Proper seats/saddles (especially for an e-bike)

Oh my, It may be time to consider packing it in. Woe is me. :(
Dude... Why are you beating yourself up?
First and foremost measure your bike rides by enjoyment, not distance traveled. I measure mine by time spent in the sun.
If you need to take breaks during a ride, do so. Bring a piece of fruit and some chocolate covered espresso beans and make it something you look forward to.
Realize all these measurements are geared towards the young. Not that they aren't useful but they don't take into account an aging more delicate body so you'll still have to final fit to your bodies limitations.
I do agree with the comment above... a saddle too high is far worse than too low and puts more stress on your knees by over extending... especially damaging as we age.
Your search for the utopian solution is robbing you of the reason we ride... well at least why I ride.
Enjoy.. it's awesome weather here in the NE this week.

I've missed quite a bit of the party in the last day or so, but thought I would chime in and reiterate the negative waves sent over on the PNW Coast suspension dropper. In fairness, PNW discloses up front the Coast is not a suspension post per se. Its shock absorption action is purely designed to take the edge off the worst bumps. I also found that when it does this its pretty slow in doing it - which is consistent with its advertised purpose. so if you take a big hit the thing compresses (screwing up your leg angles if pedaling I might add) and then it takes a half second or so for it to rebound. Thats nothing like the speed a typical suspension post recovers in.

But for me the real issue was it doesn't hold air in perpetuity. Which is not a shock as nothing does. But having to keep it topped up every few rides is an additional piece of maintenance I don't need, and coupled to its reduced functionality as a suspension post, caused me to remove it. Oh and also the damn cable was hanging up on me after awhile which didn't improve my mood.

If you want a dropper get a good dropper and don't try to do two things at once.

The posts here have inspired me to reinvent my seat height, setback, reach, and posture. Early results look promising.

My return to cycling has been complicated by both lack of practice and peripheral neuropathy (due to an intervening surgical complication). Result: Some difficulty with balance on my feet, but none on a bike once above 4 mph or so.

Playing the trade-offs as best I could at the time, I set the seat as high as possible with both tip toes still on the ground at stops. To gain back some of the lost extension, I then maxed out saddle setback and adjusted the stem and grip angles accordingly for a back-friendly upright posture.

Fast forward 6 months to the present. Legs are stronger, low-speed balance is better, and I'm getting better at stops off the seat with ever-higher seat positions. Result: Ever-happier knees.

Using the info and tools here, it's now time to tackle butt pain — the only remaining barrier to rides longer than 25 miles. The main trade-off now will be between butt pain in the saddle and back pain afterward.

I go through all this to remind folks here (1) that getting all this right gets a lot more complicated when medical issues enter the picture, and (2) that some riders will need to work up to their own optimal configuration.

Meanwhile, I'm trying those padded undershorts @6zfshdb showed us.

Last edited:
it's now time to tackle butt pain — the only remaining barrier to rides longer than 25 miles.
Funny you mention that. All the time I was riding upright and with fat saddles, I was starting feeling the ache at that distance! Yes, I was even riding Imperial Centuries but at what a price! Now (trust me), a Metric Century is when I feel a little worry the butt ache might return :) I'm rather thinking of how tired I am though! :)

I wanted to tackle the issue of having a seatpost too low.

I have two identical setups (Surly Ogres) with every part identical except for the motor type (GMAC vs BBSHD) and suspension seatpost type (Redshift(GMAC) Vs Kinekt(BBSHD)). Lets call GMAC bike1 and BBSHD bike2.

I ride pretty much everyday(except for winter, slowing down to only a few hundred miles a month) averaging about 25 miles per ride.

Around last August, I started noticing hip joint pain on my right side (ironically I have had two severe injuries on my left side...broken femur and fractured pelvis). It progressively got worse. It got so bad I started having issues with everyday life like simply walking. The sharp pain could be enough to put me on the ground so every morning was interesting till I figured out what the day would feel like.

My first thought was that I had the saddle height too high, so I lowered both bike seat heights by 1/2 inch. This didnt really fix anything but I did notice that I had more pain after riding bike2. I started having to limit riding which wasnt a big deal due to winter anywho. I figured my age was just catching up with me.

My second thought was problems due to the wider q-factor of the BBSHD which is offset more on the right side as that was the bike that caused more pain and on the right side. I almost gave up on the BBSHD.

Oh a whim I decided to actually measure the seat heights and Bike #2 was about 1/2 lower than bike#1.

I have always used the method of just touching the pedal at full leg extension like in the video (around 1:04)

So I redid my saddle height on both bikes and the pain has slowly gone away. My hip joint actually feels better after a ride now.

Ironically, the trails have started to dry up enough to bring out my Turbo Levo and after my first ride, I had quite as bit of pain after only a short ride. Raising the seat 3/4 inch has solved that issue

On the subject of butt soreness, I only recently started encountering it in the last few years.

All my riding is on flat handlebars.

What has changed? I have slowly been raising handlebar height due hand numbness. There can be all sorts of reasons for this (age, weight, core strength). At one time (late 20s) my handlebar height was 3 inches below the seat. Around 2018 handlebars were 1 inch lower than saddle, These days they are at the same height.

With every increase in handlebar height, I noticed a few things due to more weight moving to the rear wheel.
Reduced front end grip
More saddle soreness

As stefan has mentioned, lowering the handlebars can fix butt soreness that but thats an individual thing and might not work for everyone. I do recall stefan debating me on this back in 2019 when he was a fan of stem risers. Good to see he came around to the truth.

About a year ago, I started getting more saddle sores, they got really bad (I was riding in underwear, then padded shorts...no chamois creme)

I have recently changed to cycling liner shorts and chamois butter. My mileage used to be limited by butt soreness, not anymore

Many good short liners, I like pear izumi and usually get them on sale ($30). I have tried about 5 brands and the izumis feel the best...for me
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XLT7CS5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Chamois butter
https://www.amazon.com/Chamois-Buttr-Original-Anti-Chafe-Cream/dp/B000HZGTUS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=OKH1F8PD7RKX&keywords=chamois+butter&qid=1681360943&sprefix=chamoix+butter,aps,122&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSTZTSlQxNVoySjZPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTg5MDExMTZNQjNIVlNWUjFYOCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDQ2NTkxN1JPSzRaS1dNVjY3JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Last edited:
So, is the general consensus of the end result of this discussion that no matter what, it's all a pain in the ass?
What about your "armpit test"?
As stefan has mentioned, lowering the handlebars can fix butt soreness that but thats an individual thing and might not work for everyone. I do recall stefan debating me on this back in 2019 when he was a fan of stem risers. Good to see he came around to the truth.
I concede. You were right on that.

What about your "armpit test"?

I concede. You were right on that.
RE:What about your "armpit test"?
I had to raise the seat about 1", made a BIG difference!
Also moved the seat back similar to where yours is, also, adjusted the Kinekt seat post tension to '#4' similar to yours, and tilted it a bit more flat than it previously was.
All in all, much better, did about 25 miles today, 12 or so yesterday, just a tad sore, but nothing like before.
I also ordered a new pair of chamois/padded liners (the ones I have may have been more than a few years old, so I'm sure they too may have been worn out).
I may just have to send you some Gołąbki and Chruściki for all of your helpful comments. Not many persons take the time (and much appreciation to all of the others who have contributed to this thread).
IMG_2159.JPG

RE:What about your "armpit test"?
I had to raise the seat about 1", made a BIG difference!
Also moved the seat back similar to where yours is, also, adjusted the Kinekt seat post tension to '#4' similar to yours, and tilted it a bit more flat than it previously was.
All in all, much better, did about 25 miles today, 12 or so yesterday, just a tad sore, but nothing like before.
I also ordered a new pair of chamois/padded liners (the ones I have may have been more than a few years old, so I'm sure they too may have been worn out).
I may just have to send you some Gołąbki and Chruściki for all of your helpful comments. Not many persons take the time (and much appreciation to all of the others who have contributed to this thread).
View attachment 151609
excellent progress! looks fairly believable now. do you have any way to adjust the handlebars up/down and forward/back?

concur on the replacement of the shorts, the pads do compress and wear out. also make sure you've fully healed before you push it, and only increase ride distance gradually. e-bikes make it VERY tempting to just keep going, since the motor is taking care of what would normally be ride-ending leg/cardio fatigue lol.

Excuse the dirty bike, but did a 62 mile ride yesterday and have not have the chance to clean it yet. This is most comfortable seat / seat post combination I have found. The seat post is the Ergon CF3 split carbon, which acts like a leaf spring and give the same level of damping as the futureshock. The seat is SQ Labs 60X, that give 3 different level the sit on and it very comfy. The Aussie bike fitter Neil Stanbury highly recommends these and I agree.

Attachments

• 0G6A5468.JPG
    0G6A5468.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 128
Excuse the dirty bike, but did a 62 mile ride yesterday and have not have the chance to clean it yet. This is most comfortable seat / seat post combination I have found. The seat post is the Ergon CF3 split carbon, which acts like a leaf spring and give the same level of damping as the futureshock. The seat is SQ Labs 60X, that give 3 different level the sit on and it very comfy. The Aussie bike fitter Neil Stanbury highly recommends these and I agree.

With all the positive comments about the Ergon grips, I'm surprised more folks aren't using Ergon saddles. Two years plus to date and all my other saddles are now vitamin D deficient.

With all the positive comments about the Ergon grips, I'm surprised more folks aren't using Ergon saddles. Two years plus to date and all my other saddles are now vitamin D deficient.
I used to ride Ergon ST Prime Men saddle and it was not good for me. Too wide in the first place.

I'm apparently too short (Medium Creo) to use Ergon CF3 split carbon post. It runs into the boss for the water bottle cage on the inside of the seat tube.

I think as far as saddles go, most newbie riders including myself panic early and opt for a cushy seat (Cloud 9 type), when in reality you should ride for awhile on the stock seats (most are fine) and break your butt in and get over the soreness. I have a few extra zelle and who knows what brands in my garage due to early panic.

Back