2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Electro-Acoustic Guitar E-Bike Ride

There is a luthier by nickname of Witwa in Mazovia. He's the Grand Master of his craft. Yet he's a human, and he is... slow. Very slow. Suffice to say, my broken (that is, damaged) electro-acoustic Ibanez guitar had spent some six months at the shop until Witwa recollected he had it ready. I didn't mind: I didn't need that guitar in recent months; I just wanted to have it repaired/rebuilt someday. The luthier was very sorry; he kept the original repair price of some $127 (it's chicken money for the service) and he did incredible work on the guitar - it could be shown at some exhibition now and be played by Tommy Emmanuel with no regrets :) (I cannot show you the picture of the guitar right now because I want to take the photo in good lighting).

I agreed with Piotr to meet him at his place at 14:00 (sorry for the military time format, it is how we write it in Europe), and I rode out at 13:02. No stops on the ride, and it took me 49 minutes of moving time to reach Witwa's place. He was actually surprised to see me at two past meridiem sharp :) We exchanged pleasantries, he showed me photos of the guitar BEFORE and the actual guitar AFTER the overhaul. He asked me to play the guitar: I played three chords and was stunned with the sound quality and the feel of the reconstructed AEL40S-RLV. I paid him, we packed the instrument into backpack-hardcase and...

View attachment 70191
...I had to learn riding the bike with the case on my back! :D

View attachment 70192
"Daddy, daddy, I CAN RIDE!" :D

View attachment 70193
"Keep rollin', rollin', rollin'
Though the streams are swollen
Keep them doggies rollin', Rawhide!"
It was difficult to get on and off the bike. The real issue, however, was the long part of the case was constantly hitting my helmet! On the first stop, I loosened the backpack straps, put the goggles and gloves on and could conveniently ride back home.

The Endomondo sports tracker service has gone belly up and will be discontinued soon. I'm looking for a way to transfer the Endomondo workout history to Strava. And I started using Strava. Since Strava has no weather data, I'll just tell you it was 8 C (46 F), it was cloudy, and the wind was rather mild; no raining. Back to the winter clothing regime!

View attachment 70194
I remember it being 46Ā°F here, but not now! It's forecast to be 78Ā°F today. Great riding weather, esp since the light breezes are blowing the wildfire smoke away from us!

I can afford it, friend šŸ˜Š
Almost 50 years ago my lady friend asked me to drive from Maryland to UpperVille (R2Rā€™s country) to pickup her 12 string Martin from the luthier. I walked out to my truck and she shouted at me ā€œthe car, ā€˜Martinā€™ is worth more than that truckā€
So I see you with your guitar slung over your shoulder like an AK and I get worried hence the name calling

Almost 50 years ago my lady friend asked me to drive from Maryland to UpperVille (R2Rā€™s country) to pickup her 12 string Martin from the luthier. I walked out to my truck and she shouted at me ā€œthe car, ā€˜Martinā€™ is worth more than that truckā€
So I see you with your guitar slung over your shoulder like an AK and I get worried hence the name calling
Not over the shoulder! It has backpack straps.
Not sure if the product above is exactly the same as mine but it is a guitar hard-case made from rigid EPS foam and the outer layer is Nylon, designed to be carried on your back. I didn't expect having a crash, no. People carry guitars in such cases while riding motorcycles :)

Besides, however nice my Ibanez is, it had its headstock already broken twice, and no, it's not a Martin :)

This is how the guitar looks like in a stock photo:
1604169619789.png

Where is your spare? Backpack? Maybe you could try this...or something like it.šŸ˜Ž
Yes it was in my backpack, I have a rear carrier with a trunk bag to hold it! I had to return the trunk bag because it arrived with a broken zip!

Catching up on some pictures from rides in late September and into October...

Back in late September and early October, the weather was really nice and I took advantage. As I went Hard Tail MTB with my Fathom, I've spent most of my time riding the large park just west of my home.

20200922_143517.jpg
20200922_143620.jpg
20201002_133152.jpg
20201002_133134.jpg

Here's some tracks with some trees that really stand out in the landscape - our Autumn foliage is typically more yellowish than reddish.

20201002_130107.jpg
20201002_131625.jpg

More colour, with downtown Calgary off in the distance. I live about 1 KM off to the left (east):

20201002_130851.jpg

Since I've started off with colour, here's a shot from mid October, from Vernon British Columbia.
I was just cycling around the neighborhood of an area that one of my long time friends moved to, that's just off the north end of Lake Okanagan.

20201013_143241.jpg
20201013_142708.jpg
20201013_142520.jpg

It was drizzling and cooler, but was still a great day for a short ride.

Our drive back to Calgary was snowy, and how I protected my bike was documented in this thread.

Back home, we had some dreary weather until the last few days. I finally got back out again yesterday and rode 27Kms of trails and pathways, When I started, it was about 3C, but I ended the ride at 13C.
As such, I bundled up and a good thing too - it was quite windy up on the hill. In the second shot you can see the wind off the eastern slopes of the Rockies.

20201030_114848.jpg
20201030_114822.jpg

On any protected eastern slopes and some of the northern ones, the conditions were tricky. This shot doesn't really show how steep this was, but my new dropper, courtesy of @Stefan Mikes was instrumental in me being able to navigate the slippery terrain. Saddle was down and one foot out to stabilize!

20201030_123041.jpg
Down.jpg

Finishing up my ride, now off of Nose Hill and following some green space along Nose Creek Parkway, I stopped for a hydration and snack. These rocks (Glacial Erratic) are near a former site of a Sandstone quarry and are known as "Split Rock" and were once part of Mount Edith Cavell, which is by Jasper Alberta (about 350 Kms away).

20201030_132233.jpg

All in all, a few excellent rides - some in pristine conditions, and some less so but enjoyable none the less!
The weather looks good for the next 5 days (+11 to +14C) and then we drop down to -9C on Friday. But, this is Calgary and that forecast is good for...well, actually nothing.
It absolutely will change and by the time any of you finish reading this post, it will have!

Next steps - document my new (to me) Dropper post installation (PNW Coast Suspension - imported from Poland šŸ˜€ ) and I suppose I should document how I've chosen how to layout my cockpit too.

I hope you've enjoyed my rambling on - I certainly enjoy reading about your rides! I just need to be a little more timely with my inputs...

My ride yesterday took me to Bitney Springs between Nevada City and Grass Valley. Bitney Springs offers 24/7 free flowing 'spring water' to the public free of charge. Cars can lined up 5 or 6 deep most times when I ride by but there was just one car so I stopped for a pic.

P1010523.jpg

The modern incarceration of the Springs has 3 free flowing water spigots that each flow at ~5 gpm, nearly 22,000 gallons per day. Some say the water is piped from the now filled-in Holbrook mine located upslope from the Springs. The water has been flowing freely here for over 100 years. Many locals get their drinking water here, though the green signs posted by the County Health Dept warn that the water is not tested. Some swear by its medicinal properties. This is a fun video re the Springs;

P1010519.jpg

The Springs were donated by the Bitney family for perpetual free public use. The access road is named after the Springs, Bitney Springs Road. As a (very) young man I would stop here in my '49 Ford pickup to fill the radiator after the climb up from a day at the river...šŸ¤£ There wasn't a cover over the Springs then...

P1010520.jpg

In the early 70's the Grass Valley Lions Club built the first cover for the Springs and installed 3 spigots with drainage for the overflow into the nearby creek.

P1010522.jpg

Nearly 50 years later the Springs were rebuilt as a local Eagle Scout project by Grass Valley's Troop 4. Troop 4 has been active since 1922 and chartered by the Grass Valley Lions Club since 1928. My sons are Eagle Scouts from Troop 4, as are my step brothers. The local paper covered the Rededication of the Springs in DEC 2018. My wife is in the group pic next to the lion mascot.

The longer I live here the more I think about a quote I would attribute to Garrison Keillor that said something like when living in a small town the town becomes a part of you and you a part of it.

Last edited:
My ride yesterday took me to Bitney Springs between Nevada City and Grass Valley. Bitney Springs offers 24/7 free flowing 'spring water' to the public free of charge. Cars can lined up 5 or 6 deep most times when I ride by but there waas just one car so I stopped for a pic.

View attachment 70265
The modern incarceration of the Springs has 3 free flowing water spigots that each flow at ~5 gpm, nearly 22,000 gallons per day. Some say the water is piped from the now filled-in Holbrook mine located upslope from the Springs. The water has been flowing freely here for over 100 years. Many locals get there drinking water here, though the green signs posted by the County Health Dept warn that the water is not tested. Some swear by its medicinal properties. This is a fun video re the Springs;

View attachment 70266
The Springs were donated by the Bitney family for perpetual free public use. The access road is named after the Springs, Bitney Springs Road. As a (very) young man I would stop here in my '49 Ford pickup to fill the radiator after the climb up from a day at the river...šŸ¤£ There wasn't a cover over the Springs then...

View attachment 70267
In the early 70's the Grass Valley Lions Club built the first cover for the Springs and installed 3 spigots with drainage for the overflow into the nearby creek.

View attachment 70268
Nearly 50 years later the Springs were rebuilt as a local Eagle Scout project by Grass Valley's Troop 4. Troop 4 has been active since 1922 and chartered by the Grass Valley Lions Club since 1928. My sons are Eagle Scouts from Troop 4, as are my step brothers. The local paper covered the Rededication of the Springs in DEC 2018. My wife is in the group pic next to the lion mascot.

The longer I live here the more I think about a quote I would attribute to Garrison Keillor that said something like when living in a small town the town becomes a part of you and you a part of it.
I fear for this sort of tradition ... when we lose this kind of society ... we will lose everything.

Fall is here.
DSC01422.jpg
DSC01422.jpg

I foolishly wore shorts but had a longjohn top and pullover on as it was 50 degrees at my house. I was going to gain a bit of elevation and even went by a small patch of snow in a cold area. I need 33 more miles and I will have met my goal of 2000 miles. The Gazelle is needing some love, I think. The brakes are squealing when being applied on the long downhills. Might need new pads. Today's ride was 24 miles and I needed a hot cup of tea when I got home, and some long pants. Ironically, when I pulled into my driveway, a box containing an "exercise bike" was setting on the front steps. I had ordered one for the snowy days that will be arriving soon.

Perfect weather for ducks and ebikes ā€¦

Hamilton Reach, Brisbane River

from Lores Bonney Riverwalk
A pastel green catamaran? Brave choice, but I think it worked out well.

Not the same ride as previous river photo (separated by five days).

Back