Who's looking at new startup DOST?

cuwatra

I was anxiously awaiting the launch yesterday (2/25/20) but after watching the videos and reviewing the bike's specs I am frankly underwhelmed. Where is the value in $2900USD? They are using a pretty tired Bafang BBS02 Mid Drive, no torque sensor, low-end spec suspension and Shimano Cassette. They make a big deal about a mid-drive having a throttle and while that may be a novelty in a production bike the hobbyist community has been building their own Bafang mid-drives with throttles for years.

Am I missing something? I am certainly open to having my opinion changed if others are seeing things differently and can list why here.

What are the best comparison bikes currently available with similar feature sets and price-points? I'd personally include geared hub motor bikes in the list as I'm no mid-drive purist.

Last edited:
There are a few brands using the BBS02 motor including Biktrix and Evelo, and other brands/shops sell BBS02 conversions of pedal bikes like Luna, BMEbikes, Day6. Justin LeMire-Elmore did an interesting comparison of BBS02 vs BBSHD https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=100461 I don't think anyone would disagree BBSHD is better if you need a heavy duty motor for a fat bike or cargo bike, but BBS02 is fine for most purposes. Bafang's OEM mid-drives like their M-series/Max/Ultra are showing up on more brands like FLX, M2S, etc.

Last edited:
You might see what Luna has going on with their built conversions using the bafang mid-drive. Seemed like they were a pretty good deal. They take known good pedal bikes and convert them with the latest and greatest the industry has to offer. And they're domestic (USA).

Take a look at the latest reviews from Court on EBR...

cutwatra, you made some good points. You asked about others to compare. Look at the Biktrix Juggernaut ultra 1000 for $3000 so about $200 more than the Dost if you don't do any upgrades. Also the Rize RX is somewhat comparable at $2,600.

cutwatra, you made some good points. You asked about others to compare. Look at the Biktrix Juggernaut ultra 1000 for $3000 so about $200 more than the Dost if you don't do any upgrades. Also the Rize RX is somewhat comparable at $2,600.
+1...The Ultra does look nice and has torque sensor.

Both have the newer Bafang Ultra motor and torque sensor. If you want to look at a rear hub the the Surface604 Rook or Colt has torque sensor, one of the few that has that on rear hub motor. $2,200 with comparable battery ah.

Agree with OP. After seeing Ride1Up and Aventon's latest geared hub drive bikes online for around $1500, Dost seems overpriced by $500-1000. The Rize RX looks good too thanks to a Bafang Ultra in the mid $2k range

Both have the newer Bafang Ultra motor and torque sensor. If you want to look at a rear hub the the Surface604 Rook or Colt has torque sensor, one of the few that has that on rear hub motor. $2,200 with comparable battery ah.
Mechanical brakes and B&W displays though. At least on the Classic. Bummer.

Last edited:
Maybe they are planning to drop price by $500-1000 if the mass market doesn't fall for the hype? They obviously have their marketing ducks in a row paying EBR for launch reviews and and an electrek spread to boot. I hope they succeed as I'd love to see them offer something more compelling like a suspended rack FS with dual battery and Ultra motor.

Agree with OP. After seeing Ride1Up and Aventon's latest geared hub drive bikes online for around $1500, Dost seems overpriced by $500-1000. The Rize RX looks good too thanks to a Bafang Ultra in the mid $2k range
Yep. When I was comparing the Dost to others, it seemed fair to peg it around the $3000 Canadian price, a little higher than the Juggernaut Classic, as there's some well-deserved fit and finish kudos from a design POV.

$3700 Cdn seems a bit TOO steep though.

Mechanical brakes and B&W displays though. At least on the Classic. Bummer.
The Bikrix Juggernaut Classic comes with Tektro hydraulic brakes, with an option to upgrade to Maguras, at least on the Canadian model. Don't know about the US.

When did Court start giving star ratings to bike reviews. Not just a star rating, but 5 stars? Or is this a bit of false advertising? I don't see this verbiage anywhere in the printed reviews.

1582766942417.png

Back