What will you do for security?

This is the one I use 113db and it is very loud IMHO

I have that one too, it’s pretty loud; at least loud enough to draw attention. Hidden under the seat so it’s very discrete. Coupled with a kryptonite d lock and cable. We also have a wearable belt chain lock

Last edited:
I just ran into this lock....seems like a winner to me. A little spend y but you can get phone or fob notification and GPS built in. no keys needed.
Oh and it has a 113db alarm built in!
In Europe there is a similar/same item sold as Linka Lock, with and without gps tracking

Kryptonite Ulock and Chain, along with a really loud motion alarm, and for peace of mind I have a GPS tracker that is hidden in my tail light :)

For those of you using a frame lock, which brand/model did you buy? Since my Lmt'd has 2.4" tires, it would seem as though I need a lock with a wider throat than what seems available in the US. Abus has a couple of models available with wide throats but the don't seem to be available here.

For those of you using a frame lock, which brand/model did you buy?
Since my Lmt'd has 2.4" tires, it would seem as though I need a lock with a wider throat than what seems available in the US. Abus has a couple of models available with wide throats but the don't seem to be available here.

For those of you using a frame lock, which brand/model did you buy? Since my Lmt'd has 2.4" tires, it would seem as though I need a lock with a wider throat than what seems available in the US. Abus has a couple of models available with wide throats but the don't seem to be available here.
I have 2.25 inch tires and using the Abus I have at least another 1 inch of tire clearance. The top opening of the lock get wider to accommodate the tires. You may have to push the bottom of the lock past the widest part of the tire.
I love this lock for low risk stops.

I have 2.25 inch tires and using the Abus I have at least another 1 inch of tire clearance. The top opening of the lock get wider to accommodate the tires. You may have to push the bottom of the lock past the widest part of the tire.
I love this lock for low risk stops.
Well, I decided to order a frame lock. The problem is I also decided to get the new Abus 5750 lock which has a larger throat which will fit the 2.4" tires on the Lmt'd. The second problem is I had to order it from a website from Great Britian, Bike24.com. I got the lock, a five foot chain that locks into the lock, and the adaptors to mount it. All for less $100 including shipping. So I'm happy. Won't get it for two weeks though.

Well, I decided to order a frame lock. The problem is I also decided to get the new Abus 5750 lock which has a larger throat which will fit the 2.4" tires on the Lmt'd. The second problem is I had to order it from a website from Great Britian, Bike24.com. I got the lock, a five foot chain that locks into the lock, and the adaptors to mount it. All for less $100 including shipping. So I'm happy. Won't get it for two weeks though.
Good job!
I was considering getting that extension chain too but opted for a level 15 Abus Granit 540 x plus 14" long 10mm square u lock for $100.
That way I have the option of low and high risk situation security.

Not sure what a limited is but the rule of thumb is to pay 10% of the cost of the bike for a security. Myself I over did it at 20%, including a motion detecting 115 db alarm. 🚴‍♂️

IMO when a bike thief steals a bike the first thing they want to do is ride it away. So one deterrent should be to prevent that option.
What I use is a Kryptonite Ulock to lock it to a pole of course.
To prevent riding: Xena XZZ6L caliper disc lock, Quick release removable pedals, removable seatpost with saddle.

Xena lock

When parked and locked, there's no pedals, no seat and has ulock and caliper lock. Thief may want to move to an easier target
Interesting.
I have never heard of quick release pedals, I understand they are made for folding bikes and car transport.
Way to think outside the box as a security measure.That one trick is worth several "locks", just need to insure against hauling the bike .
BTW, frame locks immobilize the bike like the caliper lock...but are much more convenient.
Do you carry the pedals, seat post and seat in a back pack or something?

Reactions: MMC
This might work... 😉

1605816538571.png

Funny..... however all they would have to do is hold the spoon closed, remove the pin and the whole thing comes away from the bike, replace the pin and now they have a live gernade as well , which may be even more valuable than the bike.
True... you would really need to remove the handle! 😉

SAY OUCH.... remove the handle (spoon), you now have 5 sec to run, or throw the NOW activated grenade somewhere safe.
The idea would be to remove the handle lever and retain the handle pivot and pin... just a thought. 😉

SAY OUCH AGAIN....you remove the spoon and you activate the grenade period.
Game over man, game over.
What you call a handle, is called a spoon or in layman's terms a lever .
The dynamics of throwing a grenade are, first hold it in your throwing hand, keeping pressure on the spoon, pull the pin ...as soon as you release the spoon, which is spring loaded, it flies off the grenade and starts the timer.
So much for the intro lecture on grenade throwing.

Can't come to a decision. Insurance policy? Special lock? Seriously considering a Kryptonite product. For $100 you can get one of their locks that has reimbursement if the bike gets stolen while using their lock. $$$ amount increases as the lock prices increase. Cheaper than a dedicated policy. What have U guys decided?
Insurance for fire, damage & theft while on the car rack. I don’t really plan on leaving my bikes alone any amount of time.

I finally got my frame lock mounted to my satisfaction. I bought the Abus 5750 XL lock which has a larger throat, fits over the tire with no problem. I had ordered the LH mounting straps but I must have mounted them indcorrectly because I could never get them tight enough. Then when I cut the strap back, the lock fell off. So I tried something else. I got adjustable pipe clamps just big enough to fit around the frame. I drilled a hole through the strap but I was concerned that a bolt could pull through. So I got a 1" fender washer and bent it into a U shape. Then I got a 8-32 1" bolt, put it through the washer, through the strap, and tightened it down. I also had put some electrical tape on first to prevent scratching the paint. The lock went on and it's rock solid. Finally I got some Plastic Dip (used to dip tools into to get rubberized handles) to cover the strap. Overall I'm really happy with the results.

Attachments

• IMG_20201124_210523.jpg
    IMG_20201124_210523.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_20201124_210515.jpg
    IMG_20201124_210515.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 326
I finally got my frame lock mounted to my satisfaction. I bought the Abus 5750 XL lock which has a larger throat, fits over the tire with no problem. I had ordered the LH mounting straps but I must have mounted them indcorrectly because I could never get them tight enough. Then when I cut the strap back, the lock fell off. So I tried something else. I got adjustable pipe clamps just big enough to fit around the frame. I drilled a hole through the strap but I was concerned that a bolt could pull through. So I got a 1" fender washer and bent it into a U shape. Then I got a 8-32 1" bolt, put it through the washer, through the strap, and tightened it down. I also had put some electrical tape on first to prevent scratching the paint. The lock went on and it's rock solid. Finally I got some Plastic Dip (used to dip tools into to get rubberized handles) to cover the strap. Overall I'm really happy with the results.
Good job ...looks like a clean install.
I used several thick lock ties to secure mine. Doesn't look as clean but since everything is black, it's hard to notice.
The nice thing is, even if the ties are attacked, the lock is still immobilizing the wheel to the frame.

Well done!

Still waiting for my 700 but here is what I did on my other ebike ( Cube Acid mid-drive) .
1. Abus U lock - $80
2. Got one of those $15 113 db alarms from Amazon and hid it above battery
3. Replaced seat clamp with Allen head version - $5
4. Replaced skewers with Allen head version from Hexlox $ 15 each
5 Installed Hexlox inserts on skewers and seat clamp. - $50
6. Added $9 Hiplok steel ziptie to easily secure my bag and helmet

With this setup there is no need to lock front wheel or suspension seatpost and any tampering will result in a loud warning/ alarm to hopefully scare the thief away to find an easier target.

Back