Why Put 12 Speed Groups On Bafang Ultra Bikes?

Box's Prime 9 is a really interesting concept: Use the 12-speed dimension for the inside of the chain and the 9-speed dimension for the outside of the chain. This means the rear cog has plates that are as thin as 12-speed cogs, but they're spaced further apart. The front chainring can be any standard 12 speed chainring (narrow-wide). If they use the right materials, their chains could be very durable since the side plates are thicker.
Note that you give up shifting more than 1 cog at a time, but with 9 speeds instead of 12 you may not need to do that as often (although cresting a hill or going through a valley often require big gear changes no matter what).
I don't understand their claims about adjustment frequency, etc. My 12-speed SRAM doesn't need adjustment any more than my old 8-speed or 10-speed drivetrains - maybe even less since it's a higher quality system than I had on those bikes.

Note that the e-bike specific version of the Box Prime doesn't go down to an 11 tooth cog, just 12. They say it's for wear purposes.

Here is an update on what I plan to do to make my SRAM 12 speed handle Innotrace X1 3600W.

Recap, I broke a KMC DLC12 and that failure took out my Wolftooth 46T in the process. Here is my plan to address that failure so I don’t get stranded bike packing.

I am going to a 48T chainring I got off of Amazon. Chain will be a KMC e12 which is supposed to be ebike specific and stronger. I also have a 77Designz “kettenführung” pt# exe-if-454 chain guide and bash protector to install. The 48T is the largest I can fit and the thinking is get the biggest possible chainring to allow using the middle of the cassette more for the best chain line.

I have all this stuff in hand so I will post pics when I get time to install.

Then if my Sunringle SRC hub blows out the pawls... I am sure this will cure that. Yes the money is getting kinda silly but yolo.

which would give me an excuse to upgrade to these rims:

The SRAM X01 Eagle is the strongest of all the 12-speed chains according to a test I can dig up if you really want.
I've good things about Onyx hubs.

Here is an update on what I plan to do to make my SRAM 12 speed handle Innotrace X1 3600W.

Recap, I broke a KMC DLC12 and that failure took out my Wolftooth 46T in the process. Here is my plan to address that failure so I don’t get stranded bike packing.

I am going to a 48T chainring I got off of Amazon. Chain will be a KMC e12 which is supposed to be ebike specific and stronger. I also have a 77Designz “kettenführung” pt# exe-if-454 chain guide and bash protector to install. The 48T is the largest I can fit and the thinking is get the biggest possible chainring to allow using the middle of the cassette more for the best chain line.

I have all this stuff in hand so I will post pics when I get time to install.

Then if my Sunringle SRC hub blows out the pawls... I am sure this will cure that. Yes the money is getting kinda silly but yolo.

which would give me an excuse to upgrade to these rims:

Holy Moly ! $$$$$$$ Love to have one some day though. 👍 👍 👍

Back