2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Ha! Although heavy winters is not what we've experienced in past years (since 2014), there have been winters when my access alley was full of snow and ice, making it hard to drive the car out. Honestly, I was not aware of snowblower existence until now :) I don't want to derail the David's thread but I feel I must show a single picture...

1603519566096.png

Easter, March 31st, 2013.

Ha! Although heavy winters is not what we've experienced in past years (since 2014), there have been winters when my access alley was full of snow and ice, making it hard to drive the car out. Honestly, I was not aware of snowblower existence until now :) I don't want to derail the David's thread but I feel I must show a single picture...

View attachment 69552
Easter, March 31st, 2013.
Coming soon to us, as soon as our wildfires are out!

Put up 9 chords of firewood last weekend, with much help from my sons, for next winter. This year's wood is dry and ready to burn.

Coming soon to us, as soon as our wildfires are out!

Put up 9 chords of firewood last weekend, with much help from my sons, for next winter. This year's wood is dry and ready to burn.
Nine cords of firewood would last me 3 or 4 years, and once I light the wood stove, I run it 24/7 for months. It must get really cold there.🥶

Nine cords of firewood would last me 3 or 4 years, and once I light the wood stove, I run it 24/7 for months. It must get really cold there.🥶
Much of the new firewood is oak so it will last us maybe 3 years compared to 2 seasons for the softwood that's more commonly available here. It'll take 2 seasons to cure the fresh oak however...🙄 Our temps are returning to normal finally. Teens in the high mountains this AM, low 40's here. Got the fire going with morning coffee!

Much of the new firewood is oak so it will last us maybe 3 years compared to 2 seasons for the softwood that's more commonly available here. It'll take 2 seasons to cure the fresh oak however...🙄 Our temps are returning to normal finally. Teens in the high mountains this AM, low 40's here. Got the fire going with morning coffee!
Forgot you western folks burn softwoods. Mostly red oak, maple, hickory and such here, and it takes 2 or 3 seasons to cure.

G'day, mate. Mind opening the gate?

Eastern Grey Kangaroo : Wanora, Queensland

Wanora, Brisbane Valley
5.50 am; 8 km
Eastern grey kangaroo (Macropus giganteus) next to the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail.

Lower photo of 'Torn Ear' taken five seconds before upper (zero — full speed — zero quicker than a Tesla)…

Brisbane Valley Rail Trail, Wanora

Last edited by a moderator:
I took advantage of a fine day (75 F) for a pleasant ride made all the better knowing tomorrow's inclement forecast. Cruising along ten miles in I stopped to to take a picture of this barn sign. While there a man on a small Schwinn rode up. I assured him I was just taking a picture and he made some comment that he needed a bigger bike now that he was retired. He told me to follow him across a field to his house where he wanted to show me his retirement present to himself. 1965 Fordomatic. I'm no car guy but I was impressed and told him so.
1603584681122.jpeg
1603584736188.jpeg

1603584783782.jpeg

Here are pictures Category 1 and Category 3 Llamas
1603585022488.jpeg

1603585123657.jpeg

Brisbane Central from across the river …
View attachment 43688

As predicted, Monday's outing was 'just another ride', from the western suburbs to the Brisbane River cycleways which took me through the city and down to the bay for lunch. There are cycling tracks on either side of the river. Mangroves are, of course, conspicuous.

View attachment 43689

The detail above has been cropped out of the top photo. You should be able to see the left bank cycleway which is built over the river and beyond it Brisbane's grandest commercial building of times past, the Customs House, three storeys high and topped with a copper dome (now green).
My wife and I were in Australia in '06. Stayed with friends in a small development a few miles north of Brisbane, and spent several days sightseeing in the city and taking excursions out to various parks and reserves. Then rented a car, and headed north, first to Airlie Beach, from whence kayaked out to the Whitsunday Is. for a few days. On north into the Daintree, where we got to see major rain (Brisbane meanwhile being in drought). Then up to the highlands, and to the park where there are big lava-tube caves. (can't remember name). Watched a kookaburra try to steal the pancake a guy was cooking for himself in the community kitchen shelter. This was mostly car camping, except when we stayed in "backpackers" lodgings in places like Cairns (my theory about pronunciation: we hear "Cans" but I'm convinced the Ausies think they're pronouncing that "r").Between the 2 of us, managed to lock the keys in the little Toyota rental, finally had to bust out the wing window. Thankfully, I had bought the full-ride insurance.
We found the animals (of course) and vegetation fascinating--especially the huge strangler figs. Saw the "Cathedral" Fig and another enormous one. I got used to driving on the left side but never mastered shifting with my left hand (auto agency was out of automatics). I ground the teeth down pretty well in that little Toyota's transmission.
We loved Australia, and would like to return to explore further south, and then on to Western Australia. One more thing: I think Brisbane is one of the most beautiful cities I have seen.

A welcome improvement …
View attachment 47917

Clarendon Station Road, Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
Even the gravel riders can't complain about this improvement to the rail trail. Cattle grids… at last!

Just imagine what it was like in past… stop, prop the bike up, figure out how to unchain the gate, open the gate, stop the gate from banging closed, wheel the bike through, prop it up again, close the gate, chain it up!

There are were seven gates to be dealt with in twice as many minutes. Not fun… and the same number encountered on way back. Thank you, dear council and let the good work continue after the local government elections this coming weekend.

Click to see how it used to be.

Trivia: Note the black kites swarming above the cattle yard on the left. Hoping to catch mice feeding on spilt grain?
Some years ago, a local politician in the state legislature questioned a line item in the budget. "Why are we paying for cattle guards?" he wondered.

@Stefan Mikes what determines the difference between a city and a village in Poland?
A location that has integrated urban structure, no farms within its clearly defined boundaries, fully developed utility system (water, sewage, electricity, gas network), and a development plan might be qualified by the Government to receive a status of a city in Poland. (The population criterion of 2,000 is not taken into account anymore).

Jacek the Mechanic

The chain of my Vado had started slipping on two smallest cogs of the cassette after chain replacement. An EBR Forum member from a great European country was so kind as to send me replacement cogs, so I wouldn't need to replace the entire cassette (hear, hear!) Currently, there is spare-part drought in the market... I was able to ride out too see my brother Jacek at 9:40 a.m. on Saturday. The weather was so-so (initially, it was some 14 C and dreary). I knew Jacek had some plans for the day, so I had to ride rather fast. After riding some 12 km, I just went into the Turbo mode... (I could afford it, having taken a spare battery with me). I rode up Jacek's location quite fast!

1603598747970.png

The other brother Piotr works for a road-sign manufacturer. This is a road-sign for tanks. As there is a significant presence of NATO/U.S. forces in Poland nowadays, such road-signs have become necessary.

Jacek The Mechanic (S) (1 of 6).jpg

Jacek started the work with disassembling the Shimano SLX CS-M7000 (11-46T) cassette and washing it in white spirit.

Jacek The Mechanic (S) (2 of 6).jpg

Reassembling the cassette...

Jacek The Mechanic (S) (3 of 6).jpg

Almost finished. The two top cogs are the new ones.

Jacek The Mechanic (S) (4 of 6).jpg

The front fender started rattling again... Fixed!

Jacek The Mechanic (S) (5 of 6).jpg

Per advice of @Sierratim, the contacts of both batteries and the one inside the Vado have been cleaned and greased.

Jacek The Mechanic (S) (6 of 6).jpg

-- "Brother! There is no front brake in the Vado for you anymore! The brake pads are completely worn!" Jacek had transferred good brake pads from the rear to the front brake, and made a temporary fix for the rear one. No TRP Q20.11 brake pads available throughout Europe by Christmas!

Had I known how much of maintenance is necessary for heavily ridden e-bikes, I wouldn't have bought three of them... (No N+1 e-bike anymore!) After several hours spent with Jacek, I set off for the next part of the ride, to the Wawrzyszew Cemetery.

Poland celebrates our loved deceased ones on November 1st (All Saints Day) and the 2nd (The Souls' Day). The holiday means we visit the family graves to put flowers, light candles and pray for the souls. This year, November 1st is on Sunday. It would be crazy to visit cemeteries on these days in the covid-year. Visiting the cemetery on last Saturday meant no crowds.

1603600474651.png

Our family grave in my home neighbourhood of Wawrzyszew. My beloved Wife, Mom & Dad, and Uncle Stefan (d. 1937) are buried there.

Afterwards, I made a long ride through streets of Warsaw. I took the full benefit of the Vado being "a moped" and was riding with traffic only (no bike paths). There was sunshine, pleasant temperature up to 18 C and very mild wind, so it was a very nice ride! I admit I took all the benefits of riding with the spare battery (50/50 or 70/70 Sport modes). I was tired at the end of the ride though.

1603601682145.png

A 37 km ride to Jacek took me 1 h 18 minutes (approximately what I would have spent by driving the car but the e-bike let me avoid numerous traffic jams!) Only now I realise what we call Cracow Avenue is an almost straight road!

Today, the time was changed to the winter one again. I could have slept longer but woke up at night...

Last edited:
A location that has integrated urban structure, no farms within its clearly defined boundaries, fully developed utility system (water, sewage, electricity, gas network), and a development plan might be qualified by the Government to receive a status of a city in Poland. (The population criterion of 2,000 is not taken into account anymore).

Jacek the Mechanic

The chain of my Vado had started slipping on two smallest cogs of the cassette after chain replacement. An EBR Forum member from a great European country was so kind as to send me replacement cogs, so I wouldn't need to replace the entire cassette (hear, hear!) Currently, there is spare-part drought in the market...

View attachment 69624
-- "Brother! There is no front brake in the Vado for you anymore! The brake pads are completely worn!" Jacek had transferred good brake pads from the rear to the front brake, and made a temporary fix for the rear one. No TRP Q20.11 brake pads available throughout Europe by Christmas!
there’s pads in the U.K.

Thank you @percymon so much!

P.S. Westbrook Cycles had a single set, and tried to charge some 39 quids for shipment :) I found N&T replacement (compatible) pads at Ebay.co.uk (ordered), and @TS25 was so kind to find a German online store that carries the original pads, too.

Thank you all! (What would I do without you, Forum friends?!)

Last edited:

Jacek the Mechanic

The chain of my Vado had started slipping on two smallest cogs of the cassette after chain replacement. An EBR Forum member from a great European country was so kind as to send me replacement cogs, so I wouldn't need to replace the entire cassette (hear, hear!) Currently, there is spare-part drought in the market... I was able to ride out too see my brother Jacek at 9:40 a.m. on Saturday. The weather was so-so (initially, it was some 14 C and dreary). I knew Jacek had some plans for the day, so I had to ride rather fast. After riding some 12 km, I just went into the Turbo mode... (I could afford it, having taken a spare battery with me). I rode up Jacek's location quite fast!

View attachment 69618
The other brother Piotr works for a road-sign manufacturer. This is a road-sign for tanks. As there is a significant presence of NATO/U.S. forces in Poland nowadays, such road-signs have become necessary.

View attachment 69619
Jacek started the work with disassembling the Shimano SLX CS-M7000 (11-46T) cassette and washing it in white spirit.

View attachment 69620
Reassembling the cassette...

View attachment 69621
Almost finished. The two top cogs are the new ones.

View attachment 69622
The front fender started rattling again... Fixed!

View attachment 69623
Per advice of @Sierratim, the contacts of both batteries and the one inside the Vado have been cleaned and greased.

View attachment 69624

Had I known how much of maintenance is necessary for heavily ridden e-bikes, I wouldn't have bought three of them... (No N+1 e-bike anymore!) After several hours spent with Jacek, I set off for the next part of the ride, to the Wawrzyszew Cemetery.

Poland celebrates our loved deceased ones on November 1st (All Saints Day) and the 2nd (The Souls' Day). The holiday means we visit the family graves to put flowers, light candles and pray for the souls. This year, November 1st is on Sunday. It would be crazy to visit cemeteries on these days in the covid-year. Visiting the cemetery on last Saturday meant no crowds.

View attachment 69626
Our family grave in my home neighbourhood of Wawrzyszew. My beloved Wife, Mom & Dad, and Uncle Stefan (d. 1937) are buried there.

Afterwards, I made a long ride through streets of Warsaw. I took the full benefit of the Vado being "a moped" and was riding with traffic only (no bike paths). There was sunshine, pleasant temperature up to 18 C and very mild wind, so it was a very nice ride! I admit I took all the benefits of riding with the spare battery (50/50 or 70/70 Sport modes). I was tired at the end of the ride though.

View attachment 69627
A 37 km ride to Jacek took me 1 h 18 minutes (approximately what I would have spent by driving the car but the e-bike let me avoid numerous traffic jams!) Only now I realise what we call Cracow Avenue is an almost straight road!

Today, the time was changed to the winter one again. I could have slept longer but woke up at night...
Stefan, a very interesting post!

We need to get you a pair of handlebar jack stands for your repair work... your brother will thank you! ;)

1603644968287.png

1603644834242.png

Maintaining a safe distance …

Cattle & Camels : Wanora, Queensland

Wanora, Queensland
I'm not quite as brave as this photo suggests; there are multiple strands of barbed wire immediately in front of my ebike. I didn't trust the black one on the left!

This ride was between torrential rain showers. In a day or two, the fields should be green again. The farmers, and we gardeners, live in hope.

I suspect that one or two members of this herd might be interlopers!

Those with eagle eyes might also notice that my Homage is, once again, held together with velcro straps around the down tube. Despite its outstanding design concept, this is one seriously flawed ebike! Let's hope that the 2021 Homages won't shake themselves apart on rough tracks.

Back