2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
I had a situation in the Table Mountains 😇 Mistakenly took a hiking-only trail... Survived. More pics on Monday.
IMG_20200725_132113-01.jpeg

Well done! that looks like a proper expert level trail... can't wait to hear the full story. 😉
I promised to myself to ride gravel roads only since 🤣

IMG_20200725_141520-01.jpeg

After having emerged from the wilderness. I had to walk Monster through primeval forest and carry it over large fallen tree trunks, cross country style, to make a detour of impassable rocks.

IMG_20200725_165110-01.jpeg

Happy at the farthest route point, Pasterka (Shepherdess) in the Polish-Czech frontier area. The youth behind my back were Czech.

P.S. Now sitting in Zamek Sarny (Schloß Scharfeneck), a post-German castle over a cup of excellent coffee.

Last edited:
Went to film the canal and point out some interesting bits, only to find the bit outside Liverpool in the rather dodgy areas was living up to its name with packs of hooded teens on bikes roaming around.
Didnt fancy cruising past on a narrow path with no escape while holding an expensive camera.
Either mugged or beaten up for being some undercover cop.
All in black with full face masks or balaclavas...whats the world coming to and all.
So rode out to lovely Lancashire, it was meant to be all about the history but has turned out to be basically peeking in peoples back gardens.
The scenery ranges from tatty to suburban clutter to pretty well gloriously magical
If you like to have a nose at the creations of people whos gardens end at canals then this is for you and you aint human if you dont think about living there and how you would set up your canalside deck.
For context the entire bit I'm on was built before the war of independence including most of the bridges.
I didnt get a chance to call in at one of my locals near the canal, which is 700 years old because I ended up in a road rage with a bike hating motorist and decided to get back by the water to cool down.
Anyway all nice and chilled and next vid will be more historical I promise

Went to film the canal and point out some interesting bits, only to find the bit outside Liverpool in the rather dodgy areas was living up to its name with packs of hooded teens on bikes roaming around.
Didnt fancy cruising past on a narrow path with no escape while holding an expensive camera.
All in black with full face masks or balaclavas...whats the world coming to and all.
So rode out to lovely Lancashire, it was meant to be all about the history but has turned out to be basically peeking in peoples back gardens.
The scenery ranges from tatty to suburban clutter to pretty well gloriously magical
If you like to have a nose at the creations of people whos gardens end at canals then this is for you and you aint human if you dont think about living there and how you would set up your canalside deck.
For context the entire bit I'm on was built before the war of independence including most of the bridges.
I didnt get a chance to call in at one of my locals near the canal, which is 700 years old because I ended up in a road rage with a bike hating motorist and decided to get back by the water to cool down.
Great post thanks! How is the cam mounted and aimed?

The Great Owl Mt Conquered!

A friend, Romek, who by chance is a local made me favour of route-planning. The objectives were:
  • No technical trails
  • The battery should last
  • Steep climbing welcomed
  • Easy descents
  • It had to be a loop.
Romek who still is in his 20s, and is a fan of off-road driving (he owns several vintage cars including a Land Rover and Subaru Impreza, the racing model) is also a realist. His route is short, steep very pleasant and very good for an inexperienced rider on an e-MTB.

It took me just 46 minutes riding to get to the summit of the Owl. All the 11 km outward route meant serious climbing. 52% of the 500 Wh battery left. After climbing the vista tower and taking some photos, it will mostly be descending.

IMG_20200726_105625-01.jpeg

I was here in 1982 and 2004 (if I can remember correctly), the latter was a hike on my birthday.

Last edited:
Today's forecast wasn't looking very promising but when I woke it was still dry so I decided to take a chance as I don't mind getting wet once I'm warmed up! I set off just before 8am with overcast skies with a rough idea of where I was going but keeping an eye on the rain clouds and getting ready to alter my route if the need arose!

Almost 22 miles in and the rain clouds were gathering as I reached the turning point, I stopped for a snack and pondered which way to go to try to remain dry, I was watching a big squall in the distance to see where it was headed! So I decided to take a route which would give me a nice tailwind to try to outrun the squall :p I had about 6 miles to cover before the wind was in my favour and the dark clouds were really closing in now, I could now feel the rain in the air but it wasn't even enough to wet the roads at this point!

I was right on the edge of the squall now and felt sure I was ready for a soaking but luckily for me I now had a nice descent where I really picked up speed and I managed to outrun the squall :D Now I had a lovely tailwind and I was cruising along at a good rate and outrunning the rain, a few miles from home and it looks pretty dark over my home town, getting soaked near home is nothing new 🤣 On my final climb home the rain arrived but I was less than a minute from my door, I opened my door very quickly and grabbed the bike and the heavens opened! I didn't even get wet, so lucky! ;) 220 miles covered in my last 3 rides, I'm really living the dream at the moment!😁

1595772396111.png

Attachments

• elevation_profile175.jpg
    elevation_profile175.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 260
  • trip-53099399-map-full87.png
    trip-53099399-map-full87.png
    456.1 KB · Views: 278
  • 20200726_084330.jpg
    20200726_084330.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 263
  • 20200726_090444.jpg
    20200726_090444.jpg
    673.9 KB · Views: 272
  • 20200726_090500.jpg
    20200726_090500.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 304
  • 20200726_090514.jpg
    20200726_090514.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 271
  • 20200726_090539.jpg
    20200726_090539.jpg
    789.7 KB · Views: 288
  • 20200726_091111.jpg
    20200726_091111.jpg
    868.9 KB · Views: 297
  • 20200726_091120.jpg
    20200726_091120.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 264
  • 20200726_091127.jpg
    20200726_091127.jpg
    760.5 KB · Views: 286
  • 20200726_091147.jpg
    20200726_091147.jpg
    745.1 KB · Views: 290
  • 20200726_091619.jpg
    20200726_091619.jpg
    715.7 KB · Views: 277
  • 20200726_091645.jpg
    20200726_091645.jpg
    656.1 KB · Views: 265
  • 20200726_095348.jpg
    20200726_095348.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 272
  • 20200726_095404.jpg
    20200726_095404.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 20200726_095442.jpg
    20200726_095442.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 278
Another wonderful video - Thanks!!

Today's forecast wasn't looking very promising but when I woke it was still dry so I decided to take a chance as I don't mind getting wet once I'm warmed up! I set off just before 8am with overcast skies with a rough idea of where I was going but keeping an eye on the rain clouds and getting ready to alter my route if the need arose!

Almost 22 miles in and the rain clouds were gathering as I reached the turning point, I stopped for a snack and pondered which way to go to try to remain dry, I was watching a big squall in the distance to see where it was headed! So I decided to take a route which would give me a nice tailwind to try to outrun the squall :p I had about 6 miles to cover before the wind was in my favour and the dark clouds were really closing in now, I could now feel the rain in the air but it wasn't even enough to wet the roads at this point!

I was right on the edge of the squall now and felt sure I was ready for a soaking but luckily for me I now had a nice descent where I really picked up speed and I managed to outrun the squall :D Now I had a lovely tailwind and I was cruising along at a good rate and outrunning the rain, a few miles from home and it looks pretty dark over my home town, getting soaked near home is nothing new 🤣 On my final climb home the rain arrived but I was less than a minute from my door, I opened my door very quickly and grabbed the bike and the heavens opened! I didn't even get wet, so lucky! ;) 220 miles covered in my last 3 rides, I'm really living the dream at the moment!😁

View attachment 60131
Sounds like an adrenaline filled ride and yet you still managed to take these beautiful photos! Thanks 🙂 🚴‍♀️

Still learning how to ride a MTB after years of path only.

Today, learned again valuable a helmet is, as a minor moment of stupidity created an over the handlebars event which ended up on a city sidewalk.
Thankfully only a scraped helmet and finger, with no other damage (me or bike) other than pride. A not quite perfect tuck and roll...
But, best yet - no witnesses that I was aware of.

To the ride itself - just 12 Km near home, with a nice little climb that topped out at 19.1%. ROGER (my name for the new Giant Fathom E+1 Pro) powered up just fine.

The photo is from Friday when I was going down the hill the other way - but today I climbed up.

Much nicer day today and the hill was fairly busy with walkers, runners, dogs and bikes.

20200724_122954.jpg

Some Strava details, highlighting the steep climb.
Bike Ride July 26.jpg

Last edited:
The Kindness of Strangers

0726201000a_copy_896x538.jpg

As seen (newly installed this week I might add) just a bit down the gravel road from the entry of a neighbor's estate. I was tickled pink to see it, and texted her that I loved what she and her hubby had provided.

What better way to employ an old tree truck, and a shady bit of land next to an equally shady and extremely quaint centuries old gravel road.

Only did 13 miles this morning, just to enjoy some cycling time. A torn rotator cuff and a project "Honey Do" list that was long enough to wrap around the house twice, down the driveway, and out to the road to disappear over the horizon have kept me otherwise occupied, but the majority of my efforts have been towards things that let the arm have some downtime to heal. Which, sadly, means no biking. Anytime the arm is stretched to hold the handlebar means teeth clenching pain. And pain overrides the pleasure of biking.

But the arm has been getting better, so I chanced a quiet, local ride today, mostly letting my arm remain quietly relaxed at my side while letting the uninjured arm do the lion's share of guiding the bike. My hubby was tackling his own "Honey Do" list - the item on the agenda today was replacing some 33 year old rotting trim on the garage. We called out goodbye to one another as I zipped down the driveway on my bike while he stood on the ladder, removing old trim boards.

Was rather surprised to see a great many cyclists out on the gravel roads. Now that we'd had some much needed and greatly appreciated rains, the roads are lovely again. No choking, blinding dust storms rising up like avenging tornadoes behind every passing vehicle, no fine film of dirt covering everything at the end of a ride, rider as well as bike. The scenery, parched and brown and sorrowful only days before, had recovered to a vibrant green so vivid that it bordered on intoxicating. Perhaps that had something to do with the big grins that met me as I drew up on a gravel road corner where 5 cyclists were standing, taking a breather before tackling the steep curvy hill in front of us.

Upon my query as to their starting point, I was told "The Plains", which was easily 20 miles south of where we all stood. "So you've come to ride our gravel roads now that the rains have finally dampened them down", I chuckled. All of them grinned a 'yes' in return, and one of the riders, a thin older fellow with a very elegant, very bushy beard, standing astride a very capable mountain bike, said "No more... poof " while pantomiming with both hands rising in the air the image of a massive mushroom cloud explosion of dust that any passing vehicle would incite on the previously dry-as-a-desert roads. "I wish we had left earlier...like 6am", he added with a resigned shake of his head. It wasn't hot...yet... but I noticed he looked a bit tired already, and asked them all if they had enough water. I pointed just down the road they can come upon, telling them that the Huntsman's house and barn just around the bend had plenty of outdoor faucets for water if they needed any. One of the riders seemed very happy to hear that, and thanked me profusely.

I left them with goodbyes all around, and tootled up the steep hill in maximum assist, 3rd gear. (Yes, it is a very steep little hill). The next 2.5 miles were relatively flat, and I was in no hurry to put on any speed. Which is why, after two other cyclists going the opposite way passed me, both saying hello and one actually greeting me by name (still wondering who that was?? Obviously a neighbor...) the group I'd left behind finally caught up with me. The lead rider, as he passed me, said they didn't think they were going to catch up with me. I laughed and told them I was on an electric bike, and if we'd been on an uphill they never would have caught up. Another rider pulled up next to me, curious as to how far my bike would hold a charge. We talked for a few minutes, and he was very impressed (he said) by my bike's capabilities. I wished them all a good ride home - 20 miles by my estimation - and watched them slowly disappear from view.

Even with my arm dangling down at my side being completely useless with the exception of that hand being the one changing the assist levels, my rotator cuff was bothering me. So I took the shortcut home, enjoying the blissfully cool shade of the trees hugging the sides of the gravel roads, and the peace and quiet of the newly revived and freshly cleansed countryside. It wasn't until I reached the paved road in front of my farm that I felt the first hit of hot air like a body slam out of nowhere. The first warning of the impending 94 degree heat that would envelop us within the hour.

I was already rolling up my driveway when the lovely cool morning abruptly disappeared in the face of a heat so intense it felt like someone had opened an oven door while it was on broil. Perhaps, as that one rider had said in that ride group, they should have started sooner, I mused. I sincerely hoped they'd be back home before this sudden intense heat hit them as well. I sincerely hoped that every rider I met on my little loop would be back home poste haste.

Tomorrow we are expecting to hit the century mark for temperatures. 100°F (37°C). A good day to continue resting the arm, and slowly checking items off the Honey Do list.

Last edited:
Went on a group ride with just 5 of us, keeping a good distance, around 20 feet and masking up when not out front.

It was good getting together with my buddies after months of mostly solo or one on one riding. I often turn down the assist and turn up my own output with these guys. They bring out the best in me.

Nice to wet the whistle and a bit of nosh after the ride too.

July 26 ride.jpg
20200726_122926.jpg

115 tonnes of industrial junk heritage …
2020-06-26-090805-2400-gb10.jpg

Raw Mill #6
Rocks Riverside Park
Once again I took a mid-ride break at the Rocks Riverside Park where once dead coral dredged from Moreton Bay had been offloaded and transported to the cements work.

The huge tumbler that had been used to crush the coral – there were several thousand metal balls inside – is now on display. In times gone by, the youngest and, presumably, slimmest apprentices were assigned the unenviable task of entering the barrel through the hatches clearly seen in the photo. Inspections and maintenance had to be done. It makes me feel claustrophobic just thinking of being inside that thing!

riverside-park.jpg

2020-06-26-091240-2400-gb10.jpg

Oxley Wharf, Brisbane River
Rocks Riverside Park
The old Oxley Wharf photo was taken in early 1939. After WW2 trucks were replaced by a conveyor belt from wharf to cement works. The cycle trail that follows the route of the conveyor belt was featured in post #1698 (click).

In the top photo the concrete (not steel!) structure of the conveyor belt system can be seen on the left. The whitish mound in the background of the first photo is crushed coral that never made it the cement works.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Readytoride Nice to read one your wonderful descriptive posts again, I hope your arm heals soon and your weather cools down! It makes me realise how lucky I am to live in a country with a cooler climate, I couldn't even contemplate riding in your conditions! Today its 57F and pouring with rain and I'm not complaining one bit because I know I am luckier than most!

@Readytoride Nice to read one your wonderful descriptive posts again, I hope your arm heals soon and your weather cools down! It makes me realise how lucky I am to live in a country with a cooler climate, I couldn't even contemplate riding in your conditions! Today its 57F and pouring with rain and I'm not complaining one bit because I know I am luckier than most!
Thank you. :) I'm anticipating both shoulder and weather will be vastly improved by next week. Our temps are supposed to drop into more agreeable realms at the end of this week, so the probabilities of me and my bikes being able to hit the roads again are a big One-O on the scale.

Yes, you are lucky. Rain and cool weather (sigh!) I would give my injured left arm for that right now.

My current view from the screened in porch, watching hummingbirds war over the feeders as the temps rise. Already at 91°f (33°c) and rapidly rising. Just out of camera range is a lone cyclist tootling down the road. Brave or crazy. Can't decide which.

20200727_114313_copy_774x543.jpg

Back