2020 Allant 9.9S Grinding Noise from motor or is it?

The noise cadence changed with the gear change, so I'm now leaning towards thinking it's a problem with the motor.

You might also consider checking the cranks. If they are loose this is a typical sound I would expect and also consistent with cadence. Try pulling one crank at a time outward (i.e. away from the motor). There should be no movement in the crank...if there is any movement at all you should tighten the crank bolt ASAP. If you let a loose crank go too long without tightening it can damage the bottom bracket spline. The crank bolt is a large hex bolt (I *think* it requires an 8mm hex wrench... torque wrench preferred, but getting it tight is priority).

I still plan on asking them to swap out the rear wheel to see if it makes a difference.
I agree with Alaskan. More likely the hub. Go there first. Then to the motor. It is really difficult to diagnose because it is difficult to ascertain where the sound is coming from. I also agree that you have a premium bike, Trek with stand behind it, just have some patience and understand that we are in a difficult supply time with Covid. That does not mean you need to not have the bike to use for months, but in these time, kindness and understanding will take you to the right spot. We all need to work together.

Did 45 miles today on the bike. Really, it is a fantastic bike. Shame that the hub is an issue, but everything else is awesome. I call it the SUV of bikes, it goes anywhere, smooth, tough, fast, really I am loving it. Yeah, you have to get the hub sorted. But beyond that, it is great.

However, a lot of down time.
A lot of inconvenience.
A lot of troubleshooting.
A lot of everything that is questionable for a bike of this caliber.
Ya think?

A lot of inconvenience.
Ya think?
I don't agree and don't want to argue about it. I have a much more positive take than you with more or less the same issues. My shop has been great, gave me a loner wheel to keep me riding while we solved the problem and absorbed the cost of a much more expensive hub which hugely improved my drive train. You get more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I don't agree and don't want to argue about it. I have a much more positive take than you with more or less the same issues. My shop has been great, gave me a loner wheel to keep me riding while we solved the problem and absorbed the cost of a much more expensive hub which hugely improved my drive train. You get more flies with honey than with vinegar.

That is understood.
I'm not disputing your patience.
Not an argument.
I think my point is if you buy a product, and the plethora of issue after issue after issue occurs, at what point does on make a judgement call as to whether it is a marketing, design or engineering defect?
Regardless of the consideration by the LBS or Trek to accommodate for the inconvenience, as an example, a car with similar problem after problem here in NJ is covered by a Lemon Law. Not that the Allant+ series is a car (but maybe a lemon) at what point does one accept the fact that maybe it was a bad design, etc.?
Resale value, the future an potential continuance of ongoing issues makes me shudder at the thought of adding it to a stable of acquired bikes, or an individual purchase.
Some can only afford investing in 1 bike and at $6k with the problems that this model has exhibited make it a choice that potential buyers should be made aware of.
That is my only point of expressing my opinion and real world experience. To warn and alert others that they may have parallel experiences and might want to consider a different model. That's all.

A lot of inconvenience.
Ya think?
Ugh.......I’ve read so many of your posts on this site. It must really suck having a glass that’s always half empty.

So far this noise has been pinpointed to the rear shimano XT hub. Otherwise for me, I have not had any other problems. I like everything else, carbon frame, high level components with a Bosch speed motor.

So far this noise has been pinpointed to the rear shimano XT hub. Otherwise for me, I have not had any other problems. I like everything else, carbon frame, high level components with a Bosch speed motor.
Be patient. It will be worth it. Once you get a reliable hub on that bike, it just rocks. I live in a hilly area so I put the 10-51 tooth cassette on mine and added the Sram AXS electronic derailleur. With the Onyx hub it is the sweetest drive train I have ridden. Add that to the updated Gen 4 speed motor with the firmware upgrade, this bike is so solid, responsive, precise and just plain fun to ride,

Be patient. It will be worth it. Once you get a reliable hub on that bike, it just rocks. I live in a hilly area so I put the 10-51 tooth cassette on mine and added the Sram AXS electronic derailleur. With the Onyx hub it is the sweetest drive train I have ridden. Add that to the updated Gen 4 speed motor with the firmware upgrade, this bike is so solid, responsive, precise and just plain fun to ride,
Totally agree with Alaskan. I think the firmware upgrade gave it noticeably more grunt. Really goes along well. I also got rid of one of our cars, as we moved to St. Petersburg and have been using the bike to run around town rather than a car.

I’m happy with the bike, it was the best choice amongst the available options. I went ahead and changed out the hubs anyways, I’m not sure I had any noise issues yet, but I wanted new hubs anyways. The motor boost seems pretty substantial to me, you can really feel it. I almost think the old turbo is sport now essentially. I did notice the motor makes a bit more noise from the increased power, it’s subtle though.

Nothing built by the hand of man will be perfect and without flaw. The measure of quality is not that it has a record of being perfect but rather how the maker responds when there is a problem with the product.
Thanks again for all your great upgrade ideas for the Allant 9.9. I think I may have gone a little overboard, but I now have my dream bike. Here's a list of all that I have changed since buying the bike last February:
View attachment 73211
I'll share some pics after I receive and install the Supernova headlight.

Attachments

• Allant1.jpg
    Allant1.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 356
  • Allant2.jpg
    Allant2.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 366
  • Allant3.jpg
    Allant3.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 348
  • Allant4.jpg
    Allant4.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Apologising for a little joke: You should have invested in $500 Supernova M99 Pro :)
Jokes aside: Your list is really impressive!

I’ve put more than a few bucks into upgrading my Allant also. I’m waiting on the VA check for the next one...The Altran kickstand. $29.95. I was surprised to see $350 for the Nyon upgrade. Was this installed?

I’ve put more than a few bucks into upgrading my Allant also. I’m waiting on the VA check for the next one...The Altran kickstand. $29.95. I was surprised to see $350 for the Nyon upgrade. Was this installed?
No, but I bought it from a shop in the UK. The cost includes shipping. Installation was an additonal $100.

Apologising for a little joke: You should have invested in $500 Supernova M99 Pro :)
I liked the daytime running light on the M99, but not the gloss finish or large footprint. The mini is matte black and will fit nicely under the Bosch Nyon unit. I intend to flash the high beam only to wake up drivers about to cross my path. Otherwise, it'll be on low beam while riding around town.

Great list of mods.

@Stefan Mikes the M99 pro needs a minimum 24 volts and thus has to be wired directly into the battery leads, not the motor. Installing the M99 pro on a gen 4 Bosch motor ebike voids the warranty.

unnamed.png

Attachments

• Kompatibilitätsliste-E-Bike-Antriebe_2020_V-1.pdf
    205.5 KB · Views: 302
So of all these mods being discussed here, the kickstand caught my attention. What kickstand is this you are planning to buy? I hate the Pletscher kickstand on the Allant 9.9s. If the bike is pointed downhill or you give it a push the kickstand will not hold. And I lost the rubber foot as well. The Allant 9.9s has a mount on the frame for it so I figured I might be stuck with the Pletscher. So what kickstand did you find and does your Allant model have the same mount on the frame?
1606957268908.png

So of all these mods being discussed here, the kickstand caught my attention. What kickstand is this you are planning to buy? I hate the Pletscher kickstand on the Allant 9.9s. If the bike is pointed downhill or you give it a push the kickstand will not hold. And I lost the rubber foot as well. The Allant 9.9s has a mount on the frame for it so I figured I might be stuck with the Pletscher. So what kickstand did you find and does your Allant model have the same mount on the frame?
View attachment 73240
Alaskan recommended The Altran Rex-DV direct mount I found on Trek site. For the most part mine has worked well, but lately parked in wind I saw some teetering so I’m replacing it

Back