Which eMTB to consider? (bought a Levo Comp)

The Trek Police caught my attention for a long time which was selling for $3499US. When it came time to pull the trigger on one, company policy changed availability. One of my favorites.👍

Check out the Delfast bikes... they also make a Police model. ;)

Last edited:
The YT Decoy e-bikes offered in Europe might be different. For example, the YT Decoy 29 Base has the Steps7000. The base model is EUR4000 (not that expensive). No dealer, online sales.

I've just found Turbo Levo FSR (2019) in a store in Białystok (some 250 km/155 mi) from home. The colour is yellow-green (they call it celadone) which I like very much. The price is $5000 (bikes are more expensive here than they are in the U.S.) If they confirm availability, payment & delivery terms, I may go for it now.

The page describes the components in English.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

View attachment 52045
This is interesting. A friend that I ride with purchased this exact bike/color last year in size large with 29ers. I ride a Haibike F/S in size small. What surprised me most about this bike was the standover height. I was able to straddle the top tube without issue. I am 5'5" tall and he is over 6ft tall. Another example of extreme differences in frame geometries.
Edit:
rims:Roval Traverse 29, hookless alloy, 30mm inner width, tubeless ready-These are Specialized proprietary wheels.

OptiBike R15C
Carbon Fiber
52V 31.5Ah battery
190Nm of torque
1650W nominal, 2500W max

R15C-gloss-black-red-left-outdoors-1536x1152.jpg
It would be interesting to observe someone getting killed on a technical single trail riding that bike...

My sour comment to so many e-bikes you've shown @Timpo is these are as unpractical on the single trail as many SUVs pretending to be off-road cars....

@FlatSix911, fancy a very heavy e-bike on a steep climb, wet rocks, pumping 190 Nm and 2 kW in the rear wheel... And the bike falling backwards on the rider. Or fancy riding that on a technical downhill trail.

Last edited:
My sour comment to so many e-bikes you've shown @Timpo is these are as unpractical on the single trail as many SUVs pretending to be off-road cars....

@FlatSix911, fancy a very heavy e-bike on a steep climb, wet rocks, pumping 190 Nm and 2 kW in the rear wheel... And the bike falling backwards on the rider. Or fancy riding that on a technical downhill trail.

It would be interesting to observe someone getting killed on a technical single trail riding that bike...

Your comment is a bit offensive. Off-road motorcycles and riders have been riding steeps and technical downhills for years... YMMV. ;)

Your comment is a bit offensive. Off-road motorcycles and riders have been riding steeps and technical downhills for years... YMMV. ;)
I apologise.

It is not without reason Specialized have released Turbo Levo SL, "The Stumpjumper on Sterides". Your comment? Besides, how many trails more would be closed to e-bikes if those monsters appeared there?

I agree with you Bob. Turbo Levo size M is a tall bike. I've checked the standover height very carefully.
P.S. The Levo size S has the same standover height as the size M!

I have a 2018 Turbo Levo size M. I am 5'6" tall with a 28" inseam. This bike fits my size perfectly, I needed the longer top tube to extend my arms. The bike did come with a dropper seat post and I am able to put both feet on the ground with the post as low as it will go.

Maybe this will help with the sizing questions. I do love this bike.

OptiBike R15C
Carbon Fiber
52V 31.5Ah battery
190Nm of torque
1650W nominal, 2500W max

R15C-gloss-black-red-left-outdoors-1536x1152.jpg
This bike is crazy cool! o_O Have not seen many eMTBs that can even compare to this build. In a class of its own at 14k. Thanks for posting.

I have a 2018 Turbo Levo size M. I am 5'6" tall with a 28" inseam. This bike fits my size perfectly, I needed the longer top tube to extend my arms. The bike did come with a dropper seat post and I am able to put both feet on the ground with the post as low as it will go.

Maybe this will help with the sizing questions. I do love this bike.
Mike, I am not sure if I understand the matter of the standover height. Your 28" inseam is 711 mm while the bike standover height size M is 760 mm (29.9 in). Are you talking your inseam or the distance from your crotch down to the floor? My "standover height" (the latter value) is 780 mm (30.7 in), so it would be less than inch between my crotch and the bike's top tube when I'm straddling it?

The integrated 700+ plus packs are a very nice upgrade.
The 2020 base Levo got a dropper seat, the 500w pack. It's a really nice bike. But for a grand more you get the bigger pack and better everything else - brakes, gears, suspension, etc. it's kind of a no-brainier if you have the budget.
Chris, what could you say about "range" on a 500 Wh battery? I reckon it is more climbing than just distance-riding on the trail. You ride a lot and I'm curious about how far and with what elevation gain you could make your ride. (Your Trance is 500 Wh one, right?) Riding style, assist levels used. Then I can estimate what more could be achieved with 700 W. I agree, it is a grand more (and one-and-half grand more in Europe).

Last edited:
Chris, what could you say about "range" on a 500 Wh battery? I reckon it is more climbing than just distance-riding on the trail. You ride a lot and I'm curious about how far and with what elevation gain you could make your ride. (Your Trance is 500 Wh one, right?) Riding style, assist levels used. Then I can estimate what more could be achieved with 700 W. I agree, it is a grand more (and one-and-half grand more in Europe).

For trail riding my range seems to calculate out to about 30 miles. On road with the tires pumped up I might get 40. I have not tried hyper-miling, trying to get the most out of it.

My longest trek has been about 24 miles and the pack had about 20% charge remaining, mostly flat with a few short steep hills that I climb in mode 5. Pdoz says that's horrible range, but the assist is pretty much on the entire time. If you coast down hills you get better range. 😊

The Turbo Levo Comp for 2020 has the 700w pack.
Here's the whole range for US market: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/bikes/turbo-e-bikes/e-mountain-bikes/turbo-levo/c/eturbolevo?q=:price-desc:archived:false:productFamily:Turbo+Levo#/sort:ss_price:desc/filter:productfamily:Turbo$2520Levo

Personally I would not spend the $$ for the carbon, it's about $2300 more. The Comp is already enough at $5975. The base Levo is a grand less. The 'S-Works' for twelve-grand is simply not in my realm. Nice bike for sure, but gee wizz that's a lot of $$ for a bicycle. OTOH, a fellow at my local Giant store bought a LIV Intrigue for his wife, and had them completely strip the bike and add $5K worth of upgrades to it - some ten or twelve thousand for the bike out the door. People have more money than brains. LOL. I guess the guy has spent some forty or fifty thousand on bikes at the store. They just do whatever he wants. 😋

As I have mentioned, for that thousand USD upgrade from base to comp, you not only get the $1300 pack (exchange is likely a little less, I think about a thousand) but you also get a whole array of upgraded components including the 36m Lyric fork. I think the colors are better too, but I digress. The base levo in blue is really attractive. The comp still comes in the mud-tan matt finish.

I always forget these are 29'rs. Pro's and cons', but the 27.5" wheelsets have a reputation for durability, strength, handling.

When I was shopping, the leftover 2019 Comps were $5200, but they still had the 500w pack. I liked the mud-tan color! 😍

Having gone direct to the manufacturer/importer and test-ridden the carbon YT Decoy, it offered more value for the $$ involved. And since they were just down the coast from us I didn't have the 'mail-order' stigma for support, which made the option more attractive. You just get more bike for a little less money. Also a 29'r, carbon frame, all top-notch components. They are really nice bikes.

The Brose power is the quietest of the bunch. Shimano next, Yamaha last. All have similar power, with the Yam being the punchiest down low, lower cadence support.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists) (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
...and had them completely strip the bike and add $5K worth of upgrades to it - some ten or twelve thousand for the bike out the door. People have more money than brains. LOL. I guess the guy has spent some forty or fifty thousand on bikes at the store. They just do whatever he wants. 😋
Yard sales for these bikes are gonna be wild someday. Someone's gonna find one of these in Goodwill rack.

Mike, I am not sure if I understand the matter of the standover height. Your 28" inseam is 711 mm while the bike standover height size M is 760 mm (29.9 in). Are you talking your inseam or the distance from your crotch down to the floor? My "standover height" (the latter value) is 780 mm (30.7 in), so it would be less than inch between my crotch and the bike's top tube when I'm straddling it?

My inseam is 28" with no shoes, with shoes add an inch. Using the straddle height measurement is hard because on a mountain bike the top tube has so many different heights due to bends and slopes of the design. You will also lose height when the suspension sags with you weight. I just measured my seat height with the dropper down, 35.5", yet I can touch both feet on the ground and feel comfortable. The sag will lower this 1 to 1.5 inches. I know this seems weird but I am comfortable with this height.

I just had to have the longer top tube the medium size provides. I did raise the stem to take some load off my wrists.

I mostly use the bike on dirt, gravel, and pavement, very little single track, I'm just too old and cautious.

Using the straddle height measurement is hard because on a mountain bike the top tube has so many different heights due to bends and slopes of the design.
That's why Specialized give the bike standover height at the bottom part of the top tube. A tall e-bike, that Turbo Levo!

@Browneye, this year's collection for Levos has sold out in Europe. Waiting for 2021 bikes.

Yard sales for these bikes are gonna be wild someday. Someone's gonna find one of these in Goodwill rack.

I had a chance to buy the wheelset for $200. Maybe I should still do that - could put road tires on them. [shrug]
The custom got anodized colors spoke nipples, bling hubs, I don't even remember all the doo-dads, of which there were many, and many I've never even heard of. 😋

Around here, we have some extremely hard core motorbike riders who have been cutting and riding single line trails for decades. In 2018 they started riding emtb and the trails they now cut are not suitable for motorbikes (perhaps very skilled trials riders with masochistic traits...). This is one of their MOTORBIKE trails - I struggled to get up it on my emtb - so I don't ride their emtb trails!!

I consider myself a decent motorbike rider but a below average mtb rider, I'll tackle stuff on the emtb that I wouldn't even consider on a ktm

Attachments

• 93B1FA2D-1F60-40AD-9CCC-7322F4B9025E.jpeg
    93B1FA2D-1F60-40AD-9CCC-7322F4B9025E.jpeg
    496.6 KB · Views: 361
Back