Why was Equilink suspension not used on DUALe?

Mike leroy

Equilink seems like a great system.

Why is a different rear shock design used on the DUALe ?
Is it related to the amount of space taken by the battery and motor?
Is it related to the chain torque?
Is it related to the Bosch BB?
Is it related to the the small sprocket that replaces the chainring?
Is it related to the additional weight?

What is difference between the DUALe and Equilink in terms of traction and absorption?

Last edited:
I believe the answer is primarily about anti-squat and anti-dive. Acceleration and braking forces are explained in this Felt Equilink video. The subjects are complex, so I might not have time to explain.

Understanding these automotive concepts is essential for hills above 7.5% grade, or perhaps 30mph. The 2015 Felt Compulsion 10 is a great bike and value for use in steeper terrain. You can calculate anti-squat for the DUALe. Compare anti-squat to the Compulsion. I simply relied on my intuition, rather than expressing the two characteristics numerically. I decided the Compulsion is better suited to my terrain. I would add the BBS02 to the Compulsion, if I need it.

I think I need to master hill climbing technique, before adding a motor.

Acceleration and braking forces are explained in this Felt Equilink video. The Takeaway subjects from the video are complex. Sorry, nothing I can do to simplify.
  1. Isolating drivetrain power from suspension suppleness to avoid power loss or small bump sensitivity.
  2. Bob - suspension pulling up when pushing down on pedals.
  3. Pedal kickback - losing fluid pedal movement due to chain achieving anti-squat.
  4. How active in/out of saddle?
  5. How easy or difficult to tune to different conditions?
  6. Axle path used to counteract weight transfer when pedaling reduces usable gears.
  7. Uphill traction is reduced with a single swingarm

Back