1 Year Review Specialized Vado 4 (3000 miles)

Sefutau2020

Region
USA
City
Northern VA
I've been fortunate enough to own the Specialized Vado 4 e-bike for over a year now, and I am thrilled to say that it has provided me with 3,000 trouble-free miles of riding pleasure. From its impressive 70 Nm of torque to its exceptional performance, this bike has exceeded my expectations in numerous ways.

One of the standout features of the Vado 4 is its speed. While I wouldn't describe it as exceptionally powerful, it certainly packs a punch and delivers a thrilling ride. I primarily use the ECO mode, with the assistance set at 35/35, but occasionally I switch to Sport mode, which gives me a bit more oomph at 40/100. Even in ECO mode, I was able to embark on an astounding 62-mile ride and return home with 28% battery life remaining. That level of endurance is truly impressive and showcases the Vado 4's efficiency and battery management capabilities.

Comfort is another area where this e-bike shines. I have spent countless hours in the saddle, and the Vado 4's design ensures a supremely comfortable riding experience. It strikes the perfect balance between agility and stability, making it suitable for various terrains and riding conditions. While there were moments when I wished I had opted for the Vado 5 with its extra power, the Vado 4 has never left me feeling underpowered. It handles inclines and challenging routes with ease, instilling confidence in every ride.

The only area where I have found room for improvement is the brakes. While they aren't bad by any means, they could benefit from enhanced responsiveness and stopping power. Nonetheless, this minor concern does not overshadow the overall excellence of the Vado 4.

One aspect that has truly impressed me is the durability and reliability of this bike. Aside from encountering an error code on two separate rides, which was effortlessly resolved by a simple power cycle, I have experienced no significant issues. The Vado 4 has proven to be a robust and trustworthy companion, ensuring that my rides are uninterrupted and enjoyable.

I made the decision to equip my Vado 4 with Schwalbe Super Moto X tires right from the start, and they have served me well. With just one flat tire incident, which occurred while the bike was stationary, I have been extremely satisfied with their performance. The tires offer excellent traction and stability, enhancing the overall ride quality.

Considering the price point, the Specialized Vado 4 offers exceptional value for money. It boasts a range of impressive features, and in my opinion, no modifications are necessary. This e-bike has become my all-time favorite, and I am confident that it will continue to provide me with countless miles of joyful riding for years to come.

I wish I started my e-bike adventure with your generation of Vado! With all my experience, the Vado 4.0 (Mastermind) is the sweet point of the capabilities and the price! I'm jealous of your 710 Wh battery: It would allow me getting on the majority of my rides on a single battery, as my favourite distances are between 50 and 72 miles (and my older Vado requires taking a spare battery for such distances).

Regarding the brakes: Have you serviced them? I feel the new brake pads are a must! As well as cleaning/degreasing the brake rotors.

I wish I started my e-bike adventure with your generation of Vado! With all my experience, the Vado 4.0 (Mastermind) is the sweet point of the capabilities and the price! I'm jealous of your 710 Wh battery: It would allow me getting on the majority of my rides on a single battery, as my favourite distances are between 50 and 72 miles (and my older Vado requires taking a spare battery for such distances).

Regarding the brakes: Have you serviced them? I feel the new brake pads are a must! As well as cleaning/degreasing the brake rotors.
Yes sir, the brakes have been serviced......one year check-up. Then brakes aren't bad, but to me not as strong as the ones on the 8s and Fastroad. The 710 watt battery is great. Like you, I like the long rides, so being able to ride in Sport mode for 45 miles, and still have some battery left, is great. Thanks.

Technically speaking, you could upgrade your front brake to the next level (the front brake takes 70% of the whole stopping power).

Technically speaking, you could upgrade your front brake to the next level (the front brake takes 70% of the whole stopping power).
Great point Stefan....I might just consider doing that. I know some folks hate to hear us go on and on concerning Specialized products, but frankly they are just that good. Supreme bicycle engineering. Take care.

Did they do a brake bleed at the service? The back break on my Vado 5.0 was pretty spongy and getting worse. Having that set bled firmed it up nicely.

Back