2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Perhaps this could be a follow up to Twin Valley's post as it appears that we were both beneficiaries of the warmer weather.

Yesterday was a good day to take the bike out on the road. It was a virtual balmy 10C although I could have done without the 40kph gusting westerlies. Most of the snow that fell over the last week has melted and temperatures appear to have stabilized to more seasonal norms. I cycled 57 km from my home in Red Deer to the northern townships of Blackfalds and Lacombe via the TransCanada Trail and returned the same way back home.

This footbridge is a nice stop along the way to view the Blindman River which meanders southeast through the countryside and eventually joins up with the Red Deer River.
IMG_20201027_1442190.jpg
IMG_20201027_1444392.jpg

Birds of a feather flock together. In this case, Canada Geese gather at this frozen pond along the trail.
IMG_20201027_1608291.jpg

Closer to Blackfalds sits the Wadey Home which was ordered through the Timothy Eaton catalogue by its original owner, George Wadey. It was built in 1916 at its original location 2km away then moved and restored on site at the corner of this park in 2015. It's now the home of the Blackfalds Historical Society.
IMG_20201027_1453285.jpg

Remnants of the last snowfall dot parts of the trail. Can't go blazing down here like I normally do. 😉
IMG_20201027_1513599.jpg

Another footbridge. This one runs alongside Lacombe Lake.
IMG_20201027_1515330.jpg

View of the prairie landscape as seen from a hill just outside of Lacombe. The TC Trail isn't frequented much during the shoulder seasons and today was no exception as it was virtually deserted during the entire ride there.
IMG_20201027_1523024.jpg

This rail crossing is one of three that bisect the route. My progress has only been halted twice on previous rides including this brief stop.
IMG_20201027_1529108.jpg

IMG_20201027_1529156.jpg

Love Boulder used to live on Pine street and work at Pedro Verdes Mexican restaurant on Pearl street in college. Good times. There used to be a world class bike race through town if I remember correctly...

Weather on and off, strangely rained on while sat on a beach in complete blue skies, cloud the size of a small dog sneaked up on us.
We are staying in a house thats actually smaller than a beachut, but its fantastic with a beautiful widescreen view over the bay.

The beach looks very moody today and as I mentioned in the last post it was used as training for the American landings at Normandy because of the similarities to the French beaches, but the German eboats turned up and sent 750 men to their deaths and seeing it now can in no way concentrate the mind to the loss and horror of that day, it was kept a secret till after the war.
I cant even begin to context it in my mind, to drown on a foreign beach, so far from your loved ones without even seeing a day of actual combat.
Men who didnt even really have a hand in this conflict
Ive been watching the tourists read the plaques, reading their faces as the enormity of it dawns on them.
Just..really..never again.

Sorry to be so morose.
It was just a blip I suppose in the carnage of war.
My future father landed at Pointe Du Hoc on D-day...😔

Slapton Sands weighed heavily on OverLord planners. They were worried that if a few German E Boats (irony intended) could cause such losses what would the sluggish, confined Normandy fleet suffer. Anthony Beevor explores this in his ‘D-Day’ as well as other histories.

Remember to bring my Medjool dates, Dave?

View attachment 69912 Humpty and Friends : Wanora, QLD
Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
It was early enough for the mist to be lingering amongst the trees and dew-laden webs to be caught in the grass… an appropriate time to cadge snacks from the first rail trail user of the day?

The termite mound (right foreground) was decapitated by fencing contractors last month. Watch out snipped-off ends of barbed wire when you ride anywhere near a new fence!
Another nominee for the EBR photo of the year! ;)

1603941210621.png

I'
A few years ago I read a book, Slapton Sands by Francis Cottam, which was about this extraordinary period (immediately before I was born) spent preparing for the D-Day invasions (immediately after I was born). Eisenhower and his top commanders spent the short interval between Ready! and Invade! poring over tide tables and weather forecasts; my mother used the lull to bring me into the world! At that time my father, from Ashton-under-Lyne in Lancashire, was somewhere in Africa servicing Sunderland and Catalina flying boats.

So much went on behind the fighting. You've brought it all back and I've moved Slapton Sands onto the 'read next' list on my Kindle app. Thanks.
ll look that up, struggling here with potato speed internet, I'll have to post when I get home.

No wind today …

Nudgee Beach Wetlands, Brisbane

Moreton Bay Cycleway
Nudgee Beach Wetlands
2020-10-29
Overnight there had been torrential rain along the coast and this morning I was a bit hesitant to head that way. It's just as well I did go: no rain and no wind. Of course, there was plenty of water around!

Two weeks ago I took the following photo at the same spot, looking straight down at the cracked mud with the wading birds' footprints inviting fossilisation. All changed!

Nudgee Beach Wetlands

Nudgee Beach Wetlands
2020-10-16

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardly go anywhere for got pic lately or hate to stop for pics. when it is cold out. got another pic of mount hood this evening. also I liked how the sunset was showing through the tree with the contrail too.
View attachment 69966View attachment 69967
I miss the PNW, especially now that I have an ebike I can go longer distances on.
Climbed Mt. Hood back in the early ‘80s and camped 500‘ from the peak. That night we got hit with 80mph winds which broke/blew away a number of our tents, backpacks and nobody got any sleep. Sadly, we were turned away from finishing the climb.

I miss the PNW, especially now that I have an ebike I can go longer distances on.
Climbed Mt. Hood back in the early ‘80s and camped 500‘ from the peak. That night we got hit with 80mph winds which broke/blew away a number of our tents, backpacks and nobody got any sleep. Sadly, we were turned away from finishing the climb.
we want to ride to it but it would be a two day trip. it always looks so close.

Roadrunner Once

Everybody must have their own "song of the road". Here's mine:

Just replace the word "drove" with "rode" and we're having it! :)
If there's one song I always love riding to, it would be Love and Rockets "Yin and Yang (The Flowerpot Man)".

Other than that, it's a real mixed bag of mixes from just about any genre - swamp rock to hip hop, post-punk/new wave to jazz to 50's rock n roll (Buddy Holly), depending on the kind of ride, or mood, I'm in. A good post-punk/industrial mix with band like Ministry, KMFDM, and Killing Joke will always get you moving. :D

Last edited:
Can you ever have too much water?

Redcliffe Peninula Water Reservoir

Redcliffe Peninsula
There were no birds in the real wetlands yesterday so I had to content myself with their friends on the hill, not that the highest point on the peninsula really deserves that title.

Taking our humans for a walk …

Scarborough, Redcliffe Peninsula

Scarborough, Moreton Bay
8.35 am; 45 km of 80 km ride
The Moreton Bay Cycleway is just visible on the extreme left. It runs behind the Norfolk Island pines and around the 'top' of the Redcliffe Peninsula before hugging mangrove-lined Deception Bay and, eventually, depositing cyclists on Bribie Island on the horizon to the right. I was headed that way for barely another 15 km before heading inland (past the water tank, 60 km) and along the Redcliffe Peninsula Rail Trail.

Those apartment blocks weren't there a few years ago. Presumably, their presence has something to do with the enormous increase in human population, starting with the Baby Boomer years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back