Help a ebike newbie (AKA what bike should I get?)

Hello all, I hope you can grace a ebike newbie with some knowledge.

I stumbled across EBR as my quest for ebike knowledge expands, and this seems like the right place to ask. I’m sure you’ve had tonnes of “what bike should I buy?” questions posted on this form, but after doing a search I didn’t see any that fit what I was looking for. So, I am looking for a bit of guidance.

Scenario: I hate commuting (well, city driving in general), and since changing office jobs a few years back to a locale that’s much further from home than my previous job, I haven’t been able to ride my standard hybrid Trek bike to work at all, mainly due to sweatiness upon my arrival and no available shower. I’ve considered other modes of transport, such as a 2nd cheap/small/fuel efficient commuter car, or a moped, but now an ebike has my interest.

While the primary goal would be arriving to work in a reasonable amount of time and not a sweaty mess, it will also likely be used for other trips (and fun!) as well, I would be happy with 75-100 rides out of it per year, mostly commuting (tough to ride here in the winter). The ride to work is roughly 12-14km (pending route), major hills can be avoided, and is a mix of standard urban setting (bike lanes, roads, etc).

I am 6’2” and 200lbs, here are the bikes I am currently considering (all prices CDN, all models are new):

Rad Power Rad City 4 ($2k)
EBR seems to give Rad lots of love, but I can’t find much love for them elsewhere. While the price is attractive, I’m a strong believer of “you get what you pay for”. The hub motor seems less desirable then a mid-drive from what I’ve read, this bike is quite heavy compared to the others below, and while I originally thought I wanted a class 2 bike with a throttle, after trying a class 1 I could see why its not necessary (plus may be illegal is some areas) but again, the price. I have no Rad shop near me so this would be a sight unseen online purchase. Is this worth considering, or is a local shop-sold bike at 2x the price a better bet? (IE the below)

Scott Sub Active eRide step over ($3800)
This bike intrigued me until I did some more digging on Bosch motors, I didn’t realize that this used the “weakest” (Active Line) motor vs some others I was looking at. That said, do I need a step up? Or would something like this work for me? It also had a integrated rear wheel lock that I liked, which used the same key as the battery.

Cube Touring Hybrid One E500 ($3850)
This one is similar to the Scott (no rear lock though), but the fellow at the shop said this was an overall better bike… also has a Bosch motor one step up from the Scott, the “Active plus”…

Cube Touring Pro E500 ($4350)
This is the only one I’ve test-rode so far and was surprised at the punch the more powerful Bosch Performance Line motor had, it had a better display (Intuvia, vs Purion’s on the others) and a more solid frame vs the Scott and the Cube Hybrid One. Plus, the salesperson told me that this frame could accept mountain bike tires if I wanted, which I could see making use of. However Cube’s removable battery set up seemed a bit cumbersome to me, and this is getting up there in price.

Trek Verve+ 3 Step over ($4200)
I am partial to Trek bikes, I’ve had a few, however this one seems to be similar spec to the Scott Sub Active and Cube Hybrid One (same motor as the Cube), but for more $. However the Trek removable battery system seems to be super easy to use vs Cube’s, but no front suspension on this one.

Trek Allant+ 7 Step over ($4800)
Again I like Trek, but this one may be too steep for me price wise ( I am open to being sold). It seems similar to the Cube Touring Pro, but has a more powerful motor (CX), has front suspension (unlike the Verve+ 3), but strangely has no chain guard.

Bulls Cross Lite Evo Diamond ($4k)
I’ll be honest, I have no idea what a “Bulls” bike is. I literally stumbled upon it this weekend on a local shop’s website. It seems to have pretty good specs (and a CX Bosch motor) compared to the others above, and a claimed 215km of range on a Bosch Powertube 500w on the shops' site (can that be right?). I can’t seem to find much online about them, other than their own website, even the Bulls form here on EBR seems to be very quiet. Is this worth taking a closer look at?

Other bikes I’ve considered:

Cube Kathmandu One E500 ($4600)
This may be overkill for what I need, but it has a more powerful motor (CX) then the Cube Touring Pro. Price is steep.

Pedego City Commuter Mid-drive ($4k +/-)
Pedego actually just opened up a local-to-me shop this month, however I don’t like the placement of the battery on most of their bikes, and the Trek and Cube bikes look much better, with the prices being comparable.

Any thoughts you can share would be appreciated. Is there any others I should consider? Is there something im (likely) missing? Things important to me are power, price, reliability, and features, not necessarily in that order, I am not much of a do-it-yourselfer so I am unlikely to do any major tinkering or mods after the fact. I am hoping to make this buy in the next few weeks before the weather is nicer and stock is depleted and I’m stuck without a bike.

Thank you in advance!
Based on your stated needs and rather high mileage any of the e-bikes you listed would be good for you.

Except the Rad Rover and Pedego.

Looks like Argyll has undated that listing for the Bulls bike....price stayed the same but now shows a 2019 rather than a 2021.

Looks like Argyll has undated that listing for the Bulls bike....price stayed the same but now shows a 2019 rather than a 2021.
Good catch, thanks. Not sure its worth a look.

I had a quick test ride with an Allant+ 7 today. That CX motor is nice and the battery removal system is as advertised, however it was pointed out to me if its locked outside while at work and the battery is in the office charging, the exposed electronics are susceptible to rain/weather since its opening is on the side. The Cube's system, while a bit more cumbersome has its opening under the frame and has a shield, so it seems more weather friendly. Also the Allant is a nice bike, but its a bit boring looking, at least the Cube bikes have some personality, haha.

Another question for the group; is there any benefit for concern in regards to having a welded on pannier rack? The Cube bikes (the Touring Pro and the Kathmandu) have welded racks, while the others, such as the Trek have bolted on. I can see pros and cons for both, like a bolted on pannier is replaceable should it ever get damaged, but it can't carry as much weight. A welded rack could carry more weight, but what happens if it snaps/gets damaged so it can't be fixed? Is the whole frame garbage?

Also was doing some reading on warranties, It looks like the frame on the Cube is warrantied for 6 years, and 2 years on general defects, but is it true that Trek bikes are warrantied for life? That appears to be what im reading...

Thanks again...

I had a quick test ride with an Allant+ 7 today. That CX motor is nice and the battery removal system is as advertised, however it was pointed out to me if its locked outside while at work and the battery is in the office charging, the exposed electronics are susceptible to rain/weather since its opening is on the side. The Cube's system, while a bit more cumbersome has its opening under the frame and has a shield, so it seems more weather friendly. Also the Allant is a nice bike, but its a bit boring looking, at least the Cube bikes have some personality, haha.

Another question for the group; is there any benefit for concern in regards to having a welded on pannier rack? The Cube bikes (the Touring Pro and the Kathmandu) have welded racks, while the others, such as the Trek have bolted on. I can see pros and cons for both, like a bolted on pannier is replaceable should it ever get damaged, but it can't carry as much weight. A welded rack could carry more weight, but what happens if it snaps/gets damaged so it can't be fixed? Is the whole frame garbage?

Also was doing some reading on warranties, It looks like the frame on the Cube is warrantied for 6 years, and 2 years on general defects, but is it true that Trek bikes are warrantied for life? That appears to be what im reading...

Thanks again...
You could get a cover for the whole bike, or just the battery cavity. Regarding the rack, not sure what you're planning to carry but most decent bolt on racks will handle 20lbs +.

You could get a cover for the whole bike, or just the battery cavity. Regarding the rack, not sure what you're planning to carry but most decent bolt on racks will handle 20lbs +.
I wasn't aware you can get a cover for the battery cavity, thanks. Any ideas on where to look? I found a "battery cover" on the Trek site but that doesn't appear to be the same thing.

Right, I should specify, the weight capacity of the pannier is less of concern as I am unlikely to carry that much weight on the back (the bolted Trek pannier will hold 50lb, apparently), but I am wondering if a there's any welded vs bolted issues I should be aware of. Ive never had a bike with a pannier rack before, so this is new ground for me.

Hello all, I hope you can grace a ebike newbie with some knowledge.

I stumbled across EBR as my quest for ebike knowledge expands, and this seems like the right place to ask. I’m sure you’ve had tonnes of “what bike should I buy?” questions posted on this form, but after doing a search I didn’t see any that fit what I was looking for. So, I am looking for a bit of guidance.

Scenario: I hate commuting (well, city driving in general), and since changing office jobs a few years back to a locale that’s much further from home than my previous job, I haven’t been able to ride my standard hybrid Trek bike to work at all, mainly due to sweatiness upon my arrival and no available shower. I’ve considered other modes of transport, such as a 2nd cheap/small/fuel efficient commuter car, or a moped, but now an ebike has my interest.

While the primary goal would be arriving to work in a reasonable amount of time and not a sweaty mess, it will also likely be used for other trips (and fun!) as well, I would be happy with 75-100 rides out of it per year, mostly commuting (tough to ride here in the winter). The ride to work is roughly 12-14km (pending route), major hills can be avoided, and is a mix of standard urban setting (bike lanes, roads, etc).

I am 6’2” and 200lbs, here are the bikes I am currently considering (all prices CDN, all models are new):

Rad Power Rad City 4 ($2k)
EBR seems to give Rad lots of love, but I can’t find much love for them elsewhere. While the price is attractive, I’m a strong believer of “you get what you pay for”. The hub motor seems less desirable then a mid-drive from what I’ve read, this bike is quite heavy compared to the others below, and while I originally thought I wanted a class 2 bike with a throttle, after trying a class 1 I could see why its not necessary (plus may be illegal is some areas) but again, the price. I have no Rad shop near me so this would be a sight unseen online purchase. Is this worth considering, or is a local shop-sold bike at 2x the price a better bet? (IE the below)

Scott Sub Active eRide step over ($3800)
This bike intrigued me until I did some more digging on Bosch motors, I didn’t realize that this used the “weakest” (Active Line) motor vs some others I was looking at. That said, do I need a step up? Or would something like this work for me? It also had a integrated rear wheel lock that I liked, which used the same key as the battery.

Cube Touring Hybrid One E500 ($3850)
This one is similar to the Scott (no rear lock though), but the fellow at the shop said this was an overall better bike… also has a Bosch motor one step up from the Scott, the “Active plus”…

Cube Touring Pro E500 ($4350)
This is the only one I’ve test-rode so far and was surprised at the punch the more powerful Bosch Performance Line motor had, it had a better display (Intuvia, vs Purion’s on the others) and a more solid frame vs the Scott and the Cube Hybrid One. Plus, the salesperson told me that this frame could accept mountain bike tires if I wanted, which I could see making use of. However Cube’s removable battery set up seemed a bit cumbersome to me, and this is getting up there in price.

Trek Verve+ 3 Step over ($4200)
I am partial to Trek bikes, I’ve had a few, however this one seems to be similar spec to the Scott Sub Active and Cube Hybrid One (same motor as the Cube), but for more $. However the Trek removable battery system seems to be super easy to use vs Cube’s, but no front suspension on this one.

Trek Allant+ 7 Step over ($4800)
Again I like Trek, but this one may be too steep for me price wise ( I am open to being sold). It seems similar to the Cube Touring Pro, but has a more powerful motor (CX), has front suspension (unlike the Verve+ 3), but strangely has no chain guard.

Bulls Cross Lite Evo Diamond ($4k)
I’ll be honest, I have no idea what a “Bulls” bike is. I literally stumbled upon it this weekend on a local shop’s website. It seems to have pretty good specs (and a CX Bosch motor) compared to the others above, and a claimed 215km of range on a Bosch Powertube 500w on the shops' site (can that be right?). I can’t seem to find much online about them, other than their own website, even the Bulls form here on EBR seems to be very quiet. Is this worth taking a closer look at?

Other bikes I’ve considered:

Cube Kathmandu One E500 ($4600)
This may be overkill for what I need, but it has a more powerful motor (CX) then the Cube Touring Pro. Price is steep.

Pedego City Commuter Mid-drive ($4k +/-)
Pedego actually just opened up a local-to-me shop this month, however I don’t like the placement of the battery on most of their bikes, and the Trek and Cube bikes look much better, with the prices being comparable.

Any thoughts you can share would be appreciated. Is there any others I should consider? Is there something im (likely) missing? Things important to me are power, price, reliability, and features, not necessarily in that order, I am not much of a do-it-yourselfer so I am unlikely to do any major tinkering or mods after the fact. I am hoping to make this buy in the next few weeks before the weather is nicer and stock is depleted and I’m stuck without a bike.

Thank you in advance!
My advice for a 1st time e-biker, get something ´affordable´, You don´t want to ruin a $4k bike with a rookie
mistake. Secondly, are you really sure you want to ride in urban traffic every day? Believe me, ´stuff happens´!
I´ve got the scars to prove it. If I had to commute into a city, I´d get as close as possible by bus & go the rest
of the way on one of those little, folding electric folding scooter thingys. (jez sayin´)

You don´t want to ruin a $4k bike with a rookie
mistake.
He wouldn't with any of the discussed e-bikes. These are classy and proven e-bikes.
Tips: In your situation, I would say go for the e-bike that you love visually, so Cube. I think the rack would outlive the electrical part of the e-bike... And there's a warranty, isn't it? Just don't overload the rack.

P.S. I'm riding roads with traffic almost on every single day. With proven e-bikes.

Thanks again...
You can order/purchase a spare battery cover from your Trek LBS, costs $60.

Yes the Trek frames have lifetime warranty.

He wouldn't with any of the discussed e-bikes. These are classy and proven e-bikes.
Tips: In your situation, I would say go for the e-bike that you love visually, so Cube. I think the rack would outlive the electrical part of the e-bike... And there's a warranty, isn't it? Just don't overload the rack.

P.S. I'm riding roads with traffic almost on every single day. With proven e-bikes.

Youŕe right Stefan, Just buy the prettiest bike & don´t worry about it. Your dependents will be fine without you.

Last edited:
Youŕe right Stefan, Just buy the prettiest bike & don´t worry about it. Your dependents will be fine without you.
The OP has stated his needs and budget. He wouldn't be happy with a Chinese stamped 20" throttle-equipped folder with 750 W B-motor.
Users buying e-bikes mentioned by the OP are just happy riders. Because quality does not come free.

The OP has stated his needs and budget. He wouldn't be happy with a Chinese stamped 20" throttle-equipped folder with 750 W B-motor.
Users buying e-bikes mentioned by the OP are just happy riders. Because quality does not come free.
I´m not trying to sell any kind of bike! I´m fine with whatever he chooses. I just hope he lives somewhere
with a bike-oriented infrastructure with bike paths & lanes, because no matter how one spins it, cycling in
heavy traffic is dangerous!

Last edited:
I´m not trying to sell any kind of bike! I´m fine with whatever he chooses. I just hope he lives somewhere
with a bike-oriented infrastructure with bike paths & lanes Because no matter how one spins it, cycling in
heavy traffic is dangerous.
He lives in Canada, eh? :)

with a bike-oriented infrastructure with bike paths & lanes, because no matter how one spins it, cycling in
heavy traffic is dangerous!
I don't feel safe riding to work. I've tried it 4 or 5 times maybe more. The only available routes have sections with large heavily laden trucks, and they are not going slowly at all.

I actually realized that 95% of my commute route would be on protected bike paths mostly on quiet residential streets, mainly thanks to a new bike grid expansion that covers almost 50 blocks in the direction and area I need to go. I appreciate the concern, but im not going on any main commercial truck routes or freeways.

I thought I would bump this thread with an update, and a question specifically for Canadian users.

Soon after my last post above, I purchased a Cube Kathmandu E500 Touring, and used it for about 1000km of commuting and other short-ish city trips over the good weather months. I enjoyed it, solid, good power from the motor to get going, relatively easy to handle despite it being a pretty big bike even for me, the chain only fell off once. It did start to creak a bit under strain/heavy pedalling, but other then that was up to the task.

However one thing really really bugged me, and I worried about this before I bought any bike, is the 32 km/h (20mph) limit we have in Canada. (For those who don't know, we technically don't have "classes" in Canada, but basically what are known as Class 1 and Class 2 bikes are "legal" here, not Class 3s.)

After tweaking my 14km one-way route a few times to make it more efficient, I ended up with long, straight stretches of quiet bike path with the bike maxed out, and found that I could really really really REALLY use more speed, especially when trying to get to work on time :).

Before I bought the bike, and even now in the "off season", I went around asking LBS's, mainstream manufacturers, and even the Government if there's any way to get a bike with a 45km/h (28mph) limit, even if it had to be registered under a moped classification, or a like. Basically I got canned vague responses that quantified to "no".

Recently, I dug deeper. Lo and behold, I found that DOST bikes, a Canadian bike company none the less, will in fact ship you a bike that "is kept at 750w" if you ask them to. What? I've been told for almost a year that this isn't a thing. How did I miss this before?

So I ask any Canadian users on here; have you had this same max-speed issue? Did you find a way around it? Are there any other companies that do this? Yes I know there's a hack I could try with the Cube, but it voids the warranty and could brick the bike, Im not up to trying that. Plus if I end up trying to sell it in the wake of finding a faster bike, I rather not mess with it.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

My Giant has the same limitation of course. That said it doesn't seem to bother me at all. Like your Cube, the only way around it is a dongle, or the manipulation of your magnet setup.
The big 3 (and others) keep their tools/cards close to their chest when it comes to manipulating the speed limits, so you're likely out of luck there.
Those that use Bafang and similar motors often use controllers that let you change the top speed. The big 3 etc. don't.
Best of luck!

I see you updated your post. I was going to say as a former Pedego owner and current Rad owner look into your other better options. And since you have regular bicycle experience try to find a Class 3/28mph option. I won't give up my throttle. I don't use it very often but its to nice to completely loose it. My commute is 14 miles one way and I've lived with 20mph just fine. But I did briefly own a Class 3 and kinda miss the extra speed. I find that no amount of extra speed will save me on my commute. All the cars do 55 minimum in a 45 speed limit zone, and drive like idiots on top of that! I need to film my commute one day, its pretty crazy.

Thanks for the update and if you buy a DOST please do a write-up!

Thanks Dave, good to know, that seems obvious to me now, but for some reason it wasn't 10 months ago, lol.

Thanks Scooter. Why do you say that about the Pedego and Rad bikes? Just because you find them cheap and not worth it? That seems to be a common trend from many owners, I read a post the other day about how a Rad owner's bike was basically disintegrating on him after 300miles... which seems... bad.

Totally fair, I'm not 100% sure going how much time going 14km/h faster will actually save me, but the route I take suggests its very plausible, minimal lights and traffic, long straights. etc, even if I can get 5 minutes shaved off it will be worth it. I basically want to use this thing as a 2nd vehicle, as my SUV is horrible on gas in the city (but great for camping trips), and faster top speed will help (I'm pretty sure).

Ive been trying to find another other company that will do this, and so far I don't think there is one, Dost might be it. If I can get around the sizing (a 19" frame is small for me), I've been trying to figure out if I should go the regular Kope model or the CVT version... perhaps I can post that in another thread...

I actually love my RadRunner. Thing is a little tank. I use the term Cheap and Cheerful describing it but I have no regrets in purchasing it. But I secretly want a Class 3 mid-drive with a throttle, and that want is far from my RadRunner. Plus I have a weak spot for 20" wheels and step-thru. So.......

My Pedego was just slow and clunky. Quality for the price AND local support. There are many better choices for the price point. Had around 1000 miles on it when I sold it.

My Rad had the crank arm come loose and a front hub needing some attention but I was on top of it. Once sorted/gone thru I really like it. Luckily I have pretty good mechanical ability and don't mind spinning my own wrenches. I have around 2000 miles on it currently.

Also had a E-Lux Malibu GT. It was just a handful at any speed over 15mph. I was actually more tired riding the E-Lux to work than the RadRunner. It's currently on consignment. The word "commuter" should never be used when talking about a Malibu GT. Has 400 miles on it.

Hope that helps.

Back