Giant Roam E+ Reviews

RickyBikes

Region
USA
The Giant Roam E+ is a series of hybrid cross-country electric bikes from one of the largest companies in biking. This is a class-one electric bike, meaning pedal assist only up to 20mph. There are two models, the high-step Roam E+ GTS and the step-through Roam E+ STA. The GTS offers four available frame sizes whereas the STA offers three. They each retail at $2,450 on Giant’s website. The quiet SyncDrive Core motor from Yamaha is a 250W mid-drive unit which produces 50Nm of torque and generates a 300% support ratio. It compliments the 10-speed Shimano Deore drivetrain to make for a stable, enjoyable riding experience.

Here's Giant’s official website for the Roam E+; I'd love to hear your thoughts below, especially if you own either the Roam E+ GTS or the Roam E+ STA or plan to buy them!

This is court's previous video for the Explore E+ - there's just not much out yet on the roam, so it was hard to find videos covering it.

While I haven't reviewed this electric bike myself, I have covered similar eBikes and I wanted to provide some insights and open things up for your feedback. I hope providing several sources, with varying perspectives, allows everyone to come to their own conclusions. Sometimes short reviews and those created by shops only cover the good aspects and can come off like a commercial, so I've tried to be neutral and objective with these insights:

Pros - things that stood out as good:
  • The Giant Roam E+ GPS and Roam E+ STA are quality builds from a large, reputable company. This bike maximizes stability, pairing their signature Aluxx aluminum frame with a mid-drive motor. Giant chose 27.5″ tires here, which provide a low attack angle and smooth ride feel. They are tubeless ready, for those who wish to reduce weight, and have some puncture protection built-in.
  • I love the dealer support, two year comprehensive warranty, and lifetime frame warranty when buying with Giant. These bikes may cost more than some lesser priced online-only bikes, but there is a vast global network of dealers and repair shops, so you’ll get in-person advice, fitting, post-purchase tuneups and warranty support almost anywhere you go. Not having to put a bike together, if you’re new to eBikes, is also a luxury.
  • Giant’s SyncDrive mid-drive motor powered by Yamaha has SmartAssist technology, so it doesn’t utilize pedal assist modes. The SmartAssist has terrain and slope sensors as well as an accelerometer. These sensors gauge the input and determine how much assistance to provide. Giant’s website claims this is the only such eBike system to utilize both rider input and terrain feedback. SyncDrive is designed to replicate the rider’s natural pedal stroke. If you want your eBike to feel as natural as a traditional bicycle, and to ride casually and quietly, this is perfect for you.
  • The control pad has a handy WALK+ mode. So, if you’re around town and come across snow or an unexpected flat tire, you can walk your bike and it will give you some minor assistance. This latest version of the control pad includes Bluetooth and Ant+ for use with their RideControl smartphone app and ANT+ wireless devices like Garmin. This shows a more precise battery readout, which is always handy.
  • Giant brands their products in a tasteful manner. This is an all-black metallic paint job with black accents, and compliments the motor, hubs, spoks,handlebar, ets. This creates for a sleek, aesthetically attractive bike that fits the quiet mid-drive motor well.
Cons - things that seemed like tradeoffs or negatives:

• The Roam E+ STA & GTS both utilize RideControl ONE. It is an integrated controller which substitutes for a display. This is a tradeoff simply because the lack of added display might be confusing for some riders. These are popular features particularly in europe; I’ve seen them on bikes like the Orbea Vibe and Desiknio Pinion Classic and Desiknio Single Speed Urban. There’s an option to use a smartphone app. In theory this is great, but something I think leaves a bit to be desired in practice. Unless you use the app, you won’t know how far you’ve gone or how fast you’re going.
  • The battery is a fast-charging charger, so I hope that their cells have a high C Rating and don’t get degraded by the speed and heat. They are designed to use lower voltage, so the cells are used in a less energetic way. Fast charging has been a concern for automobiles and other devices. It would be a bummer to have the battery experience fewer cycles or have to be replaced early.
  • There’s no shift sensing built into the Giant (Yamaha) motor controller, and this can lead to increased chain and sprocket wear if you don’t back off a bit on your pedaling while shifting.
  • As much as I like the performance and quiet nature of the Yamaha mid-drive motor, it is larger and hangs down more than competing products from Shimano, Bosch, Brose, and Mahle.

As always, I welcome feedback and additions to these pros and cons, especially from people who have tried or own the bike. If you see other great video reviews for the Giant Roam E+, please share them and I may update this post ongoing so we can get the best perspectives and insights.

Last edited:
My Fastroad E+ 2 Pro also has the RideControl ONE controller. I like it for a few reasons - when pairing with a mobile device you can choose which app to use to monitor your trip rather than rely on what is on the display of the bike, it is smaller and leaves the bars less cluttered, it does not give confusing (incorrect) output when uisng a dongle or chip and it is more weather resistant than a full blown LCD display on the bars. I didn't think I would like it after having an NCM with frist the Das-Kit L7 display and then the C7 but I honestly prefer it, and to be honest, most of the time I don't care how fast I am going.

My Fastroad E+ 2 Pro also has the RideControl ONE controller. I like it for a few reasons - when pairing with a mobile device you can choose which app to use to monitor your trip rather than rely on what is on the display of the bike, it is smaller and leaves the bars less cluttered, it does not give confusing (incorrect) output when uisng a dongle or chip and it is more weather resistant than a full blown LCD display on the bars. I didn't think I would like it after having an NCM with frist the Das-Kit L7 display and then the C7 but I honestly prefer it, and to be honest, most of the time I don't care how fast I am going.
This is great feedback, thanks! Do you have a preferred app you use when monitoring your trips?

This is great feedback, thanks! Do you have a preferred app you use when monitoring your trips?
I certainly don't use the Giant app. I have a Hauwei phone so I usually just sync with my Huawei watch and use the Huawei Health app. The watch will display most things I want - time elapsed, distance travelled, average speed, heart rate, current time etc. so I rarely use the phone as well. I usually rely on my cadence rather than my speed anyway, and I pretty much know when I am around the sweet spot of 90-100 rpm.

I own Roam E+, some points I agree but disappointingly my bike came with a number of flaws which I think are assembly issues (not sure if these are factory assembled or dealer) which potentially caused all my other headaches (5 flats in 1 and half month of ownership).

If I had to do it again, I might be forced to find another brand simply because the Giant dealer service has been very disappointing, well below my expectation. There are only two Giant dealers in my area and I was told both are owned by the same owner. That said, Giant Canada's response to request is simply *talk to your dealer* so they are not very helpful either.

In short, my Roam E+ is in a relatively decent shape now after 2 months but with scars all over the bike. I do enjoy the e-bike part of it very much though, and just like others RideControl One hasn't been an issue for me. My phone app provides additional details if I want, and recently got Garmin Edge 530 which compliments this bike very well. Fingers crossed the bike runs with no more issues at least until the warranty period runs out since the last thing I want to do is to look for Giant service for help.

By the way, one inaccuracy in the original post - Deore drivetrain. Roam E+ comes with Alivio, one level down from Deore, so is the Explore E+ 2021. If you want Deore, you need to move up to Explore E+ pro. I believe the Deore comes with clutch, and I think all their 1x setup should come with Deore. The clutch derailluer should minimize chance of the chain drops.

I purchased the 2021 Giant Roam E+GTS, because of Court's review on the Giant Explore. I love this bike. It is the ebike I use for 30 plus mile rides, because it is very comfortable. In addition, despite being a heavy rider, I find the power very good, and I ride in ECO mode all the time. With that setting, I can get 80 plus miles out of one charge. Thanks for a great review, and a great site.

By the way, one inaccuracy in the original post - Deore drivetrain. Roam E+ comes with Alivio, one level down from Deore, so is the Explore E+ 2021. If you want Deore, you need to move up to Explore E+ pro. I believe the Deore comes with clutch, and I think all their 1x setup should come with Deore. The clutch derailluer should minimize chance of the chain drops.
My 2021 Roam e+ is 1x9 and came with a Shimano Altus rear derailer. Anyone know if the Deore rear deraileur is a straight swap out using existing rear cassette and shifters? Or will it only work as a matched system? (Based on these reviews/questions on Amazon it looks like it is doable just fine, btw. Anyone have any experience to the contrary, or on this particular bike, that says otherwise?? ).

altus.JPG

My 2021 Roam e+ is 1x9 and came with a Shimano Altus rear derailer. Anyone know if the Deore rear deraileur is a straight swap out using existing rear cassette and shifters? Or will it only work as a matched system? (Based on these reviews/questions on Amazon it looks like it is doable just fine, btw. Anyone have any experience to the contrary, or on this particular bike, that says otherwise?? ).

View attachment 107128
Is there any good reason to upgrade this to a 9 speed Deore? I have the 2019 Explore 3+, and it came with the 9 spd Deore

Is there any good reason to upgrade this to a 9 speed Deore? I have the 2019 Explore 3+, and it came with the 9 spd Deore
Deore I believe has clutch mechanism which maintains tension better which should help with those situations where I saw chain drops on my Roam e+. I ended up installing chain guard to fix the chain drop issue which was happening almost everyday.

Deore I believe has clutch mechanism which maintains tension better which should help with those situations where I saw chain drops on my Roam e+. I ended up installing chain guard to fix the chain drop issue which was happening almost everyday.
I initially had this problem as welL on my Explore, but then it seems to fix the problem after I play around the the B-Screw, and also I believed I removed an extra link when I replaced my chain.

this is the bike i have https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/explore-eplus-3-gts-2019, not sure if it comes with the clutch tbh.

I initially had this problem as welL on my Explore, but then it seems to fix the problem after I play around the the B-Screw, and also I believed I removed an extra link when I replaced my chain.

this is the bike i have https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/explore-eplus-3-gts-2019, not sure if it comes with the clutch tbh.
hmm.. looks like it does not, and still suffers from the same issue. I was tempted to remove a link from the chain but the service advisor was against it. Anyway, this was quite unexpected and really bothersome issue to have.

hmm.. looks like it does not, and still suffers from the same issue. I was tempted to remove a link from the chain but the service advisor was against it. Anyway, this was quite unexpected and really bothersome issue to have.
Ya, i recalled the chain would fall off the crank, so i had to carry a couple plastic gloves with me at all time. I also went through 2 chains in less than 3 yrs (around 3.5k km, i m on my 3rd chain now)

so far the fall off issue seem to have been resolved, knock on wood. Let see what happens when my riding season starts

Ya, i recalled the chain would fall off the crank, so i had to carry a couple plastic gloves with me at all time. I also went through 2 chains in less than 3 yrs (around 3.5k km, i m on my 3rd chain now)

so far the fall off issue seem to have been resolved, knock on wood. Let see what happens when my riding season starts
I was doing the same, but frequent occurrences really started to get annoying. Honestly, this is not acceptable for a bike at this price range. I've never had this issue on other bikes I owned but this was the first bike with 1x9 drivetrain - meaning no derailleurs on the front.

I do see that their newer bikes have front chain guide, possibly due to this issue.

Back