Who spent a lot on their E-bike? Was it worth it?

As Jaxx notes, there are pedal bikes that cost more than scooters and motorcycles. Does that require justification? If you spend more on a Pinarello than a Moto Guzzi, does that mean you should have bought the motorcycle? People buy what makes them happy. If you want a bicycle you’re not going to be happy with a scooter. That is a false equivalence. Quality costs in any goods category. Ebikes are no different than guitars, cameras, watches, or wine in that respect—none of them are scooters. Buy what you want, and buy what makes you happy.

Now I'm confused. My guzzi makes better music than any guitar......and looks better than any picture I've taken with my olympus......so should I be drinking a better quality wine next time I service it?

Sorry, but I'm procrastinating, there's an over priced front tyre in the shed that my son wants fitting.....it all seemed like such a waste of money last week but right now he's singing whilst building leggo - priceless.

Its worth what your willing to pay, the functionality and enjoyment derived from such expenditure.
My first ebike was $2K AU. it got the job done and was all i could afford, next one was custom made and just over $5kAU.
Got into ebikes because of health reasons, i no longer drive or ride motorcycles (loved motorbikes ridden all my life).
So when i got a lump sum payout for my injuries i said why not, get something that suited me to a T.
While i was researching the ebike i wanted i still had my first ebike, so that was 4 months of research to find the ebike i wanted, not necessarily needed
AVE SH11 Adventure bike but they have now left the Australian market, not to worry by the time this bikes worn out it will be a few years at least.
Imagine what technology does for ebikes in 2-3 years (if im still alive...)

First eBike was a $500 Sondors off Craigslist, 6th one is a $4,700 Ruffian. Each one worth every penny. I really dislike the comparison to a motorcycle. I ride for health and recreation. I find riding at 15-20mph on a nearly silent ride to be a real joy of life. I enjoy the sights and sounds of nature on rail and multi-use trails and the sights and smells of restaurants in urban riding. Hard to ride around the back of The Museum of Science and Industry, or onto Daily Plaza to get next to the Picasso on a motorcycle or scooter in Chicago. Just not a direct comparison for me. Justify it? For me at 66 years old, I intend to use it to maintain quality in my body and brain. My Mom sat down the last 20 years of her life and she died a horrible death wracked with Alzheimer's in a nursing home. Hell, it's just spending the kid's inheritance at this point.
I agree, i passed by so much stuff in a truck i now see on a E-bike, time to stop and smell the roses

So many of you people on this thread are a bunch of insecure "how dare you question me" elitists. I asked an honest question that was meant to help me. I like to make smart buying decisions. I really didn't know where to set my budget amount. Typically, the more you spend, the better you get....to a point. Then the law of diminishing returns sets in. I was hoping some of you would give me perspective on this decision. What I got were a bunch of snarky responses. I spend what i want. ? Don't question me ?

Well sorry some of you feel so threatened. Sorry i used scooter as my comparion. Don't let me bruise your tender egos by calling your ebike a scooter. If i had known you all were so sensitive, I would have said thoroughbread steed or Dom Perignon. Sooooooooory.

I was really hoping people would say "well, components and materials keep getting better up to $XXXXX but after that its personal choice or for the highly compeditive rider"

Or "if you invest more into tech, you'll get X more years of a compeditive mountain bike", or if you pay pay for brands like X, Y or Z, you'll get far superior quality and never regret it.

Instead, I got a bunch of butt hurt old men giving snarky defensive answers. My takeaway from the majority of responses is this is a group of people who overspend on their hobbies, just like with any other hobby, and don't you dare question it becuase even their families think their sick. Sad.

Last edited:
That's kind of a loaded question. Cause IMO, I very much doubt that you will find anyone paying any price for an ebike, that was not a lemon to begin with or had nothing but mechanical/electrical troubles, to admit that it was not worth it. "Worth" is all in the eye of the beholder no matter the cost. For example a BMW/MB owner may pay 3x more than a Honda/Toyota owner even though both cars, within the same posted speed limit, take you from point A to point B at the same time and last just as long even though the maintenance and insurance of the BTW/MB over the life of the car would cost much more. Yet I very much doubt that any of the BMW/MB owners will say the purchase was not worth it. Cause it was worth it to them in order to make the purchase in the first place.
Yeah, but i was at least hoping for that honest answer....I like to appear affluent so I like my BMW, even though it will depreciate faster and probably be in the shop more....it gives me more swag. Some honest people are able to say that.

Let me continue from the mountain bike perspective. The bikes are heavy....50+ lbs. The geometries are weird....doesnt seem like most manufacturers have mastered how the weight should sit. The engines are winy and underpowered (mids at 250W) and the batteries really aren't there as far as tech goes. A full day of riding is a stretch for most ebikes, much less a weekend in the mountains.

Hub drives overheat and feel disconnected, mid drives snap chains, give drag and feel notchy. Sure todays bikes are great and lots of fun, but still in an infancy. I'm really excited to see a silent, seemless extension of my legs that weighs 15kg and can assist me to whatever speed I like while still feeling stable, whether up or down a hill. I want shocks that don't need to be locked out while not giving any bobbing feeling, yet soaking up way more of the bumps. I want its engine and battery to be completely invisible and I want everything to last at least as long as thr 100,000 miles I expect from my car. I want a frame strong enough to strap in a 2nd seat to ride my 8 year old from school, and I want enough space for a waterbottle! I want bluetooth connectivity, app interface and wireless lighting. If I drop $12,000 on a bike today, you bet, if Im being honest with myself, it'll fall short in many ways, and Ill be itching for a new one in a few years and feeling a little remorse over my lighter wallet.

Last edited:
So many of you people on this thread are a bunch of insecure "how dare you question me" elitist jerks. I asked an honest question that was meant to help me. I am personally very wealthy but like to make smart buying decisions. I really didn't know where to set my budget amount. Typically, the more you spend, the better you get....to a point. Then the law of diminishing returns sets in. I was hoping some of you would give me perspective on this decision. What I got were a bunch of snarky asshole responses. I spend what i want. ? Don't question me ?

Well sorry you all feel so threatened. Sorry i used scooter as my comparion. Don't let me bruise your tender egos by calling your ebike a scooter. If i had known you all were so sensitive, I would have said thoroughbread steed or Dom Perignon. Sooooooooory.

I was really hoping people would say "well, components and materials keep getting better up to $XXXXX but after that its personal choice or for the highly compeditive rider"

Or "if you invest more into tech, you'll get X more years of a compeditive mountain bike", or if you pay pay for brands like X, Y or Z, you'll get far superior quality and never regret it.

Instead, I got a bunch of butt hurt old men giving snarky defensive answers. My takeaway from the majority of responses is this is a group of people who overspend on their hobbies, just like with any other hobby, and don't you dare question it becuase even their families think their sick. Sad.
You really expected us to read your mind? Why ask for our input at all, looks like you got it all figured out.

So many of you people on this thread are a bunch of insecure "how dare you question me" elitist jerks. I asked an honest question that was meant to help me. I am personally very wealthy but like to make smart buying decisions. I really didn't know where to set my budget amount. Typically, the more you spend, the better you get....to a point. Then the law of diminishing returns sets in. I was hoping some of you would give me perspective on this decision. What I got were a bunch of snarky responses. I spend what i want. ? Don't question me ?

Well sorry you all feel so threatened. Sorry i used scooter as my comparion. Don't let me bruise your tender egos by calling your ebike a scooter. If i had known you all were so sensitive, I would have said thoroughbread steed or Dom Perignon. Sooooooooory.

I think by that reply we’re well aware of what your like, you also have very poor reading comprehension and seem to be insulted by other riders sharing their information on purchases made. Good luck with whatever you buy this is just a click bait thread.

You really expected us to read your mind? Why ask for our input at all, looks like you got it all figured out.
Sorry if I offended.....No, Im an ameteur and was hoping for thoughtful answers. May be my fault for possibly an unclear and....offensive sounding OP. Really thought the members here would assume the best of my intentions and answer with some good data

Last edited:
The Q-should have been -How much $ are you saving since buying your ebike ? Is irrelevant-if it was 2 or 5 or 7grand becouse:
- it cost 0.00- 0.50cents to do a full charge , so that is 30-130 free miles . Maybe higher ,it depends on the cost of electricity in your state.
And free -0.00$ if you use your own solar panels .
- it costs 0$ for parking
- 0$ for traffic tickets
- 0$ for towing tickets
-0$ for toll roads
-0.00$ for e bike wash as you can just wipe it down and reuse some rags
-0.00$ in Uber/Lyft rides
- never stuck in traffic (depending on how you value your time, it is a saving of (15-600$/hour )

- maybe 75-150$ /year for parts like casette/chain/tires vs 500-2000$ maintenance for a Car yearly.

So, after only a year , the savings are Huge. That’s what matters.
After 5years , you can basically buy a house(enough for down payment just from the savings ) vs an ICE car or even an EV car.

Then the health benefits are ENORMOUS-
- amazing fitness( Put a price on that ?)
- can ride and be free day after day , no worry about energy level. (Price on this ??)

Actually the cheaper the ebike , the less you will save. Is guaranteed that a 1grand ebike will not last too long and you’ll make many visits to the local deAler. From 2k and up is a good price to start.

To answer your q-
My 1st ebike 600$ and spent another 1.5k on repairs/upgrades in 1year

-2nd ebike - about 4grand - 5years warranty, 2years on the bat., but i can build the baterry myself after degradation. And after 3k miles already ,ZERO issues . Probably i had spent 50$ on electricity and maybe another 5-700$ just on fancy accessories just b/c it saved me huge amounts of mulah and TIME already.
Ps- also add about 5-7$ in rags for the ebike wash !

Last edited:
The Qshould have been -How much $ are you saving since buying your ebike ? Is irrelevantweather it was 2 or 5 or 7grand becouse:
- it cost 0.00- 0.50cents to do a full charge , so that is 30-130 free miles . Maybe higher ,it depends on the cost of electricity in your state.
And free -0.00$ if you use your own solar panels .
- it costs 0$ for parking
- 0$ for traffic tickets
- 0$ for towing tickets
-0$ for toll roads
You sound like the copy machine salesman that came to my office last week. Dont think about how much the machine costs, think of how much you'll save per page and how much more productive you'll be.

I know about the benefits but am still interested, foe science sake, how much the big spenders are spending and what they perceive they're getting above the 'average' ebike

My Raleigh Lore was $2500 at the time that I bought it (the price has since gone up to $3000). I had a rear rack added, a Terry women’s saddle, some handlebar spacers, swapped out the front handlebar for an extended one (it comes stock with mtb bars). That all added about $400 to the price, but I feel like I still got a great deal on the bike. It’s got the more powerful Bosch Performance Line Motor, the 500 watt battery, the Shimano Deore Shadow drivetrain, and super moto X tires. Also, it comes in a small frame.
It would never have been my first choice. I owe it to the group for recommending it. Also to Propel Bikes for suggesting the modifications.
I did a lot of research and was looking for value for the money.

You sound like the copy machine salesman that came to my office last week. Dont think about how much the machine costs, think of how much you'll save per page and how much more productive you'll be.

I know about the benefits but am still interested, foe science sake, how much the big spenders are spending and what they perceive they're getting above the 'average' ebike
The average ebike is either a Radpower , Magnum or a Juiced CC. Those are around 1.5-2.5k.
From 2.5-4k- better ebike brands , After 4k , You get even better components , electronic shifting, suspension, etc and get a higher number of compliments from passerby too.
Top ebikes are Riese&Muller , Stromer, Bulls , Evelo, Treks , Haibikes , BH, and maybe 8-9other smaller or overseas brAnds.
I wouldn’t spend higher then 7k for a high end ebike and that would be a R&M delite 1kw pack.
The big spenders have 4-5Stromers , or many other ebikes. Many toys vs 1-3 toys for the average e bike owner.

Last edited:
I would rather have an Ebike than an Escooter or motorcycle , and so to me your comparison is apples and oranges. like Dave Matthew with his guitars I have spent twice as much on a drum kit as my ebike. And if I had the spare cash on hand would buy a Riese and Muller Load , just to ferry my grandaughter and a few groceries around in!

Let me continue from the mountain bike perspective. The bikes are heavy....50+ lbs. The geometries are weird....doesnt seem like most manufacturers have mastered how the weight should sit. The engines are winy and underpowered (mids at 250W) and the batteries really aren't there as far as tech goes. A full day of riding is a stretch for most ebikes, much less a weekend in the mountains.

Hub drives overheat and feel disconnected, mid drives snap chains, give drag and feel notchy. Sure todays bikes are great and lots of fun, but still in an infancy. I'm really excited to see a silent, seemless extension of my legs that weighs 15kg and can assist me to whatever speed I like while still feeling stable, whether up or down a hill. I want shocks that don't need to be locked out while not giving any bobbing feeling, yet soaking up way more of the bumps. I want its engine and battery to be completely invisible and I want everything to last at least as long as thr 100,000 miles I expect from my car. I want a frame strong enough to strap in a 2nd seat to ride my 8 year old from school, and I want enough space for a waterbottle! I want bluetooth connectivity, app interface and wireless lighting. If I drop $12,000 on a bike today, you bet, if Im being honest with myself, it'll fall short in many ways, and Ill be itching for a new one in a few years and feeling a little remorse over my lighter wallet.

Well reported. I have nothing to add.

Back