Which eMTB to consider? (bought a Levo Comp)

wkearney99

I'm a big guy, 6'3" and 250#. I used to ride quite a lot, both road and trails, but nothing savage. Ankle/back/knee issues take their toll as time passes. I've been off a bike for several years, mainly due to knee tendon pains.

Fast-forward to now I want to get an e-Bike. I've tried several at local shops and it seems I'm leaning toward something in the 'mountain bike' category.

I very much liked the way a Specialized Turbo Levo rode, save for one big problem... the rear suspension. Even with it pumped up a fair bit (according to the shop) it squished too much. Enough such that rear reflector rubbed the tire a few times during some pretty mild urban street/parking lot testing. I'm told the Kenevo's spring would handle it better, but they're apparently sold out in the XL frame size. The Levo I tested as the large, and I'd like something with just a little more reach/height.

I also tried Riese and Muller, both a Delite and an Homage. The switch gear was nice but overall they drove link an anvil. I want a more lively ride. I also very much disliked the way the Rohloff changes gears. Oh, don't get me wrong, I understand why it works that way, I'm just saying it wasn't to my liking.

Likewise a Gazelle. I have zero desire to ride a commuter bike. Nor a Rad (see previous anvil comment).

I'm not concerned about price point (or I wouldn't have been looking at the aforementioned bikes). But I would like to get something that's not comprised of a bunk of lashed together chinese junk. Oh sure, you can get quite a bang for your buck if you're prepared for a lot of randomness. I'm not looking for that. I want decent quality and integration and am willing to pay for it.

I'm looking for a bike capable of all-around riding. From urban streets to light woodland trails. I have no desire to be hammering downhills or scaling rocky ledges. Most riding is probably going to be with my 11 year old son, who currently has a Specialized fat-tire Riprock. The rest would likely be for exercise, on suburban streets and various trails in the MD/DC area. No commuting, no need to mix with heavy vehicular traffic.

I'm fine with pedal assist only. I wouldn't reject having a throttle but PAS is enough for my needs.

My biggest concern is handlebar positioning options. On past bikes I've gone through a wide variety of handlebar arrangements to help deal with wrist pains. A lifetime of IT work means it's very uncomfortable to have my hands in a fixed orientation for 'too long'. Having bar ends or other options gives me variability to avoid pain. Thus any bike I'm going to consider needs to be able to accommodate normal handlebar accessories. I don't want to limit my longer-term options because of a vendor-proprietary gooseneck/handlebar diameter setup.

So what other mountain e-bikes should I be considering?

Here is a good place to start your search... the EBR Best Bike categories for full suspension and hardtail EMTB.

Best Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bikes of 2020
Explore all of the full suspension electric mountain bikes I’ve reviewed (ordered by date) on the category page here.

February 11, 2020
Specialized Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon Review

• MSRP: $9,025
  • MODEL YEAR: 2020
  • One of the most satisfying lightweight full suspension electric mountain bikes available... just 38.8lbs total! Uses a proprietary mid-drive motor and downtube-integrated battery pack that weigh under 8.3lbs combined. Optional range extender bottle-shaped batteries weigh 2.3lbs, are easy to use, and the control system allows for simultaneous or independent drawdown. You can even remove the downtube battery and rely solely on the range extender packs, which may be eligible for commercial air travel. Boost hub spacing for strength, varied front and rear tire for improved handling and traction,……

December 2, 2019
BULLS COPPERHEAD EVO AM 3 Review

• MSRP: $5,899
  • MODEL YEAR: 2020
  • An all-mountain style electric bike with longer travel 150mm air suspension from Fox with thicker stanchions and preload + rebound tuning, internal Powertube 625 battery looks great and offers 25% more range, perfect charge port and locking core position on upper right side of frame. Mid-sized 2.8" plus sized tires provide increased traction, reduced deflection, and improved comfort but are…

Best Hardtail Electric Mountain Bikes of 2020
Explore all of the hardtail electric mountain bikes I’ve reviewed (ordered by date) on the category page here.

May 23, 2019
BULLS TWENTY9 EVO 1 Review

• MSRP: $3,899
  • MODEL YEAR: 2019, 2020
  • A capable and well-balanced hardtail mountain bike with 29” tires, hydraulic disc brakes, high capacity battery, and a reliable Bosch Performance Line CX Motor. Great Kenda Ace of Pace tires, 29” with 30-50psi, they give you some great float…

Last edited:
I wonder if the bike shop could help research shock options for the Levo? I love mine but weigh about 175lbs so not bottoming mine out but there are any number of different shocks that might be better suited for you and your needs. The key is fit and cost, of course.

Seems like you're a candidate for a 'hardtail'. There are some great options for not nearly as much $$ as a full-suspension (FS) eMTB. OTOH you can lock out a rear shock for road, and with some smoother tires they do go pretty good. I've got one of each. ;)

I always recommend something from the 'big-3' - Specialized, Trek, or Giant, as they comprise the bulk of the market share in NA, and all three have an excellent dealer network. For me it got down to choosing a competent dealer - it can be the difference between joy and dread for ebike ownership.

We have a pretty fun thread going about electric mountain bikes over in the offroad section. Perhaps you can glean some info there.

For someone new to ebikes, I recommend you visit as many dealers and try as many bikes as you can stand. You'll come away with a much better understanding of what might best suit your needs and wants, and you'll recognize a good deal when you see one.

Good luck and let us know what you find, what you decide on. Oh, and don't wait too long, the supply chain is drying up/delaying, and the shops are running out of bikes.

Seems like you're a candidate for a 'hardtail'....
I wholeheartedly agree.

I'm an inch taller but only 5# lighter than you and I was amazed at the lively, playful yet solid feel of my Grace MX II Trail hardtail. Not a bike I would recommend for someone new into ebikes (Grace no longer supports the U.S. market), but it sure opened my eyes as to what a well designed, manufactured and spec'd hardtail could do. Just as capable and fun on the street as it is on light trails, and no need to worry about being able to air up the rear shock properly (nor about the weight of the whole added rear suspension assembly).

Go out and check some dealers when you can and hopefully they will have some hardtails you can play on for an hour or so. And don't be concerned if they feel sluggish on the road due to off road tires with heavy knobs and potentially low pressures - tires come in so many flavors that you can easily get something which will give you the right balance for your riding mix.

Yeah, one of my past mountain bikes (a Votec-made Porsche Bike S) was a hardtail. Fantastically nimble and light for it's time. It's only downside was their unique handlebar mounting scheme, thus my interest in avoiding that again. It's not that I'm looking to find faults in things, I'm just tired of learning the hard way. I know for skilled riding there are significant benefits to a FS over a hardtail. I'm not that candidate, now even less than ever.

Checking other hardtail e-bikes has zero chance right now. Nobody's got anything decent in stock in the area. I'd love to try alternatives but with Covid and all, it's not as easy as one would hope. Bulls and BH are two I wouldn't mind trying out.

I hear ya on knobbies on the road. I once started a RAGBRAI on knobbies... only two days in and I switched to street slicks. Got a ton of funny looks, but the rest of the bike arrangement suited me perfectly at the time. That and upped the front chain ring to, iirc, a 56? Gotta love midwesterners and their ingenuity. The guys doing bike work on the route were fantastic about finding the pieces I needed to make the changes. I can read through how a bike might be equipped on one surface and not let it confuse me. But it's a good point to make for folks that might not.

Excellent point about market longevity. The US market is fickle and seems unable to sustain decent quality bike vendors. Lots of reasons why, the lack of bikes as a daily part of life being foremost.

Thus if as many components as possible are relatively 'standard' I'm willing to take some degree of risk. Shimano, Bosch, etc. Unlike random chinesium stuff that may or may not utilize reasonably standard mounting/sizing specs (to say nothing of crap materials).

Excellent point about market longevity. The US market is fickle and seems unable to sustain decent quality bike vendors. Lots of reasons why, the lack of bikes as a daily part of life being foremost.

Thus if as many components as possible are relatively 'standard' I'm willing to take some degree of risk. Shimano, Bosch, etc. Unlike random chinesium stuff that may or may not utilize reasonably standard mounting/sizing specs (to say nothing of crap materials).
Have you had an opportunity to weigh the 1000w bikes vs the 250 watt bikes?

Yeah, one of my past mountain bikes (a Votec-made Porsche Bike S) was a hardtail. Fantastically nimble and light for it's time. It's only downside was their unique handlebar mounting scheme, thus my interest in avoiding that again. It's not that I'm looking to find faults in things, I'm just tired of learning the hard way. I know for skilled riding there are significant benefits to a FS over a hardtail. I'm not that candidate, now even less than ever.

Checking other hardtail e-bikes has zero chance right now. Nobody's got anything decent in stock in the area. I'd love to try alternatives but with Covid and all, it's not as easy as one would hope. Bulls and BH are two I wouldn't mind trying out.

I hear ya on knobbies on the road. I once started a RAGBRAI on knobbies... only two days in and I switched to street slicks. Got a ton of funny looks, but the rest of the bike arrangement suited me perfectly at the time. That and upped the front chain ring to, iirc, a 56? Gotta love midwesterners and their ingenuity. The guys doing bike work on the route were fantastic about finding the pieces I needed to make the changes. I can read through how a bike might be equipped on one surface and not let it confuse me. But it's a good point to make for folks that might not.

I hear you on lessons learned. Both Bulls and BH make excellent bikes and there are some deals available. ;)
Take a look at CLs website... you will have to ignore the marketing hype, but they have a good reputation on EBR.

1588728964695.png
1588728948773.png

1588729087664.png
1588729140339.png

Last edited:

Thus if as many components as possible are relatively 'standard' I'm willing to take some degree of risk.

Shimano, Bosch, etc. Unlike random chinesium stuff that may or may not utilize reasonably standard mounting/sizing specs (to say nothing of crap materials).

As long as you can find a dealer that supports one of the big 3... Bosch, Shimano and Yamaha you will be fine regardless of the bike brand.

Thanks for the CL link. So many options to consider...
That's half the fun! We live in a really great time with the number of choices we have for some very well designed and capable e-bikes!

We got our first e-bikes 10 years ago. Not so much selection back then.

The levo you rode was probably not set up properly for your weight. Did they confirm the shock had spacers installed?

The only complaint I've seen about the suspension on the 2020 Levo is from someone who was lighter weight. They needed to remove the spacer (which I believe come installed by default) to get it to work for them. Guessing the shop may have removed them for the demo bike you rode which would be problematic for heavier riders.

If you like the Specialized Levo, check out the YT Decoy Comp:.

If you have the budget, the Pivot Shuttle (and here) has the same frame geometry as their well respected analog full-suspension mountain bike.

What wheel/tire size are you thinking 29ers or 27.5 Boost? 2.25" wide or fat?

If you like the Specialized Levo, check out the YT Decoy Comp:.

If you have the budget, the Pivot Shuttle (and here) has the same frame geometry as their well respected analog full-suspension mountain bike.

What wheel/tire size are you thinking 29ers or 27.5 Boost? 2.25" wide or fat?

I've never run fat tires nor as large as 29, so I don't have enough experience with them to know to chose or skip them.

Yikes some of these get pretty spendy! I've got the budget for that sort of range, but would gladly pay less. But I know the rule of three "Good, fast, cheap... pick two".

The real challenge is finding inventory locally to give things a try. I can tell almost immediately if the ride position works for me.

I'm an older guy, out of shape from age/injuries, looking to get an all-rounder that leans much more heavily to the mountain bike format. Pedal assist will help offset the knees. But I've had life-long wrist pain, which is manageable if I have good hand positioning options like bar ends and such. Lots of mountain bike geometries are immediately painful to use. Some have decent gooseneck adjustability, but many lately are not only lacking in adjustments, they're not even using reasonably standard sizes to allow for accessories.

I'd prefer, of course, to have an out of the box purchase be 'ready to ride'. But realize there's undoubtedly going to be some tweaks, adjustments and hardware changes that will be necessary. Thus my shopping focus includes watching out for lack of upgrade possibilities. The good part is I'm handy and have the tools to make changes, so I'm not going to be stuck waiting in line to have simple things changed.

Back