Winter Sucks

I would have thought that winter solstice was far behind us but last Sunday along Hwy 93 near Lake Louise, it certainly didn’t feel like that for some where they got walloped with 15-25 cm of snow. 🙄

1687407226062.png

No specific name. However the Māori new year, Matariki, is celebrated during this period but not specifically coinciding with the winter solstice.

Matariki is the Māori name for a group of seven stars known as the Pleiades star cluster.

Cheers

I looked this up from a Celtic site...sol = sun and stice = stop so solstice. But I know of Eatain ? The white woman on a white horse in myths, and the Catholic church used John the Baptist saints Day. The real bard off course, wrote "A Midsummer Night Dream "

But it and the winter solstice are the oldest "Holiday Seasons " we know of. Stonehenge and Newgrange.

The Druids also calculate Midsummer and Midwinter by the stars, but somehow the lightbox on Newgrange on the longest night and the healstone of Stonehenge on the longest day. Both light up today or midwinter.
BTW Both are apparently older than the Pyramids of Egypt.

Last edited:
No specific name. However the Māori new year, Matariki, is celebrated during this period but not specifically coinciding with the winter solstice.

Matariki is the Māori name for a group of seven stars known as the Pleiades star cluster.

Cheers
So the Māori calculate solstices by a star cluster as did the ancient Celts on the extreme northern tip of Europe as far apart as possible and very old cultures in both cases? Coincidence?

B
So the Māori calculate solstices by a star cluster as did the ancient Celts on the extreme northern tip of Europe as far apart as possible and very old cultures in both cases? Coincidence?
Both cultures were very observant and noticed the repeating patterns of the stars.

NZ's antipode is west of Spain so not as far south as the northern tip of Europe is north! But I get your drift.

Do you know if they were marine coast or inland? The Celts were all sailors in the North Atlantic I think. Maybe they had to know stars to fish or hunt. And the Pleiades have some special seasonal meaning in Ancient China for your next trivia contest.
Anyway , a happy solstice to all and to all a good night.

Last edited:
Do you know if they were marine coast or inland? The Celts were all sailors in the North Atlantic I think. Maybe they had to know stars to fish or hunt. And the Pleiades have some special seasonal meaning in Ancient China for your next trivia contest.
Anyway , a happy solstice to all and to all a good night.
The Māori are Polynesian. Polynesians navigated throughout much of the Pacific Ocean colonising many islands, including Hawaii and NZ. They settled in Aotearoa (NZ) about the middle of the 14th century, or earlier.

Cheers

Last edited:
The Māori are Polynesian. Polynesians navigated throughout much of the Pacific Ocean colonising many islands, including Hawaii and NZ. They settled in Aotearoa (NZ) about the middle of the 14th century, or earlier.

Cheers
From the BBC, a video (of course) of yesterday's celebration at Stonehenge.

This morning I am in three layers, one of which is wool. If I ride I will need a windbreaker too. But it looks like the cold is about to snap this afternoon.

I realize that some of us are still several months away from the big chill but I decided to pull the trigger on these puppies. 45 North Wolvhammer BOA boots and OR Crocodile gaiters that should see me through the cold and snowy winter months ahead. I thought that the boots were a decent score as they were marked down 30%. My Merrell boots just weren’t cutting it on colder days and will be exclusively tasked to snow shoveling duties.

PXL_20230916_015637471.jpg

2021-45nrth-wolvhammer-boa-premium-insulated-winter-cycling-boot-liner-1.jpg

Back