Would you do it ? 300$ for 72 wh extra

Ebiker01

I won’t name the company but is a reputable one , i’m very happy with their battery rebuilds.
Before -2years ago when i was a ebike newbie, i had another company do a upgrade from 416wh to 500wh for 500$ 🧐 ! That, now i consider a mistake on my part as i deemed it to have been to expensive. But that’s how the ebike market is...

For the new battery rebuild i have a 48/12.6ah with great 6months old only cells.

So from 12.6 to 14ah is 300$ and i can get the cells back . Could use them for a project build later on.

Is worth saying that a new BH 602wh is “only” 750$. Maybe better get another one and carry it...

It has now 602wh , i would get 672wh. I wish it could have been 700wh. That would made me say yes a lot easier.

What are the other members opinions ?

Last edited:
Although it can be a bit cumbersome to carry, I would put the money toward a second battery. As well as extending your range, it can also come in handy if something happens to your primary battery or you just forget to recharge it.

There's no way I would spend that much money for that small of an upgrade.

For the money you are talking, I would go shopping for a new battery that would likely end up costing less.

This person currently doing your work seems pretty proud of their work.

Consider this. A cheaper battery with the same specs could quit completely, be replaced, and still be less than the price of one of your upgrades....

I take it your choices are a factory BH 602WH battery for $750, vs rebuilding your current pack to 48V/14AH 672WH for $300. If you buy the first one, you still have your old battery which is 48V/11.6AH or 556 WH, call it 500wh.

Do you know the make/model of the cells going into the rebuild? A full rebuild will require 52 or 65 cells because 48V packs are made with multiples of 13 cells, with a 13x4 array being popular. I wonder what kind of cells he can use for $300.

There is a company that rebuilds batteries for about that price that I have heard of, they use panasonic, samsung, and LG cells only. Court did a video on them a while back.

IMO i would wait until that battery needs to be rebuilt before getting it upgraded.

I take it your choices are a factory BH 602WH battery for $750, vs rebuilding your current pack to 48V/14AH 672WH for $300. If you buy the first one, you still have your old battery which is 48V/11.6AH or 556 WH, call it 500wh.

Do you know the make/model of the cells going into the rebuild? A full rebuild will require 52 or 65 cells because 48V packs are made with multiples of 13 cells, with a 13x4 array being popular. I wonder what kind of cells he can use for $300.

I made a mistake, is a 48x12.6 ah, yes the BH 602wh.
Don’t know what cells yet, is the company described in the video right above my post.
Do you think they could use the 21700cells instead and get a higher WH ?

It seems like a capable operation, They probably slip one of those ready-made blue packs from overseas into your case for 300 bucks. I don't think you can sell a battery for $300 if you need 52 cells spot welded by a US worker, and then soldered up with a BMS.

Best 18650 cell you can get is 3.5AH. It would be 10.6AH with 39 cells, 14AH with 52 cells and 17.5AH with 65 cells, but the latter might not fit your case.

It seems like a capable operation, They probably slip one of those ready-made blue packs from overseas into your case for 300 bucks. I don't think you can sell a battery for $300 if you need 52 cells spot welded by a US worker, and then soldered up with a BMS.

Best 18650 cell you can get is 3.5AH. It would be 10.6AH with 39 cells, 14AH with 52 cells and 17.5AH with 65 cells, but the latter might not fit your case.
I see. Thank you for the explanation. I will leave it as it is, and when the cells will age, will do a rebuild. By that time , it is very possible , that newer and inproved cells will reach the market. Maybe SSD batteries...

Back