What is your guesstimate for the cost of charging a Bosch Powerpack 500?

My condo wants to charge me for the cost of charging my R&M Homage. I am trying to determine a fair cost. I am charged at the rate of $0:08/kW/h for electricity . What would be the cost to charge a Bosch powerpack 500?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
My condo wants to charge me for the cost of charging my R&M Homage. I am trying to determine a fair cost. I am charged at the rate of $0:08/kW/h for electricity . What would be the cost to charge a Bosch powerpack 500?

Thanks for your help.
If you charged from 0-100%, it is 0.5 kWh. Four cents at theoretical efficiency of 100%, perhaps 5 cents maximum per charge.

So if you charge every day to 100 percent that would be about $15 per year.

Keep in mind that practical efficiencies aren't 100 percent. It is hard to imagine any scenario where you could use more than $20 or so in electricity each year, though.

If it were me I'd just negotiate a flat annual rate based on the above numbers and make the whole issue go away. It obviously isn't worth much of anybody's time arguing about $20.

the efficiency of these things (and the low cost of electricity in north america!) is stunning. people look at a big, sophisticated looking machine like a r+m bike and assume it sucks up a ton of juice… but it’s a rare person who uses a full charge a day. pennies a day!

in 6 months, i’ve ridden my creo almost 3,000 miles and used 4,020wH…. 4.02 kwH. let’s say the charger used 5kwH, that’s a buck at our .21/kwh rate. lol.

Thanks for your help.
they are being stupid. are they goign to charge you for charging your ipad and phone?? almost everything in your place uses more power.

Thanks for your help.
$0.08/KwH!? A bargain by California standards where our rates, depending on usage time, Zodiac sign, etc, are up to 400% higher.

I assume you're charging in the condo common area where the HOA pays for the power, rather than using power from your unit or patio? I can see where some owners would be concerned as a portion of their HOA fees pay for power in the common areas. I like the flat rate deal. Keeps it simple. Good luck.

Last edited:
Your condo board is probably looking at the costs of charging an EV. Keep life simple and show them the relative difference between you and a Tesla with a 100KWh battery. Your Bosch is .5KWH or 1/200 the size of a Tesla. So if they charge the Tesla guy 10 bucks, they should charge you a nickel.

Thanks for your help.
I'd like to see the surprised looks on their face when you show them all the math and they realize how little it is per year to charge it lol. I'm not trying to be mean, I think it's just such an eye opener for people how efficient these are.

Isn't your condo electricity use measured in some way? How much do you pay for your toaster, coffee maker, refrigerator, A/C, etc. The energy used to charge your e-bike falls into nothingness compared to your total household usage.

Your condo board is probably looking at the costs of charging an EV. Keep life simple and show them the relative difference between you and a Tesla with a 100KWh battery. Your Bosch is .5KWH or 1/200 the size of a Tesla. So if they charge the Tesla guy 10 bucks, they should charge you a nickel.
How do you figure 5 KW? What is the battery voltage?

Thanks for your help.
Individual charging rates makes total sense. Housing properties of all sizes need to plan for EV charging stations for all of their many residents who today or tomorrow will own one or more e-vehicles. Including bikes, scooters and Teslas.
Property owners need to recover their investment costs for building electric charging stations throughout their residential parking lots — and individualized pricing that includes the cost of the infrastructure plus the electricity costs — to be equitable.
In the future, shared facility bike-charging may be cheap at $10 per month!

We hear this on occasion for some of our customers living in condo's and in some office buildings situations about the cost of electricity being used. Hearing less now that electric cars are more commonplace.

Costs here are between 8.2 cents per kWh off-peak to 17.1 cents per kWh at peak. So we figured that the average person here in Canada (3 seasons of riding typically for most) would consume less than $20.00 per year at most. We actually lend out our Belkin F7C005Q Conserve Insight Energy Cost Monitor where a customer can enter the cost of electricity (typically plug in the higher number) and this usually puts the problem to rest.

Belkin F7C005Q Conserve Insight Energy Cost Monitor.jpg

hope this helps,

Will

I have this gadget wich calculate about everything I plug in it.

Hope this help

Attachments

• Capture d’écran, le 2022-05-30 à 14.35.27.png
    Capture d’écran, le 2022-05-30 à 14.35.27.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Prices are dramatically increasing here in Central IL. Still cheap charging an eBike, but going up about 50%

Back