Proper seats/saddles (especially for an e-bike)

So last week the Dr. said to use Duo Derm pads..I did, made it worse.
Today, Dermatologist said to use Cortisone thin layer with Desitin over that.
Not sure that is sound advice, as Cortisone thins the skin.
Next stop, Sports Medicine doctor.
In the meantime, have to restrict bike riding :(

Today, Dermatologist said to use Cortisone thin layer with Desitin over that.
Not sure that is sound advice, as Cortisone thins the skin.
Granted, the Cortisone is kinda counterintuitive. But the inflammatory response to a wound can sometimes get in the way of healing. That's when a short course of a topical steroid makes sense.

Skin thinning is more a complication of long-term use, but run it past the sports medicine doc if you're hesitant.

As an aside, the zinc oxide in Desitin isn't just an inert ingredient. It has powerful healing properties on its own.

Nowadays, saddles have been designed with shorter and flatter noses in recent years which distribute the pressure evenly across the sit bones and reduce the pressure on the perineal area, making for a more comfortable and healthy ride. You should sit on the crook of the saddle to have equal distribution and avoid too much pressure on your sit bones. Having a proper sitting position will help you for optimal performance, power generation, endurance, and injury prevention.

Last edited:
A Report From A Gravel Ultramarathon (160 miles nominal distance)

I rode for 263.46 km (163.7 mi) spending 12 hours and 17 minutes in the saddle total (the ride was shared by two e-bikes: Vado 6.0, and Vado SL, of which the former was used for 28% of the ride only). It was the first long ride when I felt no issues with the butt pain! I swear!

Vado SL (my principal ride) was equipped with the stock Specialized Bridge Sport saddle (I love it), while Vado 6.0 had a Specialized Phenom Expert installed.

The secret was I had those two e-bikes equipped with long stems (100 or 120 mm), both "slammed" (-6 deg or -12 deg). All that made my riding position really forward on both e-bikes. I also often ride with my forearms on the horizontal, as I'm riding in SQLab Innerbarends grips, similar to the drop-bar hoods. The forward riding position and the proper saddle height made a lot of my body weight shift onto my hands and legs. I wore fingerless Specialized Dual Gel gloves on my ride.

1687246839813.png

Such is the intended riding position on a Vado SL if the bike size is fit to the rider's body.

Last edited:
Everyone has a different butt, what's comfortable for one may not be the same for everyone else.
Being an avid cyclist for the last 35+ years, I've learned that padded bike shorts can provide more than just seat comfort.
The form-fitting padding and spandex provide extra support the glutes muscles, crucial to provide comfort for long hours in the saddle.
For longer rides, I even double up (wear two pairs of bike shorts) if needed.

Saddle height is also very personal, I change mine according to the length of ride and my physical condition/flexibility.
In the wintertime when I'm less flexible, I tend to use shorter crankarms, lower seat height.
At the height of cycling season when I'm in shape, more flexible, I would raise my seat height just few mm for full leg extension & power output.

Trial & error to determine what suits you & your riding the most.
After an injury, I even tried recumbent bikes some 20 years ago; they turned out to be the best way to log miles over long distance & long saddle time for me.

Some overly fat members of these Forums, riding their mini-mopeds on spring sofas will never enjoy that kind of ride :)

1687336340748.png

So you guys are compensating for your sorry life by being rude? :D

1687336505836.png

This is a proper saddle for an ultra ride in rough terrain!

Wow, this is a very informative thread. I am currently on my own Ass-to-Saddle journey in search of butt Nirvana. What I can confirm from my experience, as others have stated here, there is no point in even attempting to solve this problem while you are injured because you can't feel anything normally until you are 100% healed. It's like trying to find comfortable shoes while your feet are fractured, you have no objective frame of reference beyond the pain caused by your injury. You could find the perfect saddle and position but the pain will not allow you to feel the perfection!

Wow Stefan that was some ride!! I totally agree with you re riding position…..upright and a soft saddle are great for short trips but on a long ride usually (for most people) cause all sorts of abrasion issues. Regarding None’s suggestion of changing saddle height we should be aware that an incorrect height can be pretty inefficient and often cause knee problems.
I followed Stevan’s advice on inner bar ends a while ago and as he said find the extra hand/body position a considerable help on windy days and long rides. (Thanks Stefan 🙂).

Wow Stefan that was some ride!! I totally agree with you re riding position…..upright and a soft saddle are great for short trips but on a long ride usually (for most people) cause all sorts of abrasion issues. Regarding None’s suggestion of changing saddle height we should be aware that an incorrect height can be pretty inefficient and often cause knee problems.
I followed Stevan’s advice on inner bar ends a while ago and as he said find the extra hand/body position a considerable help on windy days and long rides. (Thanks Stefan 🙂).
I had my butt as damaged after recent long rides as I hardly could sit in the chair. I did some experiments such as placing a thick pillow on the chair - no help! Whatever soft object you are putting under your ass it doesn't make it comfortable! Surprisingly, a plain firm chair was the best! The only seat that felt better than a regular chair was a very deep sofa... But you cannot pedal sitting on the sofa! 🤣

(A single day of rest and I can ride again! Good "barrier" creme does wonders!)

Definitely going to try those padded undershorts. I like to ride in cargo pants or shorts, and they appeal to my inner baboon.
With all of the advice shared in this thread, one tidbit I haven't seen is to point out these shorts are commonly pictured inside-out. Wearing them baboon-style is sub-optimal. Lots of newbies in the ebike world so I thought, in the spirit of free information sharing, this should be said out loud somewhere.

718SiLywMTL._AC_UX679_[1].jpg

Back