Which suspension post for a comfort upright bike

I bought an SR Suntour seatpost from AliExpress.
Very good quality and what a difference!

I used to have this cheap one that's similar to Zoom suspension seat post and it is a lot smoother.

I've been considering getting one of these for a while now.
My problem is that I currently have my seat post as low as it will go and I'm comfortable with the seating position... any higher and I get neck/back strain.
If you wouldn't mind (or anyone else that has one : ) would you mind taking a measurement from the locking ring to the seat rails in the lowest allowable position?

I've been considering getting one of these for a while now.
My problem is that I currently have my seat post as low as it will go and I'm comfortable with the seating position... any higher and I get neck/back strain.
If you wouldn't mind (or anyone else that has one : ) would you mind taking a measurement from the locking ring to the seat rails in the lowest allowable position?

I was running into the same problem. I found the ShockStop had the shortest minimum extension at 90mm from seat tube to seat rails.

I couldn't find info on the Suntour, but eyeballing it in a couple of videos/photos online I was guessing about 110-120mm.

I was running into the same problem. I found the ShockStop had the shortest minimum extension at 90mm from seat tube to seat rails.

I couldn't find info on the Suntour, but eyeballing it in a couple of videos/photos online I was guessing about 110-120mm.

THANKS!
That's actually lower than my entry level spring loaded seat post that came with the bicycle measuring in at 108mm
My current one really isn't that bad and I definitely feel myself riding the spring on bumps... But as with all toys we just have to keep playing and upgrading 👍

Attachments

• seat post.jpg
    seat post.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 352
No rush...
But if you can measure from the post lock to the seat rails when extended to its minimum as in this example measuring in at 90mm

Attachments

• IMG_20200823_131744_970.JPG
    IMG_20200823_131744_970.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 317
Just another endorsement for the Kinekt. It can be gotten at 25% discount pretty often which brings it from exorbitantly expensive to just expensive.

My lower back pain disappeared the day I installed it. After that it was just a matter of dialing in the firmness. As my co-worker said when I told him how much it was: "it's still cheaper than the chiropractor."

Like steve_rolfeca I went back to my stock saddle which is now perfectly comfortable with the Kinekt. I ended up using 1 spring firmer than my weight class as there was more travel than I needed with the installed spring.

Just another endorsement for the Kinekt. It can be gotten at 25% discount pretty often which brings it from exorbitantly expensive to just expensive.

My lower back pain disappeared the day I installed it. After that it was just a matter of dialing in the firmness. As my co-worker said when I told him how much it was: "it's still cheaper than the chiropractor."

Like steve_rolfeca I went back to my stock saddle which is now perfectly comfortable with the Kinekt. I ended up using 1 spring firmer than my weight class as there was more travel than I needed with the installed spring.

Not haven tried out a Kinekt, it appears my Suntour moves very similarly to the Kinekt-more back and forth as opposed to straight up and down? I know I like my Suntour so much, I ordered 1 more to put on my Sport...

Not haven tried out a Kinekt, it appears my Suntour moves very similarly to the Kinekt-more back and forth as opposed to straight up and down? I know I like my Suntour so much, I ordered 1 more to put on my Sport...
Well, it's a parallelogram config but the horizontal movement is pretty minimal compared to the vertical travel: something like 1 cm of lateral to 3.5 cm of vertical travel.

I was planning on getting the Satori or Suntour, but when I needed to order the prices were significantly up on those and I wasn't willing to wait weeks/months to get one from Asia.

Ended up paying $65 more than the Suntour was going for on Amazon but had the Kinekt 36 hours later. I was able to return the $100 saddle I was testing so I figure it's a wash.

Glad the Suntour is working for you!

High air volume tires like the Schwalbe Super Moto X (run at 30-35 psi) and Kinekt post will make a world of difference.
Kinekt is a bit more expensive but it is easily serviceable, highly adjustable and has minimal horizontal movement compared to others.
We may see new posts in the coming years but for now, Kinekt is the most compliant system out there.

Recent orders from Aiexpress stores have been even slower than usual. One needs to be mindful buying from those stores. Counterfeit parts are VERY common.

Hey Thomas... How would you recognize a counterfeit Suntour?
Aliexpress has a pretty good policy for a full refund if you can prove items are not authentic.
And lately things have gotten better with shipping. I've received recent orders in as little as 10 days and at most 20 days with the average pretty much in the middle.
But I agree.. You do need to be careful and understand the risk of shopping there.

Aliexpress has a pretty good policy for a full refund if you can prove items are not authentic.
And lately things have gotten better with shipping. I've received recent orders in as little as 10 days and at most 20 days with the average pretty much in the middle.
But I agree.. You do need to be careful and understand the risk of shopping there.

Mine may be counterfeit but it's a heck of a lot better that the pogo stick I bought from Satori early on...

Mine may be counterfeit but it's a heck of a lot better that the pogo stick I bought from Satori early on...

There's a lot of sh1t on Amazon too and I avoid shopping there unless time is a factor.
In the end... Most EVERYTHING is coming from China whether it's making a few stops in the USA first or not is a minor detail.

I think a lot of us learned that lesson the hard way. I know I did!

There are great resellers on aliexpress. I always review the feedback and have found ratings to be typically honest. Sadly fellas go there and make orders without carefully vetting the reseller. I buy from Aliexpress stores when I can't find on USA reselle. I'm ALWAYS willing to pay a premium to USA sellers if they have the product I need/want.

Back