2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Back on topic... heading up to Lake Tahoe again this weekend. ;)

IMG_4965.jpg

Last edited:
How to train a hedge …

Loco Hedge, North Ipswich

North Ipswich
It's been raining for the last few days so, with a forecast of a few hours of morning sunshine, I rode locally. Usually my 'local' rides take me up the rail trail (muddy yesterday; therefore muddier today) or the local gravel roads. Instead I headed into Ipswich and explore the suburbs.

The owners of this house clearly wanted a bit of privacy or, perhaps, didn't know what to do with an overgrown hedge. Good for them! The old railway workshops are a few hundred metres away and this 'worker's cottage' would have been built in the first years of the twentieth century. Presumably, the nearby rail museum inspired the hedge!

2020-10-27-062815-2400-w1g6b1.jpg

2020-10-27-map.jpg

Weather on and off, strangely rained on while sat on a beach in complete blue skies, cloud the size of a small dog sneaked up on us.
We are staying in a house thats actually smaller than a beachut, but its fantastic with a beautiful widescreen view over the bay.

The beach looks very moody today and as I mentioned in the last post it was used as training for the American landings at Normandy because of the similarities to the French beaches, but the German eboats turned up and sent 750 men to their deaths and seeing it now can in no way concentrate the mind to the loss and horror of that day, it was kept a secret till after the war.
I cant even begin to context it in my mind, to drown on a foreign beach, so far from your loved ones without even seeing a day of actual combat.
Men who didnt even really have a hand in this conflict
Ive been watching the tourists read the plaques, reading their faces as the enormity of it dawns on them.
Just..really..never again.

Sorry to be so morose.
It was just a blip I suppose in the carnage of war.
20201029_093913.jpg

Last edited:
It was just a blip I suppose in the carnage of war.
A few years ago I read a book, Slapton Sands by Francis Cottam, which was about this extraordinary period (immediately before I was born) spent preparing for the D-Day invasions (immediately after I was born). Eisenhower and his top commanders spent the short interval between Ready! and Invade! poring over tide tables and weather forecasts; my mother used the lull to bring me into the world! At that time my father, from Ashton-under-Lyne in Lancashire, was somewhere in Africa servicing Sunderland and Catalina flying boats.

So much went on behind the fighting. You've brought it all back and I've moved Slapton Sands onto the 'read next' list on my Kindle app. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
County Office Morning Ride

Turbo Vado is primarily a commuter e-bike (like it or not). I had to pay a visit to the County Office this morning to retrieve my homestead ownership title from the archive. I was tempted to ride with my Trance E+ but taking into account I had an appointment at 8:05 a.m., I wanted to be in the county capital city fast and well before the scheduled time. A Turbo mode ride took me just 15 minutes, and I didn't need to worry where to park my vehicle... Another argument for replacing the car with e-bike!

Pruszkow County Office_.jpg

At the Pruszków County Office, 7:50 a.m. It is where I registered my Vado eleven months ago. Now, in the covid era, you manage most of official matters online or by phone. If a physical document is required fast, you get an appointment with a clerk. You are called by name. Then you need to get your body temperature measured, and you have to disinfect your hands at the gate. Communication with the clerk is not easy, as they mumble quietly through their face-masks and protection screens. Anyway, I have been able to get my title, and sped up back to my home office, again in Turbo mode. Yes, Vado is a nice recreational e-bike, yet it really shines on commutes.

1603874616147.png

Fast, pleasant ride on sunny yet foggy morning.

Ah. I hadn't taken my U-lock with me, so I had to leave my Vado unprotected in the front of the office for half an hour. Not stolen. Pruszków is neither NYC nor London. It is not Warsaw, either. I guess a potential thief would think twice before he stole a registered vehicle :) I need to be taking the U-lock with me anyway, just not to create an occasion...

Last edited:
EX2_Loudoun_1725_Gravel_Grinder_Highlights-9-X2_copy_640x427.jpg

The photos of the organized ride are online, and thus I was scrolling through them looking at the faces of the riders enroute on their 80 or 60 or 40 mile gravel road adventure.

There was a series of three photos that caught my eye. Three photos that followed in progression - three riders coming up on the photographer with joyful grins and expressions of sheer unabashed kid-like glee in the face of craptastic weather conditions - all because they got to ride their bikes together in a beautiful autumn inspired countryside. A trailing photo, this one a few moments later, a closeup of the rider that had been a colorful blob, a singularity blur in the distant background behind the first three in the first photo. In the closeup his face a study in focused effort.

And then there was this final photo in the 3 part series. The one posted above. A scene that is one I'd never see when I'm on my bike, but can do so now. It speaks volumes, so much more than any other photo in the online album. Maybe because I know this dog. I know the road, the trees, the stone wall. I know the perennial roughness of this one stretch, the house hidden by the foliage to the right, a house that was once loved, then saw an unseemly death (was it murder, the poorer underprivileged members of the neighborhood whispered among themselves as they began to avoid the area, especially after dark), then became haunted, then abandoned for many years before new owners unceremoniously chased out the ghosts and rehabbed the old house into something new.

That rehab included two dogs. Two dogs that feel the road is exclusive to them and are vocally determined to let any walker or biker know that intrusions to their domain will not go unnoticed. One of the dogs is especially vigilant, and will not let a bike go by without a challenge. I can usually outpace his determined sprint down his driveway that parallels the stone wall. By the time he exits the driveway, I am usually far enough down the road that his efforts conclude with just a huffy raised voice holler for me to keep up my retreat and not to let him see me again or there will be consequences.

I usually laughed at his fruitless attempts...until one day when I didn't. That one day when he was extra vigilant and saw me coming way in advance. He put on extra speed to meet me at the end of his driveway and stand in the road, a challenge that dared me to pass.

Unfortunately, he hadn't take into account exactly who he had challenged.

I stopped my bike a ways back, casually put down the kickstand, walked over to the side of the road to select a couple of larger gravel rocks that the traffic had kicked to the side as being too big to grind under their tires into the bedrock of the road, hefted the rocks to feel their weight and ability for a dead accurate flight, and then faced my canine challenger. He had remained standing in the middle of the road, watching me, his bark now silent, his eyes wary as to why I hadn't rushed past. His confusion turned to a wide eyeed alarm as I made a sudden rushing run straight at him, roaring my fury at his bold attempt to intimidate me as I let the first rock fly, landing at his feet as a opening volley warning of the battery of rocks that were to come. For him, all hell had broken loose. He was facing an opponent who had decades of foxhunting hound control on her resume, and some inconsequential cur was no match for my aim or my ire.

Those paws went into instant retreat, and the last I saw of him was his tucked tail scuttling back up his driveway before he risked a pause and a turn to see if this armed madwoman was still in hot pursuit. We stood, combatants on the field, me now in possession of the road while he stood hesitant and silent, his body poised for a second rapid retreat if I advanced the field of battle up his driveway.

But he owned the land he was standing on, so I made it abundantly clear across the demiliterized zone with my voice as to what I'd do to him should he ever challenge my rights to this road again. I dropped the rest of the rocks from my hand at the edge of his driveway, a flagrant distinct future warning. I wanted him to know my scent and my voice, and that my threat was real. I figured he was smart enough to connect the dots and henceforth to think twice about challenging me and my bike again.

He was, and to this day has never set foot on the road again before I pass. He still races along the stone wall between his property and the road and will sometimes come out after I have passed to watch me disappear down the road, but the lesson learned about the downfalls of challenging my rights to pass was learned well. He has never done so again.

Hence, this photo being one that I would never see from this angle in real life. Amusing to finally see it from his point of view.

All credit to the amazing photographer Bruce Buckley who has graciously allowed his brilliant work to be shown online.

Last edited:
I trust that is not an ebike!🤭
What's the problem? I rode not once on the Trance E+ and on the Vado through water as deep as to cover the motor. I was riding in torrential rain. Put some faith in the engineers who designed our premium e-bikes! 😊

What's the problem? I rode not once on the Trance E+ and on the Vado through water as deep as to cover the motor. I was riding in torrential rain. Put some faith in the engineers who designed our premium e-bikes! 😊
Is it or isn’t it an ebike was my question.
I expect it to be good in rain. But that’s more than just covering the motor. Thats 2‘ over the motor across a significant distance.

@Readytoride I loved your story about the dog, remind me not to get on your bad side! 🤣 The photos really are incredible, atrocious conditions but the riders didn't care! I have been through some deep water in my days but that was crazy!😮

I finally caught a break with the weather and I was determined to hit 50 miles today, the wind tried its best to stop me but I was pretty determined! When I set off I was using the new ride control app for the first time, at first I thought it had removed the 15.5mph cutoff but then I realised I had a 30mph tailwind behind me!🤣

That wind (and almost 4000ft of climbing) tried to kill my battery on the way back, ironically my new battery was due to arrive today, I really could have done with it 12 miles from home as I was now down to 23%! So I decided to switch off the assist to make sure I had some battery left for the hills at the end of my ride! I managed 10 miles into a gusty 30mph headwind, it sure helps having a 34/32 gear ratio! ;) Who says e bikes don't give you a proper workout?:p The new battery arrived a short time ago so it should give me peace of mind on my longer rides, I also have a new rear rack which will carry the battery nicely!:)

The last 2 miles I switched the assist back on to make sure I hit my 50 mile target! I finished with 17% left, usually when I go below 20% the battery drops like a stone...not today for some reason (possibly due to charging the battery to the full 100% recently) It was so good to get back out on the bike today and the real bonus was I got home dry for a change! Tomorrow the rains will return with a vengeance but Friday is looking ok and then the weekend is going to be a stormy one...:eek:

1603902598697.png

Attachments

• elevation_profile218.jpg
    elevation_profile218.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 219
  • trip-58270339-map-full131.png
    trip-58270339-map-full131.png
    406.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 20201028_093121.jpg
    20201028_093121.jpg
    815.8 KB · Views: 227
  • 20201028_093141.jpg
    20201028_093141.jpg
    931.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 20201028_094121.jpg
    20201028_094121.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 20201028_094151.jpg
    20201028_094151.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 20201028_094154.jpg
    20201028_094154.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 211
  • 20201028_094156.jpg
    20201028_094156.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 20201028_094204.jpg
    20201028_094204.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 210
  • 20201028_094217.jpg
    20201028_094217.jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 20201028_100119.jpg
    20201028_100119.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 20201028_100126.jpg
    20201028_100126.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 225
  • 20201028_100135.jpg
    20201028_100135.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 206
@Readytoride I loved your story about the dog, remind me not to get on your bad side! 🤣 The photos really are incredible, atrocious conditions but the riders didn't care! I have been through some deep water in my days but that was crazy!😮

I finally caught a break with the weather and I was determined to hit 50 miles today, the wind tried its best to stop me but I was pretty determined! When I set off I was using the new ride control app for the first time, at first I thought it had removed the 15.5mph cutoff but then I realised I had a 30mph tailwind behind me!🤣

That wind (and almost 4000ft of climbing) tried to kill my battery on the way back, ironically my new battery was due to arrive today, I really could have done with it 12 miles from home as I was now down to 23%! So I decided to switch off the assist to make sure I had some battery left for the hills at the end of my ride! I managed 10 miles into a gusty 30mph headwind, it sure helps having a 34/32 gear ratio! ;) Who says e bikes don't give you a proper workout?:p The new battery arrived a short time ago so it should give me peace of mind on my longer rides, I also have a new rear rack which will carry the battery nicely!:)

The last 2 miles I switched the assist back on to make sure I hit my 50 mile target! I finished with 17% left, usually when I go below 20% the battery drops like a stone...not today for some reason (possibly due to charging the battery to the full 100% recently) It was so good to get back out on the bike today and the real bonus was I got home dry for a change! Tomorrow the rains will return with a vengeance but Friday is looking ok and then the weekend is going to be a stormy one...:eek:

View attachment 69891

London area?

Remember to bring my Medjool dates, Dave?

Wanora, Queensland, Australia

Humpty and Friends : Wanora, QLD
Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
It was early enough for the mist to be lingering amongst the trees and dew-laden webs to be caught in the grass… an appropriate time to cadge snacks from the first rail trail user of the day?

The termite mound (right foreground) was decapitated by fencing contractors last month. Watch out snipped-off ends of barbed wire when you ride anywhere near a new fence!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it or isn’t it an ebike was my question.
I expect it to be good in rain. But that’s more than just covering the motor. Thats 2‘ over the motor across a significant distance.
It was not an e-bike. Even if it were, e-bike motors are of totally-enclosed construction, especially the mid-drive ones.

I trust that is not an ebike!🤭
No. LOL! I'd say 99.9% of the bikes on this ride were just regular mountain and gravel road bikes.

This rider actually went right into the hole (flood created depression) in the middle of the creek. Why, heaven only knows. Maybe for the once-in-a-lifetime photo op? Maybe to clean his bike and chain (he was pretty filthy, come to think of it, and at this point he'd only hit 37 miles out of the 60 or 80 he was doing)? Or just maybe he couldn't see the creek bottom because it was muddy from rain runoff (or other bikes riding through to churn up the silt into the flowing water) and had no idea that a mere 12' to his right was an barely submerged swale that had water flowing over it at just a few inches. Maybe 5 inches at the most. Enough to get the pedals and perhaps an inch of shoe wet, but that's it. That's my preferred route through this creek.

There is no way I would EVER go through a creek this deep unless I was on fire.

But ya gotta admit - it is a keeper of a shot!!!

Screenshot_20201028_144836.jpg

It is always difficult to follow one of David's inspiring photos although his latest definitely has some spooky Halloween qualities. Today's ride followed literally thousands of Canadian geese cleaning up the stubble fields and making such a racket. Perhaps they were arguing about when to head south - last week temps of minus 19 C or today's temp of plus ten must be confusing for them (and me). The following picture attempts to capture a number of geese on the ground that didn't see or hear me slogging through the mud - usually they head for the heavens before I can dig my phone out to snap a shot.
20201028_112622.jpg

It is always difficult to follow one of David's inspiring photos although his latest definitely has some spooky Halloween qualities. Today's ride followed literally thousands of Canadian geese cleaning up the stubble fields and making such a racket. Perhaps they were arguing about when to head south - last week temps of minus 19 C or today's temp of plus ten must be confusing for them (and me). The following picture attempts to capture a number of geese on the ground that didn't see or hear me slogging through the mud - usually they head for the heavens before I can dig my phone out to snap a shot.View attachment 69927
That's actually a cool shot. SRAM should buy it from you. :D

Back