when to replace cassette and/or chainring

Gordon71

My 2020 Rad Rover ST has a little over 4,000 gentle miles on it. I've replaced the chain once and both clean and lube fairly often. I have the tool to measure chain wear so know when I need a new chain. As far as I can tell though there is no way to measure cassette wear. I watched a couple of videos with things to look for which are a little helpful but also heard things like: "If you put on a new chain and there is still skip you need a new cassette." Would prefer NOT to have that happen. So, in general, how many relatively gentle miles should I expect to get from a cassette and, again in general, do you replace both the cassette and the chainring at the same time?

if you keep track of chain wear the will last a long time. the skipping with a new chain is a good way. but also if you hear more noise shifting is getting bad or a lot more noise. but there is nothing wrong with the skipping method.

if you keep track of chain wear the will last a long time. the skipping with a new chain is a good way. but also if you hear more noise shifting is getting bad or a lot more noise. but there is nothing wrong with the skipping method.
Thanks. Do you replace both the cassette and chainring at the same time?

The cassettes I've replaced were generally done because there was too much slop in the bearings, not worn teeth. These shot bearings made themselves known with a rattle that occurred only in the higher gears (5th, 6th, and 7th). Dropping down to 4th (or lower) would quiet it down. FWIW, -Al

I replaced my first chain around 3,000 miles. The cassette looked great. Replaced the second time and the chain wore a little faster, replaced it around 5,400. Put on the third chain and it was a little noisy. Never a skipping problem. So at 7,100 miles I replaced the whole drivetrain. Chain ring, chain, cassette, and jockey wheels. Runs silent again and just passed 7,800 miles. That's on a Haibike with Bosch mid drive.

I would get 2000 miles on a chain in winter and around 2500 in summer. I got 12k on my drivetrain before it was bad and I replaced it all. 8 or nine chains later.

Back