World War III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait what?
I think this is the tip of the iceberg.

"Several Ukrainian officials are suspected of smuggling goods into Poland, Ukrainian investigators said on Monday.

The group allegedly included at least one attache of the Ukrainian embassy in Poland, as well as the attache's father who used to serve in the same embassy. Another member of the group was working for the Ukraine's agency for special communications and information protection, authorities said.

What happened?​

The consular affairs attache and the Warsaw embassy driver were stopped by Ukrainian border guards while driving towards the Polish border in an official foreign ministry minibus.

While searching the vehicle, the guards found 16 kilograms (over 35 pounds) of gold, over 8,800 boxes of cigarettes, as well as large amounts of cash in dollars, euros, and Polish zloty.

Cigarettes are much cheaper in the ex-Soviet state compared to Poland, making smuggling tobacco an attractive option for residents of Ukraine's border regions.

How did the ministry respond?​

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba promised a swift investigation. In a Facebook post, he also said the two were recalled from their position in Warsaw.

"I will never cover up the scoundrels who think they can use their diplomatic status... for personal illegal enrichment," Kuleba said.

Commenting on corruption in the impoverished country, the minister called for cases like these to be made public.

"The attitude of 'let's not bring our trash to the street' must be broken," he wrote."

The estimates of the body count over the course of the Iraq war range from military estimates in the range of 200,000 to public health estimates that are between 500,000 and one million over the course of roughly eight years. So I guess even if you believe the higher estimates, (and being a public health guy, I trust those sources more) the raw fatality rate-- while in a similar range-- is still considerably higher.

The key words in your post, Mr. C., are "This from populations much smaller than America, with lower birth rates." Yeah-- so far, at least, this conflict has proved to be considerably more devastating.

I just think it's important not to minimize the devastating impact of the Iraq war, and its utter pointlessness. It was a watershed in US aggression, many countries will never forget what we did, and rightly so. We squandered whatever international goodwill we had left after Vietnam. It's inevitable-- and should have been predictable -- that tyrants would use this level of aggression to justify their own depravity.

That argument is still a fallacy, but it's an appealing one to many people, unfortunately.

Yeah, this.

And absolutely this. My own take, which is not a popular one, is that unrestrained capitalism is both a humanitarian disaster and desperately inefficient. There has been little meaningful innovation in the last half century, and even less in the last 25 years. There are no cars I'd want to buy today, computers were faster and easier to use 20 to 40 years ago, benchmark testing is meaningless, and who cares if memory is cheaper? Touch screen sucks, voice recognition is still slower than typing for most people, social media is an open running sewer, and texting is awful-- I had far more meaningful communication with my friends 15 years ago, when we wrote emails like letters. Now no one has the patience; language has been destroyed.

There are outliers where capitalism has done well-- HIV drugs, eBikes, a few really useful strides forward. And 'capitalism' isn't just a private sector problem, either. Most non-profits are structured similarly; they have almost identical issues with bureaucracy, cronyism, you'll find the same stupid notes taped to the refrigerator in the break room.

I totally agree that there is a dangerous moral shift here, and we need to stay focused on it-- it's one of the reasons I do the work that I do. And if I think about it, even my closest friends are probably more likely today to treat other humans inhumanely than they were even 10 years ago.

However, both problems are related, and I would argue that unrestrained capitalism is part of the reason we've lost respect for human and animal life-- not the only one, but one of the most important. People work in dead-end, meaningless jobs, advancement is often impossible, when people step off the straight and narrow, we cage them or drug them or send them back to the neighborhood they came from so the whole cycle can repeat again.

We used to understand that capitalism only worked with regulation to keep it in check. There's a reason that every house on the block doesn't have different power outlets that supply different voltages. There was a day when you could rent a car without having to read the manual to figure out the climate control, when you could buy a mobile phone and not have to budget half a day to figure out how to disable the bloat and spyware.

Capitalism has gotten really crazy, it means something different now. I have several students in my office every year just because of the way economics is taught. "My parents nearly bankrupted themselves to send me here, and the texts I'm reading and what the professors are saying makes absolutely no sense." This absolutely contributes to the current epidemic of human depravity. Sure, violent video games don't help, but the depersonalization comes from vast institutions in the public and private sector that make sure we never forget: The market doesn't exist to serve your needs. You will buy what we tell you to, be interested in what we say you'll be interested in. If you buy a 50 pound bag of dog food, we will bombard you with more ads for dog food even though you won't need any for three months. We don't care about you. You are nothing. You are nobody."

If this sounds familiar, I hope those on the other side of the political aisle realize that we have a lot in common. We are being exploited and turned against each other. I'm sick of this. I don't want to do it anymore.
I have noticed when I give to charities I deem worthy, soon thereafter that's when the Phone solicitations start. I do not have the time or patience these days to wrestle with these Folks, when the benefit title is announced that's when I usually hang up( the do not call BS never stopped any annoying solicitations as far as I can tell) just because I am getting along in years and are somewhat generous does not mean I am a pushover. The end goal of capitalism is most of the wealth in few hands, whilst the proletariat" doth eat cake" Greed knows no bounds.

While staying in the capital city of the United Kingdom for a while, I could not fail noticing how many Russkies still lived good lives there in Londongrad. Then my thoughts navigated towards Brexit. How odd...

There is another article on the DB about new policy in the Senate regarding the Black Sea and those countries bordering it…both in security and economically. Our Navy is likely to be more active there. It’s paywalled for sure…maybe the following isn’t
In the meantime its great to read about Russian military heads being chopped off
Read This: "Another General Killed as Russian Leak Admits ‘Big Shot Fucking Command’ Was Obliterated"
https://www.thedailybeast.com/anoth...-shot-fucking-command-was-obliterated?via=ios

...as they watch America being gutted by the demented corrupt marionette....even illegally selling Strategic Reserve Oil to his CCP connection as American steel and aluminum plants are forced into closure by fuel prices.

How sanctions work:
1) Export of the gas turbo machinery (goods) incorporating U.S. Export controlled technology to the sanctioned entity is banned. Gasprom? IDK
2) Canada asks permission to re-export the goods despite the sanctions.
3) Joe Biden approves, not no-one else, nope
I imagine the turbine will actually be exported from the USA (NYC) because:
US approval was required, US loophole for turbo machinery export = government approval at the highest level.
Quote after this betrayal:today,
"Zelensky's harsh words for Canada on Nord Stream"

"The ministry of foreign affairs had to summon Canada’s envoy due to an absolutely unacceptable exception to the sanctions regime against Russia. The decision will be perceived in Moscow exclusively as a manifestation of weakness"
Z

Last edited:
So lets see if we can clear up some of the miss information ...

First the gas turbine is I believe actually actually a pair and isn't being sold, it's being repaired at the most experienced location able to do so, the Siemens facility in Montreal. The original plan is to ship the repaired turbine(s) back via Siemens Germany. I don't know about the other 3 turbines being discussed or if there are actually 5 of them but Nord Stream 1 needs the original ones repaired to be able to come back up to full daily capacity. Yes, doing that also means the Russians can sell more gas.

Regardless of the Russians making money the Germans (and the Italians and a few others) desperately need NS 1 to be running at something close to capacity ASAP to be able to stock pile gas supplies the summer for this winter's heavy usage. Germany in particular is looking at a very ugly situation if they don't have their reserves at full capacity this winter. "Ugly" being potentially bad enough to influence or bring down the political party in power. A change like that could be really bad news for Ukraine (as is any instability in EU politics right now).

Folks need to understand that this situation is a lot more complicated than what's making the US news headlines. It's not about making a few dollars on the repair of some gas turbines.

From The Institute for the Study of War, 12 July 2022:

Russian forces remain in a theater-wide operational pause in Ukraine. Russian forces continue to regroup, rest, refit, and reconstitute; bombard critical areas to set conditions for future ground offensives; and conduct limited probing attacks. The Russian Ministry of Defense did not claim any new territorial control on July 12. ISW has previously noted that an operational pause does not mean a cessation of attacks. Current Russian offensive actions are likely meant to prepare for future offensives, the timing of which remains unclear.

So lets see if we can clear up some of the miss information ...

First the gas turbine is I believe actually actually a pair and isn't being sold, it's being repaired at the most experienced location able to do so, the Siemens facility in Montreal. The original plan is to ship the repaired turbine(s) back via Siemens Germany. I don't know about the other 3 turbines being discussed or if there are actually 5 of them but Nord Stream 1 needs the original ones repaired to be able to come back up to full daily capacity. Yes, doing that also means the Russians can sell more gas.

Regardless of the Russians making money the Germans (and the Italians and a few others) desperately need NS 1 to be running at something close to capacity ASAP to be able to stock pile gas supplies the summer for this winter's heavy usage. Germany in particular is looking at a very ugly situation if they don't have their reserves at full capacity this winter. "Ugly" being potentially bad enough to influence or bring down the political party in power. A change like that could be really bad news for Ukraine (as is any instability in EU politics right now).

Folks need to understand that this situation is a lot more complicated than what's making the US news headlines. It's not about making a few dollars on the repair of some gas turbines.
That's a thoughtful post and some issues raised that deserve consideration.
First, absolutely Italy and especially Germany need fuel or its manufacturing base is dead meat and chaos will ensue.
However, look at the Green/WEF/UN pleasing actions of Netherlands moving to curb farming in the way Sri Lanka's delusional rulers did. It's not as if these people or Biden's or Trudeau's handlers are aiming for their nation's success.
They need the chaos as reason to impose the horrific brutality which will be necessary for achieving the 2030 goal. Netherlands brought out their instigators and as well, the cops were shooting live rounds at a 16 year old driving a protest tractor around a blockade. Deadly force against peaceful protest, like in Canada how they horse-trampled a disabled indigenous woman protester.
This has to be seen in context; just previous the government allowed protesters to attempt to set trains on fire and did nothing as they blocked railways for a long period. They did NOTHING then...

but when it's about vaccination mandates, or Green initiatives, nothing is going too far, in order to punish the protesters. Seize their bank accounts, their vehicles, and threaten their homes, their children, their pets.

News item from the future:

"President invokes NATO article V: July 13th, 2052"

President Zendaya today invoked article V, after Russian incursions near Zamosc, Poland. Forward-deployed forces from the United States, Germany, France, and the United Kingdom moved to prepared positions in Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia. Finland and Sweden are calling up the reserves.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the Urals, separatist forces attacked Chinese peacekeepers in the Republic of Uralia. There are reports of additional civilian casualties in Chelyabinsk and Yekaterinburg.

Putin didn’t need to invade any more of Ukraine with Trump in office. Trump’s very own campaign manager (Paul Manafort) was working with an FSB officer in Ukraine. Trump weakened the bonds of NATO enough to entice Putin to invade

NEW AXIS
Heard on the news the Russians are buying advanced drones from Iran, with Inanian technicians to train the Russians,
Sort of a topsy turvy-turvy change in the old order of things.

Yes, what is remarkable is that the Ukrainians have managed to produce a remarkable amount of damage with only a handful of HiMARs.

My guess is that if the Ukrainians got one hundred of them and sufficient ammunition the war would be over in six weeks or so. The question would be about the ammo, because they are using the high-precision GPS guided rockets and we didn't make all that many of them, and don't manufacture that many of them either (maybe around 3000 per year, which 100 HiMARs could easily shoot in a day).

The Russians can't shoot them down, and shooting down a $100,000 rocket with a missile that costs $1,000,000 doesn't make any sense. The Russians don't have any good way to track or engage a highly mobile and fairly small target like a HiMARs and the Ukrainians are being very sneaky in how they deploy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back