Which eMTB to consider? (bought a Levo Comp)

I'm a big guy, 6'3" and 250#. I used to ride quite a lot, both road and trails, but nothing savage. Ankle/back/knee issues take their toll as time passes. I've been off a bike for several years, mainly due to knee tendon pains.

Fast-forward to now I want to get an e-Bike. I've tried several at local shops and it seems I'm leaning toward something in the 'mountain bike' category.

I very much liked the way a Specialized Turbo Levo rode, save for one big problem... the rear suspension. Even with it pumped up a fair bit (according to the shop) it squished too much. Enough such that rear reflector rubbed the tire a few times during some pretty mild urban street/parking lot testing. I'm told the Kenevo's spring would handle it better, but they're apparently sold out in the XL frame size. The Levo I tested as the large, and I'd like something with just a little more reach/height.

I also tried Riese and Muller, both a Delite and an Homage. The switch gear was nice but overall they drove link an anvil. I want a more lively ride. I also very much disliked the way the Rohloff changes gears. Oh, don't get me wrong, I understand why it works that way, I'm just saying it wasn't to my liking.

Likewise a Gazelle. I have zero desire to ride a commuter bike. Nor a Rad (see previous anvil comment).

I'm not concerned about price point (or I wouldn't have been looking at the aforementioned bikes). But I would like to get something that's not comprised of a bunk of lashed together chinese junk. Oh sure, you can get quite a bang for your buck if you're prepared for a lot of randomness. I'm not looking for that. I want decent quality and integration and am willing to pay for it.

I'm looking for a bike capable of all-around riding. From urban streets to light woodland trails. I have no desire to be hammering downhills or scaling rocky ledges. Most riding is probably going to be with my 11 year old son, who currently has a Specialized fat-tire Riprock. The rest would likely be for exercise, on suburban streets and various trails in the MD/DC area. No commuting, no need to mix with heavy vehicular traffic.

I'm fine with pedal assist only. I wouldn't reject having a throttle but PAS is enough for my needs.

My biggest concern is handlebar positioning options. On past bikes I've gone through a wide variety of handlebar arrangements to help deal with wrist pains. A lifetime of IT work means it's very uncomfortable to have my hands in a fixed orientation for 'too long'. Having bar ends or other options gives me variability to avoid pain. Thus any bike I'm going to consider needs to be able to accommodate normal handlebar accessories. I don't want to limit my longer-term options because of a vendor-proprietary gooseneck/handlebar diameter setup.

So what other mountain e-bikes should I be considering?
Exhibit A =https://moustachebikes.com/en/electric-bikes/samedi-27-xroad/samedi-27-xroad-fs-7/ / / Exhibit B : Note Norco prices in CDN $ = https://www.norco.com/bikes/e-mountain/ Exhibit C = https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/electric-mountain-bikes/c/B512/ Perhaps you do not need a true MTB ,then something like this Exhibit D :https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/...townie-path-go-10d/p/26947/?colorCode=reddark

Last edited:
What!?! I would have seen you more as a Moustache e-MTB type. I think that you can even get one of those women's wide seats from them ;)
Friends. Specialized Turbo Levo, one of the best e-MTBs in the market, is sold and supported locally, and the dreaded skleprowerowy.pl is not the exclusive dealer of Specialized e-bikes in Warsaw :D Moustache Bikes have poor representation in Poland and they didn't even care to answer my e-mail to them... OK, I could look to Cannondale or Trek or Giant and to others but the Levo is my dream.

Last edited:
Off-road is surely a new adventure! 👍
Turbo Levo Comp is surely a great eMTB.
I tested one out, and the new SL, and liked the Comp with the bigger pack well enough to buy one. Nearly went with a mud-colored 2019. The 2020 was nearly twice the $$ as the Trance I got. It came down to perceived value.

I'd rather make an mountain bike look awkward with added trekking accessories than try to take a commuter bike on trails. That harkens back to days as a kid having done just that, rearranging parts on a beast of a cruising bike to make a monster for downhills at a local track behind a school (those in Baltimore might remember the woods behind St. Mathews, Herring Run or Loch Raven). It was a chore getting that monster up the hills for those, but the downhills were AMAZING. Upside was my bike was the truck that had a rack on which we'd lug a pump and tools. As a Dad, I'm still the support wagon, albeit a lot better funded now!

The Trek Police (and other law enforcement-ish) hardtail models are interesting.

As is that Samedi Xroad FS, but the frame makes it look like the riding position is more condensed/upright than I might like. But their listed dealer is in NYC, nowhere near me and in kind of a 'hot zone' right now. Where it not for the viral outbreaks I'd welcome the opportunity to take a train ride for some shopping. But right now... not gonna happen.

A 2019 Levo Comp Carbon costs less than the 2020 Levo Comp but the newer model has a larger battery...
@Browneye, I know you're the Giant man but have you tried the Trek Powerfly?

I couldn't get any of our local dealers to bring one in. :confused:

The integrated 700+ plus packs are a very nice upgrade.
The 2020 base Levo got a dropper seat, the 500w pack. It's a really nice bike. But for a grand more you get the bigger pack and better everything else - brakes, gears, suspension, etc. it's kind of a no-brainier if you have the budget.

I came to prefer an alloy frame for my purposes. I'm relatively sure if I was thirty years younger I would be a big CF fan. 👍 I would also want greater (best) range capacity.

The Yamaha drive system is more of what I'm a fan of, than Giant. If Haibike had been more well represented here, or even BH, I might well have bought either of them.

It's time for Yamaha to produce an extended range pack, not just an add-on piggy-back type of offering.

Chris, that's very strange. I ran the "Compare" on the Specialized website (Levo Comp vs Levo) and all components were almost same* except the battery and the dropper post... Perhaps it is different on the U.S. site?
--------------
*) I mean, significant components. The SRAM NX vs GX is not a significant difference... Different SRAM brakes but 4-piston 200 mm in both cases. Same shocks and suspension...

Last edited:
The Trek Police (and other law enforcement-ish) hardtail models are interesting...
The LAPD went with the Bulls Sentinel. It is currently 'on sale' and eligible for the extra $300 off using the code 'EBIKEHORNSUP'

https://www.bullsbikesusa.com/sentinel.html

Review:
https://electricbikeaction.com/bulls-sentinel/

It looks like they have also put some Bulls Monster E S's in patrol service specifically at the beaches:
http://www.lapdonline.org/pacific_community_police_station/news_view/65693

I think that they have added the Bulls fat tire bikes since Bulls was so willing to work directly with them to develop the Sentinel to meet their original patrol e-bike specifications.

Chris, that's very strange. I ran the "Compare" on the Specialized website (Levo Comp vs Levo) and all components were almost same* except the battery and the dropper post... Perhaps it is different on the U.S. site?
--------------
*) I mean, significant components. The SRAM NX vs GX is not a significant difference... Different SRAM brakes but 4-piston 200 mm in both cases. Same shocks and suspension...

The two side by side I saw in the shop, base levo and comp, the latter had substantially better fork and shock, bigger longer fork, and the 700w pack.
Surely the brakes and derailleur could be nearly the same.

When the sale price came up over seven grand I kept shopping. Too rich for me. 😋
Beautiful bikes though, for sure. Top of the line, it's more or less the currentl yardstick for comparing bikes. "Does it beat a levo-comp??"

The first time I saw them was back last thanksgiving holiday when we were in Specialized NA home town in Morgan Hill CA. Very nice dealer there, nice shop. They had a sale going on but I had not been completely swayed over to actually getting a MTB yet.

Riding one is what got me hooked - my first time out was on the YT Decoy. I had a hard time keeping it on the trail and pedaling at the same time. After about a half hour on the bike it was starting to be fun. The YT Decoy is a hella good value for what you get - componentry and build quality are top notch. The company is very serious about their bikes - the electrics are now a new addition to their line up. They chose Shimano Steps8000. Their frames are a work of art, and both alloy and CF rear-subframes, DTSwiss wheels, shadow-plus shifter. And they are 29'rs.

The YT Decoy e-bikes offered in Europe might be different. For example, the YT Decoy 29 Base has the Steps7000. The base model is EUR4000 (not that expensive). No dealer, online sales.

I've just found Turbo Levo FSR (2019) in a store in Białystok (some 250 km/155 mi) from home. The colour is yellow-green (they call it celadone) which I like very much. The price is $5000 (bikes are more expensive here than they are in the U.S.) If they confirm availability, payment & delivery terms, I may go for it now.

The page describes the components in English.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

1589126781596.png

Last edited:
That model was a different color here. One of the dealers had a couple leftovers for $4300, plus $200 to add a dropper seatpost.
Great value here, nice bike.

The YT Decoy may well have had the S7000 drive. My memory isn't quite photographic anymore. 😄

Friends. Specialized Turbo Levo, one of the best e-MTBs in the market, is sold and supported locally, and the dreaded skleprowerowy.pl is not the exclusive dealer of Specialized e-bikes in Warsaw :D Moustache Bikes have poor representation in Poland and they didn't even care to answer my e-mail to them... OK, I could look to Cannondale or Trek or Giant and to others but the Levo is my dream.
Sure thing! It is all about personal preference. I test rode the Expert at a bike expo and it felt very well engineered on many levels. Go for it and hope you score your dream bike! Cheers!

A 2019 Levo Comp Carbon costs less than the 2020 Levo Comp but the newer model has a larger battery...
@Browneye, I know you're the Giant man but have you tried the Trek Powerfly?
Test rode the 2019 Trek Powerfly at a LBS dealer which was also a candidate. At the time, I had my radar focused on the Police Bike, however, they would not sell to "civilian" riders due to a change in company policy.

I'd rather make an mountain bike look awkward with added trekking accessories than try to take a commuter bike on trails. That harkens back to days as a kid having done just that, rearranging parts on a beast of a cruising bike to make a monster for downhills at a local track behind a school (those in Baltimore might remember the woods behind St. Mathews, Herring Run or Loch Raven). It was a chore getting that monster up the hills for those, but the downhills were AMAZING. Upside was my bike was the truck that had a rack on which we'd lug a pump and tools. As a Dad, I'm still the support wagon, albeit a lot better funded now!

The Trek Police (and other law enforcement-ish) hardtail models are interesting.

As is that Samedi Xroad FS, but the frame makes it look like the riding position is more condensed/upright than I might like. But their listed dealer is in NYC, nowhere near me and in kind of a 'hot zone' right now. Where it not for the viral outbreaks I'd welcome the opportunity to take a train ride for some shopping. But right now... not gonna happen.
The Trek Police caught my attention for a long time which was selling for $3499US. When it came time to pull the trigger on one, company policy changed availability. One of my favorites.👍

Back