2014 Currie IZIP E3 DASH

They may be mistaking the 2013 or '14 Zuma battery with this Dash one. The Peak also has the same as the Dash, but with different decals.

Maybe. So is there someway I can Just call you're company direct and order the dash battery? a number ? email adress?

You can call and order one here, but we intentionally price things as to not be in competition with our dealers. You likely can get a better price locally. You can call here 800-377-4532

why do you say definitely need a second battery? what kind of range are you getting?

I have a peak. I get good enough range (20-30miles) keep in mind I am 230 lbs and ride in the streets of DC to give you an idea of the terrain. There are times when I get home after a ride and wish that I had a second battery only because I tend to leave my car parked and ride trails through DC, MD and VA to get to my destinations. Sometimes I feel like I am held back by waiting for my battery to charge. To put it into perspective,the first 3 days with my peak, I racked up 100 miles. Riding on a capable ebike makes you want to keep riding and never stop, that's the only reason why I say I definitely need another battery. Not because having 1 is bad, but because I would probably rack up more miles if I had a second battery to use. ;)

Follow-up from my earlier post re: the Dash.

On April 22nd I bought my Dash and was excited about biking to work and dropping my boy off at day care while I went. It took about two weeks to get everything else I needed equipment wise. The major piece was a rack that would mount with disc brakes and that held a child seat. Debated about using a trailer, and in spite of what every child safety advocate in the world states, finally decided that it was safer to not use one to ride on a mix of city streets, neighborhood roads, sidewalks, paved bicycle paths, and improved dirt paths. Finally, I was all ready to go, and one morning I realized that the morning temperature in Denver was still below freezing in late April/early May! Three days later I got two days to commute, but my brake cables had stretched so much since I bought it that I had to bring it in for its warranty service. One week later I finally got the bike back, but then three more mornings of unseasonal cold. Then finally last week thursday the morning temp was finally above 40 degrees. Bundled the boy up in his winter coat, his gaiter, and helmet and off we went! I have commuted these last three working days, and I love it!

I'm making my 13 mile trip to work in about 40 mins in the mornings. So I'm averaging just shy of 20 MPH. I have a few route changes I need to consider to boost my average speed. I thought that bike paths would be great, but some of them are a little too meandering and frankly not safe for me to fly down at 25+ MPH (which the Dash does w/o any real effort), plus some of the hair pin turns are a little much.

26 miles round trip, and I have to charge at work, which is a story unto itself considering the field I work in, but the 2 year old loves his rides to day care.

Then today I had a bit of scare, the battery ran out before I got home. It was a mixture of factors, one being I leave the bike in PA4 all the time (totally unnecessary), it was hotter today, about 85 degrees, and finally I was riding the bike very hard in high gear, which was probably causing the torque and cadence sensors to apply more power than was necessary. Then I got home plugged it in and the battery charger started flashing red. Panic!!!

Read the manual and it said to let the battery and charger cool down as my first step (actually it was the last step in the manual, but it was logically the first step). So I stuck it in the fridge and 30 minutes later plugged it in and now it's charging.

Just hit 200 total miles on the bike today as well, and I figure I'll put on ~600 miles a month. Aside from all of my little problems which are mostly just dealer assembly issues, excessive heat, and sheer laziness on my part I am very happy with my purchase so far. There's a few creaky sounds that are coming from the bike, but that always seems to happen when I bring any bike in for service. Another thing is that the motor seems to be making more noise than when I first bought it, and there seems to be a bit of jerkiness in when the motor assists kick in and out even when I'm under 28 MPH. I'm going to keep paying attention to these potential issues.

And yes when I get to work I need to change and wash up because I did just get a work out. I feel better than I have in months, this is just what I needed.

Dash = Pure Fun and only adds 20 total minutes round trip to my daily commute.

Kyle,

I live in Las Vegas…all my rides are on streets or sidewalks. The milage is really determind by how much power you need or want. I ride in PAS 1 or 2…if i need more power for a hill i just use the throttle. I have done lots of test on my bike and one of them i only put it in PAS 1 and went 13 miles before one bar was gone and around 8-9 miles when on PAS 2. You can go an ez 40 miles on the dash but not if you want to throttle the whole way. The test in PAS 1 i went 27 miles before the 2nd bar was gone. I was done for the day after that but i believe i could have gone over 60 miles at that pace. So one battery should be fine, but if you are one that just wants to use the T then maybe a 2nd bat is a good idea. But if they came out with a bat for the dash with longer AH i would be interested too just for peace of mind. hope this helps….if you have more questions plz ask…I have had my dash since Feb 2014.

Justin

Kyle,

I live in Las Vegas…all my rides are on streets or sidewalks. The milage is really determind by how much power you need or want. I ride in PAS 1 or 2…if i need more power for a hill i just use the throttle. I have done lots of test on my bike and one of them i only put it in PAS 1 and went 13 miles before one bar was gone and around 8-9 miles when on PAS 2. You can go an ez 40 miles on the dash but not if you want to throttle the whole way. The test in PAS 1 i went 27 miles before the 2nd bar was gone. I was done for the day after that but i believe i could have gone over 60 miles at that pace. So one battery should be fine, but if you are one that just wants to use the T then maybe a 2nd bat is a good idea. But if they came out with a bat for the dash with longer AH i would be interested too just for peace of mind. hope this helps….if you have more questions plz ask…I have had my dash since Feb 2014.

Justin
I have a question, how many miles have you racked up on you're dash? What sort of maintenance do you do to the bike and how often? Have you noticed any slowing down of the motor or loss in performance, also thank you for such a great detailed answer as to the range. IT IS HARD TO GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER TO THAT QUESTION YOU'RE RESPONSE WAS VERY HELPFUL. THANKS.

Follow-up from my earlier post re: the Dash.

On April 22nd I bought my Dash and was excited about biking to work and dropping my boy off at day care while I went. It took about two weeks to get everything else I needed equipment wise. The major piece was a rack that would mount with disc brakes and that held a child seat. Debated about using a trailer, and in spite of what every child safety advocate in the world states, finally decided that it was safer to not use one to ride on a mix of city streets, neighborhood roads, sidewalks, paved bicycle paths, and improved dirt paths. Finally, I was all ready to go, and one morning I realized that the morning temperature in Denver was still below freezing in late April/early May! Three days later I got two days to commute, but my brake cables had stretched so much since I bought it that I had to bring it in for its warranty service. One week later I finally got the bike back, but then three more mornings of unseasonal cold. Then finally last week thursday the morning temp was finally above 40 degrees. Bundled the boy up in his winter coat, his gaiter, and helmet and off we went! I have commuted these last three working days, and I love it!

I'm making my 13 mile trip to work in about 40 mins in the mornings. So I'm averaging just shy of 20 MPH. I have a few route changes I need to consider to boost my average speed. I thought that bike paths would be great, but some of them are a little too meandering and frankly not safe for me to fly down at 25+ MPH (which the Dash does w/o any real effort), plus some of the hair pin turns are a little much.

26 miles round trip, and I have to charge at work, which is a story unto itself considering the field I work in, but the 2 year old loves his rides to day care.

Then today I had a bit of scare, the battery ran out before I got home. It was a mixture of factors, one being I leave the bike in PA4 all the time (totally unnecessary), it was hotter today, about 85 degrees, and finally I was riding the bike very hard in high gear, which was probably causing the torque and cadence sensors to apply more power than was necessary. Then I got home plugged it in and the battery charger started flashing red. Panic!!!

Read the manual and it said to let the battery and charger cool down as my first step (actually it was the last step in the manual, but it was logically the first step). So I stuck it in the fridge and 30 minutes later plugged it in and now it's charging.

Just hit 200 total miles on the bike today as well, and I figure I'll put on ~600 miles a month. Aside from all of my little problems which are mostly just dealer assembly issues, excessive heat, and sheer laziness on my part I am very happy with my purchase so far. There's a few creaky sounds that are coming from the bike, but that always seems to happen when I bring any bike in for service. Another thing is that the motor seems to be making more noise than when I first bought it, and there seems to be a bit of jerkiness in when the motor assists kick in and out even when I'm under 28 MPH. I'm going to keep paying attention to these potential issues.

And yes when I get to work I need to change and wash up because I did just get a work out. I feel better than I have in months, this is just what I needed.

Dash = Pure Fun and only adds 20 total minutes round trip to my daily commute.
Could you explain what happened to cause the creaking noise? Can it be fixed by tightening all the bolts screws and maybe oiling the suspension and chain? And as far as the motor getting more noisier would you say it is really bad? Also how long would you guess that the dashes motor would last? 5000, 10000 miles? Based on your own use so far. Thanks for the great response to my questions earlier!

re: the creaking noise I have no idea, aside from prior to bringing it in to REI for my warranty service I didn't have it, now I have something strange in the front that creaks and in the rear. As well. I think it was apart of tightening up my brakes. I frankly began to notice it on my ride yesterday and actually narrowed in on it today, so I will keep folks posted. It seems to come from my brake hand grips in some way.

Currie states the motor is warrantied for 2 years, so I imagine it will last that long. I have no idea how many miles they figure that two years actually is, but for me provided I can ride everyday (which won't happen), two years is 13,000 miles. As far as the motor noise, it's not bad, it's just that I've started noticing it. Whereas when I first got the bike I didn't notice it at all, and I was actively listening for it.

I have a question, how many miles have you racked up on you're dash? What sort of maintenance do you do to the bike and how often? Have you noticed any slowing down of the motor or loss in performance, also thank you for such a great detailed answer as to the range. IT IS HARD TO GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER TO THAT QUESTION YOU'RE RESPONSE WAS VERY HELPFUL. THANKS.
I just looked and have 348 miles. I don't use ride my bike everyday its more of a lifestyle. Take it to the gym, parks, san diego, parker AZ, just to be outside, my wife has the 2013 metro so we go to lunch and just cruise. I have and do sometimes take it to work (24 miles round trip) on nice days and when i do……DASH to work! I have had it going 32 mph with ease.

As far as maintenance there are some good links in this section of the forum that will give you enough to make your own educated decision. I plan on servicing our two bikes around 500 miles.

Motor is as silent as it was on day one and zero loss in performance! This bike is 100!!

Have you noticed any reduce in top speed(since the motor noise), and what is you're personal top speed. I know the I zip Web site says 28 but some claim that it can get up to 30mph? Is that true?

I would not link any issues I have had recently directly to the slightly louder hum of my motor, and I can still get my bike into the low 30's MPH on flats with some hard and fast pedaling on PA4. My personal best was 45 MPH downhill (and I don't have the boy with me at that point in my ride), and 36 on a flat. When going uphill I find it difficult to go below 17MPH, unless I just don't want to put the effort in, but I can routinely "cruise" up a moderate slope at around 23 MPH. I got lots of hills in my area and especially along my route to work.

Kyle,
I can get to about 32 on level or even very mild uphill, and the issue is the 11 tooth high gear. I just can't get the cadence high enough, I've plenty left in the legs. I looked into replacing the the 11 tooth with a 9 or 10 tooth but then decided I didn't really want to go that fast on a regular basis, which I would if I had the 9 tooth. I think most people can expect 28 with medium force on reasonable terrain. I'm 160, 58, and not a jock, just for reference.

Hi All,

New to the forum--EBR's YouTube videos are what brought me here, and also brought me to REI where I test drove and bought an IZIP E3 Dash. It's probably one of the greatest things I've ever purchased in my life! Already put 200 miles on it and loving every minute. I do get that weird thing where sometimes it feels like it's pulling on me rather than assisting me (around 16-18 mph) but I've found that if I keep pedaling and throttle up to about 20-22, it "snaps out of it" and I can let go of the throttle and keep going at the new speed.

Thanks to EBR for the great community, and CurrieTech for the beautiful bicycle! (This ought to hold me off till I can afford my dream bike, the Stromer ST2 :) )

Last edited:
Just shy of 1000 miles on my Dash. Needed to replace all the brake pads (lots of stop and go in the city) and replace the front brake cable. Other than that, after my initial issues the bike has been solid. The brakes do need constant adjustment due to my riding style.

No loss of power. Motor is still silent, low 30's on a flat. Battery still holds a decent charge after 200+ charge cycles.
Next year I'll look into getting a 2nd battery. (Or find a 4amp charger)

Just shy of 1000 miles on my Dash. Needed to replace all the brake pads (lots of stop and go in the city) and replace the front brake cable. Other than that, after my initial issues the bike has been solid. The brakes do need constant adjustment due to my riding style.

No loss of power. Motor is still silent, low 30's on a flat. Battery still holds a decent charge after 200+ charge cycles.

Excellent! Keep that Dash dashing!

There are different compound brake pads that might serve you better. Everyone rides differently, in different terrain, with different weather.......you name it.

I found this on Amazon, but there are other listings:
http://www.amazon.com/Long-life-Pow...&sr=1-4&keywords=shimano+disc+brake+pads+b01s

Different compounds of pads will give you a different braking ability. You may want to talk to a "good" bike shop that is familiar with what other commuters are using near you. Maybe "long lasting" will not be adequate braking ability for a heavy Ebike.

And...after 200 miles, looks like my cadence sensor took a poop. (E4 error)
:(

Hang in there, Daniel (sorry)...and please keep us, your point-of-purchase and/or Currie Tech (above) informed. We''ll all do our best to help given the (more) information that you offer up during the process.

1000 miles isn't bad for city riding.... What brakes do you have? I used to own Avid BB5 and found some decent long lasting pads from Disco Engineering.

And...after 200 miles, looks like my cadence sensor took a poop. (E4 error)

:(

Daniel,
Sorry to hear about the trouble with your bike. Please have your bike shop check it out. E4 may be just connector related, and you may not need a new BB. It would be best to have them do a little inspection. I'm certain we an get a new BB out to them quickly if that is what is needed.

Things to check:
First remove the battery from the bike!
Check the wires behind the LCD Display and Button Pad.
Check the BB for damage, or off-centered wire exiting the BB shell (likely damaged wires if off centered)
Check the BB connection inside/underneath the boot, in the hole.

Back