10 Different bike saddles, and still a sore ass

GuruUno

There is no magic bullet. I cannot find the perfect companion for my riding pleasure.
I may have to consider giving up the sport, it remains painful to ride and not to say expensive.
10 different bike saddles.JPG

There is no magic bullet. I cannot find the perfect companion for my riding pleasure.
I may have to consider giving up the sport, it remains painful to ride and not to say expensive.
View attachment 153936
Have you given Cloud 9 a test drive?

Nope, why are these any different?

i have Cloud 9 on all my bikes.

its also power setup thats critical. there is no magic bullet. maybe time to go to a good shop and-at them to help set up the bike for you. plus good added shorts help too.

Nope, why are these any different?
They are more comfortable compared to some saddles. Since they are not part of the 10 you tried, may be worth a try.
Also, what exactly is wrong with the ones you tried? Give some info and maybe someone here has experienced the same issues.

I've tried & rejected 5. Most expensive was a Selle Royale Respiro . Garbage. The saddle I'm riding now is unbearable after 3.5 hours. Evo 260 mm. Much wider & more cushioned than anything you have tried.
Evo Cruiser Saddle, 260 x 218mm, Black
$31.99
Unfortunately my bike has a odd diameter seat post transitioning to rails for Brooks, so I can't try a cloud9. I had a brooks, it was worse than the above. The Yuba seat that came with the bike must have been made for women, cylindrical shape did not work for me. Like riding a lean horse without the saddle.
Schwinn from grocery store was wider, but harder. The "springs" were plastic decorations, no give at all. My mother's 1946 firestone had real springs; the seat would rock from side to side as I pedalled. Saved that seat when Dad scrapped the 80 lb bike, but a burglar stole it. Couldn't use it on a bike with rails, it took a 1/2" seat post.
Workman was wider & softer, but required 1/2" seat post. The rail to seat post adapter I built would not stay straight and the rail broke once and I had to push the bike 3 miles to a guy's shop to give me & bike a ride 17 miles to town.
I'm looking for some seat 260 mm or more wide that has a 4" sofa thick cushion built in. I lost all the fat on my hips 8 years ago. Fat won't go away on my belly, just my hips arms legs & face. (&#$_@)%(*

Last edited:
I've tried & rejected 5. The one I'm riding now is unbearable after 3.5 hours. Evo 260 mm. Much wider & more cushioned than anything you have tried.
Evo Cruiser Saddle, 260 x 218mm, Black
$31.99
I'm looking for something that wide that has a 4" sofa cushion built in. I lost all the fat on my hips 8 years ago. Won't go away on my belly, just my hips arms & face. (&#$_@)%(*
Looking at that saddle, Cloud 9 should have something.

Our Sofa saddle is one of our largest cruiser saddle. . . . Pillar style clamp included
pillar style clamps don't fit my bike. My bike's pillar is 32 mm, not 13 or 14.
The rail to pillar converter I built for the workman saddle was a huge failure. The pillar rotated frequently taking the seat with it, & the 5/16" all thread I used for rails broke under my enormous 160 lb. 8 mm rod and set collars for rails didn't break but the seat kept rotating.

Most bike riders just getting started or restarted into biking, get sore on their first week or 2 of riding. It's my opinion that most of those seats you featured in your op would be fine if you gave them some time. jmho

View attachment 153936
You must have quite the ass 🫣

I always wonder if a problem like that is due to a lot more factors than just the saddle (like bike fit, good padded chamois shorts, fitness level and health, etc)?

You must have quite the ass 🫣

I always wonder if a problem like that is due to a lot more factors than just the saddle (like bike fit, good padded chamois shorts, fitness level and health, etc)?
I have over 30,00 mils on a saddle that works great but the nI am tried or weak it feels hard as a rock and its soft.

1684469187644.png

If you let me choose Guru, I would select the one marked with the arrow. It is of the shape I really prefer now, giving me multiple butt positions on a long ride (did I tell you I recently was on a 129 mile ride to make as many as 242 miles in three days? Yes, that hurt!)

1684469698072.png

My favourite saddle that I use on my Vado SL. I unwisely replaced it with a Selle Royal Respiro Moderate one in the beginning to return to the stock Specialized Bridge Sport as the best of my seats!

No saddle will help you if your whole body weight rests on the saddle. You are going to do something fundamental to shift a good part of your body weight forward. (Was not it you who "Comoized" your Vado?) Talk to a bike-fitter if you haven't done so yet. Get rid of your curved handlebars if you haven't done so already. Think of experimenting a lot with your saddle angle and forward/rearward position.

Trust me: I know what the butt ache is. I know a lot about groin abrasion and the like. The only thing that helps getting rid of the butt pain is shifting the body position forward on the bike. Know why? Because I cannot shift my body position any more forward on my Vado 6.0 and I suffer on the Specialized Phenom Expert but only on extreme rides. No butt pain on my Vado SL that gave me the chance to ride in a true forward position!

There are hundreds of posts here on saddle comfort, and as you say, there is no magic bullet.

I went trough a dozen myself with little improvement in my "buttitis". It became quite expensive until I started dealing with places that let you try before you buy.

There are many ways to improve riding comfort that don't involve the saddle. I got the most relief when I started using padded bike undershorts and a quality suspension seatpost.

Unfortunately, every rider's anatomy is different and each has to find out what works best.

I hate to be harsh but how old are you? Are the roads you ride on rough? About my longest ride is 3.5 hours and I’m pretty sore on the backside after getting off. When I was 21 I could ride that long and not be that sore. I’m 61 now and weigh 40 pounds more so now it hurts. I hate to say it’s normal but for me it is.

Back