What’s your winter ebike-related project you’re working on?

Dallant

Region
USA
I’m working on a covered truck bed rack system for longer trips starting this spring. It’s got to allow lockable inside storage for two Allant+7 ebikes with a quick and secure mounting system that doesn’t call for drilling into the bed. And I‘m not removing any wheels!
First step was to find a taller truck cap that allows us to easily roll the bikes into the bed. Found an older Jason Force topper with a double lock latch system and plenty of headroom for the bikes. That allows the bikes to be rolled into the rear BikeHand bike stand. The stands and some other components are going to be mounted to a plywood floor. The second part is a pair of Inno Velo Gripper mounts, one for each bike’s fork. There are going to be some short 3” square aluminum tubing sections affixed to topper clamps to bring those out from the bed sides.
Finally, each bike will be held down from bouncing around with adjustable straps using floor mounted D rings. Anyway, that’s the plan at the moment. More photos coming when it’s all done.

Attachments

• D7450AE5-27E8-4C52-9A95-5D6A45F818F1.jpeg
    D7450AE5-27E8-4C52-9A95-5D6A45F818F1.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 321
  • D77744BC-0235-49FD-A3DD-CBDD4201A4D4.jpeg
    D77744BC-0235-49FD-A3DD-CBDD4201A4D4.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 324
  • AF9C92EC-21C2-45CE-B0A1-87738DD42B41.jpeg
    AF9C92EC-21C2-45CE-B0A1-87738DD42B41.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 318
  • CDA3EB53-29AE-44B6-8A36-4133E1CEEE84.jpeg
    CDA3EB53-29AE-44B6-8A36-4133E1CEEE84.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 312
I’m working on a covered truck bed rack system for longer trips starting this spring. It’s got to allow lockable inside storage for two Allant+7 ebikes with a quick and secure mounting system that doesn’t call for drilling into the bed. And I‘m not removing any wheels!
First step was to find a taller truck cap that allows us to easily roll the bikes into the bed. Found an older Jason Force topper with a double lock latch system and plenty of headroom for the bikes. That allows the bikes to be rolled into the rear BikeHand bike stand. The stands and some other components are going to be mounted to a plywood floor. The second part is a pair of Inno Velo Gripper mounts, one for each bike’s fork. There are going to be some short 3” square aluminum tubing sections affixed to topper clamps to bring those out from the bed sides.
Finally, each bike will be held down from bouncing around with adjustable straps using floor mounted D rings. Anyway, that’s the plan at the moment. More photos coming when it’s all done.
Great idea and an interesting project! Keep us posted with pics!

I installed Tannus Armour on all three of my bikes this Winter and I'm now working on a project to combine a comfortable suspension seatpost with a dropper. I have the PNW Coast combo suspension / dropper post but it is no where near as comfortable as my Thudbuster, Kinekt and Redshift posts.

I installed Tannus Armour on all three of my bikes this Winter and I'm now working on a project to combine a comfortable suspension seatpost with a dropper. I have the PNW Coast combo suspension / dropper post but it is no where near as comfortable as my Thudbuster, Kinekt and Redshift posts.
I appreciate your comments and really thought seriously about trying to replicate your PVC system. Since we are going to be camping along the way, I need to have as much storage area in the truck bed and thought this design would give us more space. The thing I didn’t mention initially is the very light but strong (750 lbs) aluminum ramp we are using as lifting both Allants up high into the bed is tough on my bum shoulder!
E67578AB-0049-4144-9A91-11C2E36154E5.jpeg

I appreciate your comments and really thought seriously about trying to replicate your PVC system. Since we are going to be camping along the way, I need to have as much storage area in the truck bed and thought this design would give us more space. The thing I didn’t mention initially is the very light but strong (750 lbs) aluminum ramp we are using as lifting both Allants up high into the bed is tough on my bum shoulder!View attachment 77661

I hear you! It got to the point that lifting the 60 lb Pedego's up onto the PVC slide out rack became too much for me. I looked at similar folding ramps but built this one out of more PVC instead:
P1070258a.jpg P1070259a.jpg P1070260a.jpg P1070261a.jpg Pic 7.jpg

Since I don't have to walk the bike up into the bed, this simple PVC ramp works well by rolling the bike up while standing next to it on the ground.

The PVC rack does waste some bed space and I sometimes have to pack gear next to the bikes.

I hear you! It got to the point that lifting the 60 lb Pedego's up onto the PVC slide out rack became too much for me. I looked at similar folding ramps but built this one out of more PVC instead:
View attachment 77662 View attachment 77663 View attachment 77664 View attachment 77665 View attachment 77666

Since I don't have to walk the bike up into the bed, this simple PVC ramp works well by rolling the bike up while standing next to it on the ground.

The PVC rack does waste some bed space and I sometimes have to pack gear next to the bikes.
Well TBH, I bought the pair of ramps (rated @ 1500 lb) to be able to load my snowblower/lawn tractor/etc. into my pickup. I like the fact that one will work perfectly for this project, has a smooth and wide surface, and has a scalloped surface so you have good traction going up, even when wet.

Attachments

• C9DE5CD7-D288-40DA-A963-8C0264460175.jpeg
    C9DE5CD7-D288-40DA-A963-8C0264460175.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 287
... added front fender to the 'Como to prevent road salt from spraying motor ventilation screen. I moved the fenders' Fork bracket down @ 6" to lower front fender and block more spray. Not in pic, is flat plastic fender fabbed' for rear tire spray.

haev fun

. . .

So my first real design exercise is this combo of pieces that will be used to hold the front fork closest to the tailgate by attaching to the truck/topper lip. From the left, the common C clamp used to hold the topper to the truck lip is then bolted to a 3” X 3” square aluminum tube. This is used as a spacer to then allow the Inno Velo Gripper mount to be mounted further out toward the center of the bed and should allow the handlebar to clear the topper. Remember, there will be a total of three support points for each ebike.
E0A2A04F-DD82-4918-BC51-99A89329DB77.jpeg
More to come.

Rework all personal bikes. Health issues have dominated my life for more than a month. A long history of zero flat tires, and now 2 bikes need tires. One needs a controller change. 2 scratch builds, almost finished, need finishing touches. Covid inoculation this week with a repeat in mid-February will give me the courage to have a friend come over to assist.

Rework all personal bikes. Health issues have dominated my life for more than a month. A long history of zero flat tires, and now 2 bikes need tires. One needs a controller change. 2 scratch builds, almost finished, need finishing touches. Covid inoculation this week with a repeat in mid-February will give me the courage to have a friend come over to assist.
Take care and congrats on getting an inoculation.

Hi
I have a Rize Leisure (60 pounds when is clean) and planning to buy a similar bike for my wife
I want and need a bike rack to "broaden my horizon". Load the bike back on my Dodge Grand Caravan

1) I bought a 2" hitch $120 I'm in Canada but just to make it easier I'll do prices in US dollars
2) Two position hitch platform $120. Good for 500 lbs
3) One pair of wheels holder $25
4) Square tubing and metal plate $60
5) Somebody did the welding for me at work. Bought a case of beer 40$
6) Once I'm done with the wholes, etc I'm going to send it out for powder coating No idea the price

I did a lot of research, Buying a rack for a fat tire ebike is hard. They are over $ 500 you can find one

The rack fits inside the platform. I drilled two holes on the plates (green) and two holes on the platform sides (red).
The rack fits perfectly inside and on top of that is secure with 8 8mm bolts

In the middle (blue) I welded a post and inside of it I'm going to slide the other piece of square tubing you see on the picture.
It's going to be detachable

By the way , the square tubing is 1 1/4", that is the standard size to locate the wheel holder and the detachable post is 1" which fits perfectly inside the 1 1/4"

Attachments

• 20210129_154959.jpg
    20210129_154959.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 295
Had my second dose of vaccine Tuesday, so in another couple weeks, I'll put those worries behind me. I'll replace the seat on my standard bike and rework a slipping shifter, but my ebike project is actually narrow down my choice and finally buy one before they are unavailable as happened to me last year when I started my search too late.

Had my second dose of vaccine Tuesday, so in another couple weeks, I'll put those worries behind me. I'll replace the seat on my standard bike and rework a slipping shifter, but my ebike project is actually narrow down my choice and finally buy one before they are unavailable as happened to me last year when I started my search too late.
Congrats on getting any vaccine. Good luck with your ebike order. I ordered my wife's Allant+7 Lowstep early last fall so we could hit the ground ‘spinning’ early next spring.😎👍
626A4289-6847-40CD-953B-0FA1504F7254.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like I’m gonna have to add another 3” spacer. The handlebar is rubbing the side of the topper and I haven’t even fastened the piece firmly to the side of the truck bed yet.

Attachments

• A1F3AF7A-E088-4EDB-9772-E854066104F8.jpeg
    A1F3AF7A-E088-4EDB-9772-E854066104F8.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 287
can you turn the wheel slightly to the left?
No, that’s just the problem. That clamp is not even in the right position nor is it at all tightened and the long bolt holding the strap is adjusted all the way out. Once done, I won’t be able (or need) to turn the wheel at all. The BikeHand stand holding the back wheel will be mounted on plywood as will the D rings for the middle hold down strap. Adding the other spacer will make it very adjustable. It certainly won’t be pretty but it should be quite stout when finished. Plus the whole system will be easily removable if need be.
27CFE39C-4E17-43A8-9111-24ED3951373C.jpeg

Hi
I have a Rize Leisure (60 pounds when is clean) and planning to buy a similar bike for my wife
I want and need a bike rack to "broaden my horizon". Load the bike back on my Dodge Grand Caravan

1) I bought a 2" hitch $120 I'm in Canada but just to make it easier I'll do prices in US dollars
2) Two position hitch platform $120. Good for 500 lbs
3) One pair of wheels holder $25
4) Square tubing and metal plate $60
5) Somebody did the welding for me at work. Bought a case of beer 40$
6) Once I'm done with the wholes, etc I'm going to send it out for powder coating No idea the price

I did a lot of research, Buying a rack for a fat tire ebike is hard. They are over $ 500 you can find one

The rack fits inside the platform. I drilled two holes on the plates (green) and two holes on the platform sides (red).
The rack fits perfectly inside and on top of that is secure with 8 8mm bolts

In the middle (blue) I welded a post and inside of it I'm going to slide the other piece of square tubing you see on the picture.
It's going to be detachable

By the way , the square tubing is 1 1/4", that is the standard size to locate the wheel holder and the detachable post is 1" which fits perfectly inside the 1 1/4"
Looking forward to seeing it all together!

No, that’s just the problem. That clamp is not even in the right position nor is it at all tightened and the long bolt holding the strap is adjusted all the way out. Once done, I won’t be able (or need) to turn the wheel at all. The BikeHand stand holding the back wheel will be mounted on plywood as will the D rings for the middle hold down strap. Adding the other spacer will make it very adjustable. It certainly won’t be pretty but it should be quite stout when finished. Plus the whole system will be easily removable if need be.
View attachment 77832
Well done!

Back