World War III

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUCHA, Ukraine (AP) — Bodies with bound hands, close-range gunshot wounds and signs of torture lay scattered in a city on the outskirts of Kyiv after Russian soldiers withdrew from the area. Ukrainian authorities accused the departing forces on Sunday of committing war crimes and leaving behind a “scene from a horror movie.”

Personally I think it's time for NATO to get into this fight and drive these pricks out of Ukraine including Crimea. If Putin ever leaves Russia he should be arrested, tried, and executed. Graham was right about something for a change.

NYT has multiple levels of a "paywall". The latest articles are behind the strongest versions, but articles do become easier to access over time. It's not hard to read even those latest versions, there are lots of different paths to do this. In my case I load the article in the incognito part of Google Chrome and quickly press CTL a (before the paywall protections load) to highlight the text. Then copy and paste the text into a simple Windows text editor (which strips out all the article graphics and formatting), and I'm left with just the text to read.

That said the article in question doesn't contain any real surprises to my understanding of the situation. What was interesting to me was the following list of who holds Russian assets ...

"According to the Atlantic Council GeoEconomics Center, the top six nations where Russian central bank foreign currency assets are stowed by percentage are: China, 17.7 percent; France, 15.6 percent; Japan, 12.8 percent; Germany, 12.2 percent; U.S., 8.5 percent; and Britain, 5.8 percent. Also, the Bank of International Settlement and the International Monetary Fund have 6.4 percent.

Each of these countries, except China, has now frozen the Russian reserves it is holding — so around $330 billion is inaccessible to Putin, according to the Atlantic Council’s tracker. But not only can the Russian state not touch those reserves to prop up its crumbling economy, there will be a huge global push to tap this money to pay reparations to rebuild the Ukrainian homes, apartment buildings, roads and government structures the Russian Army destroyed in Putin’s war of choice."

Over $300B would be a good start on rebuilding Ukraine's infrastructure, but I'm afraid that it will take a lot more to get back to where they were before the invasion ... especially since I don't think Putin is finished destroying things.

Chez, what makes me shocked is all anti-vaxxers have turned Putin's allies now. How odd.
Are they the Lenin's "useful idiots", paid Russian agents, or just idiots?

Yes, it is very strange. It is difficult for some people to give up their preconceived notions, for instance, about the absolute untrustworthiness of govts or media or, nowadays, experts. Once they have swallowed one fallacy and have kept it down, they cannot bear to vomit it back up, to have to admit they were wrong or misguided or duped. Too embarrassing. So they double down. No such disease. Vaccine not effective. Microchips implanted. Conspiracies in the nonexistent basements of random pizza parlors. Jewish Nazi fascists. All this horse hockey is a way to not deal with the real problems in their lives or in the world. Because if it is all a conspiracy of lizard people, then all things are stacked against you and you can never win, so don't bother to fix your life, just stay on the couch and toke more weed and rant about chem trails, or Karl Marx shooting coconuts...

My husband, who is a (non-trump) Republican, and whose favorite game is "Poke the Bear", to him I say, "Honey, you just a dyin' demographic."

Graham was right about something for a change.
Graham was over in Ukraine with John McCain and Pelosi clan and Kerry clan and Biden clan enriching themselves by selling out the United States and stealing the aid money being pumped in or directing it to their sponsors and investments.
Yes, they all need it covered up now even at the cost of global famine.

You've been misled every step of the way. You believed reports that the nazis were winning. The nazis are hiding in 2 factories. The Russians are not obliterating the 2 factories. Something, most likely high NATO officials, are inside. France is desperate for some reason. Russia offered safe passage out with oversight by Russia. Ukraine refused.

You believed reports that the Rouble was being crushed. It's at a higher rate against USD than before sanctions.

It's America that the neolibs and neocons are taking down...and with it goes much of the globe.

Last edited:
Novaya Gazeta, the last independent newspaper in Russia shut down about a week ago, but it has reconstituted itself with its staff who have left Russia: https://novayagazetaeu.substack.com/ Some articles are in English, but I have been using Google translate, as I have mentioned each time I have posted a link to an article there.

Chez, what makes me shocked is all anti-vaxxers have turned Putin's allies now. How odd.
Are they the Lenin's "useful idiots", paid Russian agents, or just idiots?

Interesting article below on Flat Earther and how it relates to all the fringe conspiracy theorists, being the climate change deniers, the anti vax, or even more recently, the ones pushing ultra-right pro-Russian propaganda.

This is also why there is no benefit arguing with the most radicalized of these individuals. They made a choice to abandon and reject all reliable sources of information, for the ones who support their chosen belief, using fringe sources, out of context ones, or just plain fabrication. And so, even when these are clearly disproven by an overwhelming worldwide majority of independent professionals, experts, scientists …

Once they are in this radicalized state, arguing only gives them an opportunity to give exposure to their carefully crafted rhetoric, in hopes to attract malleable people who share some of their frustrations, or at least attempt to cast doubts over the valid sources of information.
This is the more corrupt aspect of their intellectual behavior. Make people doubt facts and loose trust in reliable sources, so they will easily become trapped in the bubble of polarized information these groups creates to support themselves.

As a side note an digression, It is no surprise that the number one thing any aspiring dictator or authoritarian does, is discredit the press until it can control it. By casting a doubt, they cut people off sources of information that could enlighten them or give them pause, and make their sympathizers captive of their own controlled propaganda.

A lot of such damage has been done over the last few years in this department, which does not bode well for democracy.

What the people who support megalomaniacs and authoritarians that appear to be on their side often don’t realize (until it is too late), is that these megalomaniacs and authoritarians are on nobody’s side but their own, and that can & will change overnight depending and what their best interest of the moment will be.
But once you let an authoritarian system be put in place, it is almost impossible to undo it, and you then are at their mercy forever or a very long time.

However imperfect or unaligned with my beliefs some democracies are, I will take any of them over an authoritarian system…

Last edited:
Interesting article below on Flat Earther and how it relates to all the fringe conspiracy theorists, being the climate change deniers, the anti vax, or even more recently, the ones pushing ultra-right pro-Russian propaganda.
Great write up @scrambler! See this tongue in cheek meme:
1649475464400.png

"There is no hard evidence Putin knew about the invasion of Ukraine".
Pictured is a leading Polish politician of the genre described by you, and the rhetoric you wrote about.

Spot on, a simple analysis of said users twitter account shows a classic example of TDS (insanity/hate disguised as virtue).

Seems to me that if someone lost ALL their friends, it would be time for reflection as to what the common denominator is (if they actually cared and were ready to take responsibility for their own actions)

Life and Truth is alot more complex than all the boxes people seem to want to apply to anyone who simply questions the mainstream narrative(s)
Yeah. In the instance I mentioned, Tom had said something that stuck in my head - about riding in winter using feet as outriggers, and that word is what I think every time I ride if there is snow and maybe ice. so a couple of months ago I was going at low speed with saddle lowered and feet out sort of skimming and the bike hit a patch of smooth ice under the snow and the bike went nuts but I could just let it down and get off same time - because I was already both feet on the road.
So I appreciate....what...his input. A word choice. That's enough.

Rome, please stop posting all these random pictures. It does not advance the conversation.

Let us keep to World War 3 here. At what point do we say, enough is enough, we're going to go in and close the skies over Ukraine? The problem is that if someone does not care if they live or die, or if they destroy the world or great swathes of it, there's no real answer to them, except to destroy them first. Like suicide bombers, there's no way to talk to them because there is no carrot and no stick that will motivate them, if life itself is not enough.

To our Western minds, we think Putain must be mad as a hatter, and sick physically as well. (For that matter, hatters were sick physically, since their "madness" was caused by occupational poisoning from the mercury used in felting wool for hats. But anyway....)

Maybe Putain is certifiable. Americans tend to think if you take out the head of a country, there will be an end to the whole problem.

But then you have all the Russian people, who have been served up propaganda for a century. The majority support the war, apparently. Ukrainians who tell family and friends in Russia about what's happening in Ukraine are not believed. Which means they believe such blatantly false and idiotic circumlocutions as Jewish Nazi fascists staging false flag attacks on Ukrainian hospitals etc, etc. The thousands of Russian soldiers who make it back from Ukraine will know that they were not "liberating" anyone. Will they be believed when they tell the folks back home in Russia this? Or will they hide their shame and trauma under the camouflage of the propaganda narrative?

It's hard to know what the right solution is but there has to be some accountability for what Russia is doing and the rest of the world needs to do more before he reduces the whole country to rubble and kills everyone. At the very least do what it takes to halt their sale of fossil fuel. If that means the USA shares our supplies with others that depend on Russian fuel then that's what we should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back