Which suspension post for a comfort upright bike

There's a lot of sh1t on Amazon too and I avoid shopping there unless time is a factor.
In the end... Most EVERYTHING is coming from China whether it's making a few stops in the USA first or not is a minor detail.
Amazon has been overrun by China sellers. When is enough for Bezos?

The Suntour has different springs to install. I got mine from Germany and I bought with two different springs for a very small amount extra. It may not be as good as the Thudbuster or Kinekt but it helps quite a bit.
I got my Suntour suspension seatpost from e bay about $75. Special springs from Suntour.

I went for the Redshift Shockstop after doing the research, and along with all the reports that it does what it is supposed to i.e. smooth out the road imperfections, the understated looks appealed to me.
After adjusting the settings to my weight, 195 lbs, by inserting the second spring and dialling in the recommended setting, I jumped on and went for a trial ride. Even though I‘ve not tried any of the competitors Cane Creek/Kinect I was extremely impressed with the Shockstop, handling every rough area of road and pothole with ease, never having to raise off the seat. Also, prior to installing the post, my rides involved wearing the padded undershorts and even an added pair of folded socks inserted down the backside to help the tailbone. Since Shockstop I can now hit the road without any padding!
My rear end definitely loves this product and works really well with my Brooks Cambium C17 saddle.
Ride safe (and comfortably)
Graeme 1962ADC1-59C4-4C3F-A3AD-9CA5F3F880A1.jpeg

Happy to hear that you’re satisfied with the Shockstop. It’s important to be comfortable and only you, not others, not manufacturers. You. Good luck and enjoy your rides.

Ok... My dyslexic arss may have flock'd up.
I decided to pull the trigger on a Suntour NCX... so I pulled out my current seatpost and saw that it was marked 26.8mm. Double checked it with calipers and it was dead on.
So when searching I saw that it was offered at 27.2 and 28.6 with a bushing, so I ordered the latter.
About a half an hour or so later something was telling me to double check my measurement and that's when I realized 26.8 and 28.6 are two different numbers 🤪
So then I measured the seat tube and it measures exactly 27.2mm
The seller offers free returns.. But I'd hate to see them go through the trouble of sending it out and having to cover a return..

Having never replaced a seatpost, anyone have any experience on how tight the tolerances are on these things and if the one ordered if used without the bushing should work?

There isn’t any tolerance. Anything less and up to your measurement of 27.2 will work. A 26.8 will work with a shim, but a 28.6 would be too big. You also have to know the length. If it’s too long, then you might be sitting too high, and if it’s too short, you may be sitting too low. All measurements should be on the post. Good luck and if they take returns, don’t be concerned.

Thanks... Length is not an issue as it will be pretty much fully inserted.
The 26.8mm post works fine without a bushing and it's the post that came with the bike new.
The 27.2mm measurement is at the top of the tube where it's split so I can't be sure it doesn't get a little tighter further down.
I measured the outside of the tube at 32.4mm and then the wall at 2.6mm so that should give me 27.2mm
My calipers are not NASA certified so I'd have to think there is some error allowance...and it's just to close to be sure without actually fitting it.
Wondering if 26.8.mm and 27.2mm are interchangeable since they are so close?.... we're talking a 64th of an inch?

Gionnirocket, I’m going to reserve my judgment and suggest that you contact the manufacturer or try it and if it don’t fit, return it. Good luck.

Gionnirocket, if that order hasn't already shipped, I would contact the seller ASAP and try to get the correct one shipped. "Close" is never good enough if you can get the right one.

Gionnirocket, if that order hasn't already shipped, I would contact the seller ASAP and try to get the correct one shipped. "Close" is never good enough if you can get the right one.
Problem is that 27.2 is the smallest available.

I went for the Redshift Shockstop after doing the research, and along with all the reports that it does what it is supposed to i.e. smooth out the road imperfections, the understated looks appealed to me.
After adjusting the settings to my weight, 195 lbs, by inserting the second spring and dialling in the recommended setting, I jumped on and went for a trial ride. Even though I‘ve not tried any of the competitors Cane Creek/Kinect I was extremely impressed with the Shockstop, handling every rough area of road and pothole with ease, never having to raise off the seat. Also, prior to installing the post, my rides involved wearing the padded undershorts and even an added pair of folded socks inserted down the backside to help the tailbone. Since Shockstop I can now hit the road without any padding!
My rear end definitely loves this product and works really well with my Brooks Cambium C17 saddle.
Ride safe (and comfortably)
GraemeView attachment 63372
I have the same seatpost and saddle combo on my Vado 5.0 and I’m really satisfied with the Shockstop’s ride. I weigh just over 60kg (135lb) + clothing and set the post to 65kg.
The Cambium saddle has a good shape and I like it ( I don’t wear padded pants) but I’m not sure if will be ok for me for rides longer than 25 miles without padding.

Last edited:
Gionnirocket, I’m going to reserve my judgment and suggest that you contact the manufacturer or try it and if it don’t fit, return it. Good luck.

No worries.. Since the bike is 12 years old I think I'm on my own here.

When I slide the current post in there is a few microns of wiggle with the clamp loose so I have hope.

Worst case if I'm determined to make it work I'll figure a way and sand both surfaces. I'm 165lbs at my worst and I don't think a tenth of a millimeter or two of material is going to be a problem. If anything it'll fit tighter than my current post 🙃

Thanks for the input!

Ok to make up for my previous brain_fart I came up with wrapping the current post with tape until it measured 27.2mm.
It slid in nicey_nice 😊
If the Suntour NCX is true to its dimensions it should be a go.
False alarm here...nothing to see....

The OP asked about the best, not the cheapest. Kinekt is the best in quality, functionality, reputation for company service and warranty. It is also the easiest to customize to rider weight with color coded springs that are easy to interchange and a readily accessible preload adjustment. Made in the USA as well.

Kinekt is the best in quality
Agreed, leaving the Suntour in second place IME. At a substantial discount. The shop I help only sells KINEKT. Great warranty service from KINEKT. Suntour? good luck...

Last edited:
The Suntour mechanism has a vulnerable, point of contact metal to metal, wear surface that does not hold up over time. The Kinekt has easily replaced nylon bushings at all contact point. I have not ridden either one to the point of failure but have put over 18,000 miles on the Kinekt in the past 2.5 years.

Kinekt also has an easily accessible adjusted preload and interchangeable, color coded springs based on rider weight. I think the Kinekt is more effective at delivering smoother comfort, without excessive bobbing when properly sprung and adjusted.

Both companies offer good warranty service. Kinekt is made in the USA in my home town of Bellingham, WA, really good people that I can vouch for.

Back