2014 Currie IZIP E3 DASH

One more question I have not been able to find a solid answer to is whether this is a bike I can use to commute in the rain and snow. Commuting was the intended purpose of the purchase - and I try to commute by bike whenever I can year round. I'm assuming the announced but as of yet unfulfilled promise of a city kit for the bike suggests rain and snow use. But perhaps the fact that it has not yet come to market suggests the manufacturer is concerned about encouraging use of the bike in foul weather. I don't want to ruin a great piece of machinery, and I really can't read tea leaves well at all. So what's the message? Thanks again.

Bud,
Thank you for taking the time to describe your experiences on your Dash. Range is a tricky thing. It is affected mechanical, electrical and human factors, and can be quite subjective when trying to diagnose.

Firstly I would advise to have all the simple things like air pressure and brakes tuned properly, so you can rule them out as any factor. You might want to establish your baseline range. The numbers posted on our website is for a 170 lb rider on flat ground with "normal pedaling". The "normal pedaling" is VERY subjective. Does that mean pushing 3 lbs on to the pedals or 10.5 lbs? Kind of hard to know. So here's what we suggest. With a full charge, find a very flat area, and just ride in throttle mode until the battery shuts the system down, when empty. That will give you the least range for you that is possible. Any pedaling, with actual pushing, or any pedal assist modes will dramatically increase the range.

The Diagnostic modes 8 and 9 are supposed to be the same. 8 is your charge percentage, and 9 is the amp-hour representation of that charge. So at 100% charge, in a perfect world should show 088 in #9, but this NEVER happens, both numbers can be off from reality. The charge percentage has proven to be pretty accurate to the battery bars on-screen and the lights on the side of the battery pack, but the amp-hours have never been right, and have since been removed from the software for 2015. Even batteries showing 099 / 064 have proven on a drain test to perform as good as 100/088, on several trials, on several batteries.

For your brake sensor issue, that seems to have been fixed, for now, you may want to, first take the battery off, then open the back of the LCD screen and the button pad, and make sure all the wire connections are fully in place. Anywhere in the line of the sensors that may be loose, could trigger the system to think your brakes are on. Loose sensor, missing magnet, damaged wire, loose inside button pad, or loose inside LCD all can show that dreaded "001" on test 7.

Here's what it looks like inside:
https://sites.google.com/a/curriete...ort/component-replacement/brake-cutoff-sensor

https://sites.google.com/a/curriete...duct-support/component-replacement/button-pad

https://sites.google.com/a/curriete...chnical-support/component-replacement/display

Thanks for the reply, Pace. I purchased my 2014 at the end of the model year. Not sure how the battery is supposed to perform, whether it degraded while sitting on the bike shop floor etc. etc. I'm just trying to feel confident that my recent purchase came with a fully performing battery. Maybe I should just stop thinking about it and just enjoy the ride!

@Pace I was thinking of your comments today while cranked out a 60 mile loop, I was a bit unsure of making the distance and knew I had a headwind developing for the ride home. So PAS 1 all the way, spinning a high cadence and generally cutting 5 mph off my usual 20 - 25 average, worked well. Visited an e-bike shop in Little Italy, still have 2 bars on both batteries. I'm also happy to report the Marathon Racer's are holding up nicely and a huge part of my bikes freakish speed. -S

The range can be all over the place depending on how and where you ride. Speed kills the battery; uphill really really kills the battery.

@Pace I was a bit unsure of making the distance and knew I had a headwind developing for the ride home. So PAS 1 all the way, spinning a high cadence and generally cutting 5 mph off my usual 20 - 25 average, worked well. Visited an e-bike shop in Little Italy, still have 2 bars on both batteries. I'm also happy to report the Marathon Racer's are holding up nicely and a huge part of my bikes freakish speed. -S

Yeah, it's a bit counter intuitive sometimes... if you pedal hard (contribute more of your own energy), you'll still end up going through battery faster, because the dash will push harder along with you! Easing up on the speed will definitely extend the range.

I'm still running the stock tires -- now at ~ 1500 miles I was hoping they'd have shown more wear by now so that I could replace them without feeling guilty. I am putting on a new set of Schwalbe Marathons very soon --- but they're carbide-studded Marathon Winters. I'm guessing you won't be needing those in San Diego.

I recently swapped my stock tires for a set of 700x43mm continental travel contacts. The extra bit of tread on the edges of the tires seems to significantly improve traction on dirt or gravel while turning. I found the stock tires to be extremely slippery on loose dirt and had a couple bad spills to prove it. The Travel contacts have a flat center and roll much easier it almost feels like your on a rail. Because they are thinner and can take 80psi they have also improved the distance I can ride (In combination with the software hack). The one small downside is that they make for a bumpier ride as there is much less air to cushion you. No too bad though.

I'd love to understand why currie chose the stock cst tires in such a wide size. Was it to keep people on pavement (is there a downside to going off road with this bike)? Was it just a comfort thing? I have my original hub motor- does that mean I should be conscious of magnets coming unglued if the ride gets to rough?

I'd love to understand why currie chose the stock cst tires in such a wide size.
Probably for pneumatic shock absorption and profit margins. I would consider the Dash capable of light duty off road use, I have never taken a jump with mine for example, fire roads, unpaved parking lots, etc. I think the magnet bonding issue is old news now. -S

Back