What will eBikes look like in 2030?

The future is already here in designs such as the Ferdinand GT3 RS. Think of a an ebike future featuring steady 4 wheel stability. Worry no more about rain and snow while you pedal in complete comfort arriving at your destination dry and refreshed. Suddenly, the traditional tubed frame bicycle is consigned to the trash heap of history. The envious stares at you in your very own Ferdinand GT3 RS while you deftly dart from one lane to another in traffic are personal treasures not soon forgotten. From the mundane of your Monday through Friday commute; to tracking your Ferdinand GT3 RS on the weekends.....my friends, you have arrived! Ferdinand GT3 RS

Gotta love the washing machine motor on the Spin Cycle Bike! ;)

1604251145444.png

Good grief. I will be over 80 and still riding my 1990 Trek with hub motor. Perhaps the 2030 battery will fit on my handlbars.

The future is already here in designs such as the Ferdinand GT3 RS. Think of a an ebike future featuring steady 4 wheel stability. Worry no more about rain and snow while you pedal in complete comfort arriving at your destination dry and refreshed. Suddenly, the traditional tubed frame bicycle is consigned to the trash heap of history. The envious stares at you in your very own Ferdinand GT3 RS while you deftly dart from one lane to another in traffic are personal treasures not soon forgotten. From the mundane of your Monday through Friday commute; to tracking your Ferdinand GT3 RS on the weekends.....my friends, you have arrived! Ferdinand GT3 RS

I'd ask for my money back on the wrap job ;-)

A very creative concept... here is the backstory on the construction process... ;)

1604252968096.png

1604252923311.png

Gonna piss a lot of car drivers off with how wide the new in-town bike lanes are gonna get!

It's instructive to think about a dream bike possible within the constraints of physics and chemistry... And then it's apparent that there's only going to be refinements of existing concepts.

Better durability, interoperability, modularity, repairability, range. More widespread independent repairs of electric drivetrains. More safety and anti theft features like antilock brakes and vehicle tracking, as well as smartphone integration. Maybe automated shifting on higher end bikes. Overall better reliability, fit and finish, especially at lower price points, $1-2k.

I don't think there's going to be anything qualitatively different from what already exists in bits and pieces here and there. But expect lots of marketing saying otherwise to impel you to buy buy buy.

Modest drivetrain efficiency improvements. Maybe anti-tipping tech to keep the bike upright?

Oh and a lot more selection for Class 3s!
For anti-tipping tech I suggest training wheels.

What I foresee is product catered to the US market and not just left overs from the European market. A class 3 is nice, but it doesn’t do it all on US roads. Give me 20 mph on pedal assist, and a throttle to go up to 35 mph. Now I have a bicycle for the trails and a motorcycle for commuting on streets. Of course 35 mph on throttle will eat range so I’d need to double the range of current 500w batteries, at least, probably more. All is doable, and will be met with a lot of resistance by naysayers. But after they get done crying about it, that would put thousands of new riders on bikes and we’d get a lot more in the way of lanes and trails.

I think 99 percent of it will come down to batteries:

If you pay the same per wh as we do today, you should expect the given battery pack to weigh approximately half as much.

If you go with the same wh/kg ratio as we have today, you should expect to pay approximately half as much for that battery in 2030.

Note that large-scale adoption of electric vehicles, which seems likely in the next decade, will likely change the economics of ebike batteries in bewildering ways.

The other thing you might see are some more exotic alloys that might make bikes both lighter and stronger. There are both steel and aluminum alloys that substantially close the gap with carbon fiber that will likely go commercial on a large scale in the coming years.

This one would be fun...though I'm not crazy about the helmet design!
322212A5-754F-40DE-AE29-C9F2B36B5E0A.jpeg

I wonder if this one has EMTB mode?

Just to add on to what Flatsix911's comments on the development of frame material, I think we'll see more 3D printed unibody carbon fiber composite bikes (and bike parts), like the Superstrata.

If they don't all resemble this, then we are going backwards as an industry ! ;)

tron.jpg

I also want them to be self balancing, and able to climb walls with anti-gravity propulsion systems.

And oh, yes they are still PEDAL ASSIST ! 🤪

Back