2020 Allant 9.9S Grinding Noise from motor or is it?

That looks like a good destination now that I shipped the livestock to the stock market…if my Onyx hubs hold up

Umm. Bob, why do you care? You ditched your 9.9S and went to a Specialized. Trek stood behind their products and replaced any defective hubs that I heard about here. I worked through it with the Trek Team and they fixed everything - even as I moved from NJ to FL and different LBS - and through Covid. Nothing but good things to say, both about Trek and the LBS’s in NJ and FL. Everyone has been super nice and helpful.
Umm. Bob, why do you care?
Because I'm curious.
Why not?
Just like anything else I can use as an example, the economy is built on customer loyalty.
If a product that once was failed is improved, why then would one not wish to revisit to see if the woes of the past have been attended to and the product or service improved?
Makes sense to me, that's why I care.

^ Ditto. In reading this thread, his negativity is well documented.

Just a heads up since this thread is pretty much dead and you are now in St. Pete - have you ridden the Pinellas Trail up to Tarpon Springs? I'm about an hour south of you and we do that ride about once/yr, starting at a mall around 25th? Street in St Pete - lots of good restaurants in Tarpon Springs. 🌮 Also the ride out to Ft Desoto is a good ride for you locals = coming from the south, we start a couple of miles north of the Skyway Bridge & ride the skyway and then around to Ft Desoto - lots of good restaurants along the Pinellas Bayway. too
Hi First Light,

You are totally right this is a great place to ride. Yes to all of the above - done Ft Desoto, Fishing Pier on Skyway, St. Pete Beach, Pass-a-Grill many others - lucky to be able to do the rides from home. Have a neighborhood ride on the trail from home to Gulfport for breakfast. We live just north of downtown St. Pete (Crescent Heights). Lovin the trail. Took the bikes to Dunedin last Monday and rode 20 north and then back to lunch in Dunedin. Looking to do the cross FL trail when finished. We moved to FL to have full year outdoor biking, and the last year has been great. And by the way, have flexible season tickets to Rays, and always rode our bike from home to Tropicana Field. Less than 7 minutes. So fun to go to MLB by bike. Just wish the Rays had gone farther. 😉

Last edited:
Umm. Bob, why do you care?
Because I'm curious.
Why not?
Just like anything else I can use as an example, the economy is built on customer loyalty.
If a product that once was failed is improved, why then would one not wish to revisit to see if the woes of the past have been attended to and the product or service improved?
Makes sense to me, that's why I care.
OK. Just wondering.

So then, out of curiosity, has Trek addressed the supply of bad Shimano hubs and replaced the current production with Onyx hubs, or are they still selling products with defective parts?
Hi GuruUno my name is the shoesterI am new to the group but found you because of your thread on the Allant 9.9s noise you and many others have experienced. My noise started out intermittent, but now it is continuous. It is in my LBS but to be honest they have no clue what they are dealing with! The sound my bike is making is identical to the audio clip you posted a year and a half ago. To me the sound seems to be coming from the motor housing, did it seem that way on yours as well? Was the final disposition a bad Shimano hub?

Hi GuruUno my name is the shoesterI am new to the group but found you because of your thread on the Allant 9.9s noise you and many others have experienced. My noise started out intermittent, but now it is continuous. It is in my LBS but to be honest they have no clue what they are dealing with! The sound my bike is making is identical to the audio clip you posted a year and a half ago. To me the sound seems to be coming from the motor housing, did it seem that way on yours as well? Was the final disposition a bad Shimano hub?
Sorry to hear of your issues. I no longer have the bike. Trek bought it back and we parted ways. I now have 3 Specialized Vado bikes, the perfect option if you want to jump ship.
Each LBS is an entity of its own, some suck, others are fantastic..
The roll of the dice. Life.
Sorry.

Sorry to hear of your issues. I no longer have the bike. Trek bought it back and we parted ways. I now have 3 Specialized Vado bikes, the perfect option if you want to jump ship.
Each LBS is an entity of its own, some suck, others are fantastic..
The roll of the dice. Life.
Sorry.
I bought a 9.9s also, It has been in the LBS over a dozen times. From Controller issues to shifting issues. I'm done with this Nightmare also!

Hi First Light,

You are totally right this is a great place to ride. Yes to all of the above - done Ft Desoto, Fishing Pier on Skyway, St. Pete Beach, Pass-a-Grill many others - lucky to be able to do the rides from home. Have a neighborhood ride on the trail from home to Gulfport for breakfast. We live just north of downtown St. Pete (Crescent Heights). Lovin the trail. Took the bikes to Dunedin last Monday and rode 20 north and then back to lunch in Dunedin. Looking to do the cross FL trail when finished. We moved to FL to have full year outdoor biking, and the last year has been great. And by the way, have flexible season tickets to Rays, and always rode our bike from home to Tropicana Field. Less than 7 minutes. So fun to go to MLB by bike. Just wish the Rays had gone farther. 😉
The Fort Desoto road is PE CARPENTER memorial highway. My Dad built the Sunshine skyway.

I bought a 9.9s also, It has been in the LBS over a dozen times. From Controller issues to shifting issues. I'm done with this Nightmare also!
wonder what makes it so much of a problem compared to the 8? I mean the smartphone hub needs to go for sure.

My 9.9 is about 9 months old now, has about 900 miles on it and has been virtually trouble
wonder what makes it so much of a problem compared to the 8? I mean the smartphone hub needs to go for sure.
For me it started with having to upgrade the controller to fix the phantom controller shut down. otherwise I can't imagine how long this would have gone on.
Then came constant shifting issues, Chain derailments & noises.
Derailer would Never hold an adjustment for more than 25-40 miles.

I heard a host of guesses what was causing this, Shifter cable housing too short, moving when bars moved to full stops, Derailer guard interference, bad cassettes, derailers, motor loose, shifter, possible hub issue?
Ive got complete XT setups on other bikes I have installed & Never a problem.
I made calls to Bosch & then Trek. Trek informed me the shop had never filed a claim on this bike other than the one before I bought the bike for a Cross-threaded front axle on fork!
I made over a Dozen trips to the shop chasing fixes for the Bike.

I really wanted to keep it but after awhile I just decided it was more fun to ride a bike than constantly take it to the shop. It was under warranty & for what it cost I expected it to be fixed.

They really are Awesome looking frames! They ride great when working correctly. Luckily I have other bikes. If they could have fixed it I would have happily kept it!

Attachments

• tempImageIT9pdp.png
    tempImageIT9pdp.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 168
For me it started with having to upgrade the controller to fix the phantom controller shut down. otherwise I can't imagine how long this would have gone on.
Then came constant shifting issues, Chain derailments & noises.
Derailer would Never hold an adjustment for more than 25-40 miles.

I heard a host of guesses what was causing this, Shifter cable housing too short, moving when bars moved to full stops, Derailer guard interference, bad cassettes, derailers, motor loose, shifter, possible hub issue?
Ive got complete XT setups on other bikes I have installed & Never a problem.
I made calls to Bosch & then Trek. Trek informed me the shop had never filed a claim on this bike other than the one before I bought the bike for a Cross-threaded front axle on fork!
I made over a Dozen trips to the shop chasing fixes for the Bike.

I really wanted to keep it but after awhile I just decided it was more fun to ride a bike than constantly take it to the shop. It was under warranty & for what it cost I expected it to be fixed.

They really are Awesome looking frames! They ride great when working correctly. Luckily I have other bikes. If they could have fixed it I would have happily kept it!
when you say controller you mean the smart hub? it sounds like the shop was the biggest failure on this some trek stores are pretty much worthless. mine was another local chain when trek bought them and kept the staff so they were good before. Plus some bad parts maybe?

when you say controller you mean the smart hub? it sounds like the shop was the biggest failure on this some trek stores are pretty much worthless. mine was another local chain when trek bought them and kept the staff so they were good before. Plus some bad parts maybe?
Yes, The Cobi "Smart?" hub.

I hate to say anything about the shop, as they are friendly & personable folks. For whatever reason, the 9.9 I bought was overall a "Lemon" experience & never repaired so I could enjoy it.

I have read where other shops will pick up your bike, Work with Trek & Bosch to have real resolution on these problems. That didn't happen for me.

Opinion vary on these bikes, I don't hate the 9.9 or Trek. Mine was just a Lemon experience & I am envious of those who
have theirs working!

anyways, Off to new adventures! Cheers!

Last edited:
Yes, The Cobi "Smart?" hub.

I hate to say anything about the shop, as they are friendly & personable folks. For whatever reason, the 9.9 I bought was overall a "Lemon" experience & never repaired so I could enjoy it.

I have read where other shops will pick up your bike, Work with Trek & Bosch to have real resolution on these problems. That didn't happen for me.

Opinion vary on these bikes, I don't hate the 9.9 or Trek. Mine was just a Lemon experience & I am envious of those who
have theirs working!

anyways, Off to new adventures! Cheers!
ya the smart hub has been a failure for sure. If your shop wont put much effort into it then yep. I bought my bulls e bike from a ebike only shop and they were pretty good. but hey changed hands with the pandemic and it was far harder to get work done. when my motor rusted out (way to much rain riding and the bike not drying out) my trek shop mechanic got bosch to replace the motor after warranty. he also just got bosch to update our tandem motor and wired it to use two batteries. he has also swapped a few motors and we hope to have that done with the tandem. so it takes a good mechanic to solve these issues.

My 9.9s has been wonderful for over a year and >1k miles, but I also experienced the intermittent and increasingly grinding noise; it was the hub. I took it to my local bike shop, and they replaced the hub and now it runs smoothly again. Outside of that the bike has been trouble free and has provided many hours of enjoyment.

Back