2020 Allant 9.9S Grinding Noise from motor or is it?

I ordered my new Onyx Classic rear hub last week and hope to have it by the first week of July. I’m also having my Bosch Nyon installed soon. Thanks for all your helpful upgrade tips! In the meantime, I’ll continue to take short rides on my noisy bike.

Thanks...I’ll go by the shop on Monday, show them your comments, and inquire about what they have ordered...in the meantime I’ll keep putting the miles on mine
My rebuilt hub is now so noisy it is totally embarrassing to ride it. You can hear it coming a block away. Plus I don't trust it to just puke and die. Frustrating but looking forward to resolution, soon I hope.

I ordered my new Onyx Classic rear hub last week and hope to have it by the first week of July. I’m also having my Bosch Nyon installed soon. Thanks for all your helpful upgrade tips! In the meantime, I’ll continue to take short rides on my noisy bike.
Don't get too far from home or have someone standing by with a rack to pick you up. My original hub totally failed in the shop when they were checking out the unnecessary motor replacement.

@JonVonGod Can you tell me which hub did you ordered, Today the hub sounded more noisy.

is this one ?
1592762916823.png

May I ask if this rear hub issue is specific to the Trek Alliant +9.9 ?
I am considering buying an Alliant +8 which I believe has a different rear hub?
I really like the looks of the +9.9 but having read through all of these posts I am worried.

May I ask if this rear hub issue is specific to the Trek Alliant +9.9 ?
I am considering buying an Alliant +8 which I believe has a different rear hub?
I really like the looks of the +9.9 but having read through all of these posts I am worried.

The posts I recall concerning the hub are all 9.9s owners. I just looked up the specs on the 8 and they use a Bontrager hub - so not the same Shimano hub that has been failing.

I’ve got 500 miles on my 9.9s and believe I’m hearing the start of the fail. Rhythmic creaking under stress...but I’ve Recently ordered the Onyx. Today I stopped by the shop and showed them the most recent response from Onyx in the above thread with the part number...micro-spline. The tech that ordered the part was not in so the exact part # was not readily available. I believe on the call the tech made to me earlier he spoke with Onyx and they recommended the ‘Classic’...so the question is will they both work?
BTW Erin of Carytown Bikes thought I was maybe too paranoid but fondly recalled using an Onyx on a MTB...”instant engagement”

I’ve got 500 miles on my 9.9s and believe I’m hearing the start of the fail. Rhythmic creaking under stress...but I’ve Recently ordered the Onyx. Today I stopped by the shop and showed them the most recent response from Onyx in the above thread with the part number...micro-spline. The tech that ordered the part was not in so the exact part # was not readily available. I believe on the call the tech made to me earlier he spoke with Onyx and they recommended the ‘Classic’...so the question is will they both work?
BTW Erin of Carytown Bikes thought I was maybe too paranoid but fondly recalled using an Onyx on a MTB...”instant engagement”

I ordered the "classic" in matte black. It weighs a ton by the way. Tech called me today and said it went together just fine with my new SRAM setup. The tech said he was really happy when he heard I wanted the Onyx because he thought it a first-class hub that would match up well with the Allant and hold up well under use - and because he loves to install cool stuff. His report today was that the bike is ready to go, the hub is silent and the whole setup he said was "just badass". I'm just going on his word and the hope that he has fully tested it because I can't pick up the bike and test it for myself until Thursday.

Onyx1.jpg

The posts I recall concerning the hub are all 9.9s owners. I just looked up the specs on the 8 and they use a Bontrager hub - so not the same Shimano hub that has been failing.
Thank you, that is good to know... providing that the Bontrager hub is up to the job.

I ordered the "classic" in matte black. It weighs a ton by the way. Tech called me today and said it went together just fine with my new SRAM setup. The tech said he was really happy when he heard I wanted the Onyx because he thought it a first-class hub that would match up well with the Allant and hold up well under use - and because he loves to install cool stuff. His report today was that the bike is ready to go, the hub is silent and the whole setup he said was "just badass". I'm just going on his word and the hope that he has fully tested it because I can't pick up the bike and test it for myself until Thursday.

View attachment 56533
I am pleased to read that the situation may have been resolved :) Such a shame that Trek have been letting these bikes out of the factory door with this problem.
Let's hope they have a serious re-think and use a better rear hub for future builds. I might still be interested in a + 9.9

Shop has installed the third XT hub on my 9.9 but I haven't got the bike back yet. The Bosch motor mounts also failed and I'm waiting on those. Its been two months in the shop this time still waiting...

Don't get too far from home or have someone standing by with a rack to pick you up. My original hub totally failed in the shop when they were checking out the unnecessary motor replacement.
Update: after daily short rides, the rear hub noise has stopped! Not sure why, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed. (...and my Onyx hub on order.)

Update: after daily short rides, the rear hub noise has stopped! Not sure why, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed. (...and my Onyx hub on order.)
I went to lbs and showed him the noise coming from hub, he says thats the way it supposed to be. I am pretty sure in coming months its gonna fail.

I just got my Allant 9.9s and I have the same noise coming from the bike, only about 100 miles so far. Initially as speed increased without pedaling, the ratchet sound would oscillate. Then over the last 2 days I have a slight creak with pedaling, like the original sound clip in this thread. Also I think I feel a slight vibration in the crank at higher speed and pedaling, might be matched to the creaking issue, although its hard to hear with the wind. It seems the hub really is the issue. Thinking of the onyx or inudstry nine hydra as a replacement.

I just got my Allant 9.9s and I have the same noise coming from the bike, only about 100 miles so far. Initially as speed increased without pedaling, the ratchet sound would oscillate. Then over the last 2 days I have a slight creak with pedaling, like the original sound clip in this thread. Also I think I feel a slight vibration in the crank at higher speed and pedaling, might be matched to the creaking issue, although its hard to hear with the wind. It seems the hub really is the issue. Thinking of the onyx or inudstry nine hydra as a replacement.
I've also noticed the vibration at high speeds and low cadence. I feel like that's probably a motor issue though and not related to the rear hub at all but I could be way off. I'm not very knowledgable of bike mechanics at all - it's just what it feels like to me!

you might be right, the short vibration in the crank does not always happen, so is not consistent, but I dont fell any change in power or anything, that one is tougher, I think first get the hub changed out and see if the vibration issue remains.

I am having the same problem with my hub. I had the hub taken apart about 2 weeks ago and the noise went away but is back again...
So is Trek going to make this right?

Back