention to ride for health improvement. However, riding a traditional bike is closely related to suffering; hence my rides used to be infrequent and for short distances. Since I've bought my first e-bike, I lost weight, my shape has improved, it is no pain for me to walk upstairs, and I can easily carry heavy e-bikes in my hands whenever necessary, is it a fallen tree or upstairs.

I would never have dreamt I could ride so frequently, so far and so fast, and be actually looking for excuses to ride out...

1604336549327.png

Over eight thousand kilometres ridden in fourteen months and a week?! (Strava has cropped my farthest distance of 122.7 km though).

1604336962244.png

My favourite rides of this Summer. Memories, memories...

I also got a breakdown of the ride distances for each of my e-bike. Vado is the leader with Lovelec in the second place, and the Trance E+ the last.

Viva e-bikes!

November 1 Autumn Ride Along the Skagit River

On October 14, I was able to resume riding after the late August surgery on my left quad. That was sooner than I thought possible and most importantly there appears to be less muscle loss than anticipated. I am overwhelmed with gratitude to the doctors, and medical staff for their amazing care, and to the healing power of the universe in this uncertain time.

I have been able to ride almost every day since then, although there have been a few due to weather or pain that I have sat out. In the seventeen days of October I managed to ride 338 miles so the unavoidable conclusion is that I am back. I do have to work off the extra weight I put on being idled for six weeks but I am able to ride almost as strong as before and keep up with my roady friends on group rides just fine.

Yesterday, my friend Matt and I drove down to Skagit county and up highway 20 to Concrete WA. We continued on our bikes up 20 to Rockport and then up the Sauk River, crossing over and then down the south bank of the Skagit River. It was a perfect bluebird day with temperatures in the mid sixties, not a breath of wind, cloudless sky and crystal clear. I was riding my Trek Allant+9.9s while Matt was riding his Specialized Turbo Creo. 33 miles of gorgeous ride. Today looks almost as good. Tomorrow the rain starts for four days and then bitter cold is supposed to arrive. This may be the last warm and sunny day till spring. I plan to make the best of it (which of course means a bike ride).

View attachment 70430
View attachment 70431

View attachment 70432

View attachment 70433

View attachment 70434

View attachment 70435

View attachment 70436
Inspirational post if ever I saw one, I'm so glad your recovery is going so well :)

Back