1 Million mile EV battery

As noted shipping issues are not going to go away but the real problem is the proprietary systems that the manufacturers use that makes it almost impossible for there to be battery rental programs throughout the country. In fact it makes more sense to just rent a whole bike and chances are good that if you are visiting an area of any size population wise that may already be available. Flying with a bike is a PITA even without the battery restrictions to begin with anyway.

To me the million mile battery means a longer life span and if made correctly will have years of use potential before it needs replacement and most importantly recycling. Recently it was announced that Specialized has made a partnership with JB Staubel to get out ahead of battery disposal/recycling:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/18/22335988/specialized-redwood-ebike-battery-recycle-straubel-tesla

I feel this is a good idea and it is good to get in place to meet the demand that is being generated by batteries with 500-1000 charge cycles that will become an issue in the next few years. Even longer life span batteries like the cyber cell type as proposed by Professor Dahn and his researchers will eventually need recycling but as they point out in the article above bikes will outlast the batteries but with 5000 charge cycles I would say that would flip into the batteries favor.

Thanks for keeping us up to date Ravi!

To me the million mile battery means a longer life span and if made correctly will have years of use potential before it needs replacement and most importantly recycling. Recently it was announced that Specialized has made a partnership with JB Staubel to get out ahead of battery disposal/recycling:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/18/22335988/specialized-redwood-ebike-battery-recycle-straubel-tesla

I feel this is a good idea and it is good to get in place to meet the demand that is being generated by batteries with 500-1000 charge cycles that will become an issue in the next few years. Even longer life span batteries like the cyber cell type as proposed by Professor Dahn and his researchers will eventually need recycling but as they point out in the article above bikes will outlast the batteries but with 5000 charge cycles I would say that would flip into the batteries favor.

Thanks for keeping us up to date Ravi!
We already have technology to extend battery life for e-bikes, using readily available technology - managing the depth of discharge. But customers aren't aware of it and aren't demanding it, and battery replacements are a significant source of industry profit, so industry adopt it unilaterally either.

Recycling allows the industry to reduce waste compared to simply trashing batteries, while also avoids cannibalizing industry profits through damping used bike sales, not great for customers. It's a truism around here that buying a used ebike is dicey because who knows what the battery's lifespan is, and a new battery can cost more than the used bike's value. That makes used sales a lot less appetizing, and the industry likes it that way. Even keeping the same ebike longer than the first battery can become a bit of an open question, because you can buy a new ebike instead of a $1000 battery. Turns a bike from a car-like lifecycle to a smartphone like-one.

Bike brands have to ally with dealers, who get some revenue from repairs, so the financial disdain for long lasting bikes is subdued. Repairs are still only 5-12% of revenue*. But the videogame industry is a good example of where it's a lot more clear (and also why the gaming industry perennially tries to get rid of DVDs and shift to online downloads where resale is impossible).

* https://www.bicycleretailer.com/opinion-analysis/2013/06/14/blog-formula-high-profit-bike-stores#:~:text=Focus on repair parts and,even more significant going forward.

Last edited:
We already have technology to extend battery life for e-bikes, using readily available technology - managing the depth of discharge. But customers aren't aware of it and aren't demanding it, and battery replacements are a significant source of industry profit, so industry adopt it unilaterally either.

Recycling allows the industry to reduce waste compared to simply trashing batteries, while also avoids cannibalizing industry profits through damping used bike sales, not great for customers. It's a truism around here that buying a used ebike is dicey because who knows what the battery's lifespan is, and a new battery can cost more than the used bike's value. That makes used sales a lot less appetizing, and the industry likes it that way. Even keeping the same ebike longer than the first battery can become a bit of an open question, because you can buy a new one. Turns a bike from a car-like lifecycle to a smartphone like-one.
Part of why I have two batteries even though with a 48v 21Ah battery I have yet to need two for a ride is the thought I hope I can send one off to be rebuilt in case of failure leaving me with one to ride with. Hope springs eternal.

Creating an ebike battery standard is an interesting prospect, and I'm sympathetic. It would just take a level of government intervention so far beyond what's currently happening. Right now we have a brand with ~70% of the European market, Bosch, and none of the antitrust enforcers seem to care. Even if you're not Bosch, the industry has a stake in keeping things proprietary, because as above, batteries = profits. (Ironically it's the opposite in cars, because the batteries aren't easily replaceable and people have firm expectations with cars of them lasting ~20 years.)

That said, the EU has mandated common plugs on mobile devices. Even standardizing just the charging port would be great, though I imagine there are more difficulties there (eg different voltages?).

The Canadian Govt is investing in battery research at Dalhousie to bring the cost of batteries down and increase the cycle life.
We are grateful to have Novonix on Zen's advisory team.

Just like we have the National Science Foundation (NSF) in the U.S, Canada has NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council), and together with Novonix, Dalhousie will receive $3.3M over the next 3 years.

Novonix is expanding rapidly in the US to build the battery material supply chain.
They acquired Alstom's building in Chattanooga and with an investment of $160 million, this will create ~300 jobs in the Hamilton county of Tennessee in the immediate future.

Tennessee Governor welcomed this move and bringing jobs back into Hamilton county. At a time when most companies outsource manufacturing jobs to China or Mexico, establishing a supply chain + manufacturing base here in the US is awesome for the EV industry.

Novonix just received $150 Million funding from Phillips 66 for 16% stake in the company, raising the company valuation to ~$1 billion.
The founder of Novonix is also advising Zen E-bikes and would be a core member of the board in the coming days. Our location in Halifax will be right next to Novonix. We are honored to be working with these scientists who are at the cutting-edge of EV revolution.

Our investors and advisors at Novonix were selected by the US Department of Energy to receive a $150M grant to build the domestic supply chain for critical battery anode materials.

Novonix will be further investing $850M into this project from their own sources. Novonix will be building a massive plant in Tennesee and creating 400 high-tech jobs.

1666364740741.png

yea, $nvnxf and few other tickers in the EV battery metals section have amazing potential. Invest now or cry later 😅
Congratrz to those who followed my advice and bought a few thousand shares or less. This one will easily go to 7-8$ within a year. Now add a few Strombers or Unspecialized ebikes to ur garage.

Attachments

• FE2455BE-ECC0-4D02-8A89-F8A000BF635C.png
    FE2455BE-ECC0-4D02-8A89-F8A000BF635C.png
    231.1 KB · Views: 161
Congratrz to those who followed my advice and bought a few thousand shares or less. This one will easily go to 7-8$ within a year. Now add a few Strombers or Unspecialized ebikes to ur garage.
Quick question @Ebiker01. Are your shares Nasdaq: NVX(ADR's), or OTCQX: NVNXF? Is there any material difference?
Thanks

Back