Tero Turbo 3.0 motor issues?

dougth

Region
USA
I bought a Tero Turbo 3.0 last Aug and love the bike. 1800 miles, I only use 10-30% boost occasionally for climbing or killer headwinds, and my battery range is usually around 250 miles. My brother bought one later and has about 400 miles on his. Yesterday we were doing a 60 mile gravel ride with hills and headwinds. 36 miles in his motor made grinding noises and had a lot of drag and he had to stop and call for a ride. He had only used 20% of his battery so not an issue there.
This is VERY troubling b/c we do a 400 mile trail ride each summer and planned on using these bikes this year. So.....I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? He won't be able to get to a dealer for a week or so and wanted background info. I did a Google search and didn't find any links to the issue.

There's at least one shop out there that talks about how to work on these and have interesting teardown videos, e.g.

You'll probably be fine under warranty, but maybe those videos will give you ideas about what's going on before then.

I bought a Tero Turbo 3.0 last Aug and love the bike. 1800 miles, I only use 10-30% boost occasionally for climbing or killer headwinds, and my battery range is usually around 250 miles. My brother bought one later and has about 400 miles on his. Yesterday we were doing a 60 mile gravel ride with hills and headwinds. 36 miles in his motor made grinding noises and had a lot of drag and he had to stop and call for a ride. He had only used 20% of his battery so not an issue there.
This is VERY troubling b/c we do a 400 mile trail ride each summer and planned on using these bikes this year. So.....I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? He won't be able to get to a dealer for a week or so and wanted background info. I did a Google search and didn't find any links to the issue.
Hey Ben, thanks for the response. I'm actually looking for info on how common this issue might be because this sucks, but your links gave me a lot of info about the motors, the brand, and impressed upon me the importance of being REALLY careful about washing them down since the bb shafts apparently aren't sealed well at all. Thanks!

Hey Ben, thanks for the response. I'm actually looking for info on how common this issue might be, but your links gave me a lot of info about the motors, the brand, and impressed upon me the importance of being REALLY careful about washing them down since the bb shafts apparently aren't sealed well at all. Thanks!

Back