What motor is in the Vado 3.0

wings02

I am reading some literature about the Specialized Vado 3.0 and they list the motor as being a Specialized. Is it a motor made for them by Brose? If so, and I think it is, which model of Brose motor is it?
Thanks!

They are Brose motors. I think the vado and como 3 have the 1.2e and the vando and como 4 have the more powerfull but less efficient (less range) 1.2. There are threads on "turbo como vs vado" and "which turbo vado" you can search for . SierraTim posted tourque curves on various motors as well.

I’ve been watching videos from and about Brose motors. They have some really nice motors. I haven’t purchased a Specialized bike yet, but the “gears” are turning in my head. Can the Brose motor in the Vado or Como be swapped out for a more powerful model? I understand the warranty issues.
Would there be compatibility problems with existing electronics? Talk about putting the cart before the horse!

I’ve been watching videos from and about Brose motors. They have some really nice motors. I haven’t purchased a Specialized bike yet, but the “gears” are turning in my head. Can the Brose motor in the Vado or Como be swapped out for a more powerful model? I understand the warranty issues.
Would there be compatibility problems with existing electronics? Talk about putting the cart before the horse!

Having recently picked up a Vado 5.0 for commuting to the shop, the 1.3 motor is worth every penny. We've got Vado's and Como's on the floor in 3.0-5.0. The Como and Vado 5.0 both use the big battery and 1.3 motor. No need to get a 4.0 and upgrade the motor, the price difference between 4.0 and 5.0 is $950 and you get a better drivetrain, motor, battery, and in the Como's case front rack too.

Having recently picked up a Vado 5.0 for commuting to the shop, the 1.3 motor is worth every penny. We've got Vado's and Como's on the floor in 3.0-5.0. The Como and Vado 5.0 both use the big battery and 1.3 motor. No need to get a 4.0 and upgrade the motor, the price difference between 4.0 and 5.0 is $950 and you get a better drivetrain, motor, battery, and in the Como's case front rack too.
Fully agree

The Vado/Como 5 uses the 1.3 motor that develops 90Nm of torque. On my Vado the power meter reports up to an 800W motor output with my max effort. Do you want more than this or did you want to swap the 1.3 motor into say a Vado/Como 3?

I was thinking of a motor swap if they are interchangeable
Your LBS could confirm this, but if you want a 1.3 motor in a Vado/Como 3 I'd wager that you'd be better of just buying a Vado/Como 5 to begin with. I doubt the dealer can credit you anything for the original 1.2e motor. After paying replacement parts markup on a 1.3 motor plus shop labor it'd seem to me that you'd be lucky to be a wash with the cost of the more expensice bikes, and you'd still have the Vado/Como 3 drive train, brakes, and smaller battery rather than the upgrades that come with the 5 series.

Your LBS could confirm this, but if you want a 1.3 motor in a Vado/Como 3 I'd wager that you'd be better of just buying a Vado/Como 5 to begin with. I doubt the dealer can credit you anything for the original 1.2e motor. After paying replacement parts markup on a 1.3 motor plus shop labor it'd seem to me that you'd be lucky to be a wash with the cost of the more expensice bikes, and you'd still have the Vado/Como 3 drive train, brakes, and smaller battery rather than the upgrades that come with the 5 series.
Seriously. I have the 1.3e in my Como, and I love my Como. But Tim is telling it right as it is. When in doubt, buy up and early, don't build up later....But you have to know that you are going to ride it enough to appreciate the extra cost.

What kind of difference in performance does a 1.3e motor provide?
The e stands for efficient. It is not an upgrade, its a downgrade on performance. It goes with a smaller battery to give it a bit more range. The performance hit is noticable, I believe, but haven't ridden the powerfull one that most on here have. I climb some serious PA hills with high effort, but nothing like the High Serrias. I still have no idea what my battery range is, but its further than I can go

What kind of difference in performance does a 1.3e motor provide?
I don't believe there is a 1.3e motor. Perhaps you were referring to the 1.3 motor in the Como/Vado 5 ebikes? The 1.2e motor is spec'd for the 2020 Como 3 ebikes.

This motor power curve is a couple of years old but it still representative of the peak output of the 1.2e motor vs the 1.3. I haven't found a graph what that shows motor torques for both models, but the peak torque for the 1.3 motor is 90Nm and 50 Nm for the 1.2e.

mceclip9.png

hanks
I don't believe there is a 1.3e motor. Perhaps you were referring to the 1.3 motor in the Como/Vado 5 ebikes? The 1.2e motor is spec'd for the 2020 Como 3 ebikes.

This motor power curve is a couple of years old but it still representative of the peak output of the 1.2e motor vs the 1.3. I haven't found a graph what that shows motor torques for both models, but the peak torque for the 1.3 motor is 90Nm and 50 Nm for the 1.2e.

View attachment 60038
Thanks Tim. I typed the number wrong, I was concentrating on the E on the end, that E is a lower performance version that provides longer range with the smaller battery. The big power jump is 1.3 vs 1.2 for hills and headwinds.
And we really should just move a bunch of these what motor ? how many watts ? how much torque ? threads to offtopic, I suspect

Last edited:
Back