What’s a better buy BBS01 or BBS02

E-Wheels

I’m hoping to buy a Bafang mid drive kit and convert a Giant Roam 1 Disc (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/roam-1-disc) into a commuter for a daily 70km round trip but can’t decide between these two

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Would also want to wire in a powerful LED headlight to the main battery but don’t know how

Anyone have any experience, suggestions or a preference and why

The 250w will feel more like a power assisted bicycle than a Moped. IMO, that is a positive feature. It will climb the same hills as the larger motors, but a bit slower if you need to gear down.

Ask Luna about the headlight because the controller they are using might have a lead for it.

Is there a question of being legal under Australian ebike laws? .

I would get the BBS02 for only a dollar more. And it would not bother me if you stuck one of these plaques on your motor.

Thanks all for your comments
Australian ebike laws are similar to the UK being 250W nominal peak power with maximum speed limited to 25km/hr
Agree the bigger motor of the BBS02 probably looks a better reliability option for the long distance commute although I will not be using it to its full potential, and am also mindful that the bigger motor will use more battery power
I believe the speed on most Bafang drives can be changed via the display but the onus is on the rider to ensure that the bike is set up and limited to local requirements. I don’t intend to deristrict the bike above the allowable 25km/hr speed limit

I suggest you also consider the Tongsheng 700w mid-drive. Well built and has a better mounting arrangement, lighter, and with it's torque sensor is more of a natural biking experience. Just a couple of hours ago I got back from a 42 mile ride at mostly 18-22 mph.
20180205_154117.jpg

Oh, I forget to mention; the Tongsheng kit comes with a wiring harness to run 6v lights that can be turned off and on by the display like a high-end factory bike. Tongsheng kits are available from Biketrix in Canada.

Oh, I forget to mention; the Tongsheng kit comes with a wiring harness to run 6v lights that can be turned off and on by the display like a high-end factory bike. Tongsheng kits are available from Biketrix in Canada.
Thanks for the suggestion
I will see if I can find a supplier in Australia

Not to be a contrarian, be be certain you have a reseller with great support of you go Tongsheng. I have an evaluation motor from them and there are several daunting issues. Quite honestly, unless you really need a mid drive you'll find a gear drive capable of 4% grades and far more reliable. Definitely make certain you buy a BBS02B version of a Bafang drive. There are still some older versions around. You can buy a 36V ready light. Just Google 36V bicycle light. I use these "The Grin Tech ebike lights are designed explicitly for use on electric bicycles. They will operate efficiently with anywhere from 15V to 100V on the input. Not only can they be directly connected to your battery pack, they'll continue to work fine even if you upgrade or change your battery voltage in the future. All lights are available with 5.5x2.1mm DC input jack so they can be powered directly from a Cycle Analyst (V2.3 or newer) but some custom wiring options are available as well."

I suggest you also consider the Tongsheng 700w mid-drive. Well built and has a better mounting arrangement, lighter, and with it's torque sensor is more of a natural biking experience. Just a couple of hours ago I got back from a 42 mile ride at mostly 18-22 mph.
What a great looking build! Nicely executed!

Thanks. It is my "grocery getter" that has been working out well with the fold out baskets. Have been really cutting down on using the car.
I did the same baskets on two bikes. At first i thought they were cheap, but they proved to be one of my better buys! I think a clean look!

Not to be a contrarian, be be certain you have a reseller with great support of you go Tongsheng. I have an evaluation motor from them and there are several daunting issues. Quite honestly, unless you really need a mid drive you'll find a gear drive capable of 4% grades and far more reliable. Definitely make certain you buy a BBS02B version of a Bafang drive. There are still some older versions around. You can buy a 36V ready light. Just Google 36V bicycle light. I use these "The Grin Tech ebike lights are designed explicitly for use on electric bicycles. They will operate efficiently with anywhere from 15V to 100V on the input. Not only can they be directly connected to your battery pack, they'll continue to work fine even if you upgrade or change your battery voltage in the future. All lights are available with 5.5x2.1mm DC input jack so they can be powered directly from a Cycle Analyst (V2.3 or newer) but some custom wiring options are available as well."
Thomas thanks for the advice......much appreciated

Not to be a contrarian, be be certain you have a reseller with great support of you go Tongsheng. I have an evaluation motor from them and there are several daunting issues. Quite honestly, unless you really need a mid drive you'll find a gear drive capable of 4% grades and far more reliable."

Hi, not to hijack but think this info will help OP too. I was wondering what the daunting issues were with the Tongsheng as I was considering one over the BBS02...would you advise going with a bafang bbs02 instead because of them?

Also, what reliable gear drive would you recommend for city cycling? I weigh 95kg/209lbs. Do you think its still a good idea if there are a few shortish (200ft long) 10% stretches en route or would this burn it out?

Thanks!

Hi, not to hijack but think this info will help OP too. I was wondering what the daunting issues were with the Tongsheng as I was considering one over the BBS02...would you advise going with a bafang bbs02 instead because of them?

Also, what reliable gear drive would you recommend for city cycling? I weigh 95kg/209lbs. Do you think its still a good idea if there are a few shortish (200ft long) 10% stretches en route or would this burn it out?

Thanks!
Google TSDZ2 reviews and decide who you think has the best answer. To many issues for me. Poor implementation of throttle, confusing display identification, not as adaptable to as many frames as BBSxx, problems with gear, problems programming, goofy instructions, slow to respond to problems. Mine was a sample at no cost. I wanted to like it...I really did....

IF the grade is only 200' and your take it easy you should be fine. 35% throttle about 8MPH you will never over heat. Ramping up to 10MPH about an hour before overheating. Add more muscle power and you could easily do 10MPH with assist and not overheat. The key is how much throttle. If you insist on throttling up every grade, then using the right gear and a BBSxx will do better. But not be as reliable, IME.

Thanks! Any particular geared hub drive you'd recommend or is that what is detailed under "system A" ?

Check out the ezee fast, amazing performance and still able to handle grades, just with lower speeds.

Back