GenZe 101

KenM.

Well for better or worse I just ordered my first e-bike!
For $1,500 plus $50 shipping , can not pass it up.
I know The Lord will take care of it for me. I will keep you up to date on how it comes in and works out.
Keep looking up! Ken.
Well today 5/12/15 the bike finally made it to Jacksonville FLA. from CAL. I guess I will not get it until Friday:(

Last edited:
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Found this box at the front door yesterday , can not be the bike, it is not supposed to be here till Friday. Is it a bomb ?

No it is the bike! Packed nice too.
Went together real good! Shifts good, breaks are adjusted right. No wobble in the front wheel, or freewheel, the back wheel has a little wobble, but not enought to bother with.

The manual is a lot to be desired. It shows how to use three front gears, and it only has one. It shows how to use the front Quick release lever, and it does not use a Quick release , it has 15mm nuts.

The LCD Display is nice and big ,the trip meter does not show 1/10 miles, just miles. Very easy to see the display, and to use the controls.

I like the manual disk breaks , no hydraulic leaks to worry about.
Will keep updates as I put on miles on it .
Keep looking up. Ken.

Last edited:
Charged it up for the first time last night. Had 52 miles on it. I know I could of went 55 miles maybe 60 miles. Took about 2 1/2 hours to charge.
I have been in pedal assist 3&4 mostly. Works OK.
It is not a fast bike, needs a taller gear in front! I can pedal my road bike at 24 mph. but I can not pedal past 18 on this one.

I met a Stromer on one ride, and I could not keep up with it. The guy said it only went 20 mph. that it was an older one,2012.

It sure is a rough ride too, I thought the big tires would help, but the road bike I have is a smother ride. And you sure can not ride with hands off the bars! I thought the big tires would help here too, but nope. I do not know why it will not stay straight , must be it the geometry ! Keep safe, and keep looking up! Ken.

Oh yes, one other thing the manual does not tell you is how to reset the trip meter, I tried everything that I could , and could not reset it. I thought maybe when you take out the battery and charge it , the trip meter would reset itself . Nope.
Will have to call GenZe tomorrow . Ken.

Last edited:
Make sure the wheels are trued or get a LBS to assist you.

Suspension seat post for the win! (I can personally recommend a Suntour NCX-12, which is less costly than the others).

I'm surprised you can't pedal past 18 mph. On my (slow) Easy Motion EVO Street, I can get the speed up to about 22 with hard pedaling and pedal assist on boost mode. Ah well, every bike is different. If you have a good working range of 55 miles, I'd say that's a winner! My range is somewhere around 35-ish.

Thank you Power Me, yes the wheel trueing is one of the first things I check when I get a bike.
It needs a taller sprocket in the front, then it will be good .
It feels like the batteries are starting to come alive, It felt like I did not have to pedal so hard today! Thank you . Ken.

First, very nice, cool, and stealth looking bike. EBR rates this at about 20mph in pedal assist so you are very close and it depends on terrain and weight obviously. You can always add a suspension seat post and new saddle to make the ride smoother. I added a BodyFloat and Brooks B17 aged saddle and the ride could not be any better. Keep us up to date on how it is working. Looks like you may be one of the first here, or first, to own this bike and that is cool. Would be boring if everyone had the same ebike. Have fun.

Thank you sir! Yes all it needs is a larger front sprocket and it will be good. I have not counted the teeth on it , but just measured it compared it my road bike, and it is about 1/2 inch smaller. The rough ride , I can deal with. Might change the hand grips . They are hard as rocks! I hit a dip in the road, that I did not know was there, and one hand slipped off the bar , right with a pickup truck right behind me! That was a little scarey. Thanks for your reply. Keep looking up! Ken.

I finaly counted the teeth on the front sprockets of the Schwinn road bike I have (52), the GenZe (47). That is why I can not pedal 20mph. on it. When I have to replace the chain I will look into getting a larger front sprocket . Ken.

I went to the GenZe store in Palo Alto this weekend and they seemed to have a quality fit and finish. I am a little surprised, though, that they're not engineered to go beyond 18mph. That seems like a major design flaw, even for an inexpensive ebike. Seems like they ought to have thought about outfitting it with a front suspension, too, but I guess that might've increased the price by $50-$100. Keep us in the loop about your riding experiences, because I think we're all really interested in knowing more about how the GenZe performs, Ken!

I went to the GenZe store in Palo Alto this weekend and they seemed to have a quality fit and finish. I am a little surprised, though, that they're not engineered to go beyond 18mph. That seems like a major design flaw, even for an inexpensive ebike. Seems like they ought to have thought about outfitting it with a front suspension, too, but I guess that might've increased the price by $50-$100. Keep us in the loop about your riding experiences, because I think we're all really interested in knowing more about how the GenZe performs, Ken!

Ken,
I just checked that out: if you toggle the power levels to "0" then, hold down that minus button, it will clear the trip odo.
Also, FYI: after the unit is on, a second short push on the power button will turn on the backlight.
Hope you're find an electric bike putting a smile on your face while climbing long hills!
Alan

Don't know if I previously screwed up a reply, twice!?

Alan, there are no long hills in this part of Florida ! But like you said it sure is fun going over the bridges now. And the wind is the big thing down here. How I can ride in a 20mph. head wind and still go 13mph. And smile all the way!
Thank you again for telling me how to reset the trip meter.
Looks like this is another one of those companies that have No customer service. I will post more on this as I try them again tomorrow . Keep looking up ! Ken.

Well putting the second charge on the battery right now . Got 54 miles this time and still have one bar left.
It kind of surprised me, I did a lot of stop and go this 54 miles, picking up aluminum cans,( hay, I have to pay for bike somehow)!
Bike is working good. Can not say anything good about GenZe costumer service. Tried to ask questions that the manual does not cover. Called them twice a day for three days , left five massages, one e-mail. No reply at all .
When I called their sales department before I bought their bike , they were so nice,( but what sales person is not), answered all my questions , even told me to buy the bike from Amazon , instead of them derect, I would save on shipping . She did not know herself what shipping would be, so she called their shipping department , and found out their last shipment to Florida cost $160. When I bought it from Amazon the shipping was $50. So I thought that was a sign of a good company , that would save me $110.
I am tired of messing with them now . I will try next week to see if I can talk to anyone there. Keep looking up! Ken.

Put the third charge in last night, 55 miles this time, did not stop so many times this time. Still got a lot of cans though!
The battery was still flashing the second bar this time instead of just the last bar. I still think it will go 60 miles on a charge!
The charge usually takes 2 1/2 hours. I thought it would be less this time , because of still having the second bar up.
But it was three hours and it was still charging, the battery had all five lights lit up, and it was time to go to bed, so I just unplugged it. Did not want to worry about falling asleep with the charger still on.
I hope their is nothing wrong with the charger already . Ken.

Back