What will eBikes look like in 2030?

MeDotOrg

There are 2 types of computers: Prototype and obsolete. The same might be said of the ebikes right now. Two things are changing: demand and technology. With the exploding popularity of ebikes, more manufacturers will be able to spend more on R&D, at a time when battery technology advancements are getting a huge boost from the auto industry. More R&D will mean better technology, which will fuel more sales, which will fuel more R&D.

Imagine lighter batteries with 120 -150 miles of range, charging faster with no safety issues. More and more sealed hub bikes for lower maintenance. Advances in frame construction and vibration isolation.

What do YOU think the ebike of 2030 will look like?

I foresee steam generator front hub tandem axle eBikes will be the norm.

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 7.45.31 PM.png

There are 2 types of computers: Prototype and obsolete. The same might be said of the ebikes right now. Two things are changing: demand and technology. With the exploding popularity of ebikes, more manufacturers will be able to spend more on R&D, at a time when battery technology advancements are getting a huge boost from the auto industry. More R&D will mean better technology, which will fuel more sales, which will fuel more R&D.

Imagine lighter batteries with 120 -150 miles of range, charging faster with no safety issues. More and more sealed hub bikes for lower maintenance. Advances in frame construction and vibration isolation.

What do YOU think the ebike of 2030 will look like?
I’m sure some will look quite similar to existing bikes but how they operate will be very different. I’d guess we’ll see the end of batteries as we know them.

Or the way things are going after Covid25 and the bicycle industrial complex supply chain completely comes apart and a more dystopian DIY future is in store something more along the lines of a hydrogen hub drive MadMax theme bike?

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 8.03.55 PM.png

Bikes will always be bikes. Two wheels, a frame, a crank and pedals. Other stuff comes along added to that and it maybe still is a bike or maybe it is something else. Still, it is true that the most efficient machine ever invented is a man on a bicycle. That was determined a couple hundred years ago. And it's still true today. I guess.

A kinder, gentler Mad Max, who roams an apocalyptic post Covid-25 world on an ebike with a solar charger. Insted of Mel Gibson, Sam Rockwell.

Reactions: JRA
It's instructive to think about a dream bike possible within the constraints of physics and chemistry... And then it's apparent that there's only going to be refinements of existing concepts.

Better durability, interoperability, modularity, repairability, range. More widespread independent repairs of electric drivetrains. More safety and anti theft features like antilock brakes and vehicle tracking, as well as smartphone integration. Maybe automated shifting on higher end bikes. Overall better reliability, fit and finish, especially at lower price points, $1-2k.

I don't think there's going to be anything qualitatively different from what already exists in bits and pieces here and there. But expect lots of marketing saying otherwise to impel you to buy buy buy.

Modest drivetrain efficiency improvements. Maybe anti-tipping tech to keep the bike upright?

Oh and a lot more selection for Class 3s!

Last edited:
When disc brakes first came out, it was super expensive.

Now even Walmart bikes have disc brakes, I know they're not Shimano XTR, but they're still disc brakes.
Some are hydraulic, I know they're cheap Chinese hydraulic disc brakes, but at least they are hydraulic.
Can't say I have had the "pleasure" to work on no-name hydros, but I have had to work on cheap mechanical disc brakes. They are just barely better than cheap rim brake calipers...and I am not even sure about that. Getting them to not rub and still stop often requires lots of swearing. 😛

R&D? For a $1,200 retail eBike? Don't see that happening at a company wholesale those for $500 or less in the next 10 years.

If the hot headed moron doesn't get re elected we MIGHT avoid the steam punk mad max covid 2030 battle bikes........so I'm praying for envirostealth.

Carbon frames have gone organic, even the solar and motors are barely visible. No need for spiked oedals or torture seats.....and the scooter vs bike vs throttle debate is ancient history

Notice the gender diverse seat ?

Attachments

• 1D5E3157-74FF-4289-9F57-642298C4AF27.jpeg
    1D5E3157-74FF-4289-9F57-642298C4AF27.jpeg
    538.8 KB · Views: 304
If the hot headed moron doesn't get re elected we MIGHT avoid the steam punk mad max covid 2030 battle bikes........so I'm praying for envirostealth.

Carbon frames have gone organic, even the solar and motors are barely visible. No need for spiked oedals or torture seats.....and the scooter vs bike vs throttle debate is ancient history

Notice the gender diverse seat ?
Looks like another IKEA ebike

Similar to owning an electric car, ebike riders want to ride farther on a single charge, so I can see both e-cars and e-bikes increasing their range in the future (and not having to increase their battery size).
I also think we'll see more ebikes come out with fully hidden wiring and once they can get the weight down we'll see more ebikes with carbon (or some other material) mag type wheels.
Another feature we'll probably see is more built in security features and ABS braking.

Hmmmm......2030. Not that far off.
Battery tech for sure because it’s so applicable to other areas.
I’d really like to see the weight of a typical ebike come down significantly. These things are such hassle to haul anywhere.

Back